Thinking about a lighter ride! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old Jun 18th, 2012, 11:29 am Thread Starter

Thinking about a lighter ride!

I love my 06 LT but it is a heavy beast and Costly to repair. As I just underwent a total knee replacement, I was contemplating a lighter ride. Looking at the Kawasaki Concours or maybe a St1300. As most of my riding is short trips and mostly around town, I ask myself do I really net this grand touring machine. The sport touring bikes are about 150 lb lighter and maybe a bit easier to handle. I know I will miss all the options like the electric centre stand, heated seats and cruise control, but thats the downside. I can pick up a new 2012 Concours for 15,999. at a local dealer.
Anyone have any suggestions here about which sport tourer to recommend. I know Yamaha has the FJ1300, which is very similar to the Concours. Honda has their V4 which is a very smooth engine. Just can't decide????
Cheers,
Jim

1953 Ariel 350
1970 Norton Commando
1975 Honda Excel 250
1977 Kawasaki Z1000 LT
1985 Honda V65 Magna
1989 Yamaha Venture Royalle
2006 BMW K1200 LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old Jun 18th, 2012, 11:41 am

Re: Thinking about a lighter ride!

Jim,

I've even looked online at the Triumph Sprint GT while daydreaming and adding the top case. I haven't looked at one in person yet though.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 36 Old Jun 18th, 2012, 12:39 pm

I just went from an LT to a 2008 RT and love the lighter weight and performance. From what I have seen so far the maintenance is easier than the LT.

You won't have to give up your heated seats and cruise control and it jumps on the center stand by itself (almost).

With a dry weight of 504 lbs. it is worth a look and test ride.

Ron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

747,891 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 96,669miles (new)
Total BMW miles 509,508
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383

post #4 of 36 Old Jun 19th, 2012, 3:52 pm

I sold the LT this spring, bought a 2008 RT for $10,500 (in the U.S.) and at the same time shed 300 pounds. I loved the LT and toured both coasts with it however the 800+ lb. weight was just too much to look after. RT maintenance is easier, the bikes 300 lbs. lighter, has more hp and goes just as quick but with a more nimble feel. You still get all the finer touches that BMW puts into their machines and it has a great reputation of reliability.
Personally I feel its just as comfortable as the LT, although I do have a Corbin seat, my wife is less comfy however she is still up for long tours. I have yet to even come close to dropping it or having to plan ahead for a slow speed u turn because its just so light that I haven't had the slow speed concerns the LT presented.
I'm sure there are plenty of options out there but not so many that give you heat, adjustable screen, electronic suspension and ABS. If I had to make a decision based on a test ride it would be tough, the RT has more vibration on acceleration and feels totally different, however after having ridden it up from Florida in Feb. and getting used to its feel I know that I made the right decision, its just that good.

good luck with your search.

r

2008 RT
2002 LT champagne
2003 Shadow
1986 Yamaha 500
1981 Honda Twinstar
post #5 of 36 Old Jun 19th, 2012, 7:48 pm

Take a look at the Multi Stada. Light, fast, and the used ones can be had at a reasonable price as they depreciate like mad.
post #6 of 36 Old Jun 25th, 2012, 3:12 pm

If you choose to change out the LT for a sport tourer, regardless of the model you might prefer, an extended test ride might prove to be the deciding factor.

My brother-in-law had replacement knee surgery after which he found that riding any form of sport touring bike caused pain and cramping in his legs due to the angle his legs were placed at.

The closer the seating and leg position is to a cruiser, the easier it is on his new knees, especially on long trips.

All the best with your new knee.
post #7 of 36 Old Jun 26th, 2012, 8:23 am

Hi Jim. I made the switch from an ST1300 to an RT this year and I can tell you if weight is an issue you may be disappointed with the ST. Don't get me wrong the ST is a fabulous bike in many respects but it is very heavy and carries most of the weight up high. Once you are moving the weight disappears but slow speed maneuvering requires a lot more care than the RT.
post #8 of 36 Old Jun 30th, 2012, 11:38 pm

Jim...I went from a '07 ST1300 to my 05' LT. Here is my 2 cents as it relate to the ST. First off, in my opinion, overall the ST is a nice bike. But like all bikes...they have quirks. The biggest complaint for me is that she ran very very hot. Especially when the temp outside starts to climb. I would have to keep moving my legs into the wind to cool it down. I have heard that if you get the deflectors it helps...but you may also want to invest in some high boots or pants. For me it was very uncomfortable. The riding position is slightly further forward (especially when compared to an LT)...some prefer it, but for me handlebar risers was the solution. The ST has less wind protection and if you want / need a top box...finding a Honda top box is difficult and expensive...you will have to go aftermarket (not a big deal for me...but for some it is). Another observation is the throttle on the ST is very sensitive...almost like a switch. There are fixes....the ST forum is very helpful (much like this one)...so there are lots of ideas / suggestions on how to address the ST's personality quirks. The engine is very smooth. Lots of power and nice handling. I also really like the styling.

