Newbie - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Aug 14th, 2009, 8:08 am Thread Starter

Just bought a 2003 1200 LT with 10,000 miles on the internet. I'm flying from Calgary and picking it up tomorrow in Montreal. I know very little about the bike. Have been trying to find a good service manual. Any suggestions? I have been riding a Honda Valkyrie for the past few years and always wanted to try a BMW so here goes. I'm 5' 7" and a little worried about seat height. I'll see when I get there. I hear there are seat height adjustments and lowering kits available. However, the Valkyrie seat was quite high and I handled that OK.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Aug 14th, 2009, 8:40 am

Re: Newbie

I don't have a LT, but a friend of mine does. He has a Clymers manual and it seems pretty extensive. I have a Clymers for my airhead and prefer it over my Haynes manual.

Nick
'05 R1200RT
'00 R1100S
'01 R1200C Phoenix
'04 R1200C Montauk
'95 R100R Classic

'84 R80RT (naked)(sold)
'94 R100GSPD (sold)
'84 R100S (wannabe)(sold)
'97 R1100RSL (sold)
'81 R100 (sold)
post #3 of 15 Old Aug 14th, 2009, 8:49 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

HERE YOU GO. Enjoy the New ride.

IF you do happen to let the Big Girl take a nap LOOK AT THIS

Stevie Shreeve

post #4 of 15 Old Aug 14th, 2009, 8:49 am

I don't know if Haynes makes manuals.. Clymer does so, far as I know, that's your "choice". I have the BMW CD... not as usable for a "newbie" as Clymer..

This is a HEAVY bike once it starts to tip... if you can't maintain it... don't let it pinch your leg to the ground.

Always come to a stop with the front wheel straight... see previous sentence.

Welcome aboard!
post #5 of 15 Old Aug 14th, 2009, 11:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre
Just bought a 2003 1200 LT with 10,000 miles on the internet. I'm flying from Calgary and picking it up tomorrow in Montreal. I know very little about the bike. Have been trying to find a good service manual. Any suggestions? I have been riding a Honda Valkyrie for the past few years and always wanted to try a BMW so here goes. I'm 5' 7" and a little worried about seat height. I'll see when I get there. I hear there are seat height adjustments and lowering kits available. However, the Valkyrie seat was quite high and I handled that OK.
I can see by your profile you shouldn't have any trouble with this bike. I have a 2000LT. Took a little time getting use to stopping because of it's weight. I'm sure you will be pleasantly surprised on the performance and handling on your way back to Calgary. As far as maintenance goes, buying a Clymers service manual would be your best bet. Enjoy the ride and ride safe.

2012 K1600GT - Red
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 R1200RT
2000K1200LTC - Champagne
1984 Yamaha Venture
1975 Honda 750
1973 Honda 750
post #6 of 15 Old Aug 14th, 2009, 4:17 pm

Thumbs up Re: Newbie

Great Bike!!
Hope you have fun driving back!!
I am just outside Montreal.

Be careful riding around Montreal, the streets are extremely bad with LARGE to EXTRA LARGE POTHOLES!!! And the drivers are, all race car drivers!! ( Home of Jacques Villneauve!! F-1 Racer!!!

Its better when you will get on the 40-east towards Toronto. Its going to be a great three days with sun and temp around 28C no rain till Thursday next week!!
From Montreal to the Ontario border is around 40 miles, wait to gas up in Ontario ( 10Cents a litre cheaper!!)

Enjoy the ride!!
Bowdon
post #7 of 15 Old Aug 14th, 2009, 9:43 pm

I can attest to the BIG POTHOLES as I went through Montrael on Sunday. Missed the exit north and had to go through the city....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowdon
Great Bike!!
Hope you have fun driving back!!
I am just outside Montreal.

Be careful riding around Montreal, the streets are extremely bad with LARGE to EXTRA LARGE POTHOLES!!! And the drivers are, all race car drivers!! ( Home of Jacques Villneauve!! F-1 Racer!!!

Its better when you will get on the 40-east towards Toronto. Its going to be a great three days with sun and temp around 28C no rain till Thursday next week!!
From Montreal to the Ontario border is around 40 miles, wait to gas up in Ontario ( 10Cents a litre cheaper!!)

