Touring Nova Scotia in Aug. '16 - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By B1Sherm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Nov 18th, 2015, 1:39 pm Thread Starter

Touring Nova Scotia in Aug. '16

I'm riding from Cleveland, OH to Nova Scotia next August. I plan on riding about 8 hours / day to get there and spend a couple weeks there. If you know of rider friendly campgrounds along the way, or in NS, please reply! Ralph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Nov 18th, 2015, 9:46 pm

Re: Touring Nova Scotia in Aug. '16

I don't know of any campground but sure sounds like a good time. Hope you have a great time.
post #3 of 18 Old Nov 19th, 2015, 7:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphStreza View Post
I'm riding from Cleveland, OH to Nova Scotia next August. I plan on riding about 8 hours / day to get there and spend a couple weeks there. If you know of rider friendly campgrounds along the way, or in NS, please reply! Ralph
Here's a link to a motorcycle tour guide of N.S., as well as the other Atlantic Provinces. Hope it helps. And if you google "touring N.S. on motorcycle" it will give you a number of good websites with info. Cabot trail is great ride on a bike. Also, google "camping in Nova Scotia" and that gives a lot of sites with good info. The motorcycle specific sites may not be campground specific, but the camping sites give more details. Have a great trip.

Motorcycle Tour Guide Nova Scotia - Motorcycle touring Canada - Motorcycle travel Nova Scotia - Motorbike tours Nova Scotia - Motorbike travel Canada - Biker art - Motorcycle art - Biker paintings - Motorcycle paintings - Discount Travel Card - 10% D

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 2wheeljunkie; Nov 19th, 2015 at 7:10 am.

post #4 of 18 Old Nov 19th, 2015, 11:56 am Thread Starter

Thank you SD!
post #5 of 18 Old Nov 19th, 2015, 5:21 pm

Garage

Hi there.

I toured NS this past summer with my wife. We live in Michigan and travelled through Canada and crossed back in at Niagara Falls, then across Vermont, Maine, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia.

We like to ride the secondary roads and enjoy the scenery. We have several trips out west under our belt and loved every one of them. The NS trip had been on our list for a few years and finally took off this summer.

All of the eastern states are beautiful for riding, but the Canadain secondary roads were really rough (IMO). We didn't enjoy the trip as much as we thought and ended up leaving NS 4 days early to spend the time in Bar Harbor, ME.

Maine and the coast are great places to ride. Plan to spend some money though, this trip cost me 2x as much as our trips out west.

Good luck and keep us posted on your trip.

H. Keith Murray

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Troy, Michigan 48085
IBA #48803
MOA #218870
TCD #

2016 BMW R1200 GS Adventure - White (Thumper)
SOLD - 2014 BMW R1200RT - Quartz Blue (RockeT)
SOLD - 2007 Honda GL1800 ABS/Nav - Platinum (RV)
SOLD - 2014 Yamaha FZ09 - Volunteer Orange (Vol)
SOLD - 2002 K1200LT - Pacific Blue (Slick)
SOLD - 2005 HD Road King Classic - Chopper Blue & Sunglo Blue (Boss)
SOLD - 2001 Kawasaki Concours - Sonic Blue (Conc)
SOLD - 2001 Kawasaki ZXR1200R - Team Green (Zip)
post #6 of 18 Old Nov 20th, 2015, 7:33 am

All of the eastern states are beautiful for riding, but the Canadain secondary roads were really rough (IMO). We didn't enjoy the trip as much as we thought and ended up leaving NS 4 days early to spend the time in Bar Harbor, ME.

Maine and the coast are great places to ride. Plan to spend some money though, this trip cost me 2x as much as our trips out west.

Yep, a lot of the back roads here are a bit rough. The government waste what little money they have, so nothing left for the roads. But, there are still plenty of very good places to ride. I do a lot of riding in Maine since I live close to the border, and their roads are very good. There are savings with the exchange on the dollar, USA $ is worth about $1.25 to the Canadian one right now.

