Oh my... it came! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Nov 24th, 2015, 1:03 pm Thread Starter

Oh my... it came!

Well brothers, it is here!

Old man winter has raised his wrinkled up head and decided that we have had waaay too much fun riding our little bikes around!

It is possible that the 2015 riding season is officially over, save an Indian Summer spectacular that may, but most likely not, come from the Alberta highlands! But from what I see in the forecast out west, my riding season is over for this year!

It has been an awesome year however! I travelled well over 15,000 kms on my, new to me, R1200RT and loved every moment. From Ontario to Quebec, Maine, Massachusetts, Washington, up to Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Manitoba and many,many places in between.

Hopefully next year we can start off with the Canon Ball run, then maybe, just maybe, California! But Florida for sure anyway.

Until then, my summer fling is over until I see her again in 6 or 7 mths! That seems so far away, yet hopefully will feel like tomorrow soon!

What are your 2016 riding plans? Anyone headed anywhere exciting in particular, for any specific reason or just for the ride?

Has anyone made the journey from Ontario to California? Any tips, tricks or favorite rides to make sure to get too?

Let's talk and dream about our coming season! Keep this little Canadian board alive!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1448387892270.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	94481  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Nov 26th, 2015, 11:05 pm Thread Starter

Re: Oh my... it came!

Wow, I guess, again, I am the only person that reads these Canadian posts! So, back to answering myself!!

Well I was planning this trip to Florida for next year. I have driven it many times by car and just thought it would be nice to do it by RT this time! I had thought of riding to the Dragon's Tail at Deals Gap and then try to stay on the off hwy routes for as long as I can, or can take!

By car I took the off hwy route from Montana to Yellowstone National Park. It was nice, but, well... long! *smirk* Beautiful drive through some very majestic scenery, and the people were fantastic, but after some time it was just tiring. Zig this way, Zag that way. Back and forth, back and forth. Gawd!
Like I said, it was nice, but sometimes it was long. So we will see how it goes. I have not mapped it out yet, but soon!

post #3 of 10 Old Nov 27th, 2015, 7:49 pm

Next year I will probably do the Gaspe, PQ, Newfoundland and most of the Maritimes. Staying away from the US unless the Cdn dollar improves. If I have time may head out to Ontario but have no plans where.

2012 K1600GT - Red
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 R1200RT
2000K1200LTC - Champagne
1984 Yamaha Venture
1975 Honda 750
1973 Honda 750

post #4 of 10 Old Nov 28th, 2015, 9:24 pm Thread Starter

I hear you about the dollar. Fortunately the RT does drink a lot of fuel, so that is a big plus.

I was up in your area in the summer, well Maine being the closest spot I guess!

You will enjoy Gaspe, Quebec is a really nice place to ride. The roads are almost perfect in most areas. People are great as well, in particular in Montreal!

post #5 of 10 Old Dec 17th, 2015, 10:42 am

Your avi does not say where in are from. I pick up my new RT in March and am planning several trips with a fellow Beemer rider to Gettysburg in May, the BMW rally in Hamburg in July and Bmw days at Mosport in Aug! Lots of little day trips in between those rides! Gonna be a long winter!
post #6 of 10 Old Dec 23rd, 2015, 9:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRUSTYBEEMER View Post
Your avi does not say where in are from. I pick up my new RT in March and am planning several trips with a fellow Beemer rider to Gettysburg in May, the BMW rally in Hamburg in July and Bmw days at Mosport in Aug! Lots of little day trips in between those rides! Gonna be a long winter!
I went through Pembroke on my way out west last summer. Met a guy at Tim Hortons riding a pale blue RT. If I get time I may go up that way next summer then run down to Trenton for the Loonie Tic Ralley. I was stationed there twice and know lots people. I will probably go through NY State and Vermont, Maine on my way home.

2012 K1600GT - Red
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 R1200RT
2000K1200LTC - Champagne
1984 Yamaha Venture
1975 Honda 750
1973 Honda 750
post #7 of 10 Old Dec 23rd, 2015, 5:18 pm

What unit were you with? I was 8CH and RCD for 25 years and have friends in the Fredericton/Oromocto area!
post #8 of 10 Old Dec 30th, 2015, 8:29 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Wow... that sounds awesome!

The weather gawds were nice to me here. I was actually able to ride on Christmas day in Northern Ontario! It was a balmy 7 degrees out but I absolutely loved it!

Mind you I was almost killed by a grandma, about 100 meters from my driveway when she drove through a stop sign and her bumper almost touched my leg! She yelled, "I didn't see you..." to which I responded, " Did you see the stop sign?" (Obviously the hi-rez jacket I wear blinded her!)

But still, what a thrill to be riding in December here at home. Unfortunately, old man winter returned two days later and we now have 20cm of snow with more on the way. But it was fun while it lasted! And let's face it, only another 8 - 10 wks before I can ride again!

In the next few years I am planning on going back to Europe and renting a bike and do some fantastic riding there as well. California is calling me now though, so I want to see more of Canada and the USA, but it will happen.

I hope everyone received a little surprise for their bikes this Christmas and I hope, for those of you that can ride, you have a new year's ride for all of us wishing we still could ride as well!

Keep safe!

post #9 of 10 Old Jan 4th, 2016, 6:29 am

Quote:
What unit were you with? I was 8CH and RCD for 25 years and have friends in the Fredericton/Oromocto area!
I was a Loadmaster on the C-130 Hercules for quite awhile. Worked in 2 AMU Trenton in my early years and Base Traffic in Gagetown a couple of years then went back to Trenton during the Somalia an Bosnia crisis.

2012 K1600GT - Red

2011 R1200RT
2000K1200LTC - Champagne
1984 Yamaha Venture
1975 Honda 750
1973 Honda 750
post #10 of 10 Old Jan 4th, 2016, 10:01 am

Right on! If you find yourself passing through the Pembroke/Petawawa area, give me a buzz and we can do coffee, swap war stories, talk bikes etc!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in