10/8/06 - Tech Session in Herndon, VA - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old Aug 31st, 2006, 5:50 pm Thread Starter

10/8/06 - Tech Session in Herndon, VA

I would like to setup a tech session here in Herndon, VA on Saturday, October 7. Herndon is located just outside the Washington Dulles Airport and is about 25 miles west of Washington DC.

Garage is usually open at 7.30 AM for the earlybirds!! The last time I organized one, we had Mark Neblett walking us through a 24K service including oil change and Valve checks!! I have to see if he's up for another session (he's prolly just finished a couple at CCR )

My bike will be ready for a 30K service and I am planning to do a few other things as well including

1. Oil change.
2. Change out the supply wire to the aux fuse box
3. Hard wire GPS power
4. Low beam HID
5. Some re-routing / rewiring for lights

All are welcome. Garage is usually open till the last person is ready to head out!! I have an assortment of basic tools, but no torque wrenches etc.

I'll have both bays of the two car garage cleared out. That should be plenty for atleast 4 bikes to be worked upon, maybe another one if we need to. If there are more people interested, then, maybe I'll have to start clearing out space in the basement. That entire 1400sq.ft is unfinished and then we can have 10-12 bikes worked upon If the weather is nice, I'll even have a hose, soap and towels handy for those that might want to come by and wash off the bugs

Let me know if you are interested!!! PM me and I'll send out the address/contact info!! BYOB. I'll have Starbucks / Dunkin Donuts Coffee (we'll prolly need a vote for this )

Prakash Krishnamurthy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 R1150RT Titanium Grey

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old Sep 1st, 2006, 5:10 am

I'm in! Dunkin Donuts coffee, please!

Dave

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC
post #3 of 31 Old Sep 1st, 2006, 8:47 am

Thanks for the invite. I may take a ride out to meet everyone. I would really like to replace the fuel and air filter, and have someone oversee me while checking the valves.

If time permits, I also need to rerun some wires to install the blue ray fuse block. My autocom is starting to give me a steady buzz and at times when I hit a bump, it will cut off and on.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #4 of 31 Old Sep 1st, 2006, 11:10 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daman858
I'm in! Dunkin Donuts coffee, please!

Dave
Yeah. I fell for that the last time LOL!!! Do you still have my address? Or should I PM that to you again?

Prakash Krishnamurthy

post #5 of 31 Old Sep 1st, 2006, 11:11 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino
Thanks for the invite. I may take a ride out to meet everyone. I would really like to replace the fuel and air filter, and have someone oversee me while checking the valves.

If time permits, I also need to rerun some wires to install the blue ray fuse block. My autocom is starting to give me a steady buzz and at times when I hit a bump, it will cut off and on.
Mike, I'll PM you the address. You are welcome to stop in early and start working on the rewiring!!!

Prakash Krishnamurthy

post #6 of 31 Old Sep 1st, 2006, 4:03 pm

Well, I got to I-83 and I-695 the last time and the rain came...a torentual down pour! So, send me your address again!

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC
post #7 of 31 Old Sep 1st, 2006, 4:07 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Well, I got to I-83 and I-695 the last time and the rain came...a torentual down pour! So, send me your address again!
Sent you a PM!! Hope to see ya this time!! So, DD coffee is leading 1-0

Prakash Krishnamurthy

post #8 of 31 Old Sep 6th, 2006, 10:38 am Thread Starter

Just wanted to add this information.

I have posted info on this tech session on the BMWBMW boards also. There are atleast a couple of folks that are looking to change tires. Jim Von Baden, current vice-president of the BMWBMW has offered to bring in his complete tire changer setup for the tech session if there is more interest. So, if anobody around here want to do some tire changes at the tech day, he'll be ready to help y'all too !!!

So far, I seem to have atleast 15-20 people that have expressed their interest in getting some work done. Lots of newbies from the BMWBMW board are looking to get some work done, and there are only a few veterans that have stepped up to help the others. I'd like to get a head count from some of the 'more experienced" folks to please step up so that we can help everybody out!!!

Prakash Krishnamurthy

post #9 of 31 Old Sep 6th, 2006, 5:24 pm

Perfect! I need a new front tire changed.

