Taking the daughter on a ride in the morning.. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Aug 1st, 2009, 6:40 pm Thread Starter

Taking the daughter on a ride in the morning..

I am going to take my daughter on a short road trip in the morning. Enter Canada in Windsor and trek North to Sarnia and back into Michigan. Short day but adventurous for my daughter just the same.
Does anyone have a cafe, point of interest or an event to pass along ? Any route we may want to try?
You would think we were saddling up for a trip across the world but it is our first trip over 50 miles so its all the same to us.
Thanks for any info you can share. Hope to see a fellow rider or two along the way.
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Aug 1st, 2009, 7:51 pm

Re: Taking the daughter on a ride in the morning..

Not sure if you are planning an overnighter but you could take #21 along the lake to Goderich then #8 through Clinton to Stratford and do an overnight in Stratford or from Sarnia come south to #3 following lake Erie back to Windsor.

Either way Ridgetown is off the 401 on your way back so let me know if you want to meet for a coffe break and some chit chat.

Mugz

"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving."

BMWMOA - #45711

2006 K1200LT - Blue Baby
2003 R1150GS - Yellowbird
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone
1991 K1100RS - Sold and burned
1986 K100RS - In the past
post #3 of 13 Old Aug 1st, 2009, 10:25 pm

I hope you know what you're starting! It is exactly 4 years since I "innocently" took my then 11 year old daughter to a Sunday morning breakfast. Now she rides her own Ninja 250 to breakfast, rallys, etc.

You might find this article on the MOA website interesting. http://www.bmwmoa.org/news/general_i...it_all_started

I wrote it to chronicle her interest and enthusiasm for riding motorcycles.

I hope you enjoy your ride - I know I always did.

Dave

2008 K1200LT Biarritz Blue
2004 K1200RS Capri Blue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 Old Aug 1st, 2009, 10:39 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Launchpad
I am going to take my daughter on a short road trip in the morning. Enter Canada in Windsor and trek North to Sarnia and back into Michigan. Short day but adventurous for my daughter just the same.
Does anyone have a cafe, point of interest or an event to pass along ? Any route we may want to try?
You would think we were saddling up for a trip across the world but it is our first trip over 50 miles so its all the same to us.
Thanks for any info you can share. Hope to see a fellow rider or two along the way.
Brian
Passports?

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #5 of 13 Old Aug 1st, 2009, 11:08 pm

Just check, I think Ontario is/was passing a law that you could not have anyone less than 12 years of age on a motorcycle. How old is your daughter?

Garry

Follow my South America ride at

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2011 K1600GTL RECEIVED April 30th, 2011 @ 1:30 pm
2012 RED KLR650

post #6 of 13 Old Aug 1st, 2009, 11:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMitchell
Passports?
It is always easier to cross the border with passports. Not sure what you yanks need to get into Canada, but we need passports to get into the US.

Garry

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2012 RED KLR650

post #7 of 13 Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 6:50 am Thread Starter

Thanks gang. Daughter is 18 so in the clear with passports in hand. Just making it a day trip this time. We will see where the road leads us. Find a little hole in Canada and never leave is my favour. Off we go.
post #8 of 13 Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 6:03 pm

Quote:
Thanks gang. Daughter is 18 so ......
The LT sure makes her look tiny in your avatar!

2003 R1200CL Silver
1999 Honda Valkyrie Interstate poor man's six-banger
2008 Yamaha Venture - Sold after 6 months; I already miss the casette deck
2003 LT - Gone to be mated with a sidecar
1999 LT - Gone but not forgotten; my first Beemer
post #9 of 13 Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 8:23 pm Thread Starter

We made the trip today. What a great place to ride. Shocking what kind of change comes moments after leaving the filth of Detroit. 12 hour trip and neither my daughter or I could hardly stand to walk from the LT to the front door. GOOD GOD is that seat uncomfortable. Bead riders helped for a short distance before it felt like I was shot in the but with 50 salk pellets. Was six hours into the trip and ready to stop and buy a couple pillows to put between our rosie A**'s and the bike. I sit here typing while sitting slightly tilted with knees facing south.. ****the pain****And the wife has to laugh......I'll never live this one down.
Once I figure out the discomfort problem I will be back to Canada to enjoy more roads. What a beautiful place....
Dave, enjoyed the article. My daughter and I have been riding for the last few months near our home town and she is hard wired into the bike world now. She seems to have found the passion just as I did. If she survives this bruised butt thing then I know she is hooked for life. It's a nice connection to have with a daughter and seems it is keeping her and I close.
post #10 of 13 Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 10:17 pm

Quote:
Dave, enjoyed the article. My daughter and I have been riding for the last few months near our home town and she is hard wired into the bike world now. She seems to have found the passion just as I did. If she survives this bruised butt thing then I know she is hooked for life. It's a nice connection to have with a daughter and seems it is keeping her and I close.
The MOA has a 2-day event called "Camp GEARS" on the Tuesday and Wednesday prior to the National rally. My son went to a couple of them and my daughter has been at the last 2 - at Gillette and Johnson City. It is for younger riders aged 16 to 26. They teach them safety, proper riding gear, some maintenance and they meet some of the characters from the BMW world ie Nate Kern, etc, but mostly they have a good time with people their own age. If your daughter is still hooked on riding, this is a good event for the younger crowd to attend. Next years rally is in Redmond, OR - my daughter is already making plans with the other attendees from Johnson City on how they'll get there next July.

I agree the stock seat on the LT is not very comfortable. Currently I have beads on mine to improve the airflow and avoid sticking to the seat - but you're right it is still uncomfortable after a few hours. Once the weather cools down here (probably mid November!), I'll put the AirHawk and sheepskin back on - that works well on my RS.

Other than the seat issue, I'm glad you enjoyed your day.

Dave

2008 K1200LT Biarritz Blue
2004 K1200RS Capri Blue

post #11 of 13 Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 9:07 am

Funny thing about daughters... I have a son and two daughters, all in their twenties. Both girls loved the intro and subsequent rides. My son, on the other hand, has yet to grace the LT with his butt. Just "seems way too dangerous, you know". Go figure...

2003 R1200CL Silver
1999 Honda Valkyrie Interstate poor man's six-banger
2008 Yamaha Venture - Sold after 6 months; I already miss the casette deck
2003 LT - Gone to be mated with a sidecar
1999 LT - Gone but not forgotten; my first Beemer
post #12 of 13 Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 10:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMeister
Funny thing about daughters... I have a son and two daughters, all in their twenties. Both girls loved the intro and subsequent rides. My son, on the other hand, has yet to grace the LT with his butt. Just "seems way too dangerous, you know". Go figure...
Hey, Maybe that's a GOOD thing......

Garry

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2012 RED KLR650

post #13 of 13 Old Aug 4th, 2009, 3:29 pm

Garry

Even americans need passports to get back in their own country, or some kind of special international drivers license.

BLUBYU in the Toronto area

"You can't always get what you want, but if you try real hard, you just mind find, you get what you need."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in