49 DOWN AND 1 TO GO - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jul 7th, 2014, 9:11 am Thread Starter

49 DOWN AND 1 TO GO

Returned yesterday from a 9 day family vacation on the island of Oahu, HI. While there I rented two bikes, one for myself and one for my son. We only had them for a day but long enough for me to cross off another bucket list item. I can now rightfully claim having ridden to 49 or our 50 states. Well in the case of Hawaii I cheated and took a plane ride to the destination since riding there didn't seem all that practical. Even though only for a day it was a fun father, son adventure on a couple of BMW's. I had originally reserved two F650 GS's but while in route to pick up the bikes I got a phone call informing me that both of their 650's were out for repair but they would give me something else out of their inventory. Upon arrival, I was shown the inventory which included a bunch of Harleys and way back in the corner two 800 BMW's, a GT and a GS. So we opted for the Beemers. The reality is that you have to look long and hard if you want to rent anything other that a Harley on the Island. Before leaving home I had spent considerable time planning a route and down loading it to my Garmin 2820 as well as fabricating a mounting system for attaching the GPS to the 650 handle bar. Unfortunately the 800 handle bar is considerably larger that the 650. However, undaunted, I dug into my bag of parts and put together a suitable mount for the 800. After spending some time mounting the GPS I plugged my cable into the bikes 12 V outlet and no joy. I first tried it on the GT and then the GS and neither one worked. I didn't have a meter and the shop had no mechanic or tools. They told me all their bikes are dealer maintained. Upon returning home I tested my wiring and it all works as advertised so my guess is that their "Dealer" unplugged the OEM outlets during a service and since no one uses them on the rental bikes just didn't reconnect them. Anyway, with no GPS we had to wing our route and fortunately it all worked out very well. So, bottom line is that AK is my only missing state. While it would be nice to collect all 50 I have no current plans to travel that far north. I do have some photos documenting the ride but haven't uploaded them from the camera just yet.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jul 7th, 2014, 9:59 am

Re: 49 DOWN AND 1 TO GO

On Oahu you certainly do not need GPS. A post card sized map will do nicely.

I visited several times a few years back when my daughter lived there, we drove every road on the island I think. Not that many. The funniest thing there is the "Interstate" signs.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #3 of 9 Old Jul 7th, 2014, 12:13 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey View Post
On Oahu you certainly do not need GPS. A post card sized map will do nicely.

I visited several times a few years back when my daughter lived there, we drove every road on the island I think. Not that many. The funniest thing there is the "Interstate" signs.
David, your certainly correct about the limited number of roads. There are however a couple of very interesting narrow paved roads, Tantalus and Round Top Rd, that go high up into the mountain east of Honolulu and run a close second to the Dragon. Unfortunately I was unable to find them while on our bike ride but later, using my 2820, I did make the run in our rental car. Spectacular views from high up of the city, the coast line and Diamond Head. My comment concerning driving there is that there are too many cars and jot enough roads. And yes, the "Interstates" or as I named them the "Not so Express Expressways" are fun. 4 lanes each direction completely jammed with vehicles 24 - 7 travelling about 15 mph. Actually I think the max speed limit anywhere on the Island is 45 mph. The good news however is that 95%+ of the drivers there are very courteous. Put a turn signal on to change lanes and they will actually slow down and let you in. That's unlike around here where given that situation they will speed up and block you from changing lanes just so no one gets ahead of them. Of course all that while running 80 mph!

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 Old Jul 7th, 2014, 1:10 pm

Garage

Congrats on 49
I imagine in spite of best plans some things try to screw that up. As a whole you seem to adapt and enjoy 49.
I refer to mine as a dream rather than bucket list. I still have 8 more to get 48.
My family remind me of HI and AK and I simply say they are on the back burner.
When you do Alaska are you going to ride thru or another fly and ride
ride safe
post #5 of 9 Old Jul 7th, 2014, 6:23 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsmith View Post
Congrats on 49

When you do Alaska are you going to ride thru or another fly and ride
ride safe
No current plans to do Alaska. However at my age, 74 next month, if I ever do I'll arrive in Alaska as I either walk down the ramp off of either a cruise ship or an air ship! Although I still ride regularly, approximately 15,000 mi/year, and still do at least one 4000 +/- mi trip annually I don't think I'm up to the task of riding the Alaskan Highway. As they say, "Growing old sucks but sure beats the alternative!"

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold

post #6 of 9 Old Jul 7th, 2014, 8:21 pm

Congrats on riding in Hawaii, Lynn. And thanks for not posting that photo you discussed previously.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #7 of 9 Old Jul 8th, 2014, 10:22 am
Lifetime Supporter

Sounds great! Glad you enjoyed the trip. Do the same for Alaska. Fly up rent a bike and enjoy a day or two of some awesome scenery.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #8 of 9 Old Jul 8th, 2014, 1:55 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn_Keen View Post
No current plans to do Alaska. However at my age, 74 next month, if I ever do I'll arrive in Alaska as I either walk down the ramp off of either a cruise ship or an air ship! Although I still ride regularly, approximately 15,000 mi/year, and still do at least one 4000 +/- mi trip annually I don't think I'm up to the task of riding the Alaskan Highway. As they say, "Growing old sucks but sure beats the alternative!"
This is not original
But age is just a number. You got me by a decade +1. Heck on your 87,000 mile bike you are still 20k more than my 3 bikes riding put together. In a nutshell your riding accomplishments are an inspiration. Can't wait to see the pictures.
ride safe
post #9 of 9 Old Jul 8th, 2014, 3:22 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn_Keen View Post
No current plans to do Alaska.
There's always Hyder, AK. Not too hard if you find yourself in the NW US.

Motor On ,/'

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in