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC
post #10 of 31 Old Sep 12th, 2006, 1:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by unleashd
I would like to setup a tech session here in Herndon, VA on Saturday, October 7. Herndon is located just outside the Washington Dulles Airport and is about 25 miles west of Washington DC.

Garage is usually open at 7.30 AM for the earlybirds!! The last time I organized one, we had Mark Neblett walking us through a 24K service including oil change and Valve checks!! I have to see if he's up for another session (he's prolly just finished a couple at CCR )
Yup, I'm interested. I have only one thing I want to do - figure out how to wire the stereo output of my Garmin into the tape deck input jacks inside the sting ray. ;-)

Otherwise, I'd be glad to help with wiring in add-on lights, HID conversions, etc. (Done all that my own self on my bike, so know a bit about it.)
post #11 of 31 Old Sep 13th, 2006, 2:25 pm Thread Starter

Roll Call

Looking at all the responses so far, here's the list I have for the tech day on 10/7. Please feel free to add more information to this post so that we can arrange for the appropriate logistics. So far, we have three people looking to change tires. Please let JVB/me know if others need this done also. I had requested JVB to bring in the equipment ahead of the tech day and have it setup and ready.

I would also like to know who can bring what tools, so that everybody is covered. I for one am looking for a torque wrench!! Jerry Skene's bringing the Twinmax TBS tool. I have an assortment of basic tools, plus a Costco bike lift from my cruiser days.

unleashd - HOST, fluid change, hardwire GPS, change tires, HID Lo-beam

From the BMWBMW forum:

jskene - observe, help
RedHot - 12K
dohc97 - install Progrips
sonny - valve adj. throttle sync
kres - (maybe) Install lights, wash/was bullwinkle
ebolean - auxillary power socket
JVB - help
hakunamatata - fluids changed
guitardad - Help, arriving later in the afternoon
deano ???
The Dude - help
lionlady ???
VaSteve - adjust idle speed, willing helper
floyd - oil change, replace sparkplugs, 6k review, (tires?)
kleks - observe, willing helper
monadology - bringing "new" bike, willing helper
blaster229 - hardwire GPS
djetch - help
dannyleo - observe, assist with documenting the event!!

From the BMWLT Forum:

Dave 'Daman858' - tires, some other work.
Mike Trevelino - Aux fuse block wiring
Doc 'DocPC' - Assist with HID install, figure out how to wire the stereo output of my Garmin into the tape deck input jacks inside the sting ray. ;-)
Mikey -
John 'lmarksdad' - observe

Also, FWIW, I'll have some soda and chips available. Some others have sent me a PM with queries regarding food. Please feel free to bring your own choice of beverages / food if you wish. I'll have a couple of coolers with ice (hope that the weather is warm on 10/7) If you want some of my garage day assistants (you know who that has volunteered!! ) and/ me to arrange for this, let us know. We'll prolly have to come up with a plan for that.

Prakash Krishnamurthy

post #12 of 31 Old Sep 21st, 2006, 10:06 am Thread Starter

Updated info.

Folks,

Just an update. I have to leave for a family gathering around 5PM on 10/7. Initially I was planning to keep the garage open till everyone is done, but I guess, I'll have to wind up by 5.

In order to make sure that everybody is accomodated and is able to finish up their work, I will open the garage earlier at 7 AM!!

For those (still) wondering where the garage day is going to be, here's a map. FWIW, every mapping software will point the address to be in the middle of that street. But believe me, I live on the cul-de-sac !!!

Also, Updating the list....and also trying to separate the helpers list....combining the list from the BMWBMW and LT forum.

Helpers

The Dude, BMWBMW Tech Chair!!!
unleashd - HOST, tires
jskene - observe, help
JVB - The Master Tire Changer!!!, help
guitardad - arriving later in the afternoon
djetch - help
Doc 'DocPC' - Assist with HID install, wire the stereo output of my Garmin into the tape deck input jacks inside the sting ray.

Folks planning to get work done

RedHot - JVB says 12K, But Tina insists that its a 6K
sonny - valve adj. throttle sync
kres - (maybe) Install lights, wash/was bullwinkle
hakunamatata - fluids changed
floyd - oil change, replace sparkplugs, 6k review, tires
twehner - 48K service
Mikey -
dougsey - 12K service
jeffjbmw - observe

Could the following please confirm?

