Trip West need your info - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Sep 8th, 2010, 11:18 am Thread Starter

Question Trip West need your info

Planning my retirement trip , would like to go from Dieppe NB to Vancouver, then follow the Pacific coast to Malibu CA, come back up through the Grand Canyon area to east coast.
Has anyone done this trip, should I go the opposite way around, Grand Canyon, up Pacific Coast.
Trip is planned for next August probably 4-6 week ride...please give me your input...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Sep 8th, 2010, 12:44 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Trip West need your info

Can't say much about the far west or NW, but if you are going by the Grand Canyon, then you should also allow time for Bryce Canyon and Zion National Park in Utah. I have not gone to Zion, but when returning from CCR 2008 in Midway UT, I stopped by Bryce and the GC. While the GC is breathtakingly huge, I was actually more impressed with all of the formations at Bryce.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Bryce.bmp (801.7 KB, 30 views)

Doug

2001 Pacific Blue LT
1992 750 Nighthawk
1985 VF700S Sabre
1976 CB550F SS
1973 CB350 Four
1972 Yamaha 250
MOA #134470
post #3 of 13 Old Sep 8th, 2010, 3:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keon
Planning my retirement trip , would like to go from Dieppe NB to Vancouver, then follow the Pacific coast to Malibu CA, come back up through the Grand Canyon area to east coast.
Has anyone done this trip, should I go the opposite way around, Grand Canyon, up Pacific Coast.
Trip is planned for next August probably 4-6 week ride...please give me your input...
Did the Vegas / Grand Canyon / Arizona trip a few years ago. I would suggest that you don't do it in August. The temps are in the 115f range when we were there. It was so hot that we couldn't stop to see much senery, even riding was hot. We wondered why there weren't other bikes on the road, we deduced that they were all in A/C cars.

Garry

Follow my South America ride at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2011 K1600GTL RECEIVED April 30th, 2011 @ 1:30 pm
2012 RED KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 Old Sep 8th, 2010, 5:36 pm

I have acrophobia, and so I much prefer going northward on the PCH

Larry Johnson
post #5 of 13 Old Sep 8th, 2010, 7:00 pm

I live in Alberta, and have done the PCH to San Diego and over through the Grand Canyon. I would suggest a number of must sees along the way would be Crater Lake, Zion, Bryce, Napa Valley (wine), Yosemite, Kings Canyon/Sequoia, Arches National Park,
Canyonlands National Park, Monument Valley,Muir Woods (Redwoods), Death Valley, Mesa Verde, Lake Louise, Peyto Lake, San Simeon, Okanagan Valley (great wines), Tofino/Long Beach. I have been to everyone of them. As you can tell I like National Parks and wine (not necessarily in that order).
post #6 of 13 Old Sep 8th, 2010, 7:02 pm

Definitely go across to Vancouver and work your way south along the coast. The desert will still be hot in September, but less so than in August.
post #7 of 13 Old Sep 8th, 2010, 7:43 pm

it will be a great trip. Leave mid August and go across Canada first because it will be cooler for the most part. The NW and the coast hwy to Ca Will also be cool. By the time you get to the hot areas it will be well into Sept and it will be not to hot. I also agree with all the above suggestions.All great places.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #8 of 13 Old Sep 9th, 2010, 10:49 am Thread Starter

Smile Re: Trip West need your info

Thanks for all the info, will help me to plan this trip...
post #9 of 13 Old Sep 12th, 2010, 9:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry_kramer
Did the Vegas / Grand Canyon / Arizona trip a few years ago. I would suggest that you don't do it in August. The temps are in the 115f range when we were there. It was so hot that we couldn't stop to see much senery, even riding was hot. We wondered why there weren't other bikes on the road, we deduced that they were all in A/C cars.

Garry
+1 Miserable riding in this type of heat. Nothing like it in New Brunswick!
I would advise adjusting your dates, if possible for down south.

Nick
'05 R1200RT
'00 R1100S
'01 R1200C Phoenix
'04 R1200C Montauk
'95 R100R Classic

'84 R80RT (naked)(sold)
'94 R100GSPD (sold)
'84 R100S (wannabe)(sold)
'97 R1100RSL (sold)
'81 R100 (sold)
post #10 of 13 Old Oct 16th, 2010, 12:05 pm

just completed ride up from santa cruze california to vancouver on historic highway 101
you will not regret it , beautiful
there are several cool ways to get to vancouver from alberta southern route 3 scenic & twisty
if comeing hwy 1 you can divert at kamloops & go the back way & go through wistler
very pretty
post #11 of 13 Old Oct 16th, 2010, 2:12 pm

I live on the Oregon coast, so if you are passing thru, e-mail me & we can hoist 1 or 6. Been to the Grand Canyon several times, both south & north rims. If you want the canyon the way it was meant to be viewed, go to the north rim. There is 1 motel, + the grand lodge with 1930's era cabins to rent. Make reservations well in advance, like 9-12 months. The south rim is over developed with fast food, motels etc. Do take the mule ride, it is a blast. Also beware of the heat, it can mess up your day.
post #12 of 13 Old Oct 16th, 2010, 6:52 pm

I am extremely envious. I was going to do this trip in reverse back in 1974 when I was working in Alberta. I had a 1972 R-75-5 BM, and me and a couple of buddies of mine were going to come back east via a similar route, although back then we had dreams of going into Mexico and maybe coming back up the eastern seaboard. Well, the job went long and it turned into December before I was able to leave. My trip east was in a continental wide snow storm (followed me from Alberta to New Brunswick), with my bike {and snowmobile} being towed on a trailer. Met my buddies in Newfoundland for a New Year's party (can you believe we were storm-stayed on the Rock for 12 days) .....still dreaming about that trip, maybe when I get to retire. Good luck on your trip, it will be one to remember for sure, eh!

post #13 of 13 Old Jan 31st, 2011, 9:49 pm
Lifetime Supporter

From Kamloops, go north to Cache Creak and down to Whistler and on to Vancouver. I did that run this summer and I think it was some of the best riding I have ever done!
Southern interior of US will be very hot. Did the mid USA on my way back. Montana, Wyoming, South Dakota, very hot. It was late July.
The New England states are a real treat! I would also suggest West Virginia if time permits. Lots of hills and turns. Also lots of deer!!
Enjoy your ride.
Kelly

2011, R1200RT
2006, R1200GS (located in Ireland)
2006, K1200LT (sold)
1981, Kawasaki CSR 650 (sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in