Importing BMW into Canada recall letter fees - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old May 28th, 2009, 9:24 pm Thread Starter

Importing BMW into Canada recall letter fees

Hello everyone...just became proud owner of a 1200GS 5 days ago, bought in North Carolina. After going though all the loops and jumps for getting the taxes and registration done I was asked by Dept of Transport to get a letter from a BMW dealer to confirm there was no outstanding recalls on the bike...I phoned BMW Canada and was told to bring the bike to a dealer and a fee of $500 was required for their service...I phoned my local dealer, 4 hours drive away, was told I must bring the bike to their dealership, that the $500 was a flat fee needed for making sure the serial number was correct, getting the letter of recalls and completing a DOT form. I told the guy to roll the form tight and stick it where the sun does not shine. I phone BMW USA and after being provided the details about recalls on my bike verbally on the phone, he refused to fax the info to me, telling me to contact a BMW dealer in Canada! I phoned two dealers in the US and eventually got someone to fax me the recall and service letter for free, the dealer told me BMW Canada has been raising hell to make it harder for Canadian to buy BMW in the US, the fees was a way of getting in on the action! The dealer was not impressed and choose to send me the info free of charges....it took the guy 1.5 minutes to access and fax...then I was told Canadian Tire was an approved DOT vehicle inspection location, took an appointment, brought my bike for an inspection which, amazingly, consisted of having a mechanic to look at my serial number and writing same on the DOT form I had previously obtained on their online site, this took a total of 2 minutes! and to top it off, Canadian Tire does not charge anything for the service!!! I repeat...no fees! Shame on the greedy B#[email protected]%%^ BWM Canada!! From now on, I'll make sure all my parts and services will be done in the US! At that rate, BMW Canada is gouging Canadian at the rate of $15000 an hour! Knowing what I know now I suggest anyone wanting to purchase a BMW in the US to get the recall and service BMW letter from the seller, he can phone in and get the document for themselves on your behalf...this will save you big time once you return to Canada.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old May 29th, 2009, 8:50 am

Re: Importing BMW into Canada recall letter fees

Well done!

FYI, Canadian Tire is under contract with RIV to do all the inspections of vehicles imported into Canada. The $214. fee you pay for your Form 1 includes the cost of the inspection CT does. They are not doing out of goodness of heart.

Nick
'05 R1200RT
'00 R1100S
'01 R1200C Phoenix
'04 R1200C Montauk
'95 R100R Classic

'84 R80RT (naked)(sold)
'94 R100GSPD (sold)
'84 R100S (wannabe)(sold)
'97 R1100RSL (sold)
'81 R100 (sold)
post #3 of 23 Old May 29th, 2009, 5:42 pm

Thanks for raising this topic again (and my blood pressure).
Bunch of shameless crooks, BMW Group Canada.
Scan the older topics in this forum; there was loads of discussion. I wonder how the class-action lawsuit went. Couldn't have gone THAT well, since they are still sticking to us, and going to great lengths to do so - such as convincing Beemer-USA not to issue recall letters, and threatening individual dealers against doing so.
My case was even worse - RIV wouldn't accept a dealer service printout as proof of 'no recalls'. I see now, on their website, that they will take a dealer service letter.
Bastards...

2003 R1200CL Silver
1999 Honda Valkyrie Interstate poor man's six-banger
2008 Yamaha Venture - Sold after 6 months; I already miss the casette deck
2003 LT - Gone to be mated with a sidecar
1999 LT - Gone but not forgotten; my first Beemer

post #4 of 23 Old Jun 4th, 2009, 9:55 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I purchased an 06'LT last August in the US. I got a copy of the recall letter from the guys dealer and never had to pay the $500. The canadian border people said BMW Canada was not charging that fee anymore but it looks like some people are still getting stung! Advise it to get the letter before you come back. Good luck to future buyers.
Kelly

2011, R1200RT
2006, R1200GS (located in Ireland)
2006, K1200LT (sold)
1981, Kawasaki CSR 650 (sold)
post #5 of 23 Old Jun 5th, 2009, 4:04 pm

I also bought my 06 LT last July and after calling several US dealers none of them would print out a recall letter. One of the dealers looked up my vin # and verbally told me that there was no open campaigns, which is BMW lingo for no recalls. I couldn't even get them to print out a service record which would show no recalls. So I went to a Vancouver dealer and paid the $500.00 extorsion fee, and after all of 5 minutes in their office, I was on my way and was sent the recall letter a week later. I think they are still charging that rediculous fee. Havn't heard anything about the class action lawsuit against BMW over this issue, but it could take years to get through the courts according to one of the legal companies involved.
I guess I should have phoned all of the dealers in the northwest US until I got my letter.
Enjoy the summer rides!!
Jim

1953 Ariel 350
1970 Norton Commando
1975 Honda Excel 250
1977 Kawasaki Z1000 LT
1985 Honda V65 Magna
1989 Yamaha Venture Royalle
2006 BMW K1200 LT
post #6 of 23 Old Jun 5th, 2009, 6:40 pm

My own case was awesome, in other ways: a forum member from Cali, whom I never met, cajoled a 'vehicle history report' from his dealer (for my bike); scanned it and emailed it to me. Ended my saga in a flash. Wow. A bit of 'pay it forward' sitch. I'm still grateful and amazed to this day.