As others have suggested, I too would definitely recommend a test ride (the longer the better). I can't comment on your other choices...others will likely share their thoughts relative to their experiences. As I am sure you have heard before, there really isn't a right answer...just what works for you.

Let us know what you decide. I hope the knee heals up. Good luck with whatever your choice.

James

BMWMOA #178365

Current Ride:
2005 K1200LT -

Past Rides:
2007 Honda ST1300a
2010 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom
2006 Suzuki C50 Boulevard
1973 Honda 50
post #9 of 36 Old Jul 1st, 2012, 10:33 am

After I wrecked the LT I bought an 08 connie. Awesome bike no doubt. But I had to make a bunch of comfort mods to it to make me happy after coming off the pure comfort of the LT.
As it comes it is NOT a long tourer.

Here's what I had to add to make 450mi/day:

Corbin Seat (Must have)
Cee Bailey touring shield
Lower fairing heat dams (Must have)
DOUBLE handlebar risers (Must have)
Rear pillon backrest
Insulated tank and fairing
Front and rear peg extenders
Exhaust shield under rider (fasioned from shields off a set of Suzuki pipes I have)

I think that does it.

That being said, you can make a comfortable touring rig out of it. And, compared to the LT, you can flick it around like a bicycle... it's a whole lot of fun. I commute on it every day I can. I'm satisfied. The connie is relatively inexpensive to buy, parts/ accesories are plentiful and cheap, and I've read that on the latest models they have addressed the engine heat blowing on the rider issue. (But this was accomplished on my 08 with mods- see above).

But, started to miss the LT. It's been in storage for two years since the deer strike. I've decided to put it back in service. Boxes upon boxes of parts are streaming in now. Should have it rolling by end of summer.

Wonder what it will feel like after riding the connie all this time?

Ed

K1200LT
Concours 14
post #10 of 36 Old Jul 1st, 2012, 11:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellenbenz
I just went from an LT to a 2008 RT and love the lighter weight and performance. From what I have seen so far the maintenance is easier than the LT.

You won't have to give up your heated seats and cruise control and it jumps on the center stand by itself (almost).

With a dry weight of 504 lbs. it is worth a look and test ride.

Ron
I came from an 05LT and loved the bike. I also have bad knees and am somewhat vertically challenged so I found the LT to be a hand full at low speeds. I now have a 2010 RT and really enjoy the bike. Of the three FJR, ST, and RT, the RT is the lightest by a fair margin. It has all the touring ability of the LT but is slightly less comfortable (IMO). Performance is good. Although the RT have less HP than the LT, it is much lighter and therefore performs very well. Oil changes and other routine maintenance are completed on the RT without removing body panels and the bike is much easier to work on than the LT. BUT ......

The RT is different because it is a twin and there is more personality in the engine. For what its worth here is my story.

I took the LT in for service. Dealer said take this RT for a few days until I get the work done. First day on the RT, I didn't much like the bike. Day two I decided to stop riding it like an LT. I gave it more revs and rode it more like a sport bike. It handled like a dream. Didn't have to pay attention to corners and work to get around them like the LT. I went home that day with stiff face muscles from all the grinning. Day three I had some concerns about the engine not being as smooth as the LT. Day four I went back to the dealer and told him I wanted the RT. I have no regrets whatsoever. The engine performs well. It's not a four but as the engine breaks in it gets smoother. I now feel very little if any vibration at cruising speeds.

Last edited by TWheels; Jul 1st, 2012 at 12:47 pm.
post #11 of 36 Old Jul 1st, 2012, 11:31 am

My last 3 bikes: an '02 LT, an '06 GT, then I bought my current 2010 Concours14. (Please don't pronounce the 'S'. )

The LT is in a class all by itself as far as being a two-up luxury tourer. But most of my riding is one-up, and shall we say, at a VERY spirited-pace. I loved the GT, but the final drive let loose in Nevada and I decided that I just didn't trust it anymore. So I got the Connie. I ride it just about everyday, and still enjoy saddling up 15K miles later. Work has kept me from going on any extended trips, but I have done 700 miles in one day, and for me it wasn't an issue in stock form, other than installing cruise control. Since then, I've installed an aftermarket windshield that makes the bike really work for me. Wish you lived closer, I'd let you take mine out for a long ride.