Raysuf???
Breadman???
Unity???
Jody???
Maria???
Banshee???
Hello Kitty???
deano ???
lionlady ???

Prakash Krishnamurthy

post #13 of 31 Old Sep 21st, 2006, 1:09 pm

Thanks for the map. I plan on just completing the air/fuel filter change, and maybe check the valves. I will tackle the aux fuse box at a later time. I never did the fuel filter before, so all the help will be appreciated.

I live off of the Parkway (7900) on the other side of 395.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT

post #14 of 31 Old Sep 21st, 2006, 1:16 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino
Thanks for the map. I plan on just completing the air/fuel filter change, and maybe check the valves. I will tackle the aux fuse box at a later time. I never did the fuel filter before, so all the help will be appreciated.

I live off of the Parkway (7900) on the other side of 395.

I can provide some guidance with the valve check and air/fuel filter changes. Mark walked us through the procedure at the last garage day where he did it for me. I am still hoping that Mark will come and guide us all some more, but, last I heard, he's still working on that kitchen pass Let's all be nice and help him get that

Prakash Krishnamurthy

post #15 of 31 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 2:24 pm Thread Starter

9/25 Update to the list

Helpers/Observers

The Dude, BMWBMW Tech Chair!!!
unleashd - HOST, tires (WOO HOOO!!! The tires came in the FedEx truck when I went home for lunch!!)
jskene - observe, help
JVB - The Master Tire Changer!!!, help
guitardad - Helper; Let the others handle the BRC course!!
djetch - help
Doc 'DocPC' - Assist with HID install, wire the stereo output of my Garmin into the tape deck input jacks inside the sting ray.
kjackson - observe, offer help, advice, encouragement and/or witty conversation as necessary.
Unity, Jody - may drop by
hakunamatata - fluid changes complete. Moving to the observers!! Might install aux power socket, headlight protector, GPS mount.
Paulcbrowne - Observer, helper!! Might install Ohlins, the Stebel horn, the switched fuse block, the Russell seat on the new R1200RT!!

Folks planning to get work done

RedHot - JVB says 12K, But Tina insists that its a 6K
sonny - valve adj. throttle sync; Soccer game might ruin plans
kres - (maybe) Install lights, wash/wax bullwinkle
floyd - oil change, replace sparkplugs, 6k review, tires
twehner - 48K service
Mikey -
dougsey - 12K service
Chiba - Remove a broken bolt
BKling - Brake Flush
larrycainjr - 6K service
Sean Smith - Fork Spring on the '77 R100S
BSK - Rear Tire

Can't make it
Raysuf - BRC
jeffjbmw - Out riding
deano - Ot for Spamalot in NYC!

Could the following please confirm?
Breadman - Will confirm closer to 10/7; Says "I do have a R1100R I need to get running though"
Maria???
Banshee???
Hello Kitty???
lionlady ???

Prakash Krishnamurthy

post #16 of 31 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 2:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by unleashd
I am still hoping that Mark will come and guide us all some more, but, last I heard, he's still working on that kitchen pass Let's all be nice and help him get that
Alas, the kitchen pass issue is now moot -- I have to be downstate (south of Charlottesville) Fri.-Sat., 10/6-7 The good news is that it looks like you'll have a full house of folks with plenty of knowledge to spread around. Hope you all have a great time!

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #17 of 31 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 3:18 pm Thread Starter

Well.......I guess we'll have to run the show ourselves

So, did you get all the farkles installed on the new bike yet??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mneblett
Alas, the kitchen pass issue is now moot -- I have to be downstate (south of Charlottesville) Fri.-Sat., 10/6-7 The good news is that it looks like you'll have a full house of folks with plenty of knowledge to spread around. Hope you all have a great time!

Prakash Krishnamurthy

post #18 of 31 Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 10:43 am Thread Starter

Updated info.

Garage opens at 7 AM!!

Here's a map, with the address to the location of the garage day. FWIW, every mapping software will point the address to be in the middle of that street. But believe me, I live on the cul-de-sac !!!