2003 R1200CL Silver
post #7 of 23 Old Jun 8th, 2009, 8:33 pm

How much did you think you saved vs. buying one in Canada. I bought a GT last fall here in Canada and figured it was about break even with a U.S. purchase once I added GST, BMW fee, Canadian Tire Inspection, border costs, currency exchange and transportation costs.
post #8 of 23 Old Jun 9th, 2009, 9:24 am

Figured I saved about $5000 when I imported my R1200RT last year. Very limited supply of used bikes and the one I bought had a ton of farcles on it. The Canadian dollar was about par. Would have had to pay GST at a dealer here as well.

Nick
'05 R1200RT
'00 R1100S
'01 R1200C Phoenix
'04 R1200C Montauk
'95 R100R Classic

'84 R80RT (naked)(sold)
'94 R100GSPD (sold)
'97 R1100RSL (sold)
'81 R100 (sold)
post #9 of 23 Old Jun 10th, 2009, 12:30 pm

Ditto to Nick's.

GST, PST...and Safety, has to be done either way; local or imported. (No GST locally if from a private seller, mind you).
No Customs duty applicable; just the $200 bucks RIV, which includes the CTC inspection.
Bought mine when exchange was essentially par, or close to it.

2003 R1200CL Silver
post #10 of 23 Old Jul 7th, 2009, 7:16 pm

Just bought 07 LT from daytona BMW, saved 6k total after all was said and done,Even with the exchange. Had the shipping and all fees included in the deal. they provided a clean recall letter etc. I also had them do the next service and saved an additional 400.cdn and they thru in a free brake flush. The same 07 here is 20k all in.with less options. Frank in sales there could not have been more helpful. I completely support the canadian dealer network . however I need to protect my finanaces as no one else is....

I recomend buying from a BMW Dealer.
post #11 of 23 Old Jul 8th, 2009, 7:16 am

Congrats!

And, man, do I hear ya! I'm ready to move up a few years. Almost bought an '05 on eBay but the (private) seller couldn't get me a recall letter. No 'relationship' with a dealer, I guess. I have my '03 for sale on Kijiji and was going to take a chance and buy before mine sells, as the deal was awesome. Had to pass. It's not the money - it's the principle of it. Giving BMW-GC nearly $600 just to have them look at my VIN, then wait. NO WAY.
Could've had the '05 for 10K US but I passed.
My next import will be like yours - from a dealer. A dealer who hasn't been cowed by these guys. Many US dealers have been outright threatened into not issuing these letters.
Hmmmm....Daytona? That would make a nice ride home.

2003 R1200CL Silver
post #12 of 23 Old Dec 28th, 2009, 11:01 am

I bought my '00 LT on ebay for $4500 U.S. Thats 47 with the exchange. Before I bought it, I talked to the owner and asked him to obtain a recall letter from his local dealer as I was aware of the $500 fee. He drove down and picked it up for free and faxed it to me.
I also lucked out when the Canada customs forgot to charge me the 6% non-U.S. built vehicle tax. In all I saved a 1000 bucks just at the border. With the 4000 km drive to OHio and expenses,GST,PST Et Al, the bike owes me $6700. I can't fund a similar bike up here for less than 10 grand, and I would still have to pay the taxes on top of that.
My wife and I spent our 30th wedding anniversary on the road picking up the bike. It was a blast!!!

Chris
post #13 of 23 Old Dec 29th, 2009, 1:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadBaz
I also lucked out when the Canada customs forgot to charge me the 6% non-U.S. built vehicle tax.
Chris
Congrats on your new LT. Its now worth $10,000 in your area. Feels great doesn't it.

Customs do not charge the 6% vehicle duty tax for any imported motorcycle, because there are no Canadian motorcycle manufacturers to protect.

Nick
'05 R1200RT
'00 R1100S
'01 R1200C Phoenix
'04 R1200C Montauk
'95 R100R Classic

'84 R80RT (naked)(sold)
'94 R100GSPD (sold)
'97 R1100RSL (sold)
'81 R100 (sold)
post #14 of 23 Old Jan 1st, 2010, 5:37 pm

That makes sense!
Crap, I thought I fleeced "The Man"

I am sure they will claw it back somehow.
And yes it feels great. Now, about that there snow.........

