When not to be on the interstate getting into DC? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 4:35 pm Thread Starter

When not to be on the interstate getting into DC?

I'm planning a trip to DC from western CT.

What times do I want to avoid rolling on an interstate into DC?

Best from gorham ME
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 5:56 pm

Re: When not to be on the interstate getting into DC?

6am to 6am.

Seriously traffic is a bear all the time. Construction is worse. I do not think there is 1 road in the D.C. area that does not have some kind of construction on it.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 7:54 pm

First don't take the main routes (83/95) in either come in from east or west. Best route is to go via Harrisburg PA, take route 15 (thru Gettysburg) to Frederick and then 270. Even at that don't be on the road before 10 AM or after 2 PM during the work week. Sunday morning is the best............

post #4 of 9 Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 10:32 pm

I generally go the eastern shore route going and coming from up east. You can come down to Delaware, get off 95, take delaware 1 down to us 301. US 301 merges with US 50 in Maryland, which brings you over the bay bridge. You miss the tolls on 95.

US 301 has little traffic and there are no lights from Middletown, Delaware till you hit Washington DC. Follow your nose and you end up in DC,

I live in Annapolis and commute in to DC five days a week. The advise given earlier is true about coming in only between 10 and 2, otherwise you are in rush hour.

Traffic in Maryland is a He!! of a lot better than traffic in Virginia, which is a perpetual traffic jam.

Sleepwalker
2008 K1200LT New Ride
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1999 K1200LT (sold)
1992 K75 (sold)
1991 K1 (sold)
post #5 of 9 Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 11:13 am Thread Starter

Thank you for the time everyone took to post suggestions.

I'm looking at the rail system since there is a terminal at the Smithosonian. Hope to find a hotel near one of the rail terminals, or a terminal where i can park my bike and ride the train to the Smithsonian.

Best from ME
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #6 of 9 Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 2:28 pm

Though its been a couple of years, I grew up in DC. The rail (the Metro) has five lines that go in different directions. For example if you stay southwest of DC in VA, you can pick up the blue line in.

I strongly recommend that you keep your bike out of DC over night and stay away from the east side of 16th street. The west side (Georgetown, DuPont Circle, etc) is fine. During working hours is likewise normally OK. DC started car-jacking.

Be prepared for horrendous traffic.

If you choose to avoid DC then travel north via the Shenandoah is really beautiful, as are the routes along the MD shore (albeit more populated).

David Falkenstein

Cohesive Technology - seamless is everything

P: (603) 283-7624
post #7 of 9 Old Sep 26th, 2011, 2:10 pm

First, if you are rolling *past* DC, taking I-95 from north to south is perfectly ok -- 95 goes around the east side of the DC beltway, avoiding the worst areas. It's often heavy, but flowing traffic, not drive-100-miles-out-of-your-way-to-avoid-at-all-costs traffic. Don't be approaching DC from the north before ~10AM, and don't be driving south on 95 from the VA side of the DC beltway after ~4 PM -- prime back-up times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CohesiveTechnology
Though its been a couple of years, I grew up in DC. The rail (the Metro) has five lines that go in different directions. For example if you stay southwest of DC in VA, you can pick up the blue line in.
or the Orange line to the west.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CohesiveTechnology
I strongly recommend that you keep your bike out of DC over night and stay away from the east side of 16th street. The west side (Georgetown, DuPont Circle, etc) is fine. During working hours is likewise normally OK. DC started car-jacking.
I disagree somewhat, for a couple reasons. Yes, stay in the NorthWest quadrant. You can no longer use the 16th street rule everywhere, however. In the downtown DC area, there's been a lot of building/rehab of bad areas, and it's safe in the day and mostly in the evening (situational awareness counts for a lot *anywhere*). North of, say P or R St. NW, yeah, at night east of 16th ain't the place to be. But the closer you get to downtown, the farther east you can safely go. I work at 10th & Pennsylvania (the main drag between the Capitol and the White House). Down here, it's safe all the way to the "0th" street (North Capitol St.). You can pretty much eyeball the local environment and know. Georgetown and Dupont Circle can be just as bad as other areas, because the criminals go to where the money is and mug there. Don't be stupid and be out alone when the rest of the city is sleeping.

I commute here daily. Traffic is never "fun" here, but it's not the end of the world. Generally avoid the peak rush hour times (duh!). Other than that, it's the same as in most places -- some idiots cutting you off with no room to spare just to get one parking place further up the line, some idiots cutting across 4 lans of traffic because it would be too much of a bother to miss their turn, find a safe turn-around spot and come back to safely go where they want, etc.

#1 bit of advice: Stay out of SouthEast DC, and avoid NorthEast except for driving through on the major parkways (i.e., the roads that don't go along city streets until closer to downtown.

#2 bit of advice: Don't tailgate -- not so much because it gives you more time to react to the no-turn-signal-dart-left/right-snap-turn (it will), but so you have enough time to see the potholes and other road hazards that suddenly emerge from under the car in front of you. The road quality here is abysmal, with *lots* of holes and raised obstacles waiting to destroy rims and literally knock you off your ride.

Sub-point -- There's a fine art around here to staying far enough back to maintain sufficient reaction time, and not being so far back that you create a "merge right on in!" gap -- when iin doubt, stay back and just accept idiots will merge in front of you when they really shouldn't.

#3 bit of advice: Don't get too worked up about it -- I have no qualms about riding on the I-95 corridor -- you have to be totally alert, but it ain't Mad Max and the Thunderdrome.

#4 bit of advice -- if you want to visit downtown, parking a bike on the street during the day is fine. If you want stay overnight, a bike is still ok, just parking in your hotel's underground garage.

HTH!

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #8 of 9 Old Sep 26th, 2011, 8:34 pm Thread Starter

Many thanks for every one's time and the many useful suggestions.

I still have enough time to work this all out.

The outskirts of Tucson AZ is the biggest city area I've lived in. Never lived where there has been buses, trains, or subways.

Best from Gorham ME
Bob

post #9 of 9 Old Sep 26th, 2011, 9:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepwalker
I generally go the eastern shore route going and coming from up east. You can come down to Delaware, get off 95, take delaware 1 down to us 301. US 301 merges with US 50 in Maryland, which brings you over the bay bridge. You miss the tolls on 95.

US 301 has little traffic and there are no lights from Middletown, Delaware till you hit Washington DC. Follow your nose and you end up in DC,

I live in Annapolis and commute in to DC five days a week. The advise given earlier is true about coming in only between 10 and 2, otherwise you are in rush hour.

Traffic in Maryland is a He!! of a lot better than traffic in Virginia, which is a perpetual traffic jam.

Agreed. So glad I don't live there anymore. I used to live just off of 301 and avoided the beltway like the plague.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT
Proud Member of the Patriot Guard Riders
Ken

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in