HD posts increased profits and sales - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old Oct 13th, 2005, 5:19 am Thread Starter

HD posts increased profits and sales

Because of the consternation shown in the "down 4%" sales thread elsewhere here in Chit Chat, I thought I'd add what HD has done in the same time frame internationally. Makes one sick.

Based on the fact that HD hit a home run this year, and BMWNA lost total number of sales, from a strictly business stance, it seems time to clean house at BMWNA and start over. The opportunity to show increased sales could not have been better given a great market for MC in general and new exciting (to me) products, that though pricey compared to some UJM's, are very reasonable compared to the HD's that sold in large numbers.

I don't understand what happened to BMW sales in the US, but if I were sitting in the DR HQ, I'd have to stop the train and rethink all marketing activities.

Meanwhile, congrats to HD...what a great job of running a business.

Business

Harley-Davidson profit jumps, shares rise

(2005-10-12) By Ben Klayman

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Harley-Davidson Inc. on Wednesday posted a 16 percent increase in third-quarter profit as demand for its iconic motorcycles rose more than the market, sending shares up more than 6 percent.

Net income increased to $264.9 million, or 96 cents a share, from almost $229 million, or 77 cents a share, a year earlier. Analysts on average were expecting 90 cents a share, according to Reuters Estimates.

Sales rose 10 percent to $1.43 billion, meeting Wall Street's expectations, as demand for Harley motorcycles outpaced the total industry in each of the company's major markets.

"Not only were retail sales good in the quarter, outperforming the market, but also the guidance for next year is up 6 to 7 percent, which is in line with what the Street had," said FTN Midwest Research analyst Brian Rayle, who has a "neutral" rating on Harley's stock.

Investors have been concerned about whether the Milwaukee-based company can achieve its long-term growth targets amid fears of slowing retail demand for its Harley brand.

Shares of Harley, whose competitors include Honda Motor Co. Ltd. <7267.T> and Kawasaki Heavy Industries Ltd. <7012.T>, have slid almost 25 percent so far this year, compared with a 2.2 percent decline in the Standard & Poor's 500 index <.SPX>.

"Our motorcycles sold at a brisk pace in all of our worldwide markets," Chief Executive Jim Ziemer said in a statement, citing a 12 percent increase in U.S. retail sales of the Harley brand motorcycles.

Retail sales rose 11.5 percent in Europe and 13 percent in Japan. Retail sales worldwide rose 12.1 percent.

The company said it remains on track to ship 329,000 Harley motorcycles this year and affirmed its 2005 profit outlook.

In July, Harley raised its earnings-per-share growth target for the year due to share repurchases to between 10 percent and 13 percent from a previous range of 5 percent to 8 percent.

Given uncertainty surrounding consumer confidence, increasing fuel prices and rising interest rates, the company set a 2006 shipment target range of 348,000 to 352,000 Harley motorcycles, Ziemer said, calling it a "conservative outlook."

Harley also broadened its long-term forecast on wholesale unit growth to 5 percent to 9 percent annually, he said. That supports an annual earnings-per-share growth target in the range of 11 percent to 17 percent.

It previously said its longer-term growth forecast for motorcycle unit shipments was 7 percent to 9 percent, supporting earnings-per-share percentage increases in the mid-teens.

Third-quarter sales from Harley motorcycles rose 11.4 percent to $1.11 billion, while global shipments increased 8.7 percent to 87,585 units.

Harley's gross profit margin in the quarter improved to 39.2 percent of sales, compared with 38 percent a year before, due mostly to strong sales of higher-profit vehicles.

In trading before the market opened, Harley shares were up $3.00, or 6.6 percent, to $48.60 on the Inet electronic brokerage from Tuesday's New York Stock Exchange close.

© Copyright 2005, REUTERS

Pete Jessen
CCR 02, 03, 04, 08, 10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old Oct 14th, 2005, 12:45 am

If I recall a recent MCN article correctly, what HD does, is a good job in manipulating their stock. Some dealers were suing for shipment of unwanted bikes, and the SEC investigating for improper statement of quarterly results. I have owned HDs, and like them, but all is not perfect in the HD world either.
post #3 of 24 Old Oct 14th, 2005, 10:04 am

face it, harley is using a business model that works. whether they adopted it by accident or design is irrelevant ... it works. i say: more power to 'em. free enterprise at work. those who can, do; those who can't fall by the wayside. just ask indian, montessa, maico, bultaco and scores of companies that have failed over the years. if it weren't for free enterprise we'd all be riding urals.

if BMW is one of the companies that loses market share then shame on them. they have no one to blame but themselves. i am hoping that the K1200S, K1200R, R1200RT and R1200GS marks the beginning of a progressive new attitude that will allow them to compete.

who knows ... they may even come up with decent customer support.

post #4 of 24 Old Oct 14th, 2005, 10:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBandit
who knows ... they may even come up with decent customer support.
But will it be in time.