Last edited by 2wheeljunkie; Nov 20th, 2015 at 7:50 am.
post #7 of 18 Old May 10th, 2016, 5:51 pm

I should be entering NS early June after Rolling Thunder '16 in DC. Going to loop around the Province. including Cape Breton Island then head across the "bridge" to Prince Edward Island. I have been told that mosquitoes are plentiful. I bought an "Insight Guide" book for general tourist stuff. Other riders suggest a good rain suit too. Other recommendations would be appreciated but will input some information for you when I get there and tour. I do plan to sample Malpeque Bay oysters and compare their taste to other oysters I have eaten.
post #8 of 18 Old May 11th, 2016, 7:22 am

If you are coming back from P.E.I. (the island) via the Confederation Bridge, you will be in New Brunswick and not too far up the coast to Cape Pele which has a few great seafood places (Chez Camille's) if you love fried clams. A bit further up the coast is Shediac, the lobster capital of the world and a great beach at Parlee Beech. You can continue to Saint John, a lot of history and a great city, and either head to Maine by going down the Fundy coast to Calis Maine, or going inland to Fredericton and on to Maine crossing at Houlton. Lots to see in all 3 of the Maritime provinces, don't restrict it to just Nova Scotia.

post #9 of 18 Old May 11th, 2016, 4:25 pm

Thanks! I marked my map and added the locations to my "must see" list. One of my must visit towns it Tatamagouche, the name must mean something..Ey! Is Newfoundland worth the ferry ride? I am thinking about going to Miquelon Fr just to get my pass port stamped. I am ex-Navy and like to use the naval terminology..."No Bulls***!" I rode my GTLE to France. I just refuse to tell my buddies that I took a "fairy" ride.
post #10 of 18 Old May 11th, 2016, 5:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1Sherm View Post
Thanks! I marked my map and added the locations to my "must see" list. One of my must visit towns it Tatamagouche, the name must mean something..Ey! Is Newfoundland worth the ferry ride? I am thinking about going to Miquelon Fr just to get my pass port stamped. I am ex-Navy and like to use the naval terminology..."No Bulls***!" I rode my GTLE to France. I just refuse to tell my buddies that I took a "fairy" ride.
Tatamagouche derives its name from the native Mi'kmaq term Takǔmegoochk, roughly translated as "extending across". I am not sure what is there, but it is a pretty drive around some of the coast. Not sure of the roads. Google it and there are some things it talks about that may be worth seeing.

Newfoundland is worth going to, but you would need at least 1 week and preferably two. The ferry ride takes quite awhile, depending on which port you go to. I have never been there on a bike, but my brother in law and my sister and some other couples went 5 or 6 years ago, they loved it. I could only go as far as Cape Breton as I only had 3 days. You can't ride at night or even at dusk is a risk, because of all the moose. In the day you have to be on the lookout as well. Only time I was in Nfld was in 1974. Went over for a New Year's party at a friend of mine's. The Newfies sure know how to bring in the New Year...start at one end of the street, and keep going... a party at each house, then the party moves on to the next one, and so on. We Couldn't get back to the mainland for two weeks due to snow, snow. snow...and winds. My Newfie buddy got sea sick coming back, but I toughed it out. Anyway, it is well worth a trip sometime, probably much nicer in the summer. I never saw a thing on my visit. Arrived in the night in a blinding snowstorm, took a bus to Cornerbrook, stayed two weeks, snowed every day. Finally left before dawn to make the ferry and still in a snowstorm, got to the ferry and it was stuck in port for 2 days due to high winds. Luckily we had reservations so they let us on and fed us, but they weren't supplying the Newfie Screech free, unfortunately.

post #11 of 18 Old May 11th, 2016, 9:55 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I should be entering NS early June after Rolling Thunder '16 in DC. Going to loop around the Province. including Cape Breton Island then head across the "bridge" to Prince Edward Island. I have been told that mosquitoes are plentiful. I bought an "Insight Guide" book for general tourist stuff. Other riders suggest a good rain suit too. Other recommendations would be appreciated but will input some information for you when I get there and tour. I do plan to sample Malpeque Bay oysters and compare their taste to other oysters I have eaten.
If you have basecamp and use a gpx take a look at this link to get routes, eat and places to look at. http://www.newenglandriders.org/Best...torcycling.htm

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #12 of 18 Old May 12th, 2016, 9:27 am

Hi, Just a heads up about planned trip to Nova Scotia. I saw somebody post recently on Facebook that there is a lot of planned road construction this summer on the Cabot Trail in Nova Scotia.

