Need help in Northern VA - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old May 3rd, 2006, 2:07 pm Thread Starter

Need help in Northern VA

As posted in this thread, I am getting ready to do the 24K service this weekend.

I need help with
1. The procedure to check the valves. Can someone point me to the correct document?
2. If someone in the area can swing by and help me with this, I'd appreciate this a lot!!!

Thanks
Prakash

Prakash Krishnamurthy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 R1150RT Titanium Grey

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old May 3rd, 2006, 2:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by unleashd
As posted in this thread, I am getting ready to do the 24K service this weekend.

I need help with
1. The procedure to check the valves. Can someone point me to the correct document?
2. If someone in the area can swing by and help me with this, I'd appreciate this a lot!!!

Thanks
Prakash
Hi, Prakash - I found this over in the HOW section. Looks like it may have pictures with it. There are some more threads on the subject, as well as additional posts there. Good luck.
post #3 of 31 Old May 3rd, 2006, 2:31 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Hi, Prakash - I found this over in the HOW section. Looks like it may have pictures with it. There are some more threads on the subject, as well as additional posts there. Good luck.

Dang, That link does not have the docs....The search continues...

Prakash Krishnamurthy

post #4 of 31 Old May 3rd, 2006, 2:41 pm

Question

Did you look through these threads posted in the HoW?!
post #5 of 31 Old May 3rd, 2006, 3:07 pm

Quote:

I need help with

http://www.gunsmoke.com/motorcycling...ves/index.html

Malcolm McGee
Little Rock, AR
'00 K1200LTC Canyon Red
'09 Kawasaki KLR 650
'96 Bunkhouse
IBA #24557
BMWMOA #117769

post #6 of 31 Old May 3rd, 2006, 3:09 pm

Quote:
Dang, That link does not have the docs....The search continues...
Doggone it - try this one. Thangs change in the internet world, I guess!! Hope this one helps.
post #7 of 31 Old May 3rd, 2006, 3:11 pm Thread Starter

Thank y'all!!!

Looks like everyone is pointing to the same document!!! I just printes it and will start reading that!!

So, am I right in assuming that the procedure is same for the LT as the RS in that document??

Prakash Krishnamurthy

post #8 of 31 Old May 3rd, 2006, 3:39 pm

Yep, it's the same engine as the RS.

At Bob's BMW open house last Saturday, the had a cut away display of an LT engine, transmission, drive shaft and final drive. It was really helpful and the gentleman responsible for the display showed us exactly how to check the valves. It really is not as difficult as it seems when you read the text. I think the secret is to take one's time, be precise and follow all the directions carefully.

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC
post #9 of 31 Old May 3rd, 2006, 5:14 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Did you look through these threads posted in the HoW?!

Printed those and all linked docs!! Thanks for the pointers Joe!!!

Prakash Krishnamurthy

post #10 of 31 Old May 3rd, 2006, 5:14 pm

Quote:

I need help with

Thanks
Prakash
Just back on line -- are you sure you need to do it this weekend?? I'm currently in Houston, and as soon as I get back Friday AM, I'm chaperoning a bunch of 13 year-olds on a trip to NYC (wish me luck!).

Seriously, don't hold up your work for me -- but if for some reason you don't get it done this weekend, let me know.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #11 of 31 Old May 3rd, 2006, 5:20 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mneblett
Just back on line -- are you sure you need to do it this weekend?? I'm currently in Houston, and as soon as I get back Friday AM, I'm chaperoning a bunch of 13 year-olds on a trip to NYC (wish me luck!).

Seriously, don't hold up your work for me -- but if for some reason you don't get it done this weekend, let me know.

Mark,

It does not NEED to be done this weekend. I CAN postpone it till you are back in town and available!!!! Can I get the fluids changed before the valve check? or is it better to do so afterwards?? I am sure that the current fluid levels are good since it only been about 4K miles since they were all changed out (when I bought the bike from Mortons). I'd rather have someone experienced with doing this around when I am tooling with the bike.

BTW, ALL DA BESHT for the chaperoning job!!! and more so for the trip to NYC!!! I usually avoid "driving/riding" through NYC like the plague!!!

Prakash Krishnamurthy

post #12 of 31 Old May 3rd, 2006, 5:26 pm

Quote:
Can I get the fluids changed before the valve check?
Yep -- no problem either before or after.

BTW -- which "Oak Hill" are you in? There's something like *6* oak Hill's in VA according to my map programs!

