Quebec ride - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jan 27th, 2011, 4:37 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quebec ride

Hi,
I am planning a trip this July on my 06' LT. I live in Newfoundland and plan to travel northern Quebec. I am looking for suggestions. Here is my planned route:
Bathurst, NB
Cambelton, NB
around Gaspe penninsula
ferry to LesEscoumins
172 to Saguenay
169 to SteMonique
167 to Chibougamau Chapais
113 to LacSimon
117 to Ottawa
I don't konw what the country is like it this area. Is it nice riding? Will the flies eat me alive?? I like hills, turnes, nice scenery. I also like to play golf.
Any suggestons would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Kelly

2011, R1200RT
2006, R1200GS (located in Ireland)
2006, K1200LT (sold)
1981, Kawasaki CSR 650 (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jan 30th, 2011, 3:56 pm

Re: Quebec ride

Kelly;

Seems like you are taking the Northern route. This could be interesting, especially in July ( lots of animals and flies in that area that time of the year).
Once you are in Gaspe,around Black Lake, you should jump on the 20 ( Transcanadian Hyway) which will get you to Riviere du Loup, where you can travel along the coast to Quebec City, then onto Montreal and then the 417 to Ottawa Save at least 1 or 2 days and spend them around Montreal and/or Ottawa.

Northern Quebec is quite nice ( middle of June or end of July would be better, not flies!!) and the road through the "Parc de la Mauricie" is a beautiful trip.

Give a hollar, when you are around Montreal, if we are home, we can meet for a coffee and/or lunch!!

Have a good one!!!

Bowdon
post #3 of 8 Old Jan 30th, 2011, 5:08 pm

Kelly;

I looked over you route, since your in the North Quebec area, should be nice (watch for Hydro and logging trucks!! and moose at dusk) travelling. One suggestion on the route 113 which turns into the 117 ( stay at Val D'Or for the evening) go down the 117 to the juction of the 105 ( going back to Ottawa) and take the 105. Nicer ride ( a little slower, but more to see and some nice little towns) through Maniwaki which is around 45 miles into Ottawa, Ontario. Then back on the 417 into Montreal and on the way back home!!

Regards,
Bowdon.

Done these roads a long time ago on a Trimph ( t-120)

post #4 of 8 Old Jan 31st, 2011, 5:24 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Hi Bowdon,
Thank you for your response. I had a look at the areas you are talking about. This is the route I am planing. I have ridden many areas of Quebec before including Gaspe, but the other northern areas are new. We spent sone time in the eastern townships a few years ago and also in the Laurenchiens. We both love Montreal. My wife is a Habs fan so we go to a game every year.(miss the old Forum).
I will be by myself on this trip so I as looking for some peaceful riding. This area look interesting.
On my way back from Montreal, I want to stay away from the TCH. I have some time as I plan to be on the road for 2-3 weeks. What would you suggest? Go south of TCH?
Thanks for your help,
Kelly
ps. 2 summers ago, I was having trouble with my shifter sticking. A young mechanic. at the BMW dealership in Quebec City, fixed it in the parking lot. Moncton and Montreal said I would need my transmission removed.

2011, R1200RT
2006, K1200LT (sold)
post #5 of 8 Old Feb 1st, 2011, 8:08 pm

Depending on where you are coming out after the Northern route through Quebec, it seems you will be around the Maniwaki, area ( 105). You can travel down through Gatineau ( near Ottawa) then onto the Hyway 50 around Buckingham, quebec and run down to Hawksbury, Ontario. From there you will have to run through Montreal ( no choice) then onto the South Shore, Hyway 10 then you can run through Vermont, and/or Maine to the tip of New Brunswick then home or its up to you. I don't think this would take more then 7 to 10 days even at a slow pace!!

My wife and I were planing on doing another CCR 2011 again this year, but have decided to take a trip in the middle of June from Montreal to San Antonio, Texas through Ohio, Kentucky,Tennessee,Arkansas, stay in Texas a few days,then through Louisiana,Mississippi,Alabama, Gerogia, South and North Carolina, Verginia and home to Montreal. We have three weeks so hopefully enough time and money!!!

We should be back the begining of July, so it you are going through or near Valleyfield, Quebec email me and we can get together before you leave back home!!

If you camping, we have enough room for your tent, if you need.

Regards,
Bowdon
post #6 of 8 Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 9:41 pm

Here's another take:

Take the ferry over to Blanc Sablon and put your bike on the (new) Nordik Express, for a fun, fascinating ride down to Natashquan. Pick up rt 138 and take it all the way down the north shore of the St Lawrence - to Quebec City or wherever.

While you are down there, take a detour to Vermont.

I was in Newfoundland-Labrador last summer on my R1200RT (via the Nordik Express). What a spectacularly beautiful part of the world!!

Book the Nordik express well in advance.

RB

RB

2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000DS (red)
2009 BMW R1200 RT (biue)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 8:04 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Hi RB,
Was the 138 from Natashquan paved? My LT hates gravel. This looks like it could be interesting. I am looking for some new ground to cover. I like about 8hrs from the Newfoundland ferry to Blanc Sablon. I didn't know this other ferry was there that takes you to Natashquan. I see from other posts that it cost about $400 with container for bike, cabin, and meals?
I love Vermont. Have been there many times. My cousin used to live in Stowe. Last summer, it took the 100 south, crossed the mountains on rt17? I can't remember the route # but it was fantastic.
I will look into your suggestion more.
Thanks,
Kelly

2011, R1200RT
2006, K1200LT (sold)
post #8 of 8 Old Mar 9th, 2011, 2:19 pm

Kelly,

I am sorry it has taken so long to get back to you, I have not been on the site in a while.

Anyway,

138 is paved from Natashquan all the way down to Quebec. Watch the shoulders in some stretches - just pillowy sand.

The Ferry from Nfld to Blanc Sablon across the strait is only 1.5 hrs, but it's a 36 hour ride down to Natashquan on the Nordik Express. You stop at about 6 really remote fishing villages (the boat is their only link to civilization except for the occasional float plane. You pass some really interesting territory, inland passages, etc. Life on the boat is fun (only 36 hours). We had a dual berth cabin but there are all levels and prices of accommodations. I think we were top shelf and it was around $500 all in; food is decent. Reserve early - NOW!

And if you come to VT, please look me up. I live over by Lake Champlain, but will be away until mid June on a ride out west.

Good luck,

RB

RB

2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000DS (red)
2009 BMW R1200 RT (biue)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in