Anyone recommend a western Canadian dealer/service shop? (Newbie) - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 3:55 pm Thread Starter

Question Anyone recommend a western Canadian dealer/service shop? (Newbie)

Hello all,
I am new to the BMW motorcycle world but a long time rider (25+ years). I recently upgraded from a Harley Ultra Classic to a new 2013 K1600 GTL and have been extremely impressed by the ride quality and power so far.

I purchased my bike in Edmonton, AB from a respected and recommended dealer, unfortunately I live in Saskatchewan and our local dealer in Saskatoon (FFun Motorsports) has been absolutely brutal to deal with! Sadly, the FFun Motorsports dealer is about a 2 hour drive from my city, and after 2 failed service attempts, hours of travel time and lost wages, I've had enough with their incompetence.

I was considering riding back to Edmonton (450 miles) to have bike serviced but before I do, I was wondering if anyone has any experience with Edmonton, Calgary or Winnipeg dealers? Thanks for any info, I would hate to have to sell the bike now due to lack of dealer support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jul 4th, 2013, 12:16 pm

Re: Anyone recommend a western Canadian dealer/service shop? (Newbie)

Sorry to hear your service troubles in Sask...I assume that is because you didn't purchase the bike from them. I have heard good things about http://www.anderwerks.com/ give them a call & see what you can arrange.
If your just looking to do oil changes & have some knowledge I would start doing that myself, keeping invoices & documenting dates, mileage etc. If you look around on this site (K1600gtl forum) you might find the service lists or try the K1600 web site.

Good luck.

BIGHOPPER (Phil)
BGB 602
2016 R1200RT LC Purchase March
2003 R1150GSA Black Beast (purchased Nov 2011- 32,372klms)
2006 K1200LT Grey
(Purchased 2008, 7,350 mls) Trade in on 2016 RT at 80,600miles
1975 Norton John Player Replica (Sold When I got Married)
1973 Norton Interstate
1965 Atlas 750
1971 Triumph Trail Blazer(Rode from London to Sydney Aust, no maps for that)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 Old Jul 7th, 2013, 11:24 am

I have an '09 RT that I bought new from Blackfoot Motosports in Calgary (second purchase from Blackfoot, first was an ST1300A). The RT has only been serviced at Blackfoot and with the exception of the technician setting the service reminder to a date in 2012 instead of 2013, the work has been good, not inexpensive, but good. In fairness, other than for routine maintenance I have not put Blackfoot to the test as the bike has been problem free from day one.

That said, if I could find an alternate dealer I would especially since meeting with Blackfoot's service manager (part owner) which proved a very unpleasant experience. I bought a pair of PR3's, in advance of needing same from Blackfoot expecting they would be stored until spring. Blackfoot asked me to take the tires with me as it would be renovating its shop over the winter and should I agree to do so, the tires would be installed at a preferred rate. I did so returning the bike and the tires in the spring only to be charged full price for the install. The service manager basically told me I that I was lying and that if I didn't like the rate I should go else where.

I had a similar experience when buying the RT, the sales person offered either a large top box or a small top box and Venture Shield as a purchase incentive. I elected the small box and the Venture Shield and paid the full amount of the invoice. When I returned to take delivery of the bike I was handed an invoice for the Venture Shield even though the Bill of Sale clearly indicated that it was included. Had I not prepaid for the bike I would have walked away.

Blackfoot is the only dealer in Calgary for new BMW's, it is a take it or leave it proposition and they know it, as well, they exercise the privilege. The RT is a phenomenal piece of machinery, the quality of service at Blackfoot has been acceptable, after sale relations - deplorable - with no signs of improvement.

Now that my warranty is up, I, like you, am looking for options, so far it is Anderworks in Calgary or Argyll (300 kms) in Edmonton.

post #4 of 10 Old Jul 7th, 2013, 1:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by noRThwind
I have an '09 RT that I bought new from Blackfoot Motosports in Calgary (second purchase from Blackfoot, first was an ST1300A). The RT has only been serviced at Blackfoot and with the exception of the technician setting the service reminder to a date in 2012 instead of 2013, the work has been good, not inexpensive, but good. In fairness, other than for routine maintenance I have not put Blackfoot to the test as the bike has been problem free from day one.

That said, if I could find an alternate dealer I would especially since meeting with Blackfoot's service manager (part owner) which proved a very unpleasant experience. I bought a pair of PR3's, in advance of needing same from Blackfoot expecting they would be stored until spring. Blackfoot asked me to take the tires with me as it would be renovating its shop over the winter and should I agree to do so, the tires would be installed at a preferred rate. I did so returning the bike and the tires in the spring only to be charged full price for the install. The service manager basically told me I that I was lying and that if I didn't like the rate I should go else where.

