My first Smart Phone (one of the last hold-outs!) - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Aug 17th, 2014, 7:21 am Thread Starter

My first Smart Phone (one of the last hold-outs!)

For a number of reasons, I just took the SIM card out of my ancient flip phone and put it into my wifes hand me down Android Galaxy III and have joined the 21st century. It's time to load applications and what a mind blowing experience. What are some of your favorites that you don't want to be without? After a week of playing, it's time to get it set up. Any hints or tricks that will save me some time? I've already noticed that I have to charge it up every day. My flip phone seemed to go for days between charges. It also seems to get pretty hot at times. Is that normal?

Weather / radar seems to be the one I'm looking at the most. I've got my GPS on the bike with Bluetooth so it looks like I'll be able to connect it to the intercom.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Aug 17th, 2014, 7:57 am

Re: My first Smart Phone (one of the last hold-outs!)

Google maps for finding my way, My Radar for instant weather maps, Inrix Traffic for road conditions, The Weather Channel app for forecasts, Yelp for local reviews no matter where I am, and Kayak for finding and booking rooms on the road. Pandora for my music, Kindle for my books.

After that just have fun. There are fishing and knot apps, ballistic performance apps, banking apps just about anything you can think of is in the App Store.

Welcome to the 21st Century!

Ride Safe,

Bob
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"We were leaving confusion and nonsense behind, performing this one noble function of our time..to move"
Dean Moriarty - On The Road

'12 R1200RT
post #3 of 20 Old Aug 17th, 2014, 8:25 am

My most used:

Clinometer (Level)
RealCalc (Calculator)
ElectroDroid (Electrical/Electronic calculators)
Flipboard (News, can set up what areas you are interested in)
MyRadar (Weather radar)
The Weather Channel (Local weather, will follow you)
PireWheel (Electrical resistance calculator)
StopWatch & Timer (self explanatory)
For browser I like "Dolphin" best.

Is your phone the Galaxy SIII? That is what I have, see no need to upgrade. It is a marvelous phone.

Unfortunately, yes, you do have to charge daily. That is pretty much the norm for most of the newer smart phones. Keep Bluetooth and WiFi turned off when not needed!

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 20 Old Aug 17th, 2014, 8:48 am Thread Starter

Thanks

Yes, it's a Galaxy SIII.

These two posts will probably keep me occupied for quite a while. I noticed "Swiss Army Knife" loaded on the phone with a lot of Dave's technical suggestions. Randomly, I loaded "MyRadar" and like the simplicity.

Thanks for the great suggestions..

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #5 of 20 Old Aug 17th, 2014, 9:31 am

I've had a Droid since the first day of the first release. I have run the gamut of testing/trying/using apps. This is a barebones list of apps that I use EVERY day.

In alphabetical order...
  • Alarm Clock Xtreme - Because most stock alarm clock apps aren't enough. And, it has all the stopwatch/timer stuff in it, as well.
  • Bedside - Customizable app for when the phone is docked next to the bed.
  • Car Dock - Customizable app for the when the phone is in a car dock (on my bike with BIG icons).
  • Chrome to Phone - Why more people don't use this or even know about this app is beyond me. Create a route on your desktop/laptop, then send it to your phone with just one click. And several other uses.
  • Dropbox - If you use it on your PC, why not on your phone? If you don't know what it is, Click HERE.
  • GasBuddy - Find the cheapest gas around you, no matter where you are.
  • Go SMS Pro - Once you learn that the stock texting app just doesn't do everything you want it to do.
  • Next Browser - I've tried them ALL, including 'Chrome' and 'Dolphin'. This one is faster.
  • Pandora (One) - At $36/year, listening to Pandora without commercials is a no-brainer.
  • Spotify - At $10/month, this music lover has 99% of every album that has ever been recorded at his finger tips. And, you can download your playlists so you have music even when you run out of 4G and Wi-Fi (like in the Smoky Mountains).
  • Swype - Once you learn to swype, you'll never tap on a virtual keyboard again.
  • YaV1 - If you have a Valentine One, you need this app.

And I congratulate you for not only stepping into the 21st Century with a smart phone ... but also for not drinking the Apple Kool-Aid.