- Joe
post #12 of 36 Old Jul 6th, 2012, 3:36 pm Thread Starter

Wow, Thanks everyone for the great comments. I did look at the connie yesterday and it is a very nice machine. I do intend to take a test ride on both the connie and the st before I decide what to do. As most of my riding is short hops around town and some shorter tours, I should not become too uncomfortable. I can't understand why these sport touring bikes don't come with cruise control. I think the riding position on the connie can be improved with floorboards. A good backrest and curise control may be necessary additions. Even a taller windscreen could be considered. Our local dealer has the concours priced at 15,999.00. A good deal! By Aug 1st, I hope to test drive a few new bikes.
Thanks again for all the great information.
Jim

1953 Ariel 350
1970 Norton Commando
1975 Honda Excel 250
1977 Kawasaki Z1000 LT
1985 Honda V65 Magna
2006 BMW K1200 LT
post #13 of 36 Old Jul 12th, 2012, 7:14 pm Thread Starter

Yesterday I went over to the local BMW dealer to look at a new RT. It is a very nice machine and I would consider that bike also. I found a used 09 RT with 13k miles on it for $14,000. Looks real nice but I really want to go for a test run before I commit. This bike is about 500 miles away so I may have to find a local RT owner and swap bikes for a quick test run.
I like the features of the RT in that it has cruise control, heated seats, easy maintenance. power windscreen etc. Also it is much lighter than the LT.
Cheers,
Jim

1953 Ariel 350
1970 Norton Commando
1975 Honda Excel 250
1977 Kawasaki Z1000 LT
1985 Honda V65 Magna
2006 BMW K1200 LT
post #14 of 36 Old May 1st, 2013, 10:40 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladiator99
Yesterday I went over to the local BMW dealer to look at a new RT. It is a very nice machine and I would consider that bike also. I found a used 09 RT with 13k miles on it for $14,000. Looks real nice but I really want to go for a test run before I commit. This bike is about 500 miles away so I may have to find a local RT owner and swap bikes for a quick test run.
I like the features of the RT in that it has cruise control, heated seats, easy maintenance. power windscreen etc. Also it is much lighter than the LT.
Cheers,
Jim
Well, here it is May 2013. My knee has healed up pretty good aside from some stiffness in the mornings. I have booked a test ride on a new RT later this month and I do intend to take out a connie and maybe a new FJ. I have been riding my LT around town and It feels really good again. I am fairly comfortable and handling right now is not a problem. I really do like all the comfort of the LT and I am wondering if I would be nuts to trade it in with only 14000 mi. on the bike. It looks like new and so many folks have said what a beautiful bike you have. Now I am thinking that I should hang on to it for another year or 2 as I know I won.t get much for a trade in.
We'll see how I like the Ride on the RT.
Cheers, Jim

1953 Ariel 350
1970 Norton Commando
1975 Honda Excel 250
1977 Kawasaki Z1000 LT
1985 Honda V65 Magna
2006 BMW K1200 LT
post #15 of 36 Old May 3rd, 2013, 5:50 pm

I traded my 2004 LT which I really loved, as did my wife, for a 2010 RT, and haven't regretted it once (except that my wife doesn't like the RT as well and doesn't go as often), but for me that isn't a real negative, I like solo riding better anyway. The RT is just a better, all around bike for me. If I want to run over town, I don't mind taking it, but to do that on the LT was never an option. I love the RT on the highway, in town, and on the twisties. A friend of mine had an ST and didn't like a lot of things about it. He has since gone to a Gold Wing, but he looks longingly at my RT whenever we are out.

post #16 of 36 Old May 4th, 2013, 12:03 am

If I didn't carry a passenger often I would be riding a F800GT, I haven't ridden one but have looked at it pretty closely and read a couple of reviews and it seems to be a great bike. If I can make it to my dealer's demo days this year I will take one out for a spin.

Gerhard
post #17 of 36 Old May 4th, 2013, 12:24 am

The weight off the bike does not really matter if you don't intend to carry it around. I ride a 950 Lbs HD same as I ride a 600 Lbs small bike. There is no diffeence and there are no top heavy bikes. Just riders that need some training.

