• 1 Post By DesertBMW1301
  • 1 Post By deputy5211

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old Oct 10th, 2014, 12:29 pm Thread Starter
Community Manager/Admin

Garage
Exclamation State of the Site Update

Hello all,

We would like to first start of by apologizing to the community, founders, and staff of the site for the recent confusion and mis steps taken. I don't want to bring it all up again in detail but I will just say there were errors made on our part and we want to move forward. My main goal is restore trust and make it right for you all.

As a motorsports enthusiast and long time forum power user I understand your frustration and would feel the same way if this happened on one of my favorite home base communities. This place is a special site to many of you, you have met lifelong friends, shared personal stories/adventure, developed a community and knowledge base for like minded enthusiasts. Our intentions were not to destroy or hinder this but to protect it, however the steps taken were heavy handed. That being said we have been working on resolving issues and speaking with key members in order to understand what happened, what intentions were, and to make sure it does not happen again.

I would like to mention the following steps we have already taken to help restore the community.
- Unbanned or taken key members out of Tachy (if I missed anybody please let me know)
- Resolved the Virus issue
- Removed word filters in posts and PM's (you are free to discuss and mention YouRide)
- It is allowed to post links to other sites, we just do not allow "spam" or "mass" pm's

I know there is still damage control and work to be done. Just be patient and reach out to me so I can handle it personally. I would prefer to keep this thread from turning into a flame or bashing thread, it is an open forum to discuss the future and apologize for the past mistakes. We hope to earn your trust back as company and myself as an Admin on the site.

Thanks in advance for the understanding and feel free to reach out to me anytime with an @mention or PM and I will respond ASAP.

Jeff
Community Manager
docedkin, dfinazzo, Hilton and 4 others like this.

Jeff aka The Pun
Community Manager/Admin
Motorcycle.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old Oct 10th, 2014, 1:06 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: State of the Site Update

Can't send you a PM. Need my max PM reset based on Lifetime member. The
post #3 of 27 Old Oct 10th, 2014, 1:11 pm Thread Starter
Community Manager/Admin

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMartin View Post
Can't send you a PM. Need my max PM reset based on Lifetime member. The
Setting changed on my end, I could only received from mods/admins. Must have been a default.

Fire away.

Jeff

Jeff aka The Pun
Community Manager/Admin
Motorcycle.com

post #4 of 27 Old Oct 10th, 2014, 3:54 pm

Thanks Jeff.

Everybody and everything ends up with an issue(s) from time to time. How we respond to these issues is a good measure of our true character.

You are on the right track.
pkpr1998 and VS Jeff like this.

B D R
post #5 of 27 Old Oct 10th, 2014, 4:12 pm
Lifetime Supporter

It is a rare individual who is capable of stepping up and admitting error on their or their organization's part. You seem to be a stand-up guy and did what you needed to make things right. A tip of the hat for what you've done on this.
DanDiver, ibbones, PadG and 1 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 27 Old Oct 10th, 2014, 4:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by VS Jeff View Post
Hello all,

We would like to first start of by apologizing to the community, founders, and staff of the site for the recent confusion and mis steps taken. I don't want to bring it all up again in detail but I will just say there were errors made on our part and we want to move forward. My main goal is restore trust and make it right for you all.

As a motorsports enthusiast and long time forum power user I understand your frustration and would feel the same way if this happened on one of my favorite home base communities. This place is a special site to many of you, you have met lifelong friends, shared personal stories/adventure, developed a community and knowledge base for like minded enthusiasts. Our intentions were not to destroy or hinder this but to protect it, however the steps taken were heavy handed. That being said we have been working on resolving issues and speaking with key members in order to understand what happened, what intentions were, and to make sure it does not happen again.

I would like to mention the following steps we have already taken to help restore the community.
- Unbanned or taken key members out of Tachy (if I missed anybody please let me know)
- Resolved the Virus issue
- Removed word filters in posts and PM's (you are free to discuss and mention YouRide)
- It is allowed to post links to other sites, we just do not allow "spam" or "mass" pm's

I know there is still damage control and work to be done. Just be patient and reach out to me so I can handle it personally. I would prefer to keep this thread from turning into a flame or bashing thread, it is an open forum to discuss the future and apologize for the past mistakes. We hope to earn your trust back as company and myself as an Admin on the site.