- Joe
post #6 of 20 Old Aug 17th, 2014, 12:01 pm

http://glympse.com

Glympse is my favourite bike app, it allows you to send Glympse to people and then they can follow you on a map in real time. I often use it if I am meeting up with other guys so if either of us is late it is no mystery when the other will arrive. Also use it for Cherie's piece of mind when I head out on my own. It is not quite Spot since it relies on cell coverage but pretty close.. We are going on a 4 day trip on Thursday and will be using it a lot over that time.

Gerhard

P.S. This was Glympse that I used last year on a RTE

http://www.st-owners.com/forums/show...=1#post1672995
post #7 of 20 Old Aug 17th, 2014, 2:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver View Post
Any hints or tricks that will save me some time? I've already noticed that I have to charge it up every day. My flip phone seemed to go for days between charges. It also seems to get pretty hot at times. Is that normal?

Weather / radar seems to be the one I'm looking at the most. I've got my GPS on the bike with Bluetooth so it looks like I'll be able to connect it to the intercom.
A few things to remember about any smart phone:

1. Any apps like radar, mail, contact lists, etc. that sync over the internet data connection are constantly running and polling whatever host system the app is talking with. All this causes a constant drain on the battery. Turning off anything you are not using at the time will save a lot of run time.

2. If you have Wifi and Bluetooth turned on, they will be transmitting occasionally looking for something to attach to, and cause battery drain. Turn off these items if not in use, and the battery life will be greatly extended.

3. Screen brightness is a huge variable in battery life. Turn it down to about 50% or so and you will see another large increase of battery life.

4. If you start running out of memory for apps or music or such, keep in mind that most people have at least 40 or apps loaded, and never use many of them at all. Delete whatever you are not using.

5. You probably want to wire a power connection for the phone, as tying it into the bike intercom system or helmet will use the Bluetooth connection and increase battery drain on top of whatever else is running.

Have fun ! (No texting when riding !!)

Doug Stracener
2011 RT polar metallic
Attorney,
MSF #127350,
Instructor, Motorcycle Safety Program Louisiana Department of Public Safety
NAUI Scuba Instructor #36288
Divers Alert Network Board member
post #8 of 20 Old Aug 17th, 2014, 2:53 pm Thread Starter

Glimpse is sweet... Ill use it next week...

Battery life tips are appreciated...

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #9 of 20 Old Aug 17th, 2014, 8:16 pm

I think your bike has a USB port which you could plug your phone in to to charge, using Glympse is hard on the battery because it uses the GPS the whole time it is running so I always plug into the USB port when using that app.

Gerhard
post #10 of 20 Old Aug 17th, 2014, 8:41 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerhard View Post
I think your bike has a USB port which you could plug your phone in to to charge, using Glympse is hard on the battery because it uses the GPS the whole time it is running so I always plug into the USB port when using that app.

Gerhard
Thanks, It does. It's pretty far though from my tank bag and I might just route a cord from my battery. Battery Tender makes an $11.00 adapter that plugs into the "pigtail" that I have connected to my battery for charging. I showed that ap to my wife and she is insisting that I start to use it on trips. I'll have her use it when she goes shopping!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #11 of 20 Old Aug 18th, 2014, 9:26 am

Dan, looks like you have a pretty good list from this thread to get you started. Here's a couple for you to consider that I like:

Google Sky Map: Lets you study the stars with authority.

Fall Monitor: If you travel alone this app could be a life saver. It will detect a fall and, after a 40 sec delay during which you can cancel, will send a text to the phone of your choice with a message that you may require help and it will include a set of coordinates showing your location.

Enjoy your new phone and the occasional frustration trying to figure out why it won't do what you think it should be doing!

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 20 Old Aug 18th, 2014, 9:57 am

Since you have an Android device rather than an Apple product you can get a Micro SD card to expand your on-board storage. I recommend it, you can put movies, music and files there so that you can take every conceivable thing you might want or need with you when you go out.

My browser of choice is Chrome, have it on my work issued iPhone, my personal tablet and my desktop. The best thing is that I can open up a web page I visited on any of those devices on any other of those devices, plus all my bookmarks are available across all devices. Also saves my usernames and passwords across all devices (the ones I donít care if it remembers).