I suggest starting with a Ride Like a Pro class. You might want to keep your bike after that.

I just got a K1600 GTL after having a HD CVO of 950lbs. The BMW feels like a kids toy.
post #18 of 36 Old May 4th, 2013, 7:42 am

Why not keep the LT and find a way to make it work?

I've always had knee problems (not to your extent yet...) and was lucky enough to find a deal on an LT with the Voyager convertible kit. Plan was to ditch the kit but found it so darn easy to ride with the kit on i decided to use for a while to get used to the quirks of the LT.

It takes 10 minutes to convert back to two wheels for those rides with your buddies that have the training wheels comments.

My wife even rides again. We witnessed our friends go down and she was pretty much done after seeing that. So, the kit is used to build up her confidence again and eventually get her back on two wheels.

Just really nice to have the options.

Again, just another option...

Good luck with whatever you decide.
post #19 of 36 Old May 4th, 2013, 7:55 am
Lifetime Supporter

I switched last fall from an LT to an RT and couldn't be happier. If you haven't already you may want to pick up the May 2013 issue of "Rider" magazine. They did a write up on sport touring bikes. of course nothing replaces a test ride and finding what works best for you. Good luck in your search.

Dennis Franks
Illinois

2012 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT traded-in
BMW-MOA 156125

IBA Saddlesore 1000

post #20 of 36 Old May 8th, 2013, 6:48 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride2Ski
I switched last fall from an LT to an RT and couldn't be happier. If you haven't already you may want to pick up the May 2013 issue of "Rider" magazine. They did a write up on sport touring bikes. of course nothing replaces a test ride and finding what works best for you. Good luck in your search.
I took a test ride this afternoon and I liked the bike but the leg position on the shift lever was very uncomfortable. As compared to the seating position on my LT, the LT is a lot more pleasurable to ride. I just may keep the LT for another year or 2 but I still want to test out a Honda st13oo and a Kaw concours. Just to see if I like any of these sport touring rides.
Thanks for all the great ideas and experiences.
Jim

1953 Ariel 350
1970 Norton Commando
1975 Honda Excel 250
1977 Kawasaki Z1000 LT
1985 Honda V65 Magna
2006 BMW K1200 LT
post #21 of 36 Old May 9th, 2013, 1:39 am

Talking Re: Thinking about a lighter ride!

I'm lucky, the wife let me keep my first ride! SV1000S GoPro Trial Run

I'd probably take the FJ1300 over the Honda. I've ridden both. The FJ does require some muscles on hot corners to keep it from going straight and in hot weather it's called "the hibachi" for good reason. Your balls get hot.
post #22 of 36 Old May 9th, 2013, 11:02 pm

Try a dual sport. Motorcyclist Magazine did a comparison of all the new hot sport tourers a short time back and named the GS the best of them all who was the pack rat with all the cameras and support!

I sold my LT and went to a dual sport... Never looked back and DID also tour on it...10 years on the V-strom was good, now onto something new.. My VICTORY..

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour

2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973

post #23 of 36 Old May 12th, 2013, 6:22 pm

Gladiator99,

You're right about 1 thing - the LT is a great looking bike, the best in my opinion. However, like you and others, the weight and reliability eventually got to me. I've changed to the new Triumph Trophy and love it. If you want heated seats & grips, cruise, bluetooth, better comfort and weather protection on a lighter and brilliant handling bike, an engine with character but without the vibes of the RT, then it could be the bike for you. But be careful - it seems everyone who tests one buys one!
post #24 of 36 Old May 17th, 2013, 7:23 pm Thread Starter

thanks for the information on the Triumph Trophy! I looked at the specs and it seems to have lots of features, with modern electronics and it looks great. Our local BMW dealer is also a Triumph dealer, so maybe I'll go over to have a look at it.
I did have a 70 Norton commando also my first bike was another British bike....a 350 Ariel. Maybe it is time to rethink a British ride???
Cheers,
Jim

