$500 BMW import fee eliminated - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Aug 24th, 2008, 8:53 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

$500 BMW import fee eliminated

I recently purchased an 06' K1200LT in the US. I expected to pay the BMW $500 fee and get an inspection at a BMW dealership. I was told at the Canadian Boarder that this fee has been eliminated. When I got home, I called BMW Canada and they said " due to changes in the market they are no longer collecting the fee." If the Canadian Boarder person had not told me, I would have visited a dealership and paid the fee. Actually, I called a canadian dealership a couple of days before I crossed the boarder and they still wanted me to pay the fee.
Good luck with your purchases,
Kelly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Aug 24th, 2008, 11:47 pm

Re: $500 BMW import fee eliminated

I also bought an 06 LT in the US a few months ago and I was required to pay the $500.00 extortion fee. There is currently a class action suit against Mercedes, and BMW over this issue. Many of the Canadian automakers have dropped their prices to encourage Canadians to shop at home, however there is still a significant difference in prices. I am glad to hear that this fee is eliminated. I am going to call BMW and see if I can get back my $500.00.
Hope you got a good buy.
Enjoy your ride.
Jim
post #3 of 18 Old Aug 25th, 2008, 7:10 am

But...are they still requiring the BS "inspection" by a dealer, even if free now? Think I'll look into that...

post #4 of 18 Old Aug 26th, 2008, 5:02 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

The only inspection I had to get was an RIV inspection for Canadian Boarder Services. Canadian Tire is where this is done. You don't have to go to the dealer.
Good luck,
Kelly
post #5 of 18 Old Aug 26th, 2008, 6:45 pm

Unfortunately that is not true. I called BMW Canada today and they advised that yes, there is still a $500.00 extortion fee for the recall letter, however they no longer charge $300.00 for an admissability letter. The admissability letter is for automobiles only. I did not have to pay that when bringing over my bike.
Take Care!
Jim.
post #6 of 18 Old Aug 26th, 2008, 9:41 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

I can only base my statement on my experience. I did not have to pay the fee. I did get a letter from a BMW dealership in the USA saying that there was on recalls on the bike and warranty work was done. I guess it depends on who you talk to at BMW Canada because I was told by BMW Canada that this fee was discontinued due to changes in the market. I was also told that the warranty was international and accepted in the USA, Canada, etc. No transfers needed. I had no problem with Canada Boarder services.
Kelly
post #7 of 18 Old Aug 27th, 2008, 7:03 am

Ah - there it is: you got a letter from the dealership, one that was accepted by the asshats at RIV. That explains everything. Had you had to get the letter in Canada, they'd still zing you with the BS fee and "inspection" (a $500 glance at the VIN plate).
Your US dealer sounds awesome (letter, warranty, etc,). US dealers were ordered at the pain of deathe NOT to issue those letters.
post #8 of 18 Old Aug 27th, 2008, 4:13 pm

Wow is all I can say! You lucked out. I called three US BMW dealers to try and get a letter and each one told me that under no circumstances are they allowed to give Canadians a recall letter. They did look up the bike's history after I gave them the VIN # and told me there were no open campaigns on my bike, (dealer lingo for no recalls). I hope they do drop this rediculous extortion fee.
Take care and enjoy your new ride!
Jim
post #9 of 18 Old Sep 5th, 2008, 11:07 pm

Are you comparing a new bike to his used 2006 model?
post #10 of 18 Old Sep 9th, 2008, 1:56 pm

I also purchased an 06 KLT with under 5000mi. in the US. I had to pay the $500.00 inspection recall fee to a Canadian dealer. He took all of 10 minutes to print out the required papers. Less that 2 minutes looking at my bike for the vin #. As I said, I had called 3 different dealers in the Washington/ Oregon area to get a recall letter and was told that they could not print off a letter for me. If you found a dealer willing to print out a recall letter for you then you lucked out. Glad to hear that, however I don't think that BMW Canada has changed their policy yet.
Take care.
Jim
post #11 of 18 Old Nov 4th, 2008, 11:23 am

Hi all;

I am purchasing a 2005 LT from the US and would be picking up the bike middle of November.