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #13 of 31 Old May 3rd, 2006, 5:29 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Yep -- no problem either before or after.

BTW -- which "Oak Hill" are you in? There's something like *6* oak Hill's in VA according to my map programs!

OK. I'll see if I can get the fluids changed this weekend. if not, I'll do all the work at one time.

I live near Herndon, VA.

Prakash Krishnamurthy

post #14 of 31 Old May 4th, 2006, 3:18 pm

Prakash,

I've been wanting to learn to do the valves check, but it seems so much easier when watching rather than reading and doing. Would you mind having a spectator.

Dave

2003 K1200LTC Titan Silver
BMWBMW, BMWMOA, AMA, IBA

post #15 of 31 Old May 4th, 2006, 3:24 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveh
Prakash,

I've been wanting to learn to do the valves check, but it seems so much easier when watching rather than reading and doing. Would you mind having a spectator.
Not a problem there Dave. Another friend of mine, who's also on this forum and rides an '05 LT might also be joining me. I am waiting for Mark to confirm a date/time for this. More than likely, I am assuming that it will be on Satuday, May 13. But Mark needs to confirm that.

In the meantime, I will get started on other things.

BTW, if you want to do the check while watching, make sure that you come by earlier than Mark so that the bike can cool down and you'll have time to take the tupperware off.

Prakash Krishnamurthy

post #16 of 31 Old May 5th, 2006, 2:47 pm

I had the 24k done just before STC, I'm planning ahead for next 12K. Let me know date, time and directions when it's set. Thanks.

Dave

BMWBMW, BMWMOA, AMA, IBA

post #17 of 31 Old May 5th, 2006, 3:24 pm Thread Starter

I am waiting for Mark to confirm. I will keep you posted!!

Prakash Krishnamurthy

post #18 of 31 Old May 8th, 2006, 3:45 pm

Prakash,

You're certainly getting an expert if you can set something up with Mark! He taught me how to do the service on my K12 several years ago. If you're unable to set something up with Mark, and I would be willing to help out. In fact, if Mark is setting up a work day I would want to attend since I believe that I will finally have some valves out of spec (over 60K miles on bike) and I have never had to actually change any of my valve buckets to adjust clearences. I believe the main concern is to ensure that the motor is cool before you start the process.

Bill Wescoe
post #19 of 31 Old May 8th, 2006, 3:52 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBill
Prakash,

You're certainly getting an expert if you can set something up with Mark! He taught me how to do the service on my K12 several years ago. If you're unable to set something up with Mark, and I would be willing to help out. In fact, if Mark is setting up a work day I would want to attend since I believe that I will finally have some valves out of spec (over 60K miles on bike) and I have never had to actually change any of my valve buckets to adjust clearences. I believe the main concern is to ensure that the motor is cool before you start the process.

Bill Wescoe
Bill,

I am waiting for Mark to confirm the date and time. I will post here on the forum with the details. For now, I am assuming it will be on Saturday 5/13. Since I am starting work on the bike either on Wednesday/Thursday (depends on when I get to finish working on fixing up the garage), I will not be riding it on Satuday morning and so, the motor will be cold!!BTW, this will be an open invitation to anybody that wants to stop by my place when Mark is here. I will post more details as soon as I receive a confirmation.

Oh, believe me, I was so excited when Mark replied here saying he will help me!!

Prakash Krishnamurthy

post #20 of 31 Old May 10th, 2006, 10:06 am Thread Starter

Sat 5/13

Folks,

We will have an informal and short notice tech day at my place this Saturday 5/13/06. Mark has confirmed that he will be at my house till about 1 PM to help with the valve check. All are welcome!! Garage doors will open at 7 AM!!

PM me for address/directions.

Prakash Krishnamurthy

post #21 of 31 Old May 10th, 2006, 1:13 pm

I'm in. Can I bring anything?

Dave

BMWBMW, BMWMOA, AMA, IBA

post #22 of 31 Old May 10th, 2006, 2:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveh
I'm in. Can I bring anything?
7AM?? Coffee -- lots and lots of coffee ...

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #23 of 31 Old May 10th, 2006, 5:49 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
7AM?? Coffee -- lots and lots of coffee ...

I'll run up to Starbucks and order some for take out!! How does that sound??

