Need help with route - 4 Corners ride - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Apr 30th, 2010, 9:57 pm Thread Starter

Need help with route - 4 Corners ride

Hello all... I'm in the process of planning my 4 corners ride this summer ( http://www.usa4corners.org/main.htm ) and was wondering if you folks in the great white north could help me out....

The route I'm considering would take me east from Blaine WA partially along I-94 then on to Sault Ste. Marie where I would cross into Canada and take Canadian highway ON-17 to Ottawa, 417 to Montreal, Auto route 20 past Quebec then on around to Madawaska Me.

So the question to you is ... is this a good route? good roads?

It appears that at least some of ON-17 is a toll road.... I'm curious to know how much the tolls would be as well as how are the tolls paid? Payment / booth? US $$ ok or will I need to change dollars into Canadian to pay the tolls?

Thanks ... Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old May 1st, 2010, 12:03 am

Re: Need help with route - 4 Corners ride

Dan,
I sort of went the reverse route about 4 yrs ago. I went into Canada from NY across the St. Laurence seaway then to Ottawa, North shore then Sudburry for the night. Down to Saute St. Marie. I did not hit any toll roads. If you travel to Montreal you will cover two Canadian provinces to add to your Map. From Montreal go south into VT, then east over the mountains in HM to ME. That way you cover more states for your map. You could go from Montreal into NY then VT, NH and ME. more states. Then south into MA, RI, CT back toward the Hudson, south into, NJ, turn west into PA, south into DE, MD, VA,NC,SC,GA, FL.

My route, I started in Rutland, VT that morning ending in Sudburry by 6:00 PM a little over 600 miles that day.

Rob Asay
99 Canyon Red Lt
"The True Red Dragon"
1982 Honda "Silver Wing"
1986 Gold Wing Interstate "Blue Babe"
1978 Gold Wing
1976 Kawasaki 900
1967 Honda 305 Scrambler
post #3 of 11 Old May 1st, 2010, 10:00 am Thread Starter

Talking Re: Need help with route - 4 Corners ride

Thanks Rob, I'll have to review your route on the map to fully appreciate it...

I hadn't really thought about filling in the blanks on 'my map' but with the states being so close together in that part of the country it makes sense to take advantage of the opportunity.

How about places to stop along the proposed route ... anything special in the way of eats? [img]images/icons/icon10.gif[/img]

Dan

post #4 of 11 Old May 5th, 2010, 12:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgee
Thanks Rob, I'll have to review your route on the map to fully appreciate it...

I hadn't really thought about filling in the blanks on 'my map' but with the states being so close together in that part of the country it makes sense to take advantage of the opportunity.

How about places to stop along the proposed route ... anything special in the way of eats? [img]images/icons/icon10.gif[/img]

Dan
Don't know if they have them in the summer, but get a beaver tail in Ottawa. They are great! (food)

No toll roads the way you want to go in Canada. You'll miss Toronto and Niagara Falls if you keep north. What is your time limit for this ride?

Garry

Follow my South America ride at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2011 K1600GTL RECEIVED April 30th, 2011 @ 1:30 pm
2012 RED KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 11 Old May 5th, 2010, 9:39 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Garry, is there a better alternative in your mind (route) ?

.... Beaver tail eh? ... I might get arrested around here if I asked for one of those to eat in my local watering hole... uhhh, what is it?
post #6 of 11 Old May 5th, 2010, 9:48 pm Thread Starter

sorry ... you asked about the ride time limit.

The time limit is 21 days. We're planning on leaving the Dallas area July 2nd and expect to complete the ride in 12 (optimistic) to 15 days. I'm going with a buddy and we've both done several iron butt rides so we think we can average 700+ miles a day without too much trouble. The total distance is something between 7K-8K miles to hit the 4 corners....then we have to make it back home.
post #7 of 11 Old May 6th, 2010, 12:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgee
sorry ... you asked about the ride time limit.

The time limit is 21 days. We're planning on leaving the Dallas area July 2nd and expect to complete the ride in 12 (optimistic) to 15 days. I'm going with a buddy and we've both done several iron butt rides so we think we can average 700+ miles a day without too much trouble. The total distance is something between 7K-8K miles to hit the 4 corners....then we have to make it back home.
We did Toronto, Salt Lake, Las Vegas, Phieonix, Austin, New Orlens, Florida, Tail of the Dragon, Detroit, Toronto. 13,000 km in 10 days.

How many bikes/ people?

Garry

Follow my South America ride at

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2011 K1600GTL RECEIVED April 30th, 2011 @ 1:30 pm
2012 RED KLR650

post #8 of 11 Old May 8th, 2010, 10:12 pm Thread Starter

It's going to be just me and 1 other rider. I'll be on my 2002 K1200LT and my buddy will be on a a Harley... I think its a softtail custom. We'll probably cover a little over 10,000 miles in about 14-16 days.

Looking forward to it... I'm starting to re-think and second guess all the stuff I normally pack.

dan
post #9 of 11 Old May 21st, 2010, 10:35 pm

Dan , HWY 17 is part of the Trans Canada and traffic can be a problem. A lot of the road is only two lane. Unfortunately, there isn't another from the Sault to Ottawa if time is a factor. There's nothing much of interest on the road from the Sault to North Bay. I haven't ridden 17 east of North Bay for a long time so I can't comment on conditions of facilities for that leg of the ride. But if you had time and wanted to see more of northern Ontario ......

From the Sault along 17 to Thessalon. Take 129 from Thessalon north to Chapleau. Probably the best motorcycle road in the north but isolated. East from Chapleau to Timmins. I did see a LEO on that road once. I think it was 1968. Narrow road but scarce traffic and good pavement as of three years ago. Timmins east on 101 which joins 11 to North Bay. Pavement good. Mostly new four lane from New Liskeard to the North Bay. No problems getting gas and meals. Don't recommend the Liskeard to NB leg at night.

Peter
post #10 of 11 Old May 22nd, 2010, 9:04 pm Thread Starter

Peter, thanks for the info...

So would you (or anyone else familiar with the route) venture a guess as to how long it will take to get from Sault to Madawaska if we stay on 17 the whole way?

Thanks, Dan
post #11 of 11 Old May 23rd, 2010, 11:20 pm

Dan, Really hard for me to say how long it will take. I suppose it depends on riding style etc. The larger population centres are going to be the slowest. In my experience, the area close to the Sault is the worst. Because 17 is mostly two lane the posted speed limit it usually 80 KPH (approx 50 mph). Most people drive about 100KPH (60 mph) and attract little attention. Where the road is four lane or more, the posted speed is usually 100KPH and most drive 110 - 120. I prefer to ride midweek (Tues - Thurs). Fewer 18 wheelers on the road and law enforcement is more apt to be active on the weekends due to high volumes of commercial vehicles, cottage goers and the like. Perhaps someone else can comment on the route through Ottawa and Montreal. I rode the route through Montreal in 07?? and there was major road reconstruction. It was a mess but may be complete by now. It would be great if someone could confirm.
Peter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in