Helpers/Observers - The Dude, Prakash(Unleashd), Jerry Skene, JVB, Chaz(guitardad), monadology, djetch, dannyleo, Doc, kleks, John(lmarksdad), kjackson, Unity, Jody, Sandeep(hakunamatata), Paulcbrowne, blaster229

Folks planning to get work done - Tina(RedHot), sonny(in/out), kres, ebolean, VaSteve, floyd, twehner, dougsey, larrycainjr, BKLing, Sean Smith, Mike Trevelino, Chiba, Pam(Lionlady), endobobdds, dohc97, Mikey

Tires - Unleashd, Floyd, Daman858, BSK

Can't make it / May drop by - Raysuf, jeffjbmw, deano, BChrisL, Hello Kitty, Breadman

Prakash Krishnamurthy

post #19 of 31 Old Oct 4th, 2006, 3:49 pm

You may hear me bending down to put the LT in reverse and backing out of Saturday due to it being a holiday weekend and SWMBO wants to go to the beach house for the weekend. Sorry to miss the fun..AGAIN!

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC
post #20 of 31 Old Oct 4th, 2006, 3:51 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
You may hear me bending down to put the LT in reverse and backing out of Saturday due to it being a holiday weekend and SWMBO wants to go to the beach house for the weekend. Sorry to miss the fun..AGAIN!

That sux. But well.....there'll be more garage days!! Enjoy the beach!!

Prakash Krishnamurthy

post #21 of 31 Old Oct 6th, 2006, 9:21 am Thread Starter

Dang.I hate this weekend's forecast. Should we postpone this to Sunday? It looks like much better weather on Sunday. I am fine with hosting on either day. There's a poll up on the BMWBMW board to guage the interest of folks.

Link to Poll

Quoted from TWC.

The Mid-Atlantic will be impact by increasing rain, wind, and possible flooding into the weekend.

A strong upper level disturbance will interact with a front over the Mid-Atlantic, and result in rain, heavy at times, from Philadelphia and Washington, south through Virginia. In addition to the threat for possible flooding, a few stronger thunderstorms will also be possible over southern Virginia. Strong northeast winds will also increase across these areas making for a raw day. Meanwhile, high pressure will span the New England States, resulting in dry, but cool conditions today, with some areas experiencing freezing temperatures overnight Friday into Saturday morning. This general weather pattern will continue into Saturday, but by Sunday, the rains and wind over the Mid-Atlantic should lessen, and the temperatures should begin to moderate over the Northeast.

NOAA has a slightly different oulook though ...

Today: Periods of rain. High near 56. North wind between 13 and 18 mph, with gusts as high as 28 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Tonight: Periods of rain. Low around 49. North wind between 16 and 18 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

Saturday: A chance of rain. Cloudy, with a high near 53. Northeast wind between 11 and 16 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

Saturday Night: A slight chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 50. North wind between 6 and 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Sunday: Partly cloudy, with a high near 71. North wind between 6 and 8 mph.

Prakash Krishnamurthy

post #22 of 31 Old Oct 6th, 2006, 11:37 am

I could not log into the poll. But it does not matter to me, unless we will be working outside, than it would matter!

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT

post #23 of 31 Old Oct 6th, 2006, 11:40 am Thread Starter

Some of us will be workign outside due to the number of people requireing work as well as the limited space I have.

We are going to move the tech day to Sunday and I will be posting an update soon. The poll and the response on the threads on that board are all showing so

Prakash Krishnamurthy

post #24 of 31 Old Oct 6th, 2006, 11:45 am Thread Starter

Updated info.

CHANGE OF DATE TO SUNDAY 10/8/2006 DUE TO BAD WEATHER

Location and time remains the same!!

