Whats this all about? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Oct 15th, 2005, 11:24 pm Thread Starter

Whats this all about?

Taken from I-bmw.com:

Good day I-BMW friends;

Two years+ back, I-BMW.com made the naive decision of co-locating our then 4 year old operation with a relatively new offering from a seemingly similarly enthusiastic grass roots group of folks from the BMWLT community.

Despite donating a server & promise of member funds, predicated by a yet to be conceived written agreement to facilitate overhead for the 2005/2006 time frames, this group wishes to impart a backwardly static & Big Brothered approach to your life which will become evident in the coming months & for which I want no part of.

Unjustifiably, and without notice, our community, this 7 year old hobby, has been hijacked by the reprehensible actions of a minority – largely due to the fact that they “could”.

Despite many attempts at negotiations in recent weeks to find middle ground such as the offering of many thousands of dollars (our 2005/2006 fund drive) in "arrears" & a very exorbitant monthly hosting donation that "should" go to the collective efforts, (despite we and the LT group having had 2 years of free ISP hosting via member support as did I-BMW for 4 years prior) to ensure our livelihood, our flourishing operation was essentially halted. (This is not about money folks). All appointed admins were suspended with threads and even entire forums deleted largely as a result of our "flavor" not suiting their views of what a motorcycling community should represent.

Additionally, our "PayPal" donation link was re-coded to point any future offerings to the LT coffers.

There will likely be finger pointing & more mis-truths coming from Big Brother's camp including rhetoric concerning "agreements" etc.- for which there were none. It was ultimately impossible for us however to overcome the inertia of poor planning, ethics & negligible business savvy- hence where we are.

I urge you to consider that a "fund drive" is a likely, immanent goal of the "new" site's offering - a goal you've previously paid for.

Will your new forum look good & serve an enthusiastic community? You bet. Let's face it, this long lived, 8,000+ member community is more important & larger than how it's presented to you..........

We'll likely be back J

Until then, enjoy the "new" community, ride safely & thanks for your friendship over the years.....

Red Bank, NJ
2006 K1200R
2008 K1200LT
2012 K1600GTL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Oct 16th, 2005, 12:18 am

Looks like some explaination in the "Chit-Chat" forum:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1168

Tate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 Old Oct 16th, 2005, 1:08 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the link. Who needs daytime soaps, when I have stuff like this to read. What bums me out, is that the end users suffer when events like this happen. I never mind donating to a board to keep it running, and the funny thing was I was just about to throw some Paypal funds towards that site. Randy, you must have the patience of a saint.

Red Bank, NJ
2006 K1200R
2008 K1200LT
2012 K1600GTL

post #4 of 4 Old Oct 16th, 2005, 1:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdarke
Thanks for the link. Who needs daytime soaps, when I have stuff like this to read. What bums me out, is that the end users suffer when events like this happen. I never mind donating to a board to keep it running, and the funny thing was I was just about to throw some Paypal funds towards that site. Randy, you must have the patience of a saint.
He DOES.
He has to with all of us!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in