Looking for the opinion of Canadian riders - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Mar 11th, 2010, 10:41 am Thread Starter

Smile Looking for the opinion of Canadian riders

I'm in the process of starting a web based business that will cater to serious Motorcycle Tourers. I'll be offering some of the most innovative and useful touring equipment available anywhere. I'm frustrated with Canadian dealers always selling the same old stuff. It works but it's often way more expensive than in the US or Europe an often outdated. The last 3 Motorcycle Shows in Toronto once again yielded nothing new in a world that we KNOW has produced some very cool products. They're just not available in Canada.

What I'd like to know is how interested real tourers are in the items listed below:
  • Camping cot weighing less than 3 lbs and packs in a 16" X 5" sac for under $250
  • 3 season 3 man Tent weighing under 7 lbs and packed is 23" X 7" for under $250
  • Emergency pucks (like the Powerflare at Ascycles.com) for under $20 each
  • Nolan N-43 Air (not Trilogy) for under $400
  • Nolan N-com for the N-43 Air for under $325
  • Other innovative touring helmets from Europe for about the European price
I checked with the OPP and ECE helmets are legal in Canada. They don't have to be DOT certified because ECE certification exceeds DOT specs.

Helmets would not be warranteed by the Canadian Distributors of the North American versions of the helmets.

These are a few of the products that I would offer. I welcome any suggestions you may have for any gear that is currently hard to get in Canada for a reasonable price.

Thanks for your input

Al2it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Apr 15th, 2010, 8:29 am

Re: Looking for the opinion of Canadian riders

Quote:
Originally Posted by al2it
I'm in the process of starting a web based business that will cater to serious Motorcycle Tourers. I'll be offering some of the most innovative and useful touring equipment available anywhere. I'm frustrated with Canadian dealers always selling the same old stuff. It works but it's often way more expensive than in the US or Europe an often outdated. The last 3 Motorcycle Shows in Toronto once again yielded nothing new in a world that we KNOW has produced some very cool products. They're just not available in Canada.

What I'd like to know is how interested real tourers are in the items listed below:
  • Camping cot weighing less than 3 lbs and packs in a 16" X 5" sac for under $250
  • 3 season 3 man Tent weighing under 7 lbs and packed is 23" X 7" for under $250
  • Emergency pucks (like the Powerflare at Ascycles.com) for under $20 each
  • Nolan N-43 Air (not Trilogy) for under $400
  • Nolan N-com for the N-43 Air for under $325
  • Other innovative touring helmets from Europe for about the European price
I checked with the OPP and ECE helmets are legal in Canada. They don't have to be DOT certified because ECE certification exceeds DOT specs.

Helmets would not be warranteed by the Canadian Distributors of the North American versions of the helmets.

These are a few of the products that I would offer. I welcome any suggestions you may have for any gear that is currently hard to get in Canada for a reasonable price.

Thanks for your input

Al2it
Al

Sorry for not posting earlier. I am frustrated that I can buy things cheaper in the US. I would like to buy from a Canadian place, but with this economy money talks. I would suggest setting up a web site and start small. Alot of the time buying, shipping, exchange comes out less expensive than buying it here. Also it is delivered to my door. Helmets, IMHO need to be tried on, each MFG's sizes differ a little. I don't know if that helps or not. You may get a bigger response from www.ADVrider.com in the Canadian section

Garry

Follow my South America ride at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2011 K1600GTL RECEIVED April 30th, 2011 @ 1:30 pm
2012 RED KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 Old Apr 15th, 2010, 6:46 pm

Re: Looking for the opinion of Canadian riders

I would buy, looked at the Nolan just the other night, and shipping from Britain was 35.00 lbs., and helmet was 150 lbs., not sure of the conversion, but think uk sterling is 1.5 x dollar, so that price was pretty good, but then there is customs, duties, taxes, custom brokerage fees, and who knows what else, never brought anything in from uk before. It would probably be more than what you are quoting and a whole lot more hassles. Good luck if you do, I am tired of shopping all over and never knowing where i can find things. If I were biking alone, I would be interested in your tent etc., but can't convince the wife to camp any more.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in