You may want to inquire on the whether your route will be impacted:

Cabot Trail to see lots of road construction this summer - Nova Scotia - CBC News
post #13 of 18 Old May 14th, 2016, 7:58 pm

JohnBaker15 is right about "http://www.newenglandriders.org/BestOfNorthEast/BestByState/NSBestMotorcycling.htm" a very good site. Use his link as I am a computer dimwit when it comes to copying the link. There is even a reasonable discount card for riders and a "app" for smartphones. Check with your carrier about rates or look for Wi-Fi. I am adding NB and Quebec along the St L Seaway back Maine then Laconia or Americade depending on the weather. 8th year of retirement...woohooo!
post #14 of 18 Old May 16th, 2016, 12:56 pm

If you are thinking about going to Newfoundland, give yourself at least another week to travel. You can easily spend two weeks there alone. A great place to visit, lots to see and the people are great. If you are a Vet you will get a discount for the ferry crossing. There are lots of places where you will get a discount if you are Ex-Military.

2012 K1600GT - Red

2011 R1200RT
2000K1200LTC - Champagne
1984 Yamaha Venture
1975 Honda 750
1973 Honda 750
post #15 of 18 Old May 16th, 2016, 3:51 pm

Quote:
Tatamagouche was featured in a small Canadian TV production, it was about a town where all the women left and the men had to fend for themselves. I have been there and it is a nice enough town and worth a stop if you are going through the area but I wouldn't make it a destination. We went there a few years back and had thought of staying at the Railway Inn (not a 100% on the name) it is a bunch of decommissioned rail cars that have been turned into hotel rooms. It did not work out with our schedule but it might be a bit different from your normal hotel stay.
Cherie and I went to Newfoundland in 2012 for about 20 days and we could have used a few more, I did not realize how big the island is, part of it is when you are along the shore there is no road that goes directly where you want to go so lots of backtracking.
One thing that I find about the East Coast is that there still are lots of independent restaurants that actually cook food rather than microwave you something and call it cooking. The Chowder is especially good, contains a lot more variety than just clams. Never really cared for cod until we had the fresh from the boat variety tastes completely different than it does here.

Gerhard

If you have the time here is a slideshow of our 2012 trip

Last edited by gerhard; May 16th, 2016 at 6:53 pm. Reason: added Youtube video
post #16 of 18 Old May 16th, 2016, 4:19 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

if you going to spend a few weeks in NS, check out newfoundland for a few days - just 5-6 hour ferry ride over. I did that a few years ago and cant wait to go back.

2011 R1200RT
1978 R100/7
1973 R75/5 - For sale

Last edited by slothy; May 16th, 2016 at 4:26 pm.
post #17 of 18 Old Jun 20th, 2016, 7:42 pm

Re: Touring Nova Scotia in Aug. '16 (4841 Miles)

I'm Back! Great ride that was all dry 'til Woodstock NB. Most of the smaller towns are on the mains roads but the better rides was taking the turn marked "harbor" or "beach", you get to ride them to and from the destination back to the main road. The roads are fair, twisty, and scenic and good for floorboard sharping. The road from Bangor (fill-up) to Calais (my port of entry) is great but has some potholes. Clams outstanding Fried, only 1 place steamed; oysters are pricey at $3 Can. EACH. Suggestions: Remember your on "Atlantic Time Zone"; convert spending money at your bank before leaving home; and don't pass a gas station if your lower than half tank.
docedkin likes this.
post #18 of 18 Old Jun 21st, 2016, 6:44 am

Now you will have to post some photos so the rest of us can be envious of your journey.

Gerhard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in