any suggestions for riding to Flin flon and thompson - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old May 23rd, 2009, 10:40 am Thread Starter

any suggestions for riding to Flin flon and thompson

I am riding from Nj to Flin Flon and Thompson and am looking for suggestions for places to stay . I particularly want to fish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old May 23rd, 2009, 6:34 pm

Re: any suggestions for riding to Flin flon and thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by njsoonerschooner
I am riding from Nj to Flin Flon and Thompson and am looking for suggestions for places to stay . I particularly want to fish
When are you doing this?

Garry

Follow my South America ride at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2011 K1600GTL RECEIVED April 30th, 2011 @ 1:30 pm
2012 RED KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 Old May 23rd, 2009, 7:26 pm

Smile Re: any suggestions for riding to Flin flon and thompson

You are going into some great fishing country but there are over 100,000 lakes to choose from and local knowledge is critical to success. If you haven't already done so go to the Manitoba Tourism site they list over 200 outfitters and their main lodges and locations are a good clue to some of the best fishing. Generally you will have little trouble finding accommodation but be prepared for fairly rustic facilities. When I travel in that area I don't bother with reservations. I go and inspect personally before deciding which one to choose for the night. This gives you the flexibility to stay where the fishing is good and you should not have much difficulty finding accommodations in the current economy. The highways, especially between Flin Flon and Thompson are often quite broken especially early in the year can be quite broken up by winter frost heaves. Always be on the lookout for wildlife. You will see deer, elk, moose, and bear and you don't want to be out on the road at night. Also there can be a large volume of truck traffic along the route especially if the mines are hauling supplies and equipment. Those guys are there to make time and are not know for consideration of other traffic when it comes to slinging rocks, etc.

If fishing is the main goal select a few of the fishing lodges along the route and call them up and ask questions about best fishing times and locations. Most of them are very honest and want you to have a successful trip even if you don't use their services.

Good luck. This is definitely the road less travelled but can be very rewarding and you will see a side of Manitoba that few Canadians even know exists.

Yiet
2007 R1200GSA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in