My new to me 2005 K1200LT!!! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Dec 8th, 2011, 9:11 pm Thread Starter

My new to me 2005 K1200LT!!!

I have been looking at LT's off and on for the past 7 months. My budget was somewhat restricted and I couldn't find the right deal. In June I ended up buying a '07 Honda ST1300 and rode it for the summer / fall. Not a bad bike but not quite what I was looking for.

A couple of weeks ago I found a listing for dark grey '05 LT. After some back and forth by email, I layered up this morning, and rode my ST to London...it was 0 degrees celsius...burr. I had to stop once along the way just to warm up. Everything was as expected and I traded my ST.(plus a few $$) and came away with the LT.

I now understand what everyone has been writing about....it is a very nice ride. I rode straight back...no stops. The heated grips / seats, cruise control, superior wind protection, and tunes playing made my ride home comfortable....despite the temperature. I may have to try to get out a few times over the Winter...otherwise it will be a long time waiting for the Spring to get out and ride!!!

Garry - I guess you could say I finally "saw the light". Are you still riding all winter long...even in Edmonton????

Hey Todd...any chance you want to ride down to the Motorcycle show on Sunday ?

I am looking forward to meeting / riding with other riders in the area....CCR 2012 here I come!!

James

BMWMOA #178365

Current Ride:
2005 K1200LT -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Past Rides:
2007 Honda ST1300a
2010 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom
2006 Suzuki C50 Boulevard
1973 Honda 50
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Dec 8th, 2011, 10:28 pm

Smile Re: My new to me 2005 K1200LT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpasichny
I have been looking at LT's off and on for the past 7 months. My budget was somewhat restricted and I couldn't find the right deal. In June I ended up buying a '07 Honda ST1300 and rode it for the summer / fall. Not a bad bike but not quite what I was looking for.

A couple of weeks ago I found a listing for dark grey '05 LT. After some back and forth by email, I layered up this morning, and rode my ST to London...it was 0 degrees celsius...burr. I had to stop once along the way just to warm up. Everything was as expected and I traded my ST.(plus a few $$) and came away with the LT.

I now understand what everyone has been writing about....it is a very nice ride. I rode straight back...no stops. The heated grips / seats, cruise control, superior wind protection, and tunes playing made my ride home comfortable....despite the temperature. I may have to try to get out a few times over the Winter...otherwise it will be a long time waiting for the Spring to get out and ride!!!

Garry - I guess you could say I finally "saw the light". Are you still riding all winter long...even in Edmonton????

Hey Todd...any chance you want to ride down to the Motorcycle show on Sunday ?

I am looking forward to meeting / riding with other riders in the area....CCR 2012 here I come!!
James

Yes, I guess you saw the light!!!! K16 has been put away till spring, but it will be +2c tomorrow. Back lane way is covered in ice so can't get it out. I'll be home on Dec 14th for Christmas then driving back on Jan 4th. Moving company loads the trailer on Jan 3rd. Bought a house here in Edmonton and move in date is Jan 16th. Our house in Ont closes on Jan 9th. If you get out to Edmonton look me up, always have time and a bed for fellow bikers.

We were at CCR 2011 this year and plan to attend CCR 2012 next year, maybe we will see you there.

I just registered Esther and Me for CCR 2012, I guess we are going, see you there!!!

Ride safe!!

Garry

Follow my South America ride at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2011 K1600GTL RECEIVED April 30th, 2011 @ 1:30 pm
2012 RED KLR650

Last edited by garry_kramer; Dec 8th, 2011 at 10:46 pm.
post #3 of 10 Old Dec 9th, 2011, 9:33 am

Re: My new to me 2005 K1200LT!!!

James,

If your new LT was the one at London Honda. It was a nice looking bike.

Nick
'05 R1200RT
'00 R1100S
'01 R1200C Phoenix
'04 R1200C Montauk
'95 R100R Classic

'84 R80RT (naked)(sold)
'94 R100GSPD (sold)
'84 R100S (wannabe)(sold)
'97 R1100RSL (sold)
'81 R100 (sold)

post #4 of 10 Old Dec 9th, 2011, 12:19 pm Thread Starter

Garry - thanks for the offer of hospitality. I have family in Alberta...who knows I may end up out there at some point. Congratulations on selling your place in Caledon and the upcoming move...that has to be a big load off yours and Esther's mind!! Selling a home / moving is a very stressful time...I absolutely hate the process.

Todd and I are seriously considering CCR2012 as our big ride next year....not sure about my wives...I guess we will have see. From what I have read it will be a great time!!! It would be great to see you again. Once we do firm the details...we will put a call out to the other riders in the area who are going down (or is up???) to see if there is interest in coordinating a group ride.

Nick - you are correct...this was the LT at Forest City Honda in London. The bike appears to be well cared for. There was a couple of minor issues that I used to bargain down the price and given that it was a Honda dealership they gave me a good $$ for my trade. So in the end I was able to get a nice bike for not too much more than my trade.

I have to replace the trunk latch (I am looking at the latch replacement from ...http://www.lttrunklatch.com) and one rear speaker (though I won't know until I get it apart and check the connections / wiring). Otherwise everything works well. Cosmetically she was very good...less scratches / marks then I would expect for a 6 year old motorcycle.

Next purchase...a Clymers manual. I will also have my buddy Todd aka wsztmxz over to coach me on tupperware removal!! He has an '05 LT as well. The dealer did a full fluid swap...but I want to inspect their work before I start to put some serious KMs on her.