Thanks in advance for the understanding and feel free to reach out to me anytime with an @mention or PM and I will respond ASAP.

Jeff
Community Manager

This post means a lot to me!! An acknowledgement and apology go a long long way for me and I appreciate it.

I accept your apology.

Thank you

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 K1200LT (traded for GTL)
1984 Kawasaki Spectre: long gone
BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member
Saddle sore 1000 Sept 2011
Bun Burner 1500 Sept 2011

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

post #7 of 27 Old Oct 10th, 2014, 4:59 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Thanks for all the hard work resolving the issues. Now there is one more that I have a problem with. When I go to the Classified section I get logged out. I log back in and try to post a comment and get logged out. They (other admins) have been no help to date. Just thought I would give you an uncontroversial challenge.
VS Jeff likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #8 of 27 Old Oct 10th, 2014, 5:47 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Thanks, Jeff, for stepping up here. It means a lot to us.

Enthusiast sites like these are built on community, ease of use, and trust. Violate those, and people will simply go elsewhere.

Your willingness to address the issues raised both publicly and privately goes a long ways towards rebuilding that trust.

For as big as this website is, we're actually a pretty tightly-knit group, and we do look out for our own.

I wish YouRide.us all the best in their endeavors, and hope they find a worthy audience over time. I'll be spending some time there, as I know and respect many of the current participants, and I want to see where it heads.

But I'll remain here as well, keeping in touch with friends old and new.
Lynn_Keen, r75, DanDiver and 7 others like this.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #9 of 27 Old Oct 10th, 2014, 6:40 pm
Just ridin'

My friend Nate Coe called me a couple of days ago asking why I had stirred up such a "kerfuffle" (his word). I love that word. I didn’t stir anything up, I just got caught in the vortex. Those of you who know me know that I am rarely at a loss for words, but I was silenced during the whole dustup. Now that I am free to post again let me try to explain a few things.

First, I am working with Andy on another web community. The idea for the new community was born over 5 years ago, a long time before this web community was sold to VerticalScope. My idea for that community was to build a home for all riders of any brand of cycle - two wheels or three. It was to be run under the same guidelines (standards of behavior) I developed for this community, but not sharply focused toward any particular brand or style of rider. It was simply to be an “Enthusiast’s Community”. Enthusiast Communities, LLC is the partnership we created when we built www.bmwlt.com and K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion - Home. Right there I have misstated, we didn’t build the communities, we just put the foundation down. The members, all of you, built the communities. The new community was never envisioned as a replacement for this great community. We didn’t want to draw people away, because the focus of the new community was to be clearly different than this one.

When the decision was made to sell these two communities we chose VerticalScope because they had proven themselves good shepherds of other communities they purchased. My first and foremost goal was to protect the two communities and provide them with the stability to ensure their future. Despite some of the overreacting by VerticalScope from the beginning of this kerfuffle, I still believe they are a good organization and plan to leave this community running as it always has for the last decade. I am still an Admin on this site. I have and will continue to respond to anyone who sends me a message about any issue they have with the operation of this community. You can PM me or email me through the contact page.

I do not want to get into any of the nuts and bolts of the dustup that Jeff is desperately wanting to bring to an end. I do not want to address who did what to whom and when. I do want to state unequivocally that I have no desire to drive people away from this site to the new one. Those of you who know me know how hard I worked to grow this community as well as growing and managing the Curve Cowboy Reunion which grew from the beginnings of this community. I was a strong voice and founding member of both entities. To try to drive you away from this community would violate my desire to keep this community whole. It also violates my desires for the new community because I really don’t want it to be populated by a bunch of BMW enthusiasts, even though that is what I still ride. We welcome any of you to visit us “over there”, but it is not a replacement for “here”. If you want to join a community that is attempting the daunting task of putting motorcycling first and putting brand allegiance on the back burner you might like it over there.

For clarification, VerticalScope gave me full reigns to mention the new site by name but I will leave that to the others who are already doing so. We welcome any of you to stop in and visit and if you like it better you can make it your home. If you like both, visit both. If you want the preeminent BMW Luxury Touring site in the world we hope you remain here and continue to grow it.

