Almost run over by a Tractor - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Aug 18th, 2011, 10:11 pm Thread Starter

Almost run over by a Tractor

I was riding along a straight, flat section of paved two lane country road. A large farm tractor was approaching several hundred yards ahead. Before I got close, it turned right into a driveway and stopped with a small part of it extending into the oncoming lane. Not enough to cause a problem for any oncoming traffic.

I slowed to about 40 KPH not sure what was about to happen. I looked at the driver to make eye contact and he looked back at me for a second or two. I was close to the center line on my side of the road and started to accelerate. The next thing I knew the tractor was backing up at a brisk pace. There was no way I was going to stop before hitting the tractor.

I hit the horn and swerved right, headed for the shoulder and we relieved to see it was partially paved. I swerved left with the wheels close to the edge of the pavement and hit the throttle hard. Very hard. I looked at the rear of the tractor as I passed and noticed a metal bar sticking out from the back by about a foot. As I went by, I think that bar missed the pannier by less than four inches. The ditch along the shoulder was about three feet wide and a couple of feet deep and lined with weeds and rocks. I prefer not to think what would have happened if the tractor had hit me.

I regret not stopping to announce my displeasure to that gentleman; but, by the time the various parts of my body had released their grip on the various parts of the bike, I was well down the road. In the last two years I have had a fellow in a Lincoln Town Car pull out of the oncoming lane to pass a line of traffic and missed me by only a few feet. I was on my LT at the time with all the lights on including the 1100's. Most recently an elderly lady in a minivan pulled out to pass a transport truck and almost hit me head on. Time for HI-VIS!

Any suggestions were to buy Olympia jackets near Toronto?
Be Careful Out There
Peter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Aug 19th, 2011, 7:31 am

Re: Almost run over by a Tractor

Hi vis helps, but it still is not a cure all.

The last person that I know to be involved in an accident, was wearing hi vis, had his turn indicator and brake on plus flashing Hyperlites. He was still rear ended while he was stopped to make a turn.

Nick
'05 R1200RT
'00 R1100S
'01 R1200C Phoenix
'04 R1200C Montauk
'95 R100R Classic

'84 R80RT (naked)(sold)
'94 R100GSPD (sold)
'84 R100S (wannabe)(sold)
'97 R1100RSL (sold)
'81 R100 (sold)
post #3 of 7 Old Aug 19th, 2011, 8:37 am

Peter, Glad everything turned out OK. Some people are put on this earth to try us. You should of went back and gave him a piece of your mind.

Garry

Follow my South America ride at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2011 K1600GTL RECEIVED April 30th, 2011 @ 1:30 pm
2012 RED KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old Aug 19th, 2011, 8:47 am

If the old adage that everything happens in 3's is true, you should be good for awhile!

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #5 of 7 Old Aug 19th, 2011, 9:43 am
Lifetime Supporter

Glad you're OK. That certainly was a pucker factor moment. I hope you're able to learn a very important principle from your near misses.

A motorcycle IS the cloak of invisibility! Eye contact means nothing, because they can't see you.

It would be nice if cagers were more aware of their surroundings, maybe the day will come, but there are too many distractions and you aren't a big enough hazard to register in their brain. That vehicle on the side of the road or at the cross road is going to pull into or across your path. The oncoming vehicle is going to make a left hand turn. That vehicle closing on you at the stop light or sign isn't going to stop in time. What are you going to do to avoid them?

I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist. I'm confident they're going to do the wrong thing

Again, glad you were able to avoid. I'd probably need new trousers, not a jacket after that tractor incident

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #6 of 7 Old Aug 19th, 2011, 6:44 pm Thread Starter

I do regret not going back and giving him a piece of my mind but I am not sure what good it would have done. I will be upgrading the horn on the RT and I plan to get a HI-VIS jacket. Not much else I can do. I always ride believing that the other guy has the right of way.
Ride Safe
Peter
post #7 of 7 Old Aug 19th, 2011, 9:50 pm

Stories like this are good to read once in a while. They keep you from getting complacent.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in