Beyond that, make sure you have Pandora, Slacker, Netflix, Hulu for entertainment, and an app that allows you to use the flash as a flashlight (if itís not already built in).

Some of my other favorite (fun) apps are Jetpack Joyride, Flight Control, Fruit Ninja, and Real Racing 3 (beware, this is a battery zapper).

-Steve

2000 BMW K1200LT
2000 BMW R1200C
post #13 of 20 Old Aug 18th, 2014, 10:39 am

Quote:
I might just route a cord from my battery. Battery Tender makes an $11.00 adapter that plugs into the "pigtail" that I have connected to my battery for charging.
Just make sure that the output voltage is around 5.5 volts as the full 12 to 14 volts coming off the battery may harm the phone.

Gerhard
post #14 of 20 Old Aug 31st, 2014, 12:26 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerhard View Post
http://glympse.com

Glympse is my favourite bike app, it allows you to send Glympse to people and then they can follow you on a map in real time.

Gerhard

[/url]
WOW !! Gerhard, my wife loves you!!

I just got back from a 2,500 mile trip and she said she was glued to her monitor, watching me almost in real time. Even side trips into building were easily followed, with pictures of the buildings. Not sure if I like it as much, but I had to promise to use it whenever I'm on my bike. She said she felt like she was on the trip with me. Thanks for the great suggestion. I did have to keep the phone plugged in to power because it was really using up the battery by 10% or more an hour. Occasionally 20% an hour. While riding it was OK but walking around just about killed it.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #15 of 20 Old Aug 31st, 2014, 8:46 pm

Dan,

If you're not using Google for your contact list I would suggest doing so. It will sync across all of your devices and if your phone gets totaled the contacts will sync automatically on your new phone.

I'm also using the Isis mobile wallet with the American Express Serve card. They are running a promotion through the end of the year where every time you use the phone for payments they will credit $1 back to your card.

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
post #16 of 20 Old Sep 1st, 2014, 10:52 am

I am glad your wife likes the app, now I just hope she doesn't become your stalker

Gerhard
post #17 of 20 Old Sep 8th, 2014, 7:46 am Thread Starter

Audio out...

After several weeks on the smartphone, there is no way that I can go back to my previous flip phone. I don't like talking on a phone anyway! The only thing I don't like is the lower audio, when talking, compared to my flip phone..

I used a friends IPhone last week and it seemed like I could hear quite a bit better than when I use my Samsung Galaxy III..

Was it my imagination or is the audio quality of the IPhone that much better? I don't wear a hearing aid, but I do have tinnitus in my left ear. Listening on either side made no difference.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #18 of 20 Old Sep 8th, 2014, 1:49 pm

Oh boy Dan'o now you've gone and done it,

I-phone verses Android is about the same
as asking do those beads in the tires really work
or which oil should I use

this ought to be interesting

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #19 of 20 Old Sep 8th, 2014, 2:47 pm

Garage
Re: Audio out...

Quote:
After several weeks on the smartphone, there is no way that I can go back to my previous flip phone. I don't like talking on a phone anyway! The only thing I don't like is the lower audio, when talking, compared to my flip phone..

I used a friends IPhone last week and it seemed like I could hear quite a bit better than when I use my Samsung Galaxy III..

Was it my imagination or is the audio quality of the IPhone that much better? I don't wear a hearing aid, but I do have tinnitus in my left ear. Listening on either side made no difference.
Try turning off the noise reduction or enabling "extra volume" while in a call.

Depending on your software version, you'll have icons on screen during the call, or press the menu button to access....

You can also get to these option by going to the phone app, pressing menu, selecting call settings. Extra volume is there, noise reduction is under "additional settings."

HTH

Gino
Modesto, CA
'02 Silver
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For they passed a noble law,
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe, and saw. --Rush
post #20 of 20 Old Sep 8th, 2014, 5:05 pm

Re: Audio out...

Quote:

Are you sure you had the volume set all the way up? My wife and I both have SIII's, and if she has hers turned up I can hear it pretty clearly 6 feet away.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in