Winnipeg to Edmonton Ideas - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jun 30th, 2009, 8:06 am Thread Starter

Winnipeg to Edmonton Ideas

In early August a friend and I will be traveling from Wiconsin to Edmonton via Winnipeg, and then on to Glacier and Yellowstone NPs. We'll have some free time between Edmonton and GNP, so looking for things to do. Also interested in route advice for Winnipeg-Edmonton. The maps say route 16 is the best, and it looks it, but I've always wanted to go to Moose Jaw. The name more than anything else.

Cheers,

Adam
2006 K1200LT 2001 Kawi KLR650
The
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wants YOU!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jun 30th, 2009, 8:34 am

Re: Winnipeg to Edmonton Ideas

Make sure your cruise control is functioning properly

RB

2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000DS (red)
2009 BMW R1200 RT (biue)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 Old Jun 30th, 2009, 9:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwbloch
Make sure your cruise control is functioning properly
That raised a smile. Lots of flat straight roads in that area. We'll be running through there next week.

Live Slow... Fly Fast

Check out our
blog that chronicled our trip to Alaska and back.

<- The Boy
The Toys

2001 K1200LT-C that's been to the Alaskan Arctic Circle and back
2008 VRSCAWA H-D V-Rod with a few goodies
2005 VRSCA H-D V-Rod
1981 Mooney M20J

post #4 of 10 Old Jun 30th, 2009, 10:46 am
Lifetime Supporter

In southern Alberta, check out Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump Interpretive Center near Fort Macleod http://www.head-smashed-in.com/, and the Lancaster Bomber Museum in Nanton http://www.lancastermuseum.ca/.

Motor On ,/'

post #5 of 10 Old Jun 30th, 2009, 11:02 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkersh1
In southern Alberta, check out Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump Interpretive Center near Fort Macleod http://www.head-smashed-in.com/, and the Lancaster Bomber Museum in Nanton http://www.lancastermuseum.ca/.
This is what I'm talking about! Keep 'em coming.

Adam
The
wants YOU!
post #6 of 10 Old Jun 30th, 2009, 3:35 pm

I would probably take the transCanada (highway 1) to Medicine hat then switch to Highway #3 to Lethbridge. From Lethbridge you can take #2 to Fort Macleod and the Head Smashed in Buffalo jump. Afterwards continue north on #2 to Nanton and the lancaster Museum. Continuing north on #2 will bring you to Calgary. Calgary has a number of attractions to see Such as Heritage park an early western historical museum type of park. If you are going to be in the Calgary area during July 3rd to the 12th you can take in the Calgary Stampede.

When you are finished in Edmonton I would recommend taking highway 16 to Jasper. From Jasper take the Banff Jasper highway to Lake Louise and then into Banff. This route will give you some of the most spectacular scenery in the world. From Banff I would head East on Highway 1 to the highway 22 turnoff to Bragg Creek. Head south towards bragg creek and then from Bragg Creek head towards Calgary until you see the signs for Highway 22 south. I would then follow 22 south until you reach highway 3. From there head for Pincher Creek and then on to highway 6 which will take you to Waterton/Glacier park. Follow the road to the Chief Mountain customs port and re enter the US.

If you have a garmin gps PM me and I will put a route together and send it to you.

Ken

Ken Riach

2007 K1200LT

"
post #7 of 10 Old Jun 30th, 2009, 4:40 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriach
From Jasper take the Banff Jasper highway to Lake Louise...
I was tooling around on Google Maps kind of eyeing that road, but it added at least 4 hours to the trip. Then I turned on the Satellite option and that road just screamed "ride me!". Is this the route you were talking about:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...24353&t=h&z=10

We're on a time crunch for the Winnipeg-Edmonton leg so alternate routes won't be used there, but jeez that one looks nice.

BTW, timeframe is beginning of August.

Scope creep is starting to show up. I zoomed out of the map and started thinking that Alaska wasn't that far away. Save that for another trip.

Cheers,

Adam
The
wants YOU!
post #8 of 10 Old Jun 30th, 2009, 5:22 pm

That is exactly the route I was talking about. Spend the extra time, I promise you will not regret it. The road does truly scream ride me. It is too bad that you have a time constraint as there are a lot of things to see and some great roads in this area. I can suggest a couple of other roads for you depending on how much time you have. Let me know and I will send you a couple.

Ken Riach

2007 K1200LT

"
post #9 of 10 Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 2:12 pm

I go from Edmonton to Brandon (near Winnipeg) to visit my son at the military base in Shilo, Manitoba. Even though it is flat, there are definitely some things worth seeing along the way. Last trip I stopped at:
1. Riding Mountain Park in Manitoba (big hills - nice lakes).
2. The RCMP Museum is Regina.
3. Lake Manitou (a mineral lake like the Dead Sea). They have a mineral spa which is nice. This is just south of Saskatoon.
4. Lake Diefenbacker. This is between Saskatoon and Regina. Take the ferry. It is a about 30 minutes.
5. Moosejaw, Sask. Al Capone holed up here and the Chinese laborors lived in tunnels. Interesting history.
post #10 of 10 Old Jul 4th, 2009, 1:42 pm

The other site you should see if you are willing to venture a little further south is Drumheller. The Badlands are spectacular and they have a world class Dinosaur Museum.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in