Touring? Where Ya Goin! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jul 17th, 2009, 1:37 pm Thread Starter

Touring? Where Ya Goin!

It has been pretty quiet around here lately. I assume that since we get so little good weather in Canada, that most of you are out ridin your arse off. If you are touring this summer, where are you going? I have made it out to the island from Edmonton and have done a fair bit of touring in B.C. this year. Hopefully in September I will ride to Yosemite in California and see most of the big mountain parks there. Should be good enough for a 20k season.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jul 17th, 2009, 1:56 pm

Re: Touring? Where Ya Goin!

I did the 'Just for the Halibut' to Hyder Alaska in early June, also some trips to Fernie BC via David Thompson & hwy 93, Crows Nest & Bragg Creek. Also some club rides to North of Slave Lake & a few others. Hoping to head to Newfoundland mid to late august.

BIGHOPPER (Phil)
BGB 602
2016 R1200RT LC Purchase March
2003 R1150GSA Black Beast (purchased Nov 2011- 32,372klms)
2006 K1200LT Grey
(Purchased 2008, 7,350 mls) Trade in on 2016 RT at 80,600miles
1975 Norton John Player Replica (Sold When I got Married)
1973 Norton Interstate
1965 Atlas 750
1971 Triumph Trail Blazer(Rode from London to Sydney Aust, no maps for that)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 Old Jul 17th, 2009, 4:30 pm

Goin' out to St John's next week for a rather short-ish tour from down here in Maine (almost Canada). Does that count even though it's a Yank makin' the ride? 'Bout 3,000 mi/4,828 km round trip ... 3,500 mi/5,632 km if I do Cape Breton, Halifax 'round to Yarmouth and some of the other suggested side trips as well ...

Russ ... a Timeless Rogue

Every day's a good day, it's just that some are better than others ...

post #4 of 7 Old Jul 17th, 2009, 6:03 pm

Making a mad dash to Halifax on Aug 9th to meet some family from Germany, then take 2 weeks to get back to Toronto.

Garry

Follow my South America ride at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2011 K1600GTL RECEIVED April 30th, 2011 @ 1:30 pm
2012 RED KLR650

post #5 of 7 Old Jul 20th, 2009, 2:09 pm

Rode from Van. Isl. up to Whistler, Lillooet via the Duffy Lake Rd.(poor condition), then east through Kamloops,Revelstoke, Golden (awesome scenery in the Rockies) on to Lake Louise. Then North to Jasper through Icefields Parkway (beautiful). East to Edmonton via Hinton and Edson.(stopped for a soak at Miette Hot Springs). 2 day stop in Ft.Saskatchewan then north to Lesser Slave Lk., Dawson Creek (Canola fields), then south via Hwy 97 Prince George, 100 Mile House to Cache Creek, east to Logan Lake on Hwy. 5C (great morning ride),
then down one of my favs, 5A through Merritt, Princeton, Manning Park (last night camp,tear, tear)
then back to the island (Courtenay). 12 day tour, approox 4500 kms fab scenery, good weather. My pard travelled on her 650 Burgy, me on my R1200 RT.
Dano2
post #6 of 7 Old Jul 21st, 2009, 12:45 pm

We did a week in PA, WV, Virginia, and New York and Maryland a few weeks ago, and had a great time. Around 2,100 miles for the week. Lots of Harley's and Goldwings but only saw two LT's, both in the pouring rain on Sat in PA. ( Sat June 27, if this was you guys!!!) between Scranton and Harrisburg!!

Wife and I will be going to CCR this year in Rapid City. Will travel through Northern Ontario maybe to Winnipeg and down through Fargo ND then onto Rapid City, SD for the rally on Sept 1, 2009.

We were going to do the MOA rally in Tenn this year, but decided to try CCR instead. We have been to many BMW rally and had a great time, but looking for something different.

Regards,
bowdon
post #7 of 7 Old Jul 26th, 2009, 8:56 pm

It all began a year ago ... the notion of making a pilgrimage to St John's, Newfoundland ...

I really haven't a clue just what spawned this capricious idea ... this desire ... this need ... perhaps the thought of traveling to far-off lands ... perhaps the idea of just going ... being ... someplace else ... and the mystery, the exotica of making that journey on my R1200C ...

After finding the RTR '08 thread here on Chromeheads and subsequently the Ride the Rock '08 website, the plotzing began ... route planning and scheduling, prepping the bike, getting together my kit, wrapping my mind around the concept of the journey. And then ... the disappointment of cancellation due to circumstances I won't bemoan here ... not just now ...

That disappointment morphed from the pain of cancellation to seeing at it as merely a postponement. It was with this mindset that plans began to join my fellows for Ride the Rock '09 ...

This past Winter found the bike undergoing the usual I've-got-nothing-better-to-do-with-my-time tweaking and maintenance including a paint upgrade. Come Spring, reservations were made for ferry crossings and accommodations. As what sufficed for Summer here on the Mid-coast of Maine came upon us, things really started coming together as I ... once again ... started prepping the bike and getting my kit together in anticipation of the upcoming expedition to that mysterious farthest-eastern province of Newfoundland ...

My route would take me to Moncton for the first day with the second day ending with me in North Sydney where I've got a rez on the "Midnight Special" to Port Aux Basques. Day three will find me having a bite to eat after getting off the ferry before making the 5+ hour 300 mile/482 kilometer ride to Grand Falls-Windsor at which point I will decide whether or not to continue on to St John's or leave that for the next morning. Of course, all this depends on the weather ... iffy at best this Summer as there've been many more rainy days than sunny. In other words, if either the 27th or28th is a stormy day and the other is to be a good day for travel, you will probably find me going straight on to North Sydney rather than stop in Moncton ... same after the crossing, leaving out the stay at Grand Falls on the way to St John's where, in any scenario, I should arrive by the 30th. I'll do my site-seeing on the way back. Of course, all of this will be subject to change as my whims for side trips and alternate routes come to play. Why am I wimping out in favor of such short days? This is s'posed to be a relaxing, first-time-out-of-town-for-a-long-ride in two summers, see-some-sites kinda ride ... not some pedal-to-the-metal, ball-busting marathon trip ... St John's will still be there when I arrive ... and hopefully when I leave ...

And now the time has come ... the bike stands at the ready ... my mind, body and spirit are ready and anxiously awaiting dawn. Within hours I will make my departure on this 3,000 mile/4,828 kilometre escapade. Get ready, Canada ... beware, St John's: the Yanks are coming!

Russ ... a Timeless Rogue

Every day's a good day, it's just that some are better than others ...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in