Vince Weidig
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 LT - LandyachT
2005 Ural Patrol
2003 Artic Cat ATV - Horse
Bayliner Cutty Cabin - Anytime
Airstream B190 -
post #5 of 24 Old Oct 14th, 2005, 10:10 am

BMW keeping pace with HD

[QUOTE=pjessen]

"Our motorcycles sold at a brisk pace in all of our worldwide markets," Chief Executive Jim Ziemer said in a statement, citing a 12 percent increase in U.S. retail sales of the Harley brand motorcycles.

Retail sales rose 11.5 percent in Europe and 13 percent in Japan. Retail sales worldwide rose 12.1 percent.

The company said it remains on track to ship 329,000 Harley motorcycles this year and affirmed its 2005 profit outlook.
-----------------------------
From the Dow Jones Newswire (Oct. 7) in an article about worldwide BMW sales:

"Sales at BMW's motorcycle unit in September were 7,089 vehicles, down 4.2% from 7,402 last year. In the first nine months of the year, sales rose 12% to 80,840 from 72,186."

It seems, at least on a global scale, BMW is keeping pace with HD. Both companies' unit shipments grew faster than the market, though BMW's market share is obviously much smaller.

Does anyone have BMW numbers for specific markets?

Nathan
post #6 of 24 Old Oct 14th, 2005, 11:16 am

my tak.e

A lot more people are getting into motorcycle ownership for the first time. Whether it is a "retirement" thing, or just "always wanted to", what ever. The HD is what all americans think when they think motorcycle! Let's face it, the HD is a great beginner bike. As long as you want to stay on the boulevard, lookin good and not wanting to seek a speed thrill, they are great! After learning to ride, you start drifting towards the outback, longer rides, traveling, those will folks upgrade to a real bike.
larry
post #7 of 24 Old Oct 14th, 2005, 12:04 pm

Thumbs down Can't ya just "Feel" the love.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoker100
Let's face it, the HD is a great beginner bike. As long as you want to stay on the boulevard, lookin good and not wanting to seek a speed thrill, they are great! After learning to ride, you start drifting towards the outback, longer rides, traveling, those will folks upgrade to a real bike.
larry
If it makes you feel better to "talk down" another brand, then have at it. Just don't describe yourself as a "motorcyclist" to me.

JMO but, Let's face it.....sometimes it is better to keep quit and let others "suspect", then to open your mouth and "confirm" it.

regards

2016 R1200RT
2015 RGU
post #8 of 24 Old Oct 14th, 2005, 6:26 pm

guess it was a little harsh

It was meant to have humor. Obviously I struck a cord of non-humor. My apology.
larry
post #9 of 24 Old Oct 14th, 2005, 8:14 pm

I've read what everyone here thinks and as this is chit chat I felt it necessary to put forth a little theory I have that was relivent to me. I SUPPORT the War in Iraq, The German's didn't. I wasn't about to give my hard earned American Greenbacks to a country that wasn't on OUR side. I was looking REAL hard at a Road Glide but the prices shot up about the time I was going to buy.
When I found a used LT I figutrd I'de give it a try, if I didn't like it I could always sell and buy an HD this winter when prices go down. I wasn't giving my money to Germany but to an American Guy. Rational, only to me, but that's who I am. I'll do most of the service myself as the bike was out of warranty and I'm pretty handy. Has an extended thru Pinnacle, American I think? Deep down we're all pretty patriotic considering the circumstances. It validates it for me. Now, let the feathers fly.

Brian A. Brodhead
God created all men, Samuel Colt made them equal

2005 BMW K1200LT Goldie goodtime plastic fm rock'n roamer
1975 Triumph T160 750 restored "Heather" For Sale
post #10 of 24 Old Oct 14th, 2005, 10:39 pm

Hello Larry,

I'm just not a fan of "brand-bashing". I've owned Honda's, Yamaha's, Suzuki's, BMW's, Harley's, etc... enjoyed them all. Some had better features or comfort or performance then the others, but they were all fun to ride. I just never saw the need to "run-down" any one against another.

regards

2016 R1200RT
2015 RGU
post #11 of 24 Old Oct 14th, 2005, 11:10 pm

wasn't intended to be brand bashing

Just having a little fun.
I'll poke at EMEA, and AP next!