Enjoy the ride!!
Bowdon

Follow my South America ride at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2011 K1600GTL RECEIVED April 30th, 2011 @ 1:30 pm
2012 RED KLR650

post #8 of 15 Old Aug 17th, 2009, 9:32 pm

Smile Re: Newbie

These are great bikes. On the open road at speed you would think your riding on air. Around
town with two up takes some getting used to...two low speed drops, both doing U-turns,
not the way to impress and not good for the ego. The clymers, along with the info on this
site makes the routine maintenance very do able.
Enjoy you ride.
post #9 of 15 Old Aug 25th, 2009, 1:43 pm

Pierre;

Have not heard from you on how you like the LT!!

How was the drive back home?

Drop a note.

Bowdon.
post #10 of 15 Old Oct 20th, 2009, 9:34 pm Thread Starter

Got back from Montreal OK. Thanks for the comments everyone. Have been on holidays for a while and away from my computer Dropped it three times in the first three days. Have not dropped it since. Having problems with the bike though, Leaking radiator fluid. Have left a note on the general K1200 site for help.
post #11 of 15 Old Oct 20th, 2009, 10:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
HERE YOU GO. Enjoy the New ride.

IF you do happen to let the Big Girl take a nap LOOK AT THIS
easier said then done with bad knees and back..........I wait for a friend...

Loansumrider: Jim
01 LT Fast Pacific Blue ... " The Goose "

? when to ASUME, and HOW MUCH should you ASUME, safely ?
post #12 of 15 Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 8:35 pm

That uTube vid makes the pickup look so easy!!!
I'm 6', 225 lbs, and 63.

I had a tipover in Sept. at an intersection, looking left as I eased forward at the light, not noticing that there was a drop in the pavement level on my right. She started over, I hit the kill switch and stepped clear as it rested on the right bumper.

Walked around, pulled out the sidestand, backed up to her just as in the video, and tried to lift/back it to vertical.
Nothing happened.
Extended my feet out in front further than felt comfortable, and up she came, before a couple of guys got out of their cars to assist me.
Knowing it was still in first gear, I let it lean over to the left, away from me, on the side stand.
As I walked around to mount up, the bright glow from my very red face offset any minor pride at having lifted her up.
What happens when she goes down on a gravel road, or wet pavement or grass, or falls downhill?
Time will tell.
post #13 of 15 Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 12:10 am

Garage

If you intend on doing anything minor to major search the files section for the repair manual. I recently dove into a fairly major job and found the aftermarket manual difficult to follow. I.,e. refer to section 7.1 for this process and graph 3 (several pages back) for that process. Whereas the repair manual is not as detailed but gives the sequence and the torque settings at the end of the process. I used both!

Either way welcome to a great group of guys and gals? We all seem to pitch in when someone is in need. Some (myself included) are a little more sarcastic than others, but take it all in stride.....its a great ride....

As a side note, when removing the tupperware there are longer screws (14 of them total) that attach the side panels with the exception of the 4 shorter under the turn signals... Everything else on the bike gets the short 15's...Ask me how I know....

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #14 of 15 Old Oct 30th, 2009, 7:30 pm

The link mentioned above for the 1998-2005 Clymer manual points to a site that sells it for $44.95.

Clymer sells the manual (1998-2008) direct for $32,47. Here is the link:

http://www.clymer.com/Book.aspx?bid=...LT+1998-2008*+

I assume that there were no major changes between 2008 and 2009 models of the LT.

James Garner
Frisco, TX
BMWMOA #153642
2009 K1200LT
N5OOO
post #15 of 15 Old Oct 31st, 2009, 9:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_garner
The link mentioned above for the 1998-2005 Clymer manual points to a site that sells it for $44.95.

Clymer sells the manual (1998-2008) direct for $32,47. Here is the link:

http://www.clymer.com/Book.aspx?bid=...LT+1998-2008*+

I assume that there were no major changes between 2008 and 2009 models of the LT.
IT SEEMS THAT OPTION PACKAGE ITEMS ARE NOT INCLUDED IN THE MANUAL FOR THE 09'S, LIKE XEON HEADLIGHT, ALARM SYTEM. I DON'T KNOW IF THE CD COVERS MORE ITEMS AND HAVE UPDATED WIRING DRIAGRAMS TO COVER THE 09 MODEL.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in