• 2 Post By CWRoady
  • 1 Post By zippy_gg
  • 1 Post By Patric
  • 1 Post By zippy_gg
  • 1 Post By Temesvar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Jan 11th, 2018, 2:30 pm Thread Starter

Nova Scotia and radar detectors

Planning a trip to Nova Scotia in late August. My bike has a V1 radar detector mounted on a shelf.
Is this allowed there?
Riding through Virginia, I will have the same challenge but only for one day as opposed to 5-6 days through Canada.
Any advice?

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by zippy_gg; Jan 11th, 2018 at 2:53 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Jan 11th, 2018, 2:39 pm

Re: Nova Scotia and radar detectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg View Post
Planning a trip to Nova Scotia in late August. My bike has a V1 radar detector mounted on a shelf.

Is this allowed there?

Riding through Virginia, I will have the same challenge but only for one day a opposed to 5-6 days through Canada.

Any advice?

For Virgina only, unplug the unit (obviously if you can). The law says “use” which means operate. Pull the plug open the back of the unit and stuff it somewhere. You are unlikely to get stopped for 2 reasons... A radar detector detector will not see you (yes, we sneaky popo have them), and (2), with out of state plates and an unplugged unit, no LEO in his right mind would ticket you because the judge would not only dismiss it, the judge would likely embarrass the officer/trooper/deputy in court.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #3 of 20 Old Jan 11th, 2018, 2:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpilot View Post
For Virgina only, unplug the unit (obviously if you can). The law says “use” which means operate. Pull the plug open the back of the unit and stuff it somewhere. You are unlikely to get stopped for 2 reasons... A radar detector detector will not see you (yes, we sneaky popo have them), and (2), with out of state plates and an unplugged unit, no LEO in his right mind would ticket you because the judge would not only dismiss it, the judge would likely embarrass the officer/trooper/deputy in court.

Family lives in VA and yes, they DO have radar detector detectors. If you fail to disable it and get pulled over, they will take it from you as well as ticket you. Ask me how I know

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 20 Old Jan 11th, 2018, 5:04 pm
Enjoy The Ride

In VA if they find it they will confiscate it even if it is not plugged in.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #5 of 20 Old Jan 11th, 2018, 8:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman View Post
In VA if they find it they will confiscate it even if it is not plugged in.

Not supposed to based on a recent court decision.

post #6 of 20 Old Jan 11th, 2018, 11:21 pm

Quote:
Is this allowed there?
Riding through Virginia, I will have the same challenge but only for one day as opposed to 5-6 days through Canada.
Any advice?
Radar detectors are illegal in most provinces of Canada except the western provinces.
Not sure which but in some provinces, the simple possession is also illegal.
post #7 of 20 Old Jan 13th, 2018, 8:08 am

I don't know about other provinces but here in Ontario you are subject to seizure plus a $200 or so fine, my brother-in-law had his seized but because he did not argue about it the officer did not ticket him. Just possessing it would result in seizure but why would the police be aware of it so if it is in you luggage I can't see the danger of you losing it would be very high. Years ago when radar detectors where more popular here the police use to sit on bridges and turn the radar on then a second cruiser would stop cars that stepped on the brakes at that moment.

Gerhard

post #8 of 20 Old Jan 15th, 2018, 8:20 pm

Garage

You are on vacation. You are cruising, and want to absorb as much view as you can.
So why have the radar detector with you, and not obey the law? Are you in a hurry,
as is the case at home? Relax, forget the time, and enjoy your ride! Nova Scotia is nice
and peaceful. Not much traffic, but watch for the winds as you enter the province, and
fog in Halifax. Enjoy your trip!
Patric, mr1150gs and PMitchell like this.
post #9 of 20 Old Sep 11th, 2018, 11:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temesvar View Post
You are on vacation. You are cruising, and want to absorb as much view as you can.
So why have the radar detector with you, and not obey the law? Are you in a hurry,
as is the case at home? Relax, forget the time, and enjoy your ride! Nova Scotia is nice
and peaceful. Not much traffic, but watch for the winds as you enter the province, and
fog in Halifax. Enjoy your trip!
I used to wonder how riding buddies could enjoy riding dirt bikes with me that never wanted to ride the tough stuff or turn the throttle hard, etc. Finally dawned on me that however they enjoy riding is up to them, not me .... who am I to think enjoyable riding for them is only at the pace or on the terrain I enjoy. Ride your own ride ... if you enjoy riding at a slower pace that is good, if someone else enjoys their ride at a different pace than you, that is fine as well.

The question was about the legality of possessing a radar detector and I think the OP is to be commended for attempting to educate himself regarding the law in your fine Country before visiting. You ask why "not obey the law" ... I think that is exactly what he was attempting to do by asking the question.
zippy_gg and Poco183 like this.

Chris

Ain't nothin like a friend who can tell you you're just pissin in the wind - Neil Young
2015 BMW R1200RT
1973 BMW R75/5
Yard Art - 1968 Sachs 90 / 1968 Hodaka Ace 90
SCBMWRC

post #10 of 20 Old Sep 11th, 2018, 11:24 am

Garage

Zero knowledge about your question but I'd like to wish you a great ride. A long time ago (before I met them) a group of my riding buddies when to Eastern Canada, they were still raving about the ride years later. Major jealousy. Given your location I'm sure you will be ready for rain, just be ready for a little lower temps than Georgia

Well, to be Frank,

I'd have to change my screen name
post #11 of 20 Old Sep 12th, 2018, 11:11 am Thread Starter

Unfortunately the trip had to be cancelled...
I lieu of it I may attempt a couple of IBA rides once the big storm is over.
Thank you for all the replies, and yes I was inquiring about the laws in Canada, and not planning on speeding; my V1 is semi permanently mounted on the bike and it would be a pill to take it off when entering "enemy" territory only to put it back on when exiting.
Patric likes this.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #12 of 20 Old Sep 12th, 2018, 2:06 pm

Quote:
Does your new deck float??

