BMW Withholding Recall Printout - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Apr 19th, 2011, 4:57 pm Thread Starter

BMW Withholding Recall Printout

Hi, The seller of the BMW R1200RT I am pursuing asked his dealer for the recall printout. The response was: "The service department at my local dealer told me they cannot provide me with a copy of this report. He didn't know why but simply said they're prohibited?" has anybody else experienced this problem? If so, how do the sellers secure the Recall Printout?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Apr 19th, 2011, 7:13 pm

Re: BMW Withholding Recall Printout

I used to work in the service department of a BMW motorcycle dealership. I know of no such BMW policy not to provide recall information. The recall is public knowledge and can probably be found on the DOT website somehow. BMW's remedy in not on the DOT site. I am not sure what you are referring to.

However, it may be the dealer's policy as it costs them $ to do so. Especially during the busy season. It seems like good customer service would be in order here, but you have no idea how many requests for information come in all year round (what's the part # for this gizmo- then they buy it somewhere else, and what is the torque for whatever). During slow times of the year, this would not be a problem, but in season when everyone in service is running 110%, something has to give and that may the reason the dealer would not get it for you. I know the program, it takes 5 to 10 minutes to get it and I ran them for each recall service and reviewed with the customer if they wanted to know. Most didn't care as long as it wasn't costing them anything. LOL

Ultra LT
post #3 of 12 Old Apr 19th, 2011, 7:23 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. I do not know anything except for what the seller emailed me "The service department at my local dealer told me they cannot provide me with a copy of this report. He didn't know why but simply said they're prohibited?" He advises that he is trying to get it at another dealership.

post #4 of 12 Old Apr 19th, 2011, 7:24 pm

A while back BMWNA told all US dealers that they cannot give this letter out if they know or think the bike it is for is to be exported to Canada. This is so that you will have to pay BMW Canada the $500 fee for this document.

Garry
post #5 of 12 Old Apr 19th, 2011, 9:00 pm

The Coles Notes reason is that they are trying to discourage the importation of cheap bikes into Canada as it is killing the sale market up here. Dealers are having a tough time selling new bikes as the depreciation is wicked especially when you look at the price a couple year old BMW is going for when brought back into Canada.
post #6 of 12 Old Apr 20th, 2011, 2:53 pm

If you are importing a used bmw into Canada, I would try calling other US BMW dealers and either ask for a recall letter or even a service record, which may show that there are no open campaigns.......which in reality means that there are no recalls outstanding. I gave up after calling 3 US dealers but I understand from earlier posts here that there are dealers who will give or mail you a recall letter. Keep trying it will save you $500.00 plus tax.
Jim

1953 Ariel 350
1970 Norton Commando
1975 Honda Excel 250
1977 Kawasaki Z1000 LT
1985 Honda V65 Magna
1989 Yamaha Venture Royalle
2006 BMW K1200 LT
post #7 of 12 Old Apr 20th, 2011, 3:47 pm Thread Starter

Thanks you. The seller is looking for other dealers at this time.
post #8 of 12 Old Apr 20th, 2011, 6:21 pm

I wouldn't waste your time calling other dealers. As I understand it, U.S. dealers have been told that if they provide a recall letter for a bike going into Canada that they could have punative action taken against them. The point is that no one wants to take the risk. As there is nothing in it basically for them.
post #9 of 12 Old Apr 20th, 2011, 6:53 pm Thread Starter

I wonder, does that mean that no BMW owner is going to be able to get a recall letter. That would seem strange, what if they are selling to a US purchaser who wants to ensure all of the recalls are up to date on the bike they're purchasing?
post #10 of 12 Old Apr 21st, 2011, 2:18 pm

Absolutely you can get a recall letter. It will just cost you $500 to do so if you are a Canadian and want to bring it into Canada.
post #11 of 12 Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 9:02 am

i got one from motard usa . and a letter from the u s dealer & it was still a bit of a fight
with riv but they accepted it. as for the 500$ it is just a strait out cash grab,honda suzuki kawasaki all you do is go to there site punch in your s/n bingo recall letter free

i informed my local dealers they were crooks and i would get my bike parts & service
elsewhere and to this day will not buy a part from bmw canada.buy them all in the u.s.
post #12 of 12 Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 4:07 pm

It's not the local dealers who are the crooks, it is BMW Canada who are trying to protect their market here in Canada. The $500.00 fee is outright extortion.
The parts and service rates are also outrageous here in Canada.
I just purchased a 2010 Lexus in the US and the retail prices there are $10,000. less than in Canada and the friggin vehicle is built in Cambridge Ont. Go Figure!!
Glad some of you got the recall letter from a US dealer.
I can see more and more purchasers heading south to purchase a car or bike as the Canadian $ is just about 1.05 US. Great......turnabout is fair play......right??
Jim

1953 Ariel 350
1970 Norton Commando
1975 Honda Excel 250
1977 Kawasaki Z1000 LT
1985 Honda V65 Magna
1989 Yamaha Venture Royalle
2006 BMW K1200 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in