Going to Newfoundland mid July - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jun 18th, 2010, 7:45 pm Thread Starter

Smile Going to Newfoundland mid July

I'm planning a trip back to the east coast this July. I have toured Nova Scotia, PEI and NB before. Does anyone have any suggestions for must see places or travel advise? I am a bit concerned about the ferry and how they will take care of my bike.
Cheers
Peter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jun 18th, 2010, 8:44 pm

Re: Going to Newfoundland mid July

We visited Newfoundland by truck last summer and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm sure that you will do likewise.

Excellent ferries and experienced staff - don't think you will have any problem there - saw several motorcycles on board. Excellent highway loop around the island although side roads to shore locations can be more rugged. Fill up whenever you get a chance. You can even take a side trip to France while you are there since a small island off Newfoundland is actually owned by France. Sydney harbour is historic and quaint. Gros Morne park is spectacular and the boat ride up the fiord is definitely worth the trip.

Lots of signs warning about moose on the highways and I'd take them seriously although we didn't see any until two walked through our campsite one evening.

Regards...Barry

99 K1200LT LTC
post #3 of 8 Old Jun 19th, 2010, 7:49 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Barry. This will be my first long trip on the new RT. I am a little concerned because there doesn't seem to be any obvious way to strap it down. We'lI just have to wait and see I guess. I did a search on Gros Morne park. It looks spectacular. I've added it to the route. Any thoughts regarding accommodations while there? Did you visit the Viking Settlement? I'm wondering if it's worth the ride.

Ride Safe
Peter

post #4 of 8 Old Jun 20th, 2010, 12:42 am

We stayed in campgrounds throughout the trip; all very nice. I believe that there a many bed and breakfast places. Not so sure about hotels outside of St Johns.

We did not go to the Viking settlement just because it was a long way and we were on a schedule.

Regards...Barry

99 K1200LT LTC
post #5 of 8 Old Jun 20th, 2010, 10:15 am

When I did it on the GS I used the B&B's and would highly recommend it as the sites are great and people even greater!

The ferry service will provide large, truck like, straps to anchor your bike so I would recommend you purchase the small individual straps without the metal hooks that will be more manageable to use on your bike and act as a hook for the large strap... you would need two of these.

The short ferry will take you to Port aux Basque, as you know. Going right from there will take you along a nice little ride to some small towns at the waters edge but great scenery. Turn left and you head towards Stephenville and Corner Brook, and onto Gross Morne where I stayed at Norris Point. You can then decide to go further north in the park or get back on the Trans Canada to go further aroung the island. I headed to Twillingate but there are too many nice places, you will have no trouble discovering!!

Enjoy!

M

"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving."

BMWMOA - #45711

2006 K1200LT - Blue Baby
2003 R1150GS - Yellowbird
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone
1991 K1100RS - Sold and burned
1986 K100RS - In the past
post #6 of 8 Old Jun 21st, 2010, 8:00 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips Mugzy. I'll look for the straps before I go and try to confirm appropriate tie-down points on the bike. I'll check out the B&Bs around the park. Sounds like a little site seeing around Port Au Basque might be a good idea. I have been to St. Johns a few times on business and know the people there are really down-to-earth. I have a story about an ice storm and a streak dinner but it's not bike related at all. Really fine people on the "rock".
Peter
post #7 of 8 Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 7:44 am

I go to the Rock quite often since my wife is from there. Some suggestions are to visit Rose Blanche about a 45 min ride south west of Port Au Basque, Also the Table Lands in Gros Morne Park, Rocky Harbor is a good place to rest.If you want a little humor in your trip check out the band who play there every nite at the hotel. The only thing about touring Nfld is to see some of the out ports there is only one way in and out so you do alot of back tracking. As far as accommodations go, there is no shortage. Lots of places to stay. I find the west end of the island is the prettiest. I wud suggest that you bring your own tie daown straps and tie and tie your bike down yourself. Enjoy your trip and ride safe.

2012 K1600GT - Red
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 R1200RT
2000K1200LTC - Champagne
1984 Yamaha Venture
1975 Honda 750
1973 Honda 750
post #8 of 8 Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 2:20 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the input.. The tie downs are on the list now. I checked online for accommodations around Rocky Harbour etc. It looks a little scarce for the dates I expect to be there. Guess the best plan is to arrive in North Sydney check that I can get on the ferry and book rooms for three or four nights. It's a solo trip and I'm not fussy so it should be OK.

Cheers
Peter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in