In closing, I remain available to help any of you here, just drop me a message. Jeff should be your first point of contact for issues relating to this community and he has pledged to honor the “gentle moderation” guidelines of the past and if there is ever a problem in the future he promises a much more measured response. They have no problem with the free and open discussion of competing communities of any kind. We both have a problem with any effort to spit a community. I honestly believe this kerfuffle (I really like that word) was not the result of an effort to do that. I think it was grossly mishandled by the management of this community, but it will remain a “teachable moment” and they will unlikely make the same mistakes again.

In closing, do any of you find it odd that Ken Meese was the one with the measured and balanced responses in the original thread? Did the earth’s poles shift recently and I slept through it?
dshealey, Hilton, mwnahas and 8 others like this.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

Last edited by Randy; Oct 10th, 2014 at 7:01 pm.
post #10 of 27 Old Oct 10th, 2014, 10:08 pm
Jim
Slow Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post

In closing, do any of you find it odd that Ken Meese was the one with the measured and balanced responses in the original thread?
Actually, no.

Glad things are getting back to normal.
katnapinn and VS Jeff like this.

Jim Anderson
Idyllwild, CA
'04 Ural Tourist
'08 Tiger
post #11 of 27 Old Oct 12th, 2014, 10:56 pm Thread Starter
Community Manager/Admin

Garage

Thanks for the replys all,

I will respond to all PM's and requests Monday am, been traveling this weekend but I wanted to check in.

Glad we can move forward and thank you for the understanding.

Jeff

Jeff aka The Pun
Community Manager/Admin
Motorcycle.com
post #12 of 27 Old Oct 13th, 2014, 1:13 pm Thread Starter
Community Manager/Admin

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
Thanks for all the hard work resolving the issues. Now there is one more that I have a problem with. When I go to the Classified section I get logged out. I log back in and try to post a comment and get logged out. They (other admins) have been no help to date. Just thought I would give you an uncontroversial challenge.
Weird,

Can you nab a screenshot on this or is there a thread of you guys had already been working on that I can reference? Once I get some more data I can hotfix it through the developers when they are back in tomorrow. Canadian Holiday.

Jeff

Jeff aka The Pun
Community Manager/Admin
Motorcycle.com
post #13 of 27 Old Oct 13th, 2014, 1:50 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Weird,

Can you nab a screenshot on this or is there a thread of you guys had already been working on that I can reference? Once I get some more data I can hotfix it through the developers when they are back in tomorrow. Canadian Holiday.

Jeff
So just to confuse things a little, I can go in and out of the Classifieds section with no issue...

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #14 of 27 Old Oct 13th, 2014, 2:45 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Weird,

Jeff
Ok here is a series of shots. Start at the top level in classified, then click on an add(logged out), hit the back arrow(logged in), click on different ad (logged out) while on ad log back in, then click on "forums" (logged back out).

Browser is Chrome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 Start in classifieds.PNG
Views:	63
Size:	609.4 KB
ID:	67114   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 Click on ad.PNG
Views:	60
Size:	557.4 KB
ID:	67122   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 Hit the back arrow.PNG
Views:	69
Size:	828.2 KB
ID:	67130   Click image for larger version

Name:	4 Log back in.PNG
Views:	61
Size:	634.3 KB
ID:	67138   Click image for larger version

Name:	5 Go to Forums.PNG
Views:	70
Size:	383.3 KB
ID:	67146  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

Last edited by jzeiler; Oct 13th, 2014 at 3:11 pm.
post #15 of 27 Old Oct 13th, 2014, 2:57 pm Thread Starter
Community Manager/Admin

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
Ok here is a series of shots. Start at the top level in classified, then click on an add(logged out), hit the back arrow(logged in), click on different ad (logged out) while on ad log back in, then click on "forums" (logged back out).
Thanks,

New Thread started to keep this one from going off topic.

Please post any replies here and I will advise the Dev Team:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/bmwlt-si...ml#post1115018

Jeff

Jeff aka The Pun
Community Manager/Admin
Motorcycle.com
post #16 of 27 Old Oct 15th, 2014, 8:45 am Thread Starter
Community Manager/Admin

Garage

FYI - Just a quick update on some small fixes.

About Us Restored:
A community photo gallery - My Photo Gallery

Advertise Restored:
BMW Luxury Touring Community - Contact Us

Jeff

Jeff aka The Pun
Community Manager/Admin
Motorcycle.com
post #17 of 27 Old Oct 15th, 2014, 9:51 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Might be just me but when I click on "Your Notifications: 4" in the top right of the home Page then click on "New Likes Received" I get this.

