Trying to plan a moto trip to Sault Ste. Marie - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Apr 6th, 2011, 10:34 pm Thread Starter

Trying to plan a moto trip to Sault St. Marie

Hello Canada,
I'm trying to plan a weekend or long weekend moto trip with my wife. We are looking at the Saul St. Marie area, and I'm looking for suggestions on where to stay, things to do, and most of all RIDES. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Trevor
MSF Rider Coach #134350
BMW MOA #159652
IBA #47329
Manitowoc, WI
2010 R1200RT - Thunder Grey Metallic

Last edited by McDJT; Apr 6th, 2011 at 11:12 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Apr 7th, 2011, 8:19 am

Re: Trying to plan a moto trip to Sault Ste. Marie

If you’re going that far, continue north to Wawa, beautiful ride along the Superior coast. Then go from Wawa to Chalpleau then south on Hwy 129 back to Hwy 17 east of the Sault. Also a great ride.

Ed
post #3 of 19 Old Apr 7th, 2011, 8:41 am

Lots of great riding up there. You'll run out of time before you run out of roads if you only have a weekend. I stayed at a bed and breakfast that I would highly recommend just outside of Wawa, right on the shore of Lake Superior. It is recently constructed, log lodge style, with a deck and sand beach on the shore of the lake. While it is a B&B, it is sometimes possible to arrange for dinner as well at an extra charge. The dinner and the breakfast I had were worthy of any restaurant I have been to in recent memory. It does involve a few km of gravel road once you get off the highway, but I was there twice last year on my K1200LT without any issues. LONG BEACH B&B 705-856-4286 Call for details, pricing, directions and reservations if you are interested.

Ross
K1200LT (99)

post #4 of 19 Old Apr 7th, 2011, 11:32 am Thread Starter

Thanks Gents! That's the kind of info I'm looking for. Any suggestions on when to head that way?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Trevor
MSF Rider Coach #134350
BMW MOA #159652
IBA #47329
Manitowoc, WI
post #5 of 19 Old Apr 7th, 2011, 12:19 pm

Ed's suggestion is a great weekend ride. 129 is probably the best motorcycle road in the north. Only thing I can add is before heading south on 129 from Chapleau check your gas. I think the next gas station is near Thessalon on HWY 17. If you wanted to go further, take 101 from Chapleau to Timmins. Lot's of accommodations there. Then take 144 into Sudbury. (a nice ride with lots of sweepers.) Then 17 back to the Saulte. ( 144 south - The Watershed restaurant is the last place to get gas and food until Cartier for gas or Chelmsford for both. They were building new towers so cell phone will probably work all along 144 don't know about 129. I was too busy enjoying the curves. ) Depending on time of year bring "fly dope" and watch out for moose as it starts to get dark. They can move surprisingly fast. Don't let the locals talk your ear off about the Albino Moose.

Please let us know how it went.
Peter
post #6 of 19 Old Apr 7th, 2011, 12:26 pm

I find for riding two up, my wife's seasonal comfort level is a lot more important than mine. I'm usually OK if water won't freeze on the road. She usually likes it a bit better when I start to find the mesh gear on the warm side. On that front, everyone is different. Are you camping or motel/hotel/B&B? I haven't checked the maps, but I would guess you are maybe 1 day away from this area. Maybe just keep an eye on the one week forecast and decide that way. I use www.weatheroffice.gc.ca to get an idea what I might encounter and what I may need to pack.

Ross
K1200LT (99)
post #7 of 19 Old Apr 7th, 2011, 12:45 pm

Anytime after May until end of September, it can get pretty cool up there due to lake effect. When I went by 2 years ago in early June the temps dipped to below 0 deg c at night. Conditions along the coast of Superior can change from clear and sunny to dense fog in just a few kilometers.
Ed
post #8 of 19 Old Apr 7th, 2011, 2:30 pm

The weather changes all the time ( on a daily bases!!!).

Nice riding area, with a lot to see!!

Wife and I took that ride in 2008 on the way to CCR in Rapid City.

WaWa is the place to see, and nice cost effective place to stay.

Have fun!!

Bowdon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wawa 3.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	717.2 KB
ID:	30969   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wawa Goose 3.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	474.8 KB
ID:	30970  
post #9 of 19 Old Apr 7th, 2011, 8:47 pm

Sometime I would kile to ride from the Soo to Wawa without rain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #10 of 19 Old May 7th, 2011, 10:39 pm

Re: Trying to plan a moto trip to Sault St. Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDJT
Hello Canada,
I'm trying to plan a weekend or long weekend moto trip with my wife. We are looking at the Saul St. Marie area, and I'm looking for suggestions on where to stay, things to do, and most of all RIDES. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Hello, I have family in The Soo. I must tell you there is not much to do there, but Hwy !7 west is a Great ride all the way to Perry sound. If you have a passport the trip to Wasaga Beach Ontario on the top side of Ontario Collingwood) is wonder full in the summer.

2 Ride video"s

IBA 53744
BMW J&M CB
Sirius/XM Radio
Hyper-Lights
IBA 53744
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
Albert Einstein.

A Twist of the Wrist is all that's needed.....
post #11 of 19 Old May 8th, 2011, 7:40 am

If you slip into the Canada side, you gotta do the Agawa (spelling?) Canyon Train tour. We ate breakfast in the dinning car and when you reach the canyon, you stop for about an hour and have lunch. Breakfast was extra but I think lunch was included in your ticket.This is an all day excursion

You can also take a tour around the Soo Locks, even take a dinner cruise.