I was faxed a paper that states" Warrenty Vehicle Inquiry" is this what they call "Recall Clearence Letter"??

Does anyone have a copy of the letter that I could see if it matches the one I have?

If its not the same, I guess I would have to get one from BMW Canada for the $500.00 Can!!!

PM me.
Bowdon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladiator99
I also purchased an 06 KLT with under 5000mi. in the US. I had to pay the $500.00 inspection recall fee to a Canadian dealer. He took all of 10 minutes to print out the required papers. Less that 2 minutes looking at my bike for the vin #. As I said, I had called 3 different dealers in the Washington/ Oregon area to get a recall letter and was told that they could not print off a letter for me. If you found a dealer willing to print out a recall letter for you then you lucked out. Glad to hear that, however I don't think that BMW Canada has changed their policy yet.
Take care.
Jim
post #12 of 18 Old Nov 4th, 2008, 4:25 pm

Sounds like the right form... In any case, if it mentions recalls/no open recalls yada-yada, fax it to RIV and fight them. No reason for them not to accept the info, as long as it meets other criteria (bike VIN, BMW letterhead, etc.)
post #13 of 18 Old Nov 4th, 2008, 4:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMeister
Sounds like the right form... In any case, if it mentions recalls/no open recalls yada-yada, fax it to RIV and fight them. No reason for them not to accept the info, as long as it meets other criteria (bike VIN, BMW letterhead, etc.)
I just found mine and that's exactly what it's called.

Yer'in like flint...
post #14 of 18 Old Nov 4th, 2008, 5:07 pm

Exclamation Re: $500 BMW import fee eliminated

Darkmeister;

Mine doen not have a BMW logo, but it does say under the Warrenty Vehicle Inquiry

This confidential document is not to be distributed.....................
2008 BMW of North America LLC

Is this what yours says??

I don't know what the "recall clearance letter" looks like to compare with the one I have.

Regards,
Bowdon

Quote:
I just found mine and that's exactly what it's called.

Yer'in like flint...
post #15 of 18 Old Nov 6th, 2008, 7:08 am

That's exactly what it says. The logo applies to other formats, such as a "letter". You have what you need - fax it to RIV ASAP, because they won't send you an inspection request before they have the recall info.
post #16 of 18 Old Nov 6th, 2008, 8:27 am

Darkmeister;

I thought I had to wait till I get to the border to fax them these sheets ( I have to pay the fee first) is this not correct? I will call and fax them the papers to see what they say about this.

Regards,
Bowdon

Quote:
That's exactly what it says. The logo applies to other formats, such as a "letter". You have what you need - fax it to RIV ASAP, because they won't send you an inspection request before they have the recall info.
post #17 of 18 Old Nov 6th, 2008, 9:36 am

My bad. I assumed you'd already brought the bike in.
Yes...RIV needs to open a file on you, which won't happen till you get to the border.
Maybe you could submit the form at the time of import.
Good luck! And, whoever gave you the warranty/recall info, is worth their weight in gold!!!
post #18 of 18 Old Nov 6th, 2008, 11:17 am

Import the bike.
Pay the GST at border. Fill out Vehicle Import Form-Form 1
Pay the RIV fee on line, they will send you an e-mail confirming your case.
After 5 or 6 days they will send you a letter stating that they have not received the recall clearance. They supply a dedicated fax number for recall service.
Fax the Warranty Vehicle Inquiry form, and the work order showing any recall work done if you have it.
They will e-mail their Vehicle Inspection Form.
Take this forms and form 1 to a Canadian Tire, they will inspect, basically write down GVW, fill out, fax and stamp forms.
Get safety check if required.
Take all your forms to licence office, probably pay PST, plate fees.
Enjoy you new ride!

Unfortunately I had my bike at the BMW dealer doing the $500 inspection when they requested the recall form. I faxed the US dealer forms that I had, as the canadian dealer said it would be 20 business days to get the letter from BMW Canada. I had all the required forms when I picked the bike, completed the process that day. I still had to pay the $565. PST and GST to the dealer.

I imported the expecting to pay the $500. They were right about the 20 business days to get the canadian form, but they did not charge me any extra for storing it for me. Funny it only took the US dealer a couple of minutes to print off the form.

Nick

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in