Salvage Title ( New Jersey)!! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Apr 9th, 2010, 6:47 pm Thread Starter

Salvage Title ( New Jersey)!!

Hi all;

I have a friend who called me to let me know he purchased a motorcycle from the US.

Its a Kawa 2003 Mean Streak (1500 cc) from New Jersey. It had a salvage title. ( the front forks were damaged and some scratches on the tank, mostly cosmetic). He ordered the parts and did the work and was getting it ready for the road.

He went to the liecense bureau in Ontario to get the bike inspected and plated so he could ride!!

Found out that Ontario does not allow Salveged titles or rebuilt titles in Ontario!!!

Now he has a bike he can't ride in Ontario!!!

I know he can get this done in Quebec, but he was wondering if anyone has had the same problem in Ontario, and if they found a way around this or had to sell the bike in another province that allows re-built titles !!
Not the smartest this to do is buy a bike first without checking!!

To Late!!

Any replys are appreciated!!

Bowdon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 10th, 2010, 8:30 am

Re: Salvage Title ( New Jersey)!!

Bowdon,

Since you live in Quebec would it be possible for you to buy or register the bike for your friend. Once it is registered in Quebec I think it can then be registered in Ontario. I am pretty sure I have heard of people bring up cars from the states and selling them in Ontario to get around this problem. On the other hand then you have to research vehicle coming from Quebec to weed out salvaged vehicles.

Nick
'05 R1200RT
'00 R1100S
'01 R1200C Phoenix
'04 R1200C Montauk
'95 R100R Classic

'84 R80RT (naked)(sold)
'94 R100GSPD (sold)
'84 R100S (wannabe)(sold)
'97 R1100RSL (sold)
'81 R100 (sold)
Old Apr 10th, 2010, 1:26 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05hexhead
Bowdon,

Since you live in Quebec would it be possible for you to buy or register the bike for your friend. Once it is registered in Quebec I think it can then be registered in Ontario. I am pretty sure I have heard of people bring up cars from the states and selling them in Ontario to get around this problem. On the other hand then you have to research vehicle coming from Quebec to weed out salvaged vehicles.
I did make this offer to him, it seems that Ontario won't allow rebuilt titles on motorcycles since 2006.
Even if I do this, he will not be able to purchase the bike back from me and register the bike in Ontario.

Looks like an Ebay.ca bike for sale!!!

Nice looking bike, and he spend some money on it to get it back to the original look !!
Regards,
Bowdon

Old Apr 10th, 2010, 5:07 pm

If you were to register it would it show a salvage title? I was under the impression that a bike would have a clear registration in Quebec. Then be able to sold from Quebec and registered cleanly in Ontario.

Nick
'05 R1200RT
'00 R1100S
'01 R1200C Phoenix
'04 R1200C Montauk
'95 R100R Classic

'84 R80RT (naked)(sold)
'94 R100GSPD (sold)
'97 R1100RSL (sold)
'81 R100 (sold)
Old Apr 10th, 2010, 5:55 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
If you were to register it would it show a salvage title? I was under the impression that a bike would have a clear registration in Quebec. Then be able to sold from Quebec and registered cleanly in Ontario.
In Quebec, it would show rebuilt title ( I know because I purchased a salvaged bike in 1994, a 1993 K 1100 LT year with 4,000 miles on it). Had the bike for 13 years, put over 45,000 miles on it and sold it in 2008 when I picked up the 2005 LT out of New York.
Even with a rebuilt title, can't sell in Ontario ( already checked) because of the vin number stating it is salvaged even if a new title states rebuilt. ( Go figure!!)

Don't understand this because of some of the cars and trucks you see on the road in Ontario ( rules only apply to motorcycles, not cars and trucks).

He should have checked before buying the bike, he knows now!! he saw a beemer ( CLC ) he would like to have, but the SO said not till this on is [email protected]!!

He is looking at putting it on ebay and stating it has a salvaged title from NJ and not selling it to anyone in Ontario.
Bowdon
Old Apr 10th, 2010, 9:01 pm

Only thing to do is to rent him a room.

Nick
'05 R1200RT
'00 R1100S
'01 R1200C Phoenix
'04 R1200C Montauk
'95 R100R Classic

'84 R80RT (naked)(sold)
'94 R100GSPD (sold)
'97 R1100RSL (sold)
'81 R100 (sold)
Old Apr 11th, 2010, 1:16 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Only thing to do is to rent him a room.
Don't think this is going to happen!!

I told him to sell the bike on Ebay, Craiglist.

Best option for him at this point!

Regards,
Bowdon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in