Since you are close, you can always do Paradise (see the Falls) and Whitefish Pt (see the Shipwreck Museum and Lighthouse), Michigan

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #12 of 19 Old Jun 4th, 2011, 12:18 am Thread Starter

We are really looking forward to our 4 or 5 day trip into Canada. We are talking about a couple of options. One of which was circling Lake Superior. I'm thinking of heading N through the Soo to Wawa, then Thunder Bay, S to Duluth, MN.

Does the time frame sound ok?

Should we reserve rooms ahead of time or can we "wing it"?

Thanks for all the help!!! Keep it comming! I'm taking notes.
McD

Trevor
MSF Rider Coach #134350
BMW MOA #159652
IBA #47329
Manitowoc, WI
post #13 of 19 Old Jun 6th, 2011, 11:57 am

Reading through the previous posts, I see lots of good advice. The one thing lacking is you have not said what you particularly like to do. If you cross into Canada at the Saulte and head towards TBay, the road is two lane and sometimes busy with trucks. The ride from the Saulte to Wawa is a great scenic ride. Once past Wawa, there are few attractions other than the wooded country. If you are an "outdoors person" and like camping etc.. this is a good area. If not, there are small towns to visit and accommodation is available, at intervals, all along the route. I suspect that most of it is 3 star or less. If your objective is simply to ride around the lake ( and many do) it's not a bad ride at all. When you get close to TBay, the Terry Fox memorial is on your right, there is a tourist information center there. They can suggest and sometimes arrange accommodations for you. They can also give you information on events in the area. If you decide to go east from the Saulte instead. The highway is pretty boring but you do have the option to take the ferry from Manitoulin Island (HWY 6 from Espanola) to the Bruce Peninsula. (its something I liked to do). The ride down the peninsula is a good ride. That would put you close to Wasaga Beach, our "Blue Mountain" area near Collingwood and also close the home of at least one forum member. You could then continue east, head up to Sudbury and then west back to the Saulte.
Hope this helps
Peter
post #14 of 19 Old Jun 6th, 2011, 11:17 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWheels
The one thing lacking is you have not said what you particularly like to do.
That's an excellent point Peter. Our day will prob consist of riding / sight seeing during the day, and "culture" in the evening. ( Local nightlife, Talking to people we meet, etc...) From the suggestions in the previous posts we will probably stay in the Wawa area. It seams like there is plenty to see and do. Not to mention the excellent riding suggestions. The hwy 129 suggestion looks really fun. On our way up we will definitely have to stop at the falls in Paradise, MI.

As far as lodging goes. I am definitely an outdoor person and could tent it and be happy as an Albino Moose, but the Mrs. wouldn't be so thrilled! Haha! So it will probably be a hotel or something of the sort. I looked for the Long Beach B&B, but only found the Rock Island B&B. I also found High Falls Motel & Cabins. Both look looks really nice.

Oh! Almost forgot. We are planning our trip for July 8 - 11 and maybe the 12th.

Thank You all for the great advice. I will keep you updated.

Trevor

Trevor
MSF Rider Coach #134350
BMW MOA #159652
IBA #47329
Manitowoc, WI

Last edited by McDJT; Jun 6th, 2011 at 11:31 pm.
post #15 of 19 Old Jun 10th, 2011, 9:17 am

Long Beach B&B probably doesn't have a website, so you would have to use the phone # in post #3. While it is a great place for peace and solitude (with a great view of the lake), it might not be the best for socializing. Good luck on your trip.

Ross
K1200LT (99)
post #16 of 19 Old Jun 10th, 2011, 10:20 am

For what its worth, avoid the more populated entry points into Canada; instead look for secondary road entry points. I go to QC frequently, avoiding the interstate crossings.

Vive le Québecois!

David Falkenstein

Cohesive Technology - seamless is everything

P: (603) 283-7624
post #17 of 19 Old Jun 10th, 2011, 11:18 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcclure
Long Beach B&B probably doesn't have a website, so you would have to use the phone # in post #3. While it is a great place for peace and solitude (with a great view of the lake), it might not be the best for socializing. Good luck on your trip.
When I couldn't find them on the net. I had the phone in my hand and was dialing the number. When international calling rates popped into my and wasn't sure how much that would cost me. So I decided not to call just to be safe.

Thanks. It should be fun.

Trevor
MSF Rider Coach #134350
BMW MOA #159652
IBA #47329
Manitowoc, WI
post #18 of 19 Old Jun 10th, 2011, 11:24 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CohesiveTechnology
For what its worth, avoid the more populated entry points into Canada; instead look for secondary road entry points. I go to QC frequently, avoiding the interstate crossings.

Vive le Québecois!
Speaking of crossing. Is there anything special paperwork I need for the bike when crossing into / out of Canada? (Other than: License, Registration, Insurance, Passport)

Trevor
MSF Rider Coach #134350
BMW MOA #159652
IBA #47329
Manitowoc, WI
post #19 of 19 Old Jun 10th, 2011, 9:08 pm

Nothing special; just what you listed.

If asked about carrying anything, the correct answer is "no". They will ask your business there; be sure to state you are vacationing. They like it when you spend money in Canada.

Also, the speed signs are in kilometers. It is great to see a sign that reads 80, but its not what you may wish for.

David Falkenstein

Cohesive Technology - seamless is everything

P: (603) 283-7624

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in