Lane splitting... not - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Jul 11th, 2014, 6:24 pm Thread Starter

Lane splitting... not

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgP1UkbrfF8

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Jul 11th, 2014, 7:00 pm

Garage
Re: Lane splitting... not

That is not the way to do it.
You Ohio people probably don't know the way to do it.
Let me know when you visit out here, and I will show you how to do it.
dc

2008 R1200 RT
post #3 of 22 Old Jul 11th, 2014, 8:17 pm

I'll bet there isn't one person who he passed badly and unsafely who isn't laughing (at least inwardly) that some swift justice was served.

And before the flame starts, I say that because he was apparently unhurt.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]

post #4 of 22 Old Jul 11th, 2014, 10:09 pm
Ted

I'd call that weaving, followed by sheer stupidity.

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #5 of 22 Old Jul 11th, 2014, 11:14 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 22 Old Jul 12th, 2014, 2:57 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by David13 View Post
You Ohio people probably don't know the way to do it.dc
Unfortunately that guy was from the UK!

I think he needs situational awareness lessons! When I am filtering (lane splitting) there is no way I would try and take on two lorries!

The rule in Belgium (which are similar to the CHiP guidelines) are do not travel more than 50kmph (30 Mph) with a speed difference of 25 Kmph (under 20 mph)

Still at least he wasn't hurt except for his pride!

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
2010 R1200RT Thunder Grey
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)
post #7 of 22 Old Jul 12th, 2014, 9:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by David13 View Post
That is not the way to do it.
You Ohio people probably don't know the way to do it.
Let me know when you visit out here, and I will show you how to do it.
dc
Thanks for the offer, but I'll pass. First of all, just because you live out there doesn't mean you know how to do it either. I've ridden Cali 6 times now, and I've been taught by some of the best (Gilles, David Taylor, and others ). It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the error of this guy's ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler View Post
I'll bet there isn't one person who he passed badly and unsafely who isn't laughing (at least inwardly) that some swift justice was served.
Howard, you know I love ya ... but we're gonna have to agree to disagree. We've all done stupid things, on bikes and off, but I just don't find this incident at all laughable. But like you said, he wasn't hurt, and maybe this was the wake-up call that he needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
I'd call that weaving, followed by sheer stupidity.
Bingo!

- Joe
post #8 of 22 Old Jul 12th, 2014, 10:13 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13_ver2 View Post
I've ridden Cali 6 times now
Rookie...

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #9 of 22 Old Jul 12th, 2014, 6:54 pm

Garage

I think I did think that was Britain, or England.
And those guys usually do know how to do it extremely well, tho' far more seemingly reckless than I ever would.
I probably will be here for visit no. 7.
dc

2008 R1200 RT
post #10 of 22 Old Jul 12th, 2014, 8:39 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

There are idiots everywhere, no matter what language they speak or which side of the road they drive on . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #11 of 22 Old Jul 15th, 2014, 10:25 am
Lifetime Supporter

Rule #1 - There must be enough lane to split. (I can hear Maxwell Smart saying, "Missed it by that much." holding his fingers close together). Glad he wasn't hurt badly. Was obviously going faster than the reasonable speed differential and as a result too focused on his immediate surroundings to realize he was closing fast on a gap too narrow to navigate.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #12 of 22 Old Jul 15th, 2014, 10:50 am

Maybe if he'd been looking and braking instead of sh#$$ing, it would've ended better.
post #13 of 22 Old Jul 18th, 2014, 10:55 am

Can't believe he didn't at least bust one of his hands.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #14 of 22 Old Jul 19th, 2014, 7:37 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Fine tuned my lane splitting skills after two weeks of riding in Europe. Cage drivers are more courteous and will move to the right when passing at high speed.

Often split to get to the front of the pack at traffic signals or construction control lights. No issues and no obscene gestures either.

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #15 of 22 Old Jul 19th, 2014, 8:39 pm

I would never do this in Canada or USA. Born and bred in the UK (Don't beat me up on this) Cage drives are taught differently there than North America. Lane discipline is engraved in your head, no passing on left and right just the right only and always move back into the slow lane after the manouver. Here in Canada it's like Wacky Races, people all over the damn place or stuck driving slow in the fast lane. It's total driving anarchy. You seem to be taught to pass a test never to drive. Add to that immigrants from third world countries as driving instructors make life worse if you see how they drive vehicles back in their original countries. Driving standards are going down the toilet and if you try to lane split here it's running the gauntlet. So my advice is be patient and live longer. My destination will wait for me.

