Nissan Leaf - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jul 29th, 2014, 11:01 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Gruivis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Alpharetta, GA, USA
Posts: 1,154
Nissan Leaf

Anyone else out there with one of these EVs? I bought this simply because it helps to lower my transportation costs for a second car. By the time you subtract the $7500 fed tax credit and the $5000 state tax credit, the total lease outlay is very very low. $28K for the S, minus $7500, minus 12K residual value, minus 5K state tax credit leaves you with about 3.5K lease costs spread out over 36 months. Annual fuel cost are estimated to be $550 which is about 1/3 of what gas costs would be.

But this has got to be the ugliest car rolling... looks like someone stepped on a frog to the point the eyes almost popped out. I need a paper bag I can put on my head while driving around town.



Now having said that, I do enjoy driving the car. It's quiet and just about maintenance free. Any trip over 65 miles or so requires a little planning so you can get to a charger if needed. Case in point the other weekend we visited our son about 30 miles away and then on to our daughter's place about 40 miles away. I planned to get a quick charge from a nearby Nissan dealer, near my daughter's home, only to find out they only had a slow charger. So we hook up the charger and cool our heels for an hour. On the return trip back home we realized we weren't going to make it and had to pull into an Ikea store for another hour charge. Turns out we had drove past a high speed charger going to the Ikea store. High speed chargers can get you to 80% in about 15 minutes. So now I've programmed all the high speed chargers into the phone. Altogether it made for an interesting trip back home


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
Gruivis is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old Jul 30th, 2014, 12:31 am
Lifetime Supporter
 
JNW003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Northridge, California, USA
Posts: 1,389
Re: Nissan Leaf

That's a pretty color, but I agree, an ugly color. So all in all, that makes it pretty ugly car?

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
JNW003 is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old Jul 30th, 2014, 5:54 am
Senior Member
 
pkpr1998's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ringgold, GA, USA
Posts: 3,694
Re: Nissan Leaf

I never would own one.

Cost is too high
Can't go anywhere in them (long trips that is)
Small
Butt-ugly
You will have to wire your garage for 220 vac to get the "rapid" charge charger
Just wait till you have to replace the battery pack!!!!! $$$$$$$$$$$$$
Very little, if any, ROI once you factor in the battery cost

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
pkpr1998 is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 Old Jul 30th, 2014, 6:57 am
Senior Member
 
gerhard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Exeter, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,525
Re: Nissan Leaf

Congrats on the new car. I am a fan of small cars as well, I drive a Fiat 500. Judging by the number of Pickups sold gas is still way too cheap.

Gerhard
gerhard is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old Jul 30th, 2014, 12:41 pm
Senior Member
 
Travman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Marietta, GA, USA
Posts: 418
Re: Nissan Leaf

We leased one about 6 weeks ago as my wife's car and she loves it. It is also our regular weekend car. I took her large SUV as my car and sold off my very old car. Our gas savings is going to work out to about $100 per month. The car drives great, plenty of room for 4 adults, and has no maintenance.

I wanted to lease because the technology on these is changing rapidly and wanted to see what else was available in the next couple of years. Yes you do need a second car for long trips but for around town driving, we are sold on electric cars. I did add a 220 charger in the garage but this was fairly inexpensive for my setup.

"Not all who wander are lost"

2014 R1200GS Adv
2018 Vespa 300
Travman is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old Jul 30th, 2014, 9:57 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Gruivis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Alpharetta, GA, USA
Posts: 1,154
Re: Nissan Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpr1998 View Post
I never would own one.
I agree, thats why I went with a lease. I've heard about problems with the batteries over time and I don't want to even think about dealing with that.

After my 3yr lease is over, Tesla should be rolling out a $35K, "low end" model that will have a range of around 200 miles. Based on this pic, they will be selling like hot cakes.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
Gruivis is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old Jul 30th, 2014, 10:13 pm
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: El Dorado Hills, Ca, USA
Posts: 42
Re: Nissan Leaf

I would be very very surprised if they get the price down to $50k. Until they get more "stations" for recharging it's just to mush of an inconvenience for me and I don't have a very complicated life. How's the acceleration on this car, can it get out of trouble. That's how we motorcyclists think, we need the power to get out of trouble since we have little protection


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruivis View Post
I agree, thats why I went with a lease. I've heard about problems with the batteries over time and I don't want to even think about dealing with that.

After my 3yr lease is over, Tesla should be rolling out a $35K, "low end" model that will have a range of around 200 miles. Based on this pic, they will be selling like hot cakes.