PS: can one of the mods please update the thread title

Prakash Krishnamurthy

post #25 of 31 Old Oct 8th, 2006, 9:22 pm

Thanks again for the invite! I definitely need to go to one of these. I did the bare min. on the 24k since the dealer gave it to with 2200 miles shy of the 24k service. I told them I would rack that up quick, but they gave me some line about the national average put on bikes across all models...yada, yada. Anyway, I am just at about 28.5k now, so doing the 24k and 30k would probably be a good idea. Not to mention, I now realize that a GPS, motolights, and a few other things are in order in the near future. The bike has a BMR shelf on it already, which is helping decide I need to put stuff on it. I just got back from Daytona and Myrtle Beach tonight. I work every other Saturday, but please let me know when you have another tech session. I need/want to learn more about this bike and how to do the work myself. Thanks again, I look forward to meeting you in the future. -Tom
post #26 of 31 Old Oct 8th, 2006, 9:41 pm Thread Starter

TOm,

You are welcome. We had an excellent turnout today, though I was disapponted that none of the BMWLT forum members could be there. We had over 25 BMWBMW members that showed up and 10-12 of them had some work or other completed including 6K's, 12K's, a bunch of tire changes, electrical, brakes, oil changes etc.

Here's a few pics that one of the members took!!

Prakash Krishnamurthy

post #27 of 31 Old Oct 9th, 2006, 6:49 pm

Sorry I had to miss the party!

I was down our beach place near Myrtle Beach watching 50,000 Harley riders get drenched in the rain! Fall Bike Week there. Saw one LT and it had a side car! Lots of HOTs....Harleys On Trailers!

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC
post #28 of 31 Old Oct 9th, 2006, 10:31 pm

Dave, You must have seen the third LT there. I was on the green one, I saw a Black one parked behind Iron Gate...and the one you saw with the side car ( I missed that one) I waved at all the HOT's on the way back northbound 95. Surprisingly I got a few sprinkles over 400 miles, but otherwise the only wetness I got was sweating in my rain gear 1700 miles and 5 states, overall is was a great 5 day weekend. I was a little disappointed in Myrtle though. I have to keep in mind that it was the fall rally, but I was expecting to see more vendors.
post #29 of 31 Old Oct 9th, 2006, 10:52 pm

That's awesome. I'll have to get in on one of these for sure. I have to admit to being a little nervous. I'm starting at zero knowledge when it comes to working on these bikes. Okay, I do know how to change the oil How long does it really take to run through a 24/30k service? I don't want to monopolize time/space, but I suppose we all start somewhere. I hope to not have to camp in your back yard I had another question about this forum actually. Is there a way to track messages/replies similar to the Delphi Forums? It took me about 10 minutes searching keywords to find this thread again?
post #30 of 31 Old Oct 9th, 2006, 11:20 pm

I didn't take my LT to SC but I did take several gallons of paint thet SWMBO wanted put on the walls of our little Pawleys Island retreat. I could not resist not going to see the Boss Hoss display. Incredible! This was a small Bike Week due to weather forecasts.

LTERAC, it's easy to change to oil. It's the rest of the stuff that might prove a challange but there is so much assistance available that you can do the service yourself. I prefer to let the dealer handle the brake fluid change and clutch fluid change.

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC
post #31 of 31 Old Oct 10th, 2006, 10:28 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTERAC
That's awesome. I'll have to get in on one of these for sure. I have to admit to being a little nervous. I'm starting at zero knowledge when it comes to working on these bikes. Okay, I do know how to change the oil How long does it really take to run through a 24/30k service? I don't want to monopolize time/space, but I suppose we all start somewhere. I hope to not have to camp in your back yard
Well, I started at the exact same place too But I did have Mark Neblett giving us the tutorial at the first tech session I held back in May. I did the 24K service at that time and it took Mark about 4-5 hours including the coffee breaks and all the explaining to take us through that session. Lots of reading material is available on this forum. Take your time to read through it. A 24K is not rocket science. After the tutorial from Mark, it was much more easy to understand what was in the manual

Don't worry about monopolizing the space. FWIW, I opened the garage at 7AM on Sunday and the first bike arrived at 7.20. Al was in the garage till about 3.30 PM working his way slowly through all the work he had planned on the F650. Oh, and there are quite a few hotels/motels in the area close to where I live. Dang, I am only about 5 miles from the area's largest airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTERAC
I had another question about this forum actually. Is there a way to track messages/replies similar to the Delphi Forums? It took me about 10 minutes searching keywords to find this thread again?
If you want to track messages, You have to subscribe to the individual threads. Unlike the Delphi forums, this does not send you a notice when someone replies to you or in a thread you are interested in, UNLESS, you subscribe to that thread. HTH.

Prakash Krishnamurthy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in