More BMW's than Harley's - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Oct 27th, 2009, 9:12 pm Thread Starter

More BMW's than Harley's

I just got finished 6 days of riding through Death Valley, Yosemite, Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks as well as a loop around Lake Tahoe. What really surprised me, was that for the first time ever I counted more Honda's and BMW's on the road than I did Harley's. In the past any time I have taken an extended trip the Harley's outnumbered everything else on the road by a good 2 or 3 to 1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Oct 27th, 2009, 11:33 pm

Garage
Re: More BMW's than Harley's

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronk1200lt
I just got finished 6 days of riding through Death Valley, Yosemite, Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks as well as a loop around Lake Tahoe. What really surprised me, was that for the first time ever I counted more Honda's and BMW's on the road than I did Harley's. In the past any time I have taken an extended trip the Harley's outnumbered everything else on the road by a good 2 or 3 to 1.
Thank you for the compliment.
Here in Northern California we have taken the drastic step of taxing each Harley rider thoroughly. This is done with increased taxes in hazardous material charges (someone has to pick up those oily pieces) Public nuisance (enough said) and various other taxation without representations. If they choose to ride, they must ride BMW's. And those taxes are paid straight to the dealer. So itís a tax deduction because itís considered foreign aid. Just our little way of saying thank you to the rest of the state... Welcome to Kal-ee-for-nei-a, come again soon!

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #3 of 10 Old Oct 28th, 2009, 4:39 pm

Quote:
By chance did you have to put your heated seat on or heated grips on? That would make most HD riders stay home....

Garry

Follow my South America ride at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2011 K1600GTL RECEIVED April 30th, 2011 @ 1:30 pm
2012 RED KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old Oct 28th, 2009, 5:02 pm

It is the same situation during summers in Arizona. Harleys and most Japanese bikes give out too much heat to the rider. So while other riders stop riding during summer time in Arizona, you will see most BMW riders still riding.

Quote:

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

post #5 of 10 Old Oct 28th, 2009, 6:58 pm

Interesting. During Sept I rode from Toronto area to as far as Colorado Springs - thru 10 States covering over 6,000km. During that time I only saw 3 other BMWs. Where are they all?

Come to think of it, I rarely see one while riding around my home area. Unless a time is set up to ride with another BMW rider, my experience is that I'm the lone BMW on the road.

Dirk

08 R1200 RT (traded in)
09 R 1200 GS (Sold)
14 R1200 RT WC (UK Bike - totalled)
16 R1200 RT WC
post #6 of 10 Old Oct 28th, 2009, 7:19 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry_kramer
By chance did you have to put your heated seat on or heated grips on? That would make most HD riders stay home....

Garry
In Bad Water, Death Valley it was +35 C. In Tioga Pass just out of Yosemite it was +6 C. Three nights I had to scrape the frost off the bike before we started to ride. So maybe that was it Garry, they don't like the cold.
post #7 of 10 Old Dec 1st, 2009, 6:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNBKR
Interesting. During Sept I rode from Toronto area to as far as Colorado Springs - thru 10 States covering over 6,000km. During that time I only saw 3 other BMWs. Where are they all?

Come to think of it, I rarely see one while riding around my home area. Unless a time is set up to ride with another BMW rider, my experience is that I'm the lone BMW on the road.
Hi
You're not alone. I quite often ride thru Brampton area. Keep your eyes open for a black 09 RT.
Ellie
post #8 of 10 Old Dec 1st, 2009, 11:20 pm
jsb

The Harleys were there, I'm sure. They were just on their trailers, getting pulled behind the Escalade.
post #9 of 10 Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 12:08 am

When I get out of town, and stay away from small town bars, I do not see too many H-Ds just out and about. Sometimes in one long string. However, I do see about 1 BMW an hour on the weekends.

In town during the week, I see more BMW's and Hondas that Harley's going to work. But how many places really can you take straight pipes to work. Though I am sure we fail to notice a log of Harleys with stock mufflers.

I don't think of H-D as a regular day to day transportation bike like I did my Yamaha for years, and others do their Beemers and Hondas.

But one experience does not make a consensus.

bil

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06
post #10 of 10 Old Dec 6th, 2009, 8:42 pm Thread Starter

I went up to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon on another trip two weeks ago and same story. Lots of BMW's and Wings but very few Harley's.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in