1953 Ariel 350
1970 Norton Commando
1975 Honda Excel 250
1977 Kawasaki Z1000 LT
1985 Honda V65 Magna
2006 BMW K1200 LT
post #25 of 36 Old Apr 6th, 2014, 12:24 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladiator99 View Post
thanks for the information on the Triumph Trophy! I looked at the specs and it seems to have lots of features, with modern electronics and it looks great. Our local BMW dealer is also a Triumph dealer, so maybe I'll go over to have a look at it.
I did have a 70 Norton commando also my first bike was another British bike....a 350 Ariel. Maybe it is time to rethink a British ride???
Cheers,
Jim
We'll I am seriously thinking triumph trophy. Will arrange a test ride for early May and if I like it, I will either trade my LT or sell it. I had a close look at a 2014 trophy here in kelowna and it offers a lot for the price.
I did take a honda CTX 1300 out for a test ride but it did not do anything for me. It seemed cheaply put together.
Hopefully I will like the triumph.
Cheers,
Jim

1953 Ariel 350
1970 Norton Commando
1975 Honda Excel 250
1977 Kawasaki Z1000 LT
1985 Honda V65 Magna
2006 BMW K1200 LT
post #26 of 36 Old Apr 6th, 2014, 7:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWheels View Post
I came from an 05LT and loved the bike. I also have bad knees and am somewhat vertically challenged so I found the LT to be a hand full at low speeds. I now have a 2010 RT and really enjoy the bike. Of the three FJR, ST, and RT, the RT is the lightest by a fair margin. It has all the touring ability of the LT but is slightly less comfortable (IMO). Performance is good. Although the RT have less HP than the LT, it is much lighter and therefore performs very well. Oil changes and other routine maintenance are completed on the RT without removing body panels and the bike is much easier to work on than the LT. BUT ......

The RT is different because it is a twin and there is more personality in the engine. For what its worth here is my story.

I took the LT in for service. Dealer said take this RT for a few days until I get the work done. First day on the RT, I didn't much like the bike. Day two I decided to stop riding it like an LT. I gave it more revs and rode it more like a sport bike. It handled like a dream. Didn't have to pay attention to corners and work to get around them like the LT. I went home that day with stiff face muscles from all the grinning. Day three I had some concerns about the engine not being as smooth as the LT. Day four I went back to the dealer and told him I wanted the RT. I have no regrets whatsoever. The engine performs well. It's not a four but as the engine breaks in it gets smoother. I now feel very little if any vibration at cruising speeds.
You mentioned being short, I am probably shorter than you at a whopping 5' 6"!! I sold my LT after 78K worth of smiles; been looking at the GTL hard and heavy, threw a leg over the RT and man that is one tall bike!

Are there any short RT riders out there? What mods did you have to make? Did it change the dynamics of the bike?

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #27 of 36 Old Apr 6th, 2014, 8:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpr1998 View Post
You mentioned being short, I am probably shorter than you at a whopping 5' 6"!! I sold my LT after 78K worth of smiles; been looking at the GTL hard and heavy, threw a leg over the RT and man that is one tall bike!

Are there any short RT riders out there? What mods did you have to make? Did it change the dynamics of the bike?
Bret,
You ain't all that much shorter than I am, 5' 7" and 29" inseam. Hell, I used to be 5' 9" but I guess we get shorter and wider as we get old! Anyway, it's true that I can't flat foot my '11 RT but with my Seargents seat in the low position I can get both feet on the ground touching the balls of my feet. The bike is so much lighter than the LT that I have no problem with it and I love riding the RT. Bought it a year ago Jan and have added 17,000 miles to the Odometer so far. Other than changing out the seat all I've dont for comfort is add peg lowering blocks. Set's me streach out the old knees a little.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #28 of 36 Old Apr 6th, 2014, 10:59 am

I just moved from the 1300ST to my LT and found the LT is so much easier to ride than the ST. To get comfy on an ST you have to add two sets of bar risers and peg lowering kit to help your knees out.
When I was shopping I too fell in love with the Trophy but could not afford a new bike. It costs more than the used Concours.but you will get their new warranty which is also great.

North Richland Hills, Texas (Ft Worth)

History:
2002 BMW K1200LT Green
2008 Honda ST1300 Red 20K miles, FOR SALE
2004 Honda Goldwing Standard restoration in progress
1981 Honda Goldwing Standard - Custom, Weber Carb FOR SALE
1977 Honda Goldwing Standard, ready for frame up restoration

Gone but not forgotten:
1983 Goldwing 1992 Goldwing 1994 BMW K1100LT 1994 Kawasaki KLX650 1989 Yamaha FJ1200. 1982 Honda 750SS. 1976 Honda CB550F. 1975 Honda CB350F. 1971 Honda CB350 twin. 1969 Yamaha DT250. 1971 Suzuki 185 Enduro. 1961 Vespa 125. 1959 Alstate scooter.
post #29 of 36 Old Apr 6th, 2014, 9:54 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpr1998 View Post

Hello!
No, I am not too short at 5'10. I have no problem touching ground on my LT. I just want a lighter bike that is easy to handle and has lots of options.
I had a replacement knee two years ago and my other knee is causing me some discomfort. I just don't want to give up biking yet. I tested the RT last year and I didn't really find it comfortable. It had a real low seat and maybe I should have tried a higher seat.
The triumph seems to be good value compared to other sport touring rides.
Cheers,Jim.