Thx
larry
post #12 of 24 Old Oct 15th, 2005, 7:10 pm
Lifetime Supporter

That's OK Brian, you did good to buy a motorcyle that is returning pleasure to you. You should enjoy what you have and not worry about brand affilliation. Besides, what you thought you were spending your money on (HD) is mostly parts "Made In China" anyway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
05' K1200 LT - BMW MOA Member
05 CCR Survivor
- Team-N-Training
post #13 of 24 Old Oct 15th, 2005, 7:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ
Hello Larry,

I'm just not a fan of "brand-bashing". I've owned Honda's, Yamaha's, Suzuki's, BMW's, Harley's, etc... enjoyed them all. Some had better features or comfort or performance then the others, but they were all fun to ride. I just never saw the need to "run-down" any one against another.

regards
Hi Russ

Does your Harley have a stock exhaust? Brand-bashing H-D is perfectly legitimate, as long as most of them make the amount of noise that they do. Get your H-D buddies to return to a showroom-stock noise level, and your criticism will have merit.

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
'86 Honda CH-250 scooter (original owner)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"

Last edited by bob_menton; Oct 15th, 2005 at 7:28 pm. Reason: change a word
post #14 of 24 Old Oct 17th, 2005, 4:48 am

Whew!
Thanks Stew,
Glad I bought the Beemer, thank goodness thats cleared up!

Brian A. Brodhead
God created all men, Samuel Colt made them equal

2005 BMW K1200LT Goldie goodtime plastic fm rock'n roamer
1975 Triumph T160 750 restored "Heather" For Sale
post #15 of 24 Old Oct 17th, 2005, 9:47 am
Lifetime Supporter

-
05' K1200 LT - BMW MOA Member
05 CCR Survivor
- Team-N-Training
post #16 of 24 Old Oct 17th, 2005, 12:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_menton
Hi Russ

Does your Harley have a stock exhaust? Brand-bashing H-D is perfectly legitimate, as long as most of them make the amount of noise that they do. Get your H-D buddies to return to a showroom-stock noise level, and your criticism will have merit.

- Bob
Hello Bob,

Why, yes it does have a stock exhaust, along with a stock motor. I enjoy listening to my stereo.

Oh, and in the "spirit" of the question asked of me .... get your (insert brand) buddies to stop using the public streets/highways as their personal race track AND to stop "bragging" about riding 45mph posted corners at 70 mph and/or riding 75mph posted freeways at 90mph "plus". Brand bashing (insert brand) is perfectly ligitimate as long as most of them make no effort to obey the posted speed limits (+/- 5mph). Get your (insert brand) buddies to return to the posted speed levels, and your criticism will have merit.

Bob, neither you or I are responsible for our "buddies" and how they ride or sound. Just let the legal system handle both.

regards

2016 R1200RT
2015 RGU
post #17 of 24 Old Oct 17th, 2005, 1:08 pm

Cool Chit Chat or Tit for Tat?

Groan...

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

post #18 of 24 Old Oct 17th, 2005, 9:01 pm

Quote:
Hello Bob,

Why, yes it does have a stock exhaust, along with a stock motor. I enjoy listening to my stereo...

...Bob, neither you or I are responsible for our "buddies" and how they ride or sound. Just let the legal system handle both.

regards
One of the very few Harley riders with a stock exhaust. Congratulations, Russ. Last time I "heard" one of those, it was a police Harley in Daytona. Followed it for a while until I realized why it was so quiet, as none of the other Harleys were. You are in a distinctly small minority.

But the legal system isn't "handling" the noise problem, and the noise problem is primarily a Harley problem (minor exceptions noted). Speeding is always subject to enforcement, and can be achieved on any brand of machine, but excess bike noise is tolerated/ignored by those who could enforce existing regulations but don't. Meanwhile, influential members of the non-biking community continue to close roads and deny bike entrance to gated communities (all bikes, not just the loud ones) because of noise.

Since law enforcement of excess bike noise is nonexistent, we need to try to exert peer pressure on our "buddies" and their noisy Harleys. Thus ... Harley bashing. Re bike noise, the law ain't doin' it, my friend, and hasn't for many, many years.

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
'86 Honda CH-250 scooter (original owner)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"

Last edited by bob_menton; Oct 17th, 2005 at 9:00 pm. Reason: add a word
post #19 of 24 Old Oct 17th, 2005, 10:01 pm
Lifetime Supporter

But the legal system isn't "handling" the noise problem, and the noise problem is primarily a Harley problem (minor exceptions noted). Speeding is always subject to enforcement, and can be achieved on any brand of machine,

- Bob[/QUOTE]

Harley problem noise? say it aint so :0) as far as speeding on a stock Harley sure it is possible to 45 in a 35 zone on a stock one. Except a v-rod have not beat one yet!