BMWMOA
Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly

2007 K1200LT Storm Grey metallic
Uni Go Trailer
post #16 of 22 Old Jul 20th, 2014, 7:51 am

Being reckless and speeding don't mix very well... Not very complicated..

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #17 of 22 Old Jul 22nd, 2014, 8:58 pm

When I lane split here in Calif I look at the risk/reward in every situation. Calif has put a speed of 38 mph when splitting which is good. Flashing lights and trying to get eye contact through the mirrors is good. Riding my Duc Monster makes splitting much easier as it isn't as wide.
post #18 of 22 Old Jul 23rd, 2014, 3:09 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HundoR1200RT View Post
.... Calif has put a speed of 38 mph when splitting which is good. Flashing lights and trying to get eye contact through the mirrors is good. ...
+1

In Belgium you see the bikes with their hazards on, while filtering / lane splitting.

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
2010 R1200RT Thunder Grey
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)
post #19 of 22 Old Jul 23rd, 2014, 6:56 am
cws

Garage
Re: Lane splitting... guidelines removed?

you guys on the west coast US see this?
http://www.ridermagazine.com/latest-...uidelines.htm/

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #20 of 22 Old Jul 23rd, 2014, 9:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by HundoR1200RT View Post
Calif has put a speed of 38 mph when splitting which is good.
False. There are no "Official Laws" in regards to lane splitting. The CHP put some "guidelines" on their site earlier this month, but were forced to take them down, because they are not laws, merely guidelines and a jack-wagon citizen demanded they be taken down.... These are guidelines only - there is no law stating any speed limits.

The only thing in CA is that Line Splitting (or "Lane Filtering") is not specifically prohibited, so therefore allowed. Now, if you ride like a jackass when splitting, they can get you for unsafe/reckless riding, because all riding must be done in a "safe and prudent manner".

BTW, here are the guidelines that were taken off the CHP site, but can still be seen on the AMA site.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #21 of 22 Old Jul 23rd, 2014, 11:37 am
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzee View Post
False. There are no "Official Laws" in regards to lane splitting. The CHP put some "guidelines" on their site earlier this month, but were forced to take them down, because they are not laws, merely guidelines and a jack-wagon citizen demanded they be taken down.... These are guidelines only - there is no law stating any speed limits.

The only thing in CA is that Line Splitting (or "Lane Filtering") is not specifically prohibited, so therefore allowed. Now, if you ride like a jackass when splitting, they can get you for unsafe/reckless riding, because all riding must be done in a "safe and prudent manner".

[/URL]
When I moved to California in 1981, a CHP motorcycle officer told me the following "rules":
1: stay between the #1 & #2 lanes only (furthest leftmost)
2: don't go more than 5 mph faster than the flow of traffic
3: don't exceed 35 mph

In other words, if traffic is stopped you can go 5 mph, if traffic is moving at 15 you can go 20, etc. I think we'd all agree if traffic was stopped, it wouldn't be safe to split at 35 mph.

Been following these rules since and have never had a problem. I may exceed the 5 mph and 35 mph cap a bit, but these guidelines do keep you in the "safe zone" and give you time to react if some cager decides to switch lanes without warning.

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #22 of 22 Old Jul 23rd, 2014, 3:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
When I moved to California in 1981, a CHP motorcycle officer told me the following "rules":
1: stay between the #1 & #2 lanes only (furthest leftmost)
2: don't go more than 5 mph faster than the flow of traffic
3: don't exceed 35 mph

In other words, if traffic is stopped you can go 5 mph, if traffic is moving at 15 you can go 20, etc. I think we'd all agree if traffic was stopped, it wouldn't be safe to split at 35 mph.

Been following these rules since and have never had a problem. I may exceed the 5 mph and 35 mph cap a bit, but these guidelines do keep you in the "safe zone" and give you time to react if some cager decides to switch lanes without warning.
In addition try to go between traffic when vehicles on either side are staggered as it gives you more wiggle room, and watch out for those extended mirrors . In California people usually move out to make more room for motorcycles; I try to wave them "thank you!" whenever safe. A little courtesy goes a long way.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in