Thought my battery was cooked! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 1:11 pm Thread Starter

Thought my battery was cooked!

Well now that spring is here, I am looking forward to riding again. Started up the bike last week and it seemed to crank over slowly, but started ok. As I have the original battery, I was thinking that it may be at the end of it's useful life. I put on my charger and the battery came up to 100%. However I did some searching and found a place that offered the Odyssey PC 680 for $132.00 CDN, plus shipping. This was at Great Northern Battery. Local battery place wanted $181.00 for the same. I hope my battery lasts for a while yet but If it doesn't, I will order one from them.
Yikes, we had more of that white stuff this morning, but it is supposed to be nice by the weekend.
Cheers!!
Jim

1953 Ariel 350
1970 Norton Commando
1975 Honda Excel 250
1977 Kawasaki Z1000 LT
1985 Honda V65 Magna
1989 Yamaha Venture Royalle
2006 BMW K1200 LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 1:42 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Thought my battery was cooked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladiator99
Well now that spring is here, I am looking forward to riding again. Started up the bike last week and it seemed to crank over slowly, but started ok. As I have the original battery, I was thinking that it may be at the end of it's useful life. I put on my charger and the battery came up to 100%. However I did some searching and found a place that offered the Odyssey PC 680 for $132.00 CDN, plus shipping. This was at Great Northern Battery. Local battery place wanted $181.00 for the same. I hope my battery lasts for a while yet but If it doesn't, I will order one from them.
Yikes, we had more of that white stuff this morning, but it is supposed to be nice by the weekend.
Cheers!!
Jim
Jim,
There are a number of batteries that fit the LT and cost less. Just do a search "Battery" and you will find many comments/threads.

As I recall I have a Panasonic and it was less than $100 USD a year ago.

Beemerboneyard has Westco for less an $100 but not sure if they ship to Canada.

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 South Africa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #3 of 3 Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 3:38 pm Thread Starter

Re: Thought my battery was cooked!

There are a few less expensive batteries available in the US however with our dollar worth .80 cents US that would put a $100.00 battery at 125.00 CDN and shipping from the US is approx. $30.00 -$40.00. That's where it gets expensive. The Odyssey batteries are supposed to be longer lasting and better for vehicles that are not used all year, as in Canada. Hopefully my original gel battery will hold up for this year!!
Thanks for the info!!
Jim

1953 Ariel 350
1970 Norton Commando
1975 Honda Excel 250
1977 Kawasaki Z1000 LT
1985 Honda V65 Magna
1989 Yamaha Venture Royalle
2006 BMW K1200 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in