Seriously, I hope you stay dry!

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #13 of 20 Old Sep 12th, 2018, 2:31 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
my V1 is semi permanently mounted on the bike and it would be a pill to take it off when entering "enemy" territory only to put it back on when exiting
Maybe you could make a cover to put over it . Kind of like the way us fat guys were Hawaii'n shirts...If you can't hide it, decorate it
zippy_gg likes this.

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #14 of 20 Old Sep 12th, 2018, 5:56 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzee View Post
Does your new deck float??

Seriously, I hope you stay dry!
So far so good, and the rain has not hit yet.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #15 of 20 Old Sep 12th, 2018, 5:58 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patric View Post
Maybe you could make a cover to put over it . Kind of like the way us fat guys were Hawaii'n shirts...If you can't hide it, decorate it
Having had roadside conversations with the authorities I develop the technique of nonchalantly putting my gloves on the shelf where the V1 lives...
Patric likes this.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #16 of 20 Old Sep 13th, 2018, 1:34 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWRoady View Post
The question was about the legality of possessing a radar detector and I think the OP is to be commended for attempting to educate himself regarding the law in your fine Country before visiting. You ask why "not obey the law" ... I think that is exactly what he was attempting to do by asking the question.
My friend, if one intends to obey the law, needs no radar detector! If the law allows you to use a radar detector, that means
the law allows you to brake the law as long as you don't get caught! So, I don't see your point. As I mentioned, by riding with
the speed limit, you get the chance to see more of the surroundings. It is all new, you are on vacation, so take your time and
enjoy it! Different when you are at home, know every street, every tree and every bump on the road. That is where one may
need a radar detector...

2008 RT Biarritz Blue
2007 Triumph Sprint ST(sold)
memories:
1986 Yamaha FJ 1200
1985 Yamaha FJ 1100
1983 Yamaha XJ 900
post #17 of 20 Old Sep 13th, 2018, 1:55 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

[B][/B]But "Officer Dave"...this ain't no radar detector...it lets me know I'm approaching a grocery store in time to slow down put on my signal and turn in without getting rear-ended!!! (Worth a try?)

Never declare a cherished memory as "the best day of my life"...it will forever diminish the possibility for "Tomorrow" being the "Best Day!"

post #18 of 20 Old Sep 13th, 2018, 6:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temesvar View Post
My friend, if one intends to obey the law, needs no radar detector! If the law allows you to use a radar detector, that means
the law allows you to brake the law as long as you don't get caught! So, I don't see your point. As I mentioned, by riding with
the speed limit, you get the chance to see more of the surroundings. It is all new, you are on vacation, so take your time and
enjoy it! Different when you are at home, know every street, every tree and every bump on the road. That is where one may
need a radar detector...
My point is this ... it is legal in 49 of 50 states down here to use one, and many folks have them ... and they aren’t cheap. It sounds like mere possession of one in Canada puts you at risk of losing an expensive electronic item as well as a ticket (that probably isn’t cheap either). Asking fellow riders in another country what the laws are with regards to possession of a radar detector seems like a reasonable question to me.

When I rode up into Canada last summer, I left behind several items I normally carry on my bike trips in the States, to avoid getting on the wrong side of the law. I have no reason not to believe this gentleman was doing the same.

Chris

Ain't nothin like a friend who can tell you you're just pissin in the wind - Neil Young
2015 BMW R1200RT
1973 BMW R75/5
Yard Art - 1968 Sachs 90 / 1968 Hodaka Ace 90
SCBMWRC

post #19 of 20 Old Sep 14th, 2018, 12:45 pm

Garage

Quote:
Thank you for all the replies, and yes I was inquiring about the laws in Canada, and not planning on speeding; my V1 is semi permanently mounted on the bike and it would be a pill to take it off when entering "enemy" territory only to put it back on when exiting.
To bad you missed a nice trip, hopefully will get the chance next year. Am sure you will enjoy it. And no, we are not "enemy" territory just because radar detectors and guns are not legal. And by the way, the police officers have common sense, if you are polite with them, as you expect anyone else to be with you: If you just disconnect the detector, making it not functional, no officer will bother you. Most likely nobody will even stop you, unless you deserve it.

2008 RT Biarritz Blue
memories:
1986 Yamaha FJ 1200
1985 Yamaha FJ 1100
1983 Yamaha XJ 900
post #20 of 20 Old Sep 14th, 2018, 1:05 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWRoady View Post
My point is this ... it is legal in 49 of 50 states down here to use one, and many folks have them ... and they aren’t cheap. It sounds like mere possession of one in Canada puts you at risk of losing an expensive electronic item as well as a ticket (that probably isn’t cheap either). Asking fellow riders in another country what the laws are with regards to possession of a radar detector seems like a reasonable question to me.

When I rode up into Canada last summer, I left behind several items I normally carry on my bike trips in the States, to avoid getting on the wrong side of the law. I have no reason not to believe this gentleman was doing the same.
Your point is right, and tend to believe so is mine. I have had several trips in US and never had to leave anything behind, that I usually carry with me, other than
the colorful money that we have!
Patric likes this.

2008 RT Biarritz Blue
memories:
1986 Yamaha FJ 1200
1985 Yamaha FJ 1100
1983 Yamaha XJ 900

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in