Winter storage! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Sep 27th, 2008, 5:57 pm Thread Starter

Winter storage!

Will be putting my 06 KLT away for the winter soon and not sure if I should take out the battery to make it easier to charge up. Is there any thing that has to be reset once I put the battery back in in the spring? I know with some cars, once the battery is removed there are a whack of things that have to be reset! Just don't want a bunch of problems.
Thanks!!
Jim!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Sep 27th, 2008, 8:43 pm

Re: Winter storage!

I leave the battery in and just plug in a trickle charger into one of the bmw electrical outlets. I put the bike up on its center stand, make sure it is full of gas and add some fuel stabilizer and that is it.
post #3 of 7 Old Sep 28th, 2008, 7:57 am

+1 on the trickle charger, fuel stabilizer. I'd also start it up once or twice a month and let it run for a few minutes if you can.

Bob Brendel
05 LT, Light Metallic Yellow
99 LT, Totaled 3/09
97 HD Former Work Bike
88 GL1500
84 GL1200
S3 400 Kaw, too long ago to remember the year
175 Yamaha even longer

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night

Only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

George Orwell

post #4 of 7 Old Sep 28th, 2008, 8:15 am
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Jim I would make sure you plug the charger in the front accessory plug or directly to the battery. I had plug it in the rear plug and it does not work unless the bike is on.

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #5 of 7 Old Sep 28th, 2008, 1:53 pm Thread Starter

Yes, I think I'll just leave the battery in the bike and attach the charger directly to the battery. As I have another 2 vehicles in storage, the charger can be moved to the other batteries easily. The charger is also a tender which can be left on a battery indefinately without overcharging. No need to pull out any of the batteries!
Thanks,
Jim!!
post #6 of 7 Old Nov 6th, 2008, 6:35 pm

Getting back to the original question,
I do not have the luxury of a plug in nearby to use a charger or tender on battery.. That being said, the only option I have is to take the battery out for winter storage. Will I be presented new challenges via the computer system, ie; resetting items this spring? Also, anyone have a good "go to" place for a bike cover? I live in a condo building with underground parking, motorcycles are in one corner of the garage, no electricity. Minnesota winter is just around the corner- Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 Old Nov 6th, 2008, 8:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by stapleford
Getting back to the original question,
I do not have the luxury of a plug in nearby to use a charger or tender on battery.. That being said, the only option I have is to take the battery out for winter storage. Will I be presented new challenges via the computer system, ie; resetting items this spring? Also, anyone have a good "go to" place for a bike cover? I live in a condo building with underground parking, motorcycles are in one corner of the garage, no electricity. Minnesota winter is just around the corner- Thanks.
Yes, same situation with me. I live in a high rise condo building with underground parking. Fuel stabilizer is added to a full tank. I remove the battery and put it on the charger about once a month to keep it fresh until it goes back into the bike in the spring. I don't start the bike at all during the storage period to cut down on condensation build-up. For a cover I use the BMW full cover with the built-in slots for the antennas.

After installing the fully charged battery in the spring, turn the ignition to "ON" then twist the throttle two or three times completely open and closed without starting the engine. Then turn the ignition to "OFF". This sets the fuel injection computer. You may now start the engine. I have forgotten to do this step on a couple of occasions but apparently the computer will "learn" your riding habits and eventually set itself accordingly.

I also have the fluids changed and the bike checked over before the first ride in the spring.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in