I had a similar experience when buying the RT, the sales person offered either a large top box or a small top box and Venture Shield as a purchase incentive. I elected the small box and the Venture Shield and paid the full amount of the invoice. When I returned to take delivery of the bike I was handed an invoice for the Venture Shield even though the Bill of Sale clearly indicated that it was included. Had I not prepaid for the bike I would have walked away.

Blackfoot is the only dealer in Calgary for new BMW's, it is a take it or leave it proposition and they know it, as well, they exercise the privilege. The RT is a phenomenal piece of machinery, the quality of service at Blackfoot has been acceptable, after sale relations - deplorable - with no signs of improvement.

Now that my warranty is up, I, like you, am looking for options, so far it is Anderworks in Calgary or Argyll (300 kms) in Edmonton.
I think as you are in Calgary i would go with Anderworks...Argyle has the same attitude as Blackfoot...friend asked about an oil change last week...told 1 month...he is learning to do some service work himself.

BIGHOPPER (Phil)
BGB 602
2016 R1200RT LC Purchase March
2003 R1150GSA Black Beast (purchased Nov 2011- 32,372klms)
2006 K1200LT Grey
(Purchased 2008, 7,350 mls) Trade in on 2016 RT at 80,600miles
1975 Norton John Player Replica (Sold When I got Married)
1973 Norton Interstate
1965 Atlas 750
1971 Triumph Trail Blazer(Rode from London to Sydney Aust, no maps for that)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 10 Old Jul 7th, 2013, 8:24 pm

I bought my bike from Blackfoot, at the time it was the only RT in western Canada, if I had not put $2000 down to hold it till I was able to get off work and pick it up. I would have told them to stick it up where the sun don't shine. They where rude,arrogant, disrespectfully, made me wait around half the day well they ignored me. I would not ever buy anything from them again...
post #6 of 10 Old Jul 8th, 2013, 10:07 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noRThwind
...snip...
+1 on Anderwerks. When returning from Alaska a few years ago, he really helped me out when Blackfoot bombed out (and caused me to waste a night and a morning).

Motor On ,/'

post #7 of 10 Old Jul 8th, 2013, 4:40 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info guys, still waiting to hear something more on Winnipeg or Edmonton!

I've been hearing a common theme from my fellow BMW riders, friends in the touring community, motorcycle safety council, and others in the service industry (dealers/mechanics/sales persons). Many of the dealerships like Saskatoon (FFun) have a exclusive sales area and all a full schedule of shop work thanks to BMW's mandatory service appointments.

They could care less about the after sales and service, they are allotted a certain amount of units each year and never have a problems selling them. Secondly all their profits are in the service side, oil changes, tires, warranty and forced service schedules (1000, 6000, 18,000km) which are all cash cows to them and the bulk of their profits. In Saskatoon the local 'stealer' charges $165/hour for BMW service and doubles the standard price of tires and accessories. No wonder they don't care if they loose 1/2 their customers each year, guess there's always someone to take their place next year.

BTW: I tried contacting BMW Canada regarding Saskatoon, they mentioned I talk to the Service Manager directly, I responded that he was my biggest complaint. BMW recommend I try a building a relationship with a different dealer. lol. Apparently travelling 700-800 km for basic service is part of the 'new' BMW customer satisfaction program, LOL
post #8 of 10 Old Jul 26th, 2013, 10:36 pm

I live in Edmonton and get my service work done in Kelowna. The ride is a nice mini vacation.
post #9 of 10 Old Jul 29th, 2013, 1:01 am

k1600_ryder,

You obviously did not receive my PM. I'm curious as to the meaning of your avatar it appears to be a modified Masonic emblem?
post #10 of 10 Old Jul 29th, 2013, 7:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1600_ryder
Secondly all their profits are in the service side, oil changes, tires, warranty and forced service schedules (1000, 6000, 18,000km) which are all cash cows to them and the bulk of their profits. In Saskatoon the local 'stealer' charges $165/hour for BMW service and doubles the standard price of tires and accessories.

Can't say that I have experienced what you have but you are mistaken on the service interval. It is 1,000, 10,000, 20,000............1,000,000. The dealers are independent businesses and as such I can see how BMW Canada can't get involved in day to day operations.

Gerhard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in