Rental in Onatario ? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Jun 7th, 2013, 11:00 am Thread Starter

Rental in Onatario ?

Anyone know who rents bikes (other than HD) around Toronto? Want to ride 2up to Thunder Bay and Back in July 2013.

Thanks for any advice
Colliny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Jun 7th, 2013, 1:52 pm

Re: Rental in Onatario ?

I can't help you with rental info but do you do know that this isn't just a jaunt through the countryside? Once you are out of Southern Ontario you really only have one route and it is pretty heavily used by trucks and in the summer you also have to deal with grandpa and his RV on mostly two lane highway with occasional passing areas. Any of the cross roads will be gravel or paved for only a few kilometers. You would be advised not to travel at night since there are moose and other nocturnal creatures on the move. Round trip would be 3,000 + km with little to see other than trees and rocks. Not wanting to put you off but just want to make sure you know what to expect.

Gerhard

P.S. It has been awhile since I travelled up there but usually there will also be road construction during the sumer, which results in one lane bridges and sections of road that will be gravel treated with calcium chloride.

Last edited by gerhard; Jun 7th, 2013 at 2:06 pm.
post #3 of 4 Old Jun 8th, 2013, 8:12 am Thread Starter

Thanks, I appreciate this advice. This trip is part of a bucket list thingy. I suppose I could go the other way, through Michigan and around. Just sort of doggedly determined.

post #4 of 4 Old Jun 10th, 2013, 9:44 am

I live in Thunder Bay and would strongly suggest you do the north shore route. The scenery of L Superior, rock cuts, hills and remoteness all add to the experience. Weather is good in July, bugs are fewer and you'll love the ride. It usually takes about 8 hours to ride from Sault Ste. Marie to Thunder Bay, road is in good condition, construction is really minor and there are plenty of passing zones. If you've got any questions just ask, I've travelled the route several times a year over the last 40 years, it's always one of my favourites.

Ron

2008 RT
2002 LT champagne
2003 Shadow
1986 Yamaha 500
1981 Honda Twinstar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in