HundoR1200RT is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old Jul 31st, 2014, 9:57 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Gruivis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Alpharetta, GA, USA
Posts: 1,154
Re: Nissan Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by HundoR1200RT View Post
How's the acceleration on this car, can it get out of trouble.
Off the line it's very quick, I'd say zero to 40, you can really feel the acceleration. But once you get to around 55+ is not nearly as fast. One thing about the electric motors, you have maximum torque at 1 rpm, so they really jump off the line. But it's not a scorcher like the Tesla, not in the same league at all.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
Gruivis is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old Jul 31st, 2014, 10:32 pm
Senior Member
 
Travman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Marietta, GA, USA
Posts: 418
Re: Nissan Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by HundoR1200RT View Post
Until they get more "stations" for recharging it's just to mush of an inconvenience for me...
That's just it, if you really studied your driving habits, there is really no inconvenience. Not trying to sell anyone but their are a lot of misconceptions about the need for massive fuel range. Yes, this coming from the guy with the GSA. For instance, tomorrow we have to run an errand that is about 40 miles away plus a couple of other stops. We'll take the SUV. This is the first time in nearly 2 months that we can't take the Leaf. Just my 2 cents.

"Not all who wander are lost"

2014 R1200GS Adv
2018 Vespa 300
Travman is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old Aug 1st, 2014, 12:05 am
Member
 
cman1956's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Jurupa Valley, CA, USA
Posts: 61
Re: Nissan Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruivis View Post
Anyone else out there with one of these EVs? I bought this simply because it helps to lower my transportation costs for a second car. By the time you subtract the $7500 fed tax credit and the $5000 state tax credit, the total lease outlay is very very low. $28K for the S, minus $7500, minus 12K residual value, minus 5K state tax credit leaves you with about 3.5K lease costs spread out over 36 months. Annual fuel cost are estimated to be $550 which is about 1/3 of what gas costs would be.

But this has got to be the ugliest car rolling... looks like someone stepped on a frog to the point the eyes almost popped out. I need a paper bag I can put on my head while driving around town.



Now having said that, I do enjoy driving the car. It's quiet and just about maintenance free. Any trip over 65 miles or so requires a little planning so you can get to a charger if needed. Case in point the other weekend we visited our son about 30 miles away and then on to our daughter's place about 40 miles away. I planned to get a quick charge from a nearby Nissan dealer, near my daughter's home, only to find out they only had a slow charger. So we hook up the charger and cool our heels for an hour. On the return trip back home we realized we weren't going to make it and had to pull into an Ikea store for another hour charge. Turns out we had drove past a high speed charger going to the Ikea store. High speed chargers can get you to 80% in about 15 minutes. So now I've programmed all the high speed chargers into the phone. Altogether it made for an interesting trip back home
I'm glad you are happy with the car.

IMHO your post illustrates why most people would not buy a car like that. WAYYYYY too much work involved in just going for a short drive. Forget a long one.
cman1956 is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old Aug 1st, 2014, 5:13 am
Senior Member
 
messenger13_ver2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cleveland, OH, USA
Posts: 1,566
Re: Nissan Leaf

Because I live in a rural area, a vehicle with this range of travel does nothing for me. But I'm glad you leased it, and I'll tell you why. More people leasing/buying these cars means more money that these companies have to spend on advancing the technology. And for that, I thank you.

And if I had to choose one car company to buy from for the rest of my life, it would probably be Nissan. Every Nissan we've ever owned or leased, we loved.

- Joe
messenger13_ver2 is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old Aug 1st, 2014, 11:41 am
Senior Member
 
copperstatetour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Avondale, AZ, USA
Posts: 794
Re: Nissan Leaf

I really looked carefully at a Leaf, if the range would have been 100+ miles I probably would have jumped. I did a survey of all the driving around my wife does in her spurts and it's just too close to that 75 mile range for my comfort level - especially in a place where A/C is used 75% of the year meaning that the range is really a little less. The last thing I want is a call from my wife on a day when it's 112 and she's out of juice.

I'm definately keeping my eye on them though, I suspect they will add range by making the roof a solar panel or other such stuff and when they do I'll probably put some consideration into it, charge it overnight when electricity is cheap and I would save a fortune on gas (which I would be spending on a lease payment).

-Steve

2000 BMW K1200LT
2000 BMW R1200C
copperstatetour is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fall Leaf Ride in CO....on the LT MtnRider Ride Tales 1 Oct 10th, 2010 10:38 pm
Falling Leaf anyone? OU812 Mid West 12 Oct 17th, 2009 8:03 am
Leaf Peepin 2006 johnT Ride Tales 10 Oct 26th, 2006 6:37 am
A thought on floppy mirrors davek1 K1200LT 16 Aug 23rd, 2006 1:03 pm

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome