Incompetent Dealership? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 11:34 am Thread Starter

Incompetent Dealership?

Ok,
This is my 2nd dealing with my local dealership...and over the phone even. I called to order the parts list I got from Ari, to install my bank of Farkle controls.

Well, during the conversation with the counter guy, it was pretty reasonable, then I asked about the "Smartire" product I looked at there during my 1st visit. He said it is 199.00 and on sale for 50% off at 99.00. So, I told him to add that to my order, he asked if I wanted them to install it, and I said, no, I will get it. He gave me my total and it was 100.00 more than originally quoted. When I asked him about it, he said.. "Oh, the smartire is 199.00 and only 99.00 if we install it" I asked how much to install it, he said "I don't know, we haven't been able to successfully install one yet" I then asked to speak to someone in service. He said they have installed one on a GS and it works fine, but he attempted one on a K12RS, and they installed the rear, then the front and found out it wouldn't fit on the rim. So, they had to remove all the equipment and remove the rear tire to remove that first sensor. So I asked him "Are you sure it will work on the LT" he said "No, we will not know till we get in there" I then asked him again if I buy it, can they do the rim side and I will do the readout and connection to power, etc. He said they cannot do that. I then asked how many hours to install and he said anywhere from 3-4hours. Which sounds EXTREMELY far fetched to me.

Every time I talk to ANYONE there, be a salesperson, counter jockey, or wrench man I get met with the same wishy washy ignorance and NO professionalism, nor courtesy. I am SERIOUSLY contemplating adding a GT to my herd (BEFORE the wife gets back from Iraq) soon. I have realized today, that once my parts get in, I will pick them up and say Adios to the sheer incompetence that is BMW/Ducati of Colorado Springs.

Anyone out there have experience with Smartire? Where to have installed? How long did it take and have any of you done it yourself? I would have to remove the tires and take to have broken down, return to add sensors, then have them remounted and balanced, then reinstall myself. I want to put this on a power switch as well, again back to the bank of switches Ari is going to help me with during his short stint in the US.

Any help would be great. Just hate that my next nearest Dealership is just less than 100miles away.

Bill

Colorado Springs, CO
2003 K1200LTE "Infinite"
2002 HD FXDL "Kristi"
2002 K1200RS "Monique"
1996 R1100RT "Kami"
1988 K75s no name
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 11:53 am

Sorry to hear about your frustration with CS.

Call Martin in Service at BMW Of Denver. They are great. Not sure if they will do the smart tire install. But, at least you know they are very competent and reasonably priced. They have a master tech as well.

Both Adam and I know him well and there ain't no better that I have dealt with.

post #3 of 11 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 12:28 pm Thread Starter

Got him on the phone

Thanks,
I got Martin on the phone right now, and he definitely knows you Bob. He said they are at 75/hr, whereas my dealership is 69/hr(but hey, you get what you pay for) Martin is saying they will do the rim install and I can do the rest or he feels it will be 2hours to get this done completely with them. That is the full install. He is unsure of the Smartire price, and is going to give me a call back today it is officially 1059am MST.... his first test.....haha.

Bob, I am scheduled for service here in Springs on the 25th for just an oil change and such. Do you know how to do this on the LT? I would like to switch everything to synthetics...if you do, could I pay you for your time to show me how to do it? I will take my bike up to Denver for the Smartire install, then maybe a lil wrench session with you?

Well, Martin JUST called back @ 1114am MST, so, 15mins....yea, I like him. He said the retail price is 199 and he is selling it for 140.00, So, I will have just under 3 Bills to get it installed. He said this weekend he could do it, but he wants his Master Tech to do the job for me and he is off this weekend. I work at the PD next weekend, so currently I am going to wait till I get my August Schedule. I will probably be able to set it for the 1st Sat in August.

He also has all the records for my bike up there already.

Thanks again Bob

Bill

Colorado Springs, CO
2003 K1200LTE "Infinite"
2002 HD FXDL "Kristi"
2002 K1200RS "Monique"
1996 R1100RT "Kami"
1988 K75s no name

Last edited by pieceofficer; Jul 18th, 2006 at 12:34 pm.

post #4 of 11 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 12:31 pm

The SmarTire will fit on LT wheels with no trouble. It's surprising to hear that they installed one on a GS......the center trough of the front GS spoke wheel is a little narrow, and on mine, I had to file a little chamfer on the underside of the sensor to get it to fit correctly.