James

BMWMOA #178365

Current Ride:
2005 K1200LT -

Past Rides:
2007 Honda ST1300a
1973 Honda 50
post #5 of 10 Old Dec 9th, 2011, 9:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpasichny
Garry - thanks for the offer of hospitality. I have family in Alberta...who knows I may end up out there at some point. Congratulations on selling your place in Caledon and the upcoming move...that has to be a big load off yours and Esther's mind!! Selling a home / moving is a very stressful time...I absolutely hate the process.

Todd and I are seriously considering CCR2012 as our big ride next year....not sure about my wives...I guess we will have see. From what I have read it will be a great time!!! It would be great to see you again. Once we do firm the details...we will put a call out to the other riders in the area who are going down (or is up???) to see if there is interest in coordinating a group ride.

Nick - you are correct...this was the LT at Forest City Honda in London. The bike appears to be well cared for. There was a couple of minor issues that I used to bargain down the price and given that it was a Honda dealership they gave me a good $$ for my trade. So in the end I was able to get a nice bike for not too much more than my trade.

I have to replace the trunk latch (I am looking at the latch replacement from ...http://www.lttrunklatch.com) and one rear speaker (though I won't know until I get it apart and check the connections / wiring). Otherwise everything works well. Cosmetically she was very good...less scratches / marks then I would expect for a 6 year old motorcycle.

Next purchase...a Clymers manual. I will also have my buddy Todd aka wsztmxz over to coach me on tupperware removal!! He has an '05 LT as well. The dealer did a full fluid swap...but I want to inspect their work before I start to put some serious KMs on her.
We did CCR last year and had a great time, it's not just for the guys. There may be 3-4 of us coming from Edmonton area. General Registration opens on or about Jan 4th, make up your mind soon or you may not be able to get a registration, it is a very popular event. http://www.curvecowboyreunion.com/CCR2012/index.php I had the Clymers Manual, it is much better that the BMW CD I have.

Garry

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2012 RED KLR650

post #6 of 10 Old Dec 9th, 2011, 11:22 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the info...I had heard it fills up early. I was looking at some of the photos from previous CCR's and it looked like many couples made the trip. I will see if I can talk Sandi into it. I just noticed the typo in my previous post...apparently I have wives...I meant to say our wives...oops!!

I will be ordering a Clymers online in a week or so. I had heard they were pretty good...didn't know how they compared to the BMW CD...so thanks for the perspective. I am sure that between the Clymers and the great experience of our fellow forum members I will be fine.

I am looking forward to stripping off the tupperware and having a good look around...kind of like unwrapping a Christmas present.

James

BMWMOA #178365

Current Ride:
2005 K1200LT -

Past Rides:
2007 Honda ST1300a
1973 Honda 50
post #7 of 10 Old Dec 10th, 2011, 7:37 pm

James,

If you're coming up the north shore of L Superior on your way to CCR next year you'll have to pass through Thunder Bay. A couple of us on LT's will be travelling to CCR and you may wish to hook up with us, its only a 3 hour drive from here to Duluth, usually CCR is a 2-4 day ride so this will be a little wierd for us.

Ron

2008 RT
2002 LT champagne
2003 Shadow
1986 Yamaha 500
1981 Honda Twinstar
post #8 of 10 Old Dec 10th, 2011, 10:51 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Ron. Not sure what route we would be taking...but if we do decide to come up that way I will let you know and we can see if the timing aligns...it would be great to meet / ride with your group.

James

BMWMOA #178365

Current Ride:
2005 K1200LT -

Past Rides:
2007 Honda ST1300a
1973 Honda 50
post #9 of 10 Old Dec 12th, 2011, 6:27 pm

Jamie and I did go to the Toronto Motorcycle show yesterday (no we didn't ride the LTs). Good show. It was nice to see that BMW had a display, in fact, not trying to be bias here, but it was thee nicest manufacturer display at the show. The team manager, Mike, from the BMW Factory RADX racing team was there and we had a good chat.

Jamie and I are planning to go to CCR, as long as registration isn't full. Planning a two day ride there. We will probably head up north to Sault Ste Marie and stay at the Algoma Watertower Inn (great place) for the first night. We'll cross over the border there. Day two looks like a nice run under Superior through some national forests to Duluth.

If anyone from the GTA area or Central Ontario is thinking about going, and wants to get a group together, let us know.

Garry, looking forward to seeing you at CCR.

Todd.

Current rides

2005 BMW K1200LT

Past rides

1982 Honda Goldwing Interstate
1984 Honda V65 Magna
1980 Kawasaki ZR1000
1982 Suzuki GS650E
1980 Suzuki GS425E
1980 Kawasaki KH100
post #10 of 10 Old Dec 13th, 2011, 6:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsztmxz
Jamie and I did go to the Toronto Motorcycle show yesterday (no we didn't ride the LTs). Good show. It was nice to see that BMW had a display, in fact, not trying to be bias here, but it was thee nicest manufacturer display at the show. The team manager, Mike, from the BMW Factory RADX racing team was there and we had a good chat.

Jamie and I are planning to go to CCR, as long as registration isn't full. Planning a two day ride there. We will probably head up north to Sault Ste Marie and stay at the Algoma Watertower Inn (great place) for the first night. We'll cross over the border there. Day two looks like a nice run under Superior through some national forests to Duluth.

If anyone from the GTA area or Central Ontario is thinking about going, and wants to get a group together, let us know.

Garry, looking forward to seeing you at CCR.

Todd.
Registered # 14 for CCR

Garry

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2012 RED KLR650

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in