Prakash Krishnamurthy

post #24 of 31 Old May 10th, 2006, 6:13 pm

Quote:
I'll run up to Starbucks and order some for take out!! How does that sound??
LOL! Naw, thanks -- you don't have to do that on my account. I just never have been able to wrap my brain around anyone paying $4 a cup for the elixir of life (makes gasoline sound downright cheap!). I'll "juice-up" before I come over.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #25 of 31 Old May 10th, 2006, 10:24 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
$4 a cup for the elixir of life (makes gasoline sound downright cheap!)
Hmm... I couldn't either. My favorite is always 'venti coffee of the day' !!!

Oh, and yeah, gas IS cheaper than most of the drinks at Starbucks!!!

Prakash Krishnamurthy

post #26 of 31 Old May 11th, 2006, 6:18 pm Thread Starter

Well, As of now, I have to make room for atleast 5/6 bikes in the garage (if the weather doesn't cooperate.

Not to worry folks

As of today, here's who is coming, some are tentative, but have expressed interest

Myself - I better be there
Mark Neblett - mneblett
Dave - daveh
Dave - daman858
Andre - tpe3b - Someday I have to ask him what that handle stands for
Tom Hestand
Bill Wescoe - Wildbill

Prakash Krishnamurthy

post #27 of 31 Old May 11th, 2006, 6:28 pm

I just read this thread, and have one suggestion: If you have not already changed your oil it is always better to do that AFTER you do the valve work. Do the valve work, run the engine a little, preferably ride it until it is up to temperature, THEN change the oil.

That flushes out any debri/dust, etc. from when the engine is opened up, THEN you put in fresh oil. You don't want to change the oil, then open up the engine and get "stuff" in it.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #28 of 31 Old May 11th, 2006, 6:33 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
I just read this thread, and have one suggestion: If you have not already changed your oil it is always better to do that AFTER you do the valve work. Do the valve work, run the engine a little, preferably ride it until it is up to temperature, THEN change the oil.

That flushes out any debri/dust, etc. from when the engine is opened up, THEN you put in fresh oil. You don't want to change the oil, then open up the engine and get "stuff" in it.

hehehe...I haven't got to that yet So, I guess, I'll take that advice and do the oil change afterwards!!

Prakash Krishnamurthy

post #29 of 31 Old May 13th, 2006, 1:29 pm

Well, I had all intentions of meeting Daveh at the McDee's in Mt. Airy this morning for a ride down to Va. It was raining here at the house but I left anyway only to meet a deluge at I83 and I695 so, bein' the chicken I am, I turned around and went back home. Sorry I missed the session and most of all, the good company.

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC
post #30 of 31 Old May 14th, 2006, 7:05 am Thread Starter

Thanks Mark!!!

I would like to thank Mark Neblett, for coming out to help me learn some more yesterday!!!

Mark arrived at around 7.30AM. Dave H and Andre (TPE3B) also joined us for the learning session.

As part of the 24K service, Mark did all the work below as he taught us

- How to change the air filter. This also taught us how to remove that fuel tank contraption!!! Thank goodness, I had ridden quite a few miles on Friday and then not refilled the tank again

- How to check the valve clearances. Like Mark said, there's no 'mystery' to this work. Reading that document did make it look like 'rocket science' . But, at the end it wasn't at all. Its just that one needs to learn to right way of doing it.

- Change Spark Plugs. Well, you really don't have to number the wires. They are all already numbered. Stayed with the Bosch XR7's.

- Fluids. Mark did all the fluid changes on the bike. Learnt how NOT to make a mess of the garage. Changed Engine, tranny and final drive fluids and not a drop of oil on the floor. Also changed the oil filter.

- Topped off the brake fluid and checked the coolant level.

All this was done and folks left around 1.15 PM or so.

Well, after lunch I sat down to assemble the Comsystem. After 2-1/2 hours of trying, I got nowhere, except that I had removed every dang nut and bolt
So, another call to Mark and he asked me to drop all the pieces off with him. Got a call late last night that it was ready for pick up later today!!!

Thanks a lot Mark for all the work you did yesterday!!! I am sure that Dave and Andre also learnt a lot from this session. I did!!

Oh, y'all that did not show up missed a super tech session!!! and some awesome coffee!!!

PS: Will have pictures added to the post later.

Prakash Krishnamurthy

post #31 of 31 Old May 14th, 2006, 11:38 am

I want to also add my thanks to Mark (the LT Guru) for answering all the questions. I learned alot. When I was leaving I pulled out from West Ox on to 28 there were two Fire Trucks with there ladders raised forming an arch on the southbound side for traffic to pass under. Today I learned it was for the funeral procession for the slain LEO from earlier this week.

Dave

BMWBMW, BMWMOA, AMA, IBA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in