Seriously why are they so loud and so slow, usually 5 below the posted limit. and around 90 to 100db's

Really at times, where I have to follow these jokers I wish I could release the stench of a septic tank for a few miles in front of them.

Guess the most popular brand out front of the saloons is all week end?

Just a observation, not a judgement of character.

Mike G
Northen Illinois Packer Fan
K1200lt 2002
LT Trunk Latch Maker
post #20 of 24 Old Oct 17th, 2005, 10:02 pm

i've got supertrapps on my triumph. LOVE the growl. and if i ever bought a harley (good possibility i'll buy a buell at some point), chances are i wouldn't leave the exhaust stock. i like a little rumble. wouldn't run straight pipes, though.

i'm leaving my LT exhaust alone, though, 'cause noisy touring bikes don't make sense to me.

so i reckon that makes me both good and bad.

i feel so ... so ........so CONFLICTED! (pausing to sob loudly, soiling my keyboard)
post #21 of 24 Old Oct 17th, 2005, 10:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_menton
One of the very few Harley riders with a stock exhaust. Congratulations, Russ....... You are in a distinctly small minority.

- Bob
I've only heard one other muffler I'd consider putting on my Street Glide (sound-wise), V&H slip-on ovals. I'm just not a "speed freak" or a "power junkie"....if I was I'd own a 'Busa and a Rocket III.

regards

2016 R1200RT
2015 RGU
post #22 of 24 Old Oct 18th, 2005, 5:55 am

OK, my turn.

Had Honda's, great bikes and was bought from a good local dealer.

Had a Suzuki 1500LC, biggest piece of junk I've ever had and the dealer should have been run out of town

Had a 2000 Kawasaki Nomad, great bike and good local dealer. Had the V&H pipes and it sounded good, would have removed the baffles but I never could get the bolts out because I ran 70 through the mountains and would always scrape off the bolt heads!

Have an 03 LT, good bike, it's quite and the dealer is ok (even though he is 100 miles away). But the bike costs way too much to keep up! (Will they ever make a LT for midgets?) LOL

On yeah, forgot abou the HD, never owned one and never wanted to own one. I've heard that they are expensive to keep up as well. They sound nice but I am getting tired of hearing that same ole' loud noise. They are expensive to purchase also; so are Beamers!

So that's my .02 worth and I am sticking to it.

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #23 of 24 Old Oct 18th, 2005, 8:00 am

Quote:
Hello Larry,

regards
Why not? Might accidentally learn something. Through intelligent and not-so-intelligent discourse, might even be brainstorming or barn storming, idea's not faced by the harsh noon sunlight might come to focus.

They be inanimate objects, mechanical by nature and flawed (most ) by design. Now, if we were bashing poseurs, that'd be a horse of varying colors.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #24 of 24 Old Oct 21st, 2005, 10:06 am

Question HD Beginner Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoker100
A lot more people are getting into motorcycle ownership for the first time. Whether it is a "retirement" thing, or just "always wanted to", what ever. The HD is what all americans think when they think motorcycle! Let's face it, the HD is a great beginner bike. As long as you want to stay on the boulevard, lookin good and not wanting to seek a speed thrill, they are great! After learning to ride, you start drifting towards the outback, longer rides, traveling, those will folks upgrade to a real bike.
larry
I have to agree with the quote "the HD is a beginners bike". With the exception of the gross weight, IMO the low center of gravity, wide track and general stability make it an easy bike to build confidence on. I have been riding for 25+ years and owned several HDs and most of the others. I just recently purchased my first BMWs after selling my last HD (2003 FLSTSI). Again IMO, you don't hop on to a K12LT or GT for that matter without a good bit of riding experience. Over the last 3-5 years I've transitioned from a rider that logged 2-3,000 miles per year to 10,000+ over the last couple years. The HD did not suit me for long haul riding, twisties, general handling, performance and riding to work every day (too hard to clean). Which led to my recent purchase of two BMWs, one for every day riding and great performance (the GT), and one for long haul touring and comfort for 2 up riding (the LT). For me the vote is still out on which product has the higher quality (HD or BMW). To date the HD gets the nod in quality. With the ownership of 3 HDs over a period of 6 years starting in 99, I never had one warranty issue come up. On the other hand, I've had two warranty issues with the LT in the first six months of ownership. The GT still has a clear slate. I haven't cast a vote or made final decision yet with respect to my early experience on the LT since I bought it from a guy that only logged 1600 miles in two years. I'm assuming the bike sat for quite a while and definitely during most of it's life, which could have led to some gremlins that are just now coming out as I shake her out and log big miles.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in