Not Found

The requested URL /member.php was not found on this server.

Stevie Shreeve
post #18 of 27 Old Oct 15th, 2014, 9:55 am Thread Starter
Community Manager/Admin

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn View Post
Might be just me but when I click on "Your Notifications: 4" in the top right of the home Page then click on "New Likes Received" I get this.

Not Found

The requested URL /member.php was not found on this server.
@katnapinn

I have seen that on sites before, however just tested and seems to work for me on Chrome on my PC. I will test further and let ya know what I find.

How about with the @mention notification?

Jeff

Jeff aka The Pun
Community Manager/Admin
Motorcycle.com
post #19 of 27 Old Oct 15th, 2014, 9:57 am

I'm on a Mac if that helps any.

I just tried again and it worked fine strange?!?
VS Jeff likes this.

Stevie Shreeve
post #20 of 27 Old Oct 15th, 2014, 10:09 am

Quote:
I'm on a Mac if that helps any.

I just tried again and it worked fine strange?!?
It only seams to do it on "LIKES". If I click any other line it works fine.

Stevie Shreeve
post #21 of 27 Old Oct 17th, 2014, 3:57 pm

Talking Re: State of the Site Update

Quote:
It only seems to do it on "LIKES". If I click any other line it works fine.
With the unequivocal statement that you asked for it, ...

It is clear that when you try to find out who likes you, there is nobody there, ....
SweetPea and VS Jeff like this.

EXCELSIOR !!!

----- Barrett
Free at last!

Austin & Crystal Beach TX, Drummond, WI

CCRs - Hot Springs '01, Santa Fe '02, Breckenridge '04, Jackson '05, Braselton '06, Osage Beach '07, Midway '08, Black Hills '09, Killington '10, Boise '11, Duluth '12, Bend '13, Chattanooga in '14, and Coeur d'Alene in 2015.
post #22 of 27 Old Oct 17th, 2014, 4:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by icepick View Post

It is clear that when you try to find out who likes you, there is nobody there, ....
Man with friends like this who needs enemies

Stevie Shreeve
post #23 of 27 Old Oct 17th, 2014, 6:52 pm Thread Starter
Community Manager/Admin

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by icepick View Post

I liked this, lol.

Jeff aka The Pun
Community Manager/Admin
Motorcycle.com
post #24 of 27 Old Oct 17th, 2014, 6:53 pm Thread Starter
Community Manager/Admin

Garage

Quote:
It only seams to do it on "LIKES". If I click any other line it works fine.
10-4, I will have the guys look it it.

Seem it happen before, just a plugin setting.

Thanks,
Jeff
(The Liker)

Jeff aka The Pun
Community Manager/Admin
Motorcycle.com
post #25 of 27 Old Oct 17th, 2014, 9:41 pm

This is awesome. Glad to see everyone handling thus like adults. Seen some of these things collapse because of what was happening. From a newer member....thank you. I am looking forward to listening and learning more about this fine machine called BMW.
VS Jeff likes this.

Ken
El Paso Texas

2007 K1200LT
post #26 of 27 Old Oct 20th, 2014, 11:13 am Thread Starter
Community Manager/Admin

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertBMW1301 View Post
This is awesome. Glad to see everyone handling thus like adults. Seen some of these things collapse because of what was happening. From a newer member....thank you. I am looking forward to listening and learning more about this fine machine called BMW.
Yes, I am happy things are going well. I too have also seem the result of continued poor maintenance form the power user and admin side.

Lets keep on riding!

Jeff

Jeff aka The Pun
Community Manager/Admin
Motorcycle.com
post #27 of 27 Old Dec 8th, 2014, 9:29 pm

First of all, shame on you. Pretty crappy way to handle things in the first place.

Second, goodonya for accepting that you screwed up, for owning it and apologizing, and for taking steps to rebuild bridges where possible.

Some things from the wish list that I would like you to address, in part.

1) Increase PM counts. Those of us here for many years have eaten most up with archiving important things.

2) Increase edit window for posts so that I can go back and edit my posts whenever I need to, not just for a few hours after I wrote it.

3) Understand what made this community such a great place, what caused it to flourish and grow over the years into something you wanted to acquire. Once you understand it, let it be.

Thank you.
cws likes this.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in