1953 Ariel 350
1970 Norton Commando
1975 Honda Excel 250
1977 Kawasaki Z1000 LT
1985 Honda V65 Magna
2006 BMW K1200 LT
post #30 of 36 Old Apr 7th, 2014, 6:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn_Keen View Post
Bret,
You ain't all that much shorter than I am, 5' 7" and 29" inseam. Hell, I used to be 5' 9" but I guess we get shorter and wider as we get old! Anyway, it's true that I can't flat foot my '11 RT but with my Seargents seat in the low position I can get both feet on the ground touching the balls of my feet. The bike is so much lighter than the LT that I have no problem with it and I love riding the RT. Bought it a year ago Jan and have added 17,000 miles to the Odometer so far. Other than changing out the seat all I've dont for comfort is add peg lowering blocks. Set's me streach out the old knees a little.
Thanks Lynn.

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #31 of 36 Old May 15th, 2014, 2:52 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handydude View Post
I just moved from the 1300ST to my LT and found the LT is so much easier to ride than the ST. To get comfy on an ST you have to add two sets of bar risers and peg lowering kit to help your knees out.
When I was shopping I too fell in love with the Trophy but could not afford a new bike. It costs more than the used Concours.but you will get their new warranty which is also great.
Hello again!
Well I made the decision to go with the Triumph Trophy! It is 200 lb lighter than my LT and feels quite nimble and easy to handle. I do miss the electric centre stand though. The Truimph is somewhat noisier but a blast to ride. Just ordered a top trunk for the Trophy. I still have a set of J-pegs for the LT and will sell them for $150.00 if anyone is interested.
This forum has been very helpful for me in fixing or servicing the LT and I thank all for all their helpful advise in the past.
Cheers,
Jim

1953 Ariel 350
1970 Norton Commando
1975 Honda Excel 250
1977 Kawasaki Z1000 LT
1985 Honda V65 Magna
2006 BMW K1200 LT
post #32 of 36 Old May 21st, 2014, 7:40 am

Good luck with your new bike. You can get some useful help here :http://www.triumph-trophy.com/ though, as it's a lot younger, not the same depth of knowledge that you do on this forum.
post #33 of 36 Old May 22nd, 2014, 3:28 am

Hi gladiator99 sent you a PM on the J-Pegs

BMWMOA
Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly

2007 K1200LT Storm Grey metallic
Uni Go Trailer
post #34 of 36 Old May 22nd, 2014, 3:40 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayside View Post
Hi gladiator99 sent you a PM on the J-Pegs
Sorry but the j-pegs are gone. I gave them to the dealer where I traded in my BMW. I didn't realize that part of the pegs were still installed in the tip over wings. Once I had traded it in I couldn't go back and take the bike apart.
My mistake!!!

Jim.

1953 Ariel 350
1970 Norton Commando
1975 Honda Excel 250
1977 Kawasaki Z1000 LT
1985 Honda V65 Magna
2006 BMW K1200 LT
post #35 of 36 Old May 23rd, 2014, 2:38 am

No worries mate, shame you lost the value from a resale

BMWMOA
Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly

2007 K1200LT Storm Grey metallic
Uni Go Trailer
post #36 of 36 Old May 23rd, 2014, 1:29 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by highroamer View Post
Good luck with your new bike. You can get some useful help here :http://www.triumph-trophy.com/ though, as it's a lot younger, not the same depth of knowledge that you do on this forum.
Thanks.
I have already signed in there and there is lots of good information there also.
I am enjoying the new trophy, especially the lighter weight. It is really a nice handling sport tourer. Just got a givi top box for the back so I am ready for some good rides.
Cheers,
Jim.

1953 Ariel 350
1970 Norton Commando
1975 Honda Excel 250
1977 Kawasaki Z1000 LT
1985 Honda V65 Magna
2006 BMW K1200 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in