When I installed SmarTire on our LT and GS, I removed the wheels at home, hauled them to the dealer, where I had the dealer dismount the tires. I then personally installed the sensors, and with me hovering over the tire installer, had them remount the tires and balance the wheels; prior to that I had reviewed the SmarTire instructions re: tire mounting procedure. No sweat, but I am fortunate enough to have a very good dealer (BMW of Fresno). Now I mount my own tires, but that's the way I did it at the time.

Putting the readout on a switch should be no problem.....the wire going to the readout is just for power. Ours is switched along with the GPS, Sirius and radar detector. HTH.

Tom and Rosie Sperry
IBA 303, 304
Hanford, CA
post #5 of 11 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 12:44 pm

Although your dealer does sound like a shop filled with morons...I'm not too certain I would want to install accessories if I owned a dealership. Most accessories are a tech-support nightmare. Especially electronic ones.
post #6 of 11 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 2:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieceofficer
Thanks,
I got Martin on the phone right now, and he definitely knows you Bob. He said they are at 75/hr, whereas my dealership is 69/hr(but hey, you get what you pay for) Martin is saying they will do the rim install and I can do the rest or he feels it will be 2hours to get this done completely with them. That is the full install. He is unsure of the Smartire price, and is going to give me a call back today it is officially 1059am MST.... his first test.....haha.

Bob, I am scheduled for service here in Springs on the 25th for just an oil change and such. Do you know how to do this on the LT? I would like to switch everything to synthetics...if you do, could I pay you for your time to show me how to do it? I will take my bike up to Denver for the Smartire install, then maybe a lil wrench session with you?

Well, Martin JUST called back @ 1114am MST, so, 15mins....yea, I like him. He said the retail price is 199 and he is selling it for 140.00, So, I will have just under 3 Bills to get it installed. He said this weekend he could do it, but he wants his Master Tech to do the job for me and he is off this weekend. I work at the PD next weekend, so currently I am going to wait till I get my August Schedule. I will probably be able to set it for the 1st Sat in August.

He also has all the records for my bike up there already.

Thanks again Bob
Bob, Bill and I were talking about oil changes and the like... we should finally get together and plan for some hours changing oil and basic guy/motorcycle talk....
Adam
post #7 of 11 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 2:20 pm

Adam,

Sorry I did not get back to you this weekend, my sprinkler system is pretty much FUBAR right now. This weekend will be bad too as I am going to the black hills.

Maybe the following weekend? I would love to get together with the other LT owners. I am sure it would educational.

Tom
post #8 of 11 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 6:36 pm

Bill,

FYI-I have only heard good things about the Springs dealership up until now and I bought a couple items from them last summer with no issue.

Hopefully they're not on a downward spiral...

Tim

2005 Graphite
The only way to live is in the wind....
post #9 of 11 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 7:01 pm Thread Starter

Found it!

I couldn't find the thread, if it was to be relocated I would have figured it would have been relocated to the "Dealer" forum...but Chit Chat??

Anyway,
I have had bad experiences...and I am glad you have had good experiences.....I figured there had to be a few of you to keep the lights on.

Time will tell, but the 1.4hour drive EACH way is WEELLLL worth not having to deal with the incompetence locally.

Adam,
THIS weekend will be my ONLY weekend this month. Next month I am unsure as the schedule hasn't been ripped yet.

Bill

Colorado Springs, CO
2003 K1200LTE "Infinite"
2002 HD FXDL "Kristi"
2002 K1200RS "Monique"
1996 R1100RT "Kami"
1988 K75s no name
post #10 of 11 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 7:49 pm

Bill, Bob, Adam

I would help with the services if I am here on that weekend. I have been doing my own for the past 60k miles. This weekend we are supposed to go camping. I am off during the week if that works for you. I am due for my 60k service but my bike is at the shop, Martin is taking care of me, for a final drive that gave out yesterday while on the way home to Denver from San Antonio.
post #11 of 11 Old Jul 19th, 2006, 9:52 pm

BMW Denver - Worth the drive

Trust me on this one. BMW of Denver is the best dealer in CO for service - bar none. I tried saving money once and used BMW/Ducati Ft Collins. Biggest disappointment I have ever had with my bike. i have talked to several BMW owners and never heard a negative comment about BMW Denver. The same cannot be said for CoSprings, Foothills or FtCollins, and no, I don't work for the dealership - FWIW

You don't stop riding because you get old....
You get old because you stop riding!
Skip
02 Black - "The Groove"
04 FLHRTP - "The Work Bike"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in