Gaspe' Peninsula - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jan 5th, 2009, 2:48 pm Thread Starter

Gaspe' Peninsula

Next Summer I plan on taking a ride to the Gaspe Peninsula. Does anyone have any riding experience there? Motels, campgrounds, restaurants, things to stop and see, speed traps etc.
Thanks Mick F
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jan 5th, 2009, 4:19 pm

Re: Gaspe' Peninsula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick-F
Next Summer I plan on taking a ride to the Gaspe Peninsula. Does anyone have any riding experience there? Motels, campgrounds, restaurants, things to stop and see, speed traps etc.
Thanks Mick F
Post this in the Canada section. We have people from Quebec that may help you.

Garry

Follow my South America ride at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2011 K1600GTL RECEIVED April 30th, 2011 @ 1:30 pm
2012 RED KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 Old Jan 5th, 2009, 5:09 pm

Mike,

We did this trip last year. It was one of the best trips we've taken. We ran into everything for weather including snow in july. 1400 miles in four days. We did the trip clockwise. This is the third time we've been there. The first on motorcycles. We stayed in B&B's w/o reservations. That was never a problem. The roads are perfect, people pleasant, and food was great. We cannot wait until we return.

We've been to Cape Breton four times and I think that I like the Gaspe' better. Make sure that you visit the inland portion of the area. There's a lot of wildlife to see and the mountains are pretty impressive. Hope you have a wonderful trip. If there is anything that I can help you with, just let me know.

gary

2009 K1300GT Blue
2003 K1200LT Titan Silver

2004 Suzuki DRZ 250 off road
1979 Honda CBX 1000 (6 cyl) Sounds like a Jet...

post #4 of 5 Old Jan 5th, 2009, 11:22 pm

Done a solo run in late May 2007. It's a great ride - even if mine was a bit of a long-distance rush (part of the fun, too): 2500 miles in 4-1/2 days.

Highly recommended, especially if you can afford a slower pace than mine.

I ran up from NJ via Maine into Campbellton, NB in an afternoon and a full day of riding. Make sure not to arrive there too late - by 8pm the town closes down and no decent food aside of fast is available. Once crossing through NB, watch out for a lot of construction zones: often plenty of soft gravel there.

From then on, a really picturesque route: I looped the whole peninsula in one day, it's much better if you do not have to. South shore is traversed on route 132, which goes through a lot of villages geared for summer visitors. May be busy in season.

Town of Gaspe is a bit anticlimatic, although there are a few restaurants and a great cafe in the shopping street above the harbor. I am a sucker for good cappucino.

From there, I've departed the shore and cut inland on route 198. For me, that was one of the highlights: beautiful rolling hills, winding road, fairly good pavement, no traffic. Pleasure!

198 reaches the St. Lawrence River near Cap Chat. The river is imposing, difficult to write about - one has to experience it. Check out the wind farm in Cap Chat, especially the vertical turbine, called the Eole. Intriguing.

I overnighted in Matane, getting ready to take the ferry. I stayed in the Comfort Inn, but now would recommend the Riotel there instead - much nicer and has a restaurant on site.

Next morning, I crossed on the ferry to Baie-Comeau. Drove some 20 miles north up to Manic 2, the first of the big powerplants on Quebec section of the Trans-Labrador Highway. (Got me hooked, by the way & I rode the whole Trans-Lab this past June).

On the '07 Gaspe trip, however, I backtracked out of the Trans-lab and continued to Quebec City to spend the night there. I love that place and always try to stay there if I am in the area.

Last day was a 9-hr haul back home on the Interstate.

Regarding places to stay: I usually go for hotels. Prefer the Choice Hotels chain in this area (Comfort Inns, etc) because their on-line reservation system is very efficient. Plus, they accept cancellations until 4pm; I can reserve in a few locales and then cancel as the day progresses and I see how my schedule develops.

Have fun on the trip!

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

Last edited by rdwalker; Jan 5th, 2009 at 11:27 pm.
post #5 of 5 Old Jan 16th, 2009, 5:42 pm Thread Starter

Thanks everyone,
Great info and photos on the Gaspe. It was 6 below here this morning and thinking about riding in the spring keeps me going. And as an added boost to get through the winter, BB King and Buddy Guy are playing togeather, on stage, next month at the new House of Blues in Boston. It will help get us through the winter.

Mick F

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in