36K Service - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jul 7th, 2007, 12:39 pm Thread Starter

36K Service

I'm right at 35,000 miles now and am trying to prepare myself for the 36K service. Though I'm tempted just to have BMW do it, I thought I would first check to see if there might be another tech session in Northern Virginia in the next month or so; and, if I could possibly recruit a mentor for this job.

I understand the slide rail, tensioner railing lining and thrust piece will all have to be replaced ...and I really don't want to get into that stuff without some experienced oversight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jul 7th, 2007, 7:19 pm

36K service

Allen,

I've seen many post saying that the tensioner rail lining showed little to no ware at 36K. Mine for one, had very little ware. I elected not to replace it and some have said it should last over 100K miles.

The local bmwbmw.org club had a tech day June 30th in Woodbridge, Va., preparing for the BMW MOA Rally next week. You might monitor there forum and post under the tech heading. I'll be heading out to the rally myself next Wednesday and won't be back until the end of the month. I'd be willing to ride over when I get back and give you a hand. Forgot to mention that you have great taste in bike color .

Dave

2003 K1200LTC Titan Silver
BMWBMW, BMWMOA, AMA, IBA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Daveh; Jul 7th, 2007 at 7:38 pm.
post #3 of 7 Old Jul 8th, 2007, 10:48 am Thread Starter

And your choice of color is impeccable, if I may say so. I will begin to monitor the site you mention. Thank you for the offer, I just may take you up on it. Have a safe trip!

post #4 of 7 Old Jul 9th, 2007, 4:38 pm

Al,

I will tell you that Dave H has an incredible selection of tools in the back of his truck that he is more than willing to let you use. He also has a great knowledge of the LT. Just tend to his hunger and thirst and you will be fine!

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC
post #5 of 7 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 9:31 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the good word. I've never let anyone leave my home without appropriate satiation in terms of food and drink! I do a mean grill! (Anyone else want to stop by? I may need to go shopping!)

Again, thanks.

Allen
post #6 of 7 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 11:09 pm

They're having a tech session in NC on the 21st just check out the South Central page if you want to do it there im sure they could work it in. I'm heading down there from Ohio to see how it all comes apart to do mine when im ready.
That is if you haven't done it already.

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #7 of 7 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 3:28 pm

There is a tech session scheduled August 5th in Thurmont, Md. Read about it here; http://www.bmwbmw.org/bmwforums/view...r=asc&start=30

Dave

2003 K1200LTC Titan Silver
BMWBMW, BMWMOA, AMA, IBA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in