Thanks for the info

Chris
post #15 of 23 Old Mar 9th, 2010, 5:59 pm

Hi,
I put a deposit down last weekend and I'm going to pick up the bike next week.
A couple of questions maybe those that have done it can help me with.
1/ Title/ Bill of sale sent to both U.S. and Canada or just US side.(72 hours ahead)
2/ Must they be notarized?
3/ Is there duty or not. I have had conflicting info. Has anyone ever been charged the 6.1 %?
4/ Here is my understanding of what is involved.
Please correct me where I am out of step or have missed something.
I don't want to mess this up!

a/ Get documents sent (notarized or not?) to border (s) 72 hours ahead
b/ Stop at U.S. with originals
c/ Proceed to Canadian side and declare you are importing a bike
d/ Go to office,Guard fills out form1, you pay RIV fee / G.S.T./ and Duty if any and head home
e/ Recall letter sent to R.I.V.. Now RIV sends you a form that you take with the bike to Canadian Tire.(3-10 day wait?)
f/ Canadian tire sends info back to RIV and you get an acceptance (Sticker?)
g/ At this point, assuming that you have a valid safety certificate you can license / plate the bike.(Or can you do this before receiving something back from RIV
I appreciate any help you can give me.
I've never attempted this before.
Thanks
Gary
post #16 of 23 Old Mar 9th, 2010, 6:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbuellertoo
Hi,
I put a deposit down last weekend and I'm going to pick up the bike next week.
A couple of questions maybe those that have done it can help me with.
1/ Title/ Bill of sale sent to both U.S. and Canada or just US side.(72 hours ahead)
Only to US side. They want originals. Not all US ports will accept a fax but might from a dealership. Best to call the US port of intended export and double-check.

2/ Must they be notarized?
No.

3/ Is there duty or not. I have had conflicting info. Has anyone ever been charged the 6.1 %?
There is NO DUTY on motorcycles, regardless of country of mfr. There IS duty on non-US-built cars, but not bikes.
4/ Here is my understanding of what is involved.
Please correct me where I am out of step or have missed something.
I don't want to mess this up!

a/ Get documents sent (notarized or not?) to border (s) 72 hours ahead
b/ Stop at U.S. with originals
c/ Proceed to Canadian side and declare you are importing a bike
d/ Go to office,Guard fills out form1, you pay RIV fee / G.S.T./ and Duty if any and head home
e/ Recall letter sent to R.I.V.. Now RIV sends you a form that you take with the bike to Canadian Tire.(3-10 day wait?)
f/ Canadian tire sends info back to RIV and you get an acceptance (Sticker?)
g/ At this point, assuming that you have a valid safety certificate you can license / plate the bike.(Or can you do this before receiving something back from RIV

RIV does a lot by email these days - very quick turn-around.
No, you can't register the bike before CTC inspection - but as soon as you pass and they stamp your form at CTC, you can plate it (if safetied etc.)
RIV now accepts proof of recall up to 30 days BEFORE import - ergo the sooner you can do this the better.
I appreciate any help you can give me.
I've never attempted this before.
Thanks
Gary
Enjoy your new ride!!

2003 R1200CL Silver
post #17 of 23 Old Mar 9th, 2010, 6:44 pm

Thanks very much Darkmeister.
I spoke to the RIV people today but wasn't even sure what to ask.
I will call the dealer (who shall remained unnamed to protect him from grief) to send the Recall clearance letter to the RIV people tomorrow.
I did get one interesting bit of info from U.S. Customs when I called them. The website states their hours at the Blue Water bridge as 8 - 4:30 M-F. He told me it was actually 8-8 M-Thursday and 8- 12 on Friday.Glad I found this out as my intinerary had me at the border around 2:00 p.m. on Friday afternoon.
Wish me luck!
post #18 of 23 Old Mar 9th, 2010, 7:08 pm

Quote:
Thanks very much Darkmeister.
I spoke to the RIV people today but wasn't even sure what to ask.
I will call the dealer (who shall remained unnamed to protect him from grief) to send the Recall clearance letter to the RIV people tomorrow.
I did get one interesting bit of info from U.S. Customs when I called them. The website states their hours at the Blue Water bridge as 8 - 4:30 M-F. He told me it was actually 8-8 M-Thursday and 8- 12 on Friday.Glad I found this out as my intinerary had me at the border around 2:00 p.m. on Friday afternoon.
Wish me luck!
What did you buy? LT,RT????

Garry

Follow my South America ride at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2011 K1600GTL RECEIVED April 30th, 2011 @ 1:30 pm
2012 RED KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 23 Old Mar 9th, 2010, 8:09 pm

2003 LTE. 26K miles, original owner, never tipped, Silver, big, bad and beautiful.
(And hopefully not a Lemon)
post #20 of 23 Old Mar 9th, 2010, 9:32 pm

On the RIV site, they tell you what to do before, and at the border.

If you have all the paperwork done and up to date, it goes smooth.

Let us know when you get the bike home!! ( take a few pictures and post them here!!).

Good luck!!
Bowdon.

Time to plan a trip to see how the girl handles!!!
post #21 of 23 Old Mar 19th, 2010, 5:38 pm

Well I got back from the states today and it could not have gone any smoother.
The U.S. customs took 15 minutes, (only because they stopped for 10 minutes for their morning meeting), 10 minutes at the Canadian side to pay the G.S.T. and fill out the Form1, got home at 1:30 and paid my RIV fee on line and by 4:30 I had the Inspection form e-mailed to me to take to Canadian Tire with the bike. I dropped the bike off at the B.M.W. dealership to get the Ontario Safety done, so as soon as it's ready I can go to Canadian Tire and from there to the License office. Amazing!!!
I got a Recall letter from the U.S. faxed to the RIV office last week so it was already on file, and all of the additional paperwork was faxed to the US customs at the same time.
I cannot believe how nervous I was over this , (for me anyway), simple procedure.
I've got my fingers crossed that it won't need anything to pass the safety and that I will soon be on the road.
Now if I could just find a way to get it on the centre stand without breaking my back!
Thanks for all of the advice..

2003 LTE ( Big Silver Cow)
2000 Buell S3T (Little Black Beauty)
198? Yamaha 650 (Sold )
1974 Honda CB 750 (wish I still had it!)
1972 Honda CB350 (Crashed)
197? Honda 50 Mini Bike (Long Gone)
post #22 of 23 Old Mar 20th, 2010, 8:56 am

Quote:
Well I got back from the states today and it could not have gone any smoother.
The U.S. customs took 15 minutes, (only because they stopped for 10 minutes for their morning meeting), 10 minutes at the Canadian side to pay the G.S.T. and fill out the Form1, got home at 1:30 and paid my RIV fee on line and by 4:30 I had the Inspection form e-mailed to me to take to Canadian Tire with the bike. I dropped the bike off at the B.M.W. dealership to get the Ontario Safety done, so as soon as it's ready I can go to Canadian Tire and from there to the License office. Amazing!!!
I got a Recall letter from the U.S. faxed to the RIV office last week so it was already on file, and all of the additional paperwork was faxed to the US customs at the same time.
I cannot believe how nervous I was over this , (for me anyway), simple procedure.
I've got my fingers crossed that it won't need anything to pass the safety and that I will soon be on the road.
Now if I could just find a way to get it on the centre stand without breaking my back!
Thanks for all of the advice..
Good to hear you had no problems. we need to get to ride together sometime.

Garry

Follow my South America ride at

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2011 K1600GTL RECEIVED April 30th, 2011 @ 1:30 pm
2012 RED KLR650

post #23 of 23 Old Jun 17th, 2010, 5:33 pm

Hi guys,

I just went through the whole process in April/May 2010 with a beautiful K1200LT and Hannigan sidecar. This is my third vehicle from the States (One car, two motorcycles). It is really quite simple and you will save between 35-50% of the cost of buying the same vehicle in Canada. I doubt I will ever buy in Canada again, until the prices come into line with the States.

BMW is sticky and unpleasant about the recall clearance letters, but RIV is very reasonable to deal with. Just ask the seller to verify with his dealer that there are no "outstanding campaigns"... the dealer gives him a little printout with the VIN and those magic words, and voila, send it to RIV and they're happy. There is no need whatsoever to pay the $500 extortion fee to BMW Canada. And if your USA seller (dealer or private) won't give you the letter, then just take your money and move on... because the next one will!

The guys at the border are very accustomed to Canadians bringing home vehicles, because it happens about a quarter of a million times a year. Plan to spend about 10-15 minutes at the US crossing and 30 minutes at the Canadian one. One tip, I find the lineups much longer at the big busy crossings... just find a nice quiet little one and you make their day by giving them something interesting to do. Then once you're home, it's off to Canadian Tire to check the VIN again... you will likely not even have time for a cup of coffee... and then a provincial inspection with your favourite independent dealer. Stop at the registration office on the way home, and you're completely done.

And remember, you're not just saving $10,000 or so.... that money is after-tax! So how much money do you have to earn on your T-4 to get the $10,000.... maybe $15,000-$20,000? Kind of makes the whole thing even more worthwhile. Of course, you have to take a few days to drive or ride the vehicle home... but for me, it's a nice vacation and you get to see some new country.

If you have any questions, there is an outfit called UCanImport.com that will walk you through everything... the website is free and if they really help you, you can sign up for $19.95 (or not as you wish).

So good luck and I hope this helps,
Allan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in