Oh gawd... it's coming! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Sep 30th, 2015, 7:43 pm Thread Starter

Oh gawd... it's coming!

As the summer drew to a close, I cringed to think that soon, this riding season will be over. Now that September has come to an end, I am wondering if anyone is planning a fall ride spectaculars!

Most Canadian riders have to put their motorcycles away, but I know there are some of us that take that one last ride deep into fall, maybe even winter?

What are your plans this fall? Are you going to ride her till there is ice on the windshield, put some snow tires on her, or will you ride her down to the sunnier south and keep riding into the winter sunset?

Let's hear your stories and keep this board alive!

Last edited by Welluknow; Sep 30th, 2015 at 7:49 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Oct 1st, 2015, 5:46 pm Thread Starter

Re: Oh gawd... it's coming!

Wow,
I guess I am the only Canadian here, and will have to answer my own post! *smirk*

Well, let's see. I remain adamant that it will be able to ride late into fall. As the nights get cooler and the days get shorter I tend not to travel too far away from home, but for the week before and after Thanksgiving I am heading to Southern Ontario, then most likely east into Quebec and find my way up to parts of Northern Quebec, back across to Northern Ontario and may even touch the Manitoba boarder for the second time this riding season. I truly enjoy riding across Northern Ontario from SS Marie to Thunder Bay. And earlier this year I found this wonderful hwy that took me from Dryden to Fort Frances. This time of the year, I am sure it will be even more spectacular with the cavalcade of colours now underway.

I am hoping this time however to find some alternate routes that will truly showcase both the raw beauty of Superior and the explosive colors that autumn can bring. Although I must admit the colors thus far are a little muted here, but it is still better than what is come... eventually!

That's my little adventure for this fall. After that I have to really start looking for storage options for the little bike, but there is still time for that, right? Hopefully I can figure out how to update the profile thing on this site from my phone, but I don't really see an option and am guessing I am going to have to actually have to light up a computer for the first time in a few years to do that! (Gawd, do I even know how to use a really keyboard?)

That's my ride plan... thanks for posting this awesome question on the Canadian forum site... you rock Welluknow!

post #3 of 8 Old Oct 2nd, 2015, 7:00 pm Thread Starter

Wow,

That sounds like quite the little fall ride. What bike are you riding? I have a 2009 RT, in sexy black. It is like she is wearing a little black dress! *smirk*

I just picked her up in Sn'Ottawa on June 13th with 4,004kms on the clock. A week later she had 5,200kms a week after that she was right around 8,004kms! So after sitting around all pretty and stuff for 6 yrs, I broke her in... real good! She is over 15k now. (Ya, I don't like the bike!)

With the exception of having to add a 1/2 litre of oil in Dryden at about 10k, she has run flawlessly from New Brunswick to Northern Quebec to Winnipeg, Minnesota, Michigan, New York, Maine, Massachusetts and everywhere in between! (Oh, I guess Ont-scario too!)

If you don't have one, trust me you will love it. At first I had some reservations about it. Coming from an FJR, it really lacked the snap power that the 4 cylinder engine has. But right after I put that oil in, something happened to it. It really smoothed out and the torque and power band seemed to flatten out more. It could be that I was just getting used to riding this style of bike (as in more tour than sport) but I do not need to downshift anymore to pass, and just feel more comfortable and reassured on her.

Even in stock form, I am riding for 3 and 4 hrs at a time and getting off the bike wanting to get right back on and keep going! 10yrs ago I could do that on the FJR, but now it is so much more comfortable on the RT.

And don't even get me started on the grip warmers! I was out in Deep River last weekend and was just about needing to stop because my fingers were cold and I needed to warm them. Then I remembered, I have grip warmers! OMG! Who ever invented those should get a hero biscuit! In seconds, on low, my fingers were toasty and I just kept moving forward!

Anyway, nice to see someone write on the post. *smirk* Good luck with your trip and subsequent search for storage afterwards. You have lots of time though, don't worry about it too much!!

post #4 of 8 Old Oct 2nd, 2015, 8:33 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Ok, I'll take the bait, however.... I'm far from Canada, but can somewhat sympathize with your approaching delimna. I ran into snow last month on the long way back from the Curve Cowboy Reunion via BC, AB, crossing back into the States to Glacier Park. My day trip through Canada consisted entirely of rain and it didn't stop until I started to climb the border pass, where I encountered your white stuff that we really don't get much of in SoCal.

On the bright side, at least you weren't one of the early '14 RT riders subject to the stop ride order from the motherland during your entire riding season! Sounds like you have taken as much advantage as you could to put some miles and smiles on your new ride. Take care and stay warm...

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 Old Oct 2nd, 2015, 8:50 pm

Garage

I always ride until the ground starts freezing or December 15, whatever comes first.
In Quebec the law requires that every vehicle be fitted with snow rated tires from Dec. 15 to March 15.

I like to ride in the fall. There are less people on the roads and most of the roads have been fixed during the summer

Colors are starting to come out in the Laurentians, NY State & Vermont.

Daniel

If you can park it, and not turn around to admire it before walking away, you bought the wrong one.
IBA # 56396
MOA # 171966
R1200RT 2007
post #6 of 8 Old Oct 2nd, 2015, 9:59 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I will ride as long as the road is dry. Once the snow starts salt is put on the roads. That is my cue to put the bike in storage. I commute 40kms to work and early mornings can be cool but I love to ride so I don't care.
That being said, my season can end any time between late Oct and mid November

2011, R1200RT
2006, R1200GS (located in Ireland)
2006, K1200LT (sold)
1981, Kawasaki CSR 650 (sold)
post #7 of 8 Old Oct 5th, 2015, 7:27 pm

Smile Re: Oh gawd... it's coming!

I ride till the snow falls. Plan on a trip from Fredericton, NB around the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton to see the fall colors.
post #8 of 8 Old Oct 5th, 2015, 10:05 pm Thread Starter

You know, I had not thought about going to the Cabot Trail. Good idea, maybe the RT will lean that way for me.

On a previous bike, my first actually a Virago 1100, I rode pretty deep into the fall/winter with a good friend of mine. It was my first year riding and I didn't want to stop, at all. I had decided to take a quick ride around the city and when I decided to start heading home... it was snowing! And no, it wasn't the lite little sprinkle of snow that just covers everything, it was real snow! Northern Ontario real snow!

I had stopped to meet some friends at a restaurant and had something to eat, thinking the snow would stop as well. When we decided to leave, well, I had to brush the snow off the bike, seat, windshield, hand bars... everything, it was completely covered. As it was pretty difficult to see cars, let alone me, it was pretty much a white knuckle drive home! But that still didn't stop me!

Two days later a friend and I took another ride after work. It started getting pretty dark early by that time and it was pretty cold out, but we were loving it - well at least I thought we were! We reached a stop light and had a choice to make; take the long way home by going left, or a more direct route going right.

When we stopped at the light, I looked over to my friend and was shocked to see his moustache, eyebrows and beard were frozen white! He literally looked like a frozen popsicle! I laughed at him and said, I think we should go home now... he turned and just shook his head agreeing and we leaned the bikes right and headed home. That was early December.

The next year, Christmas day, I was in shorts and T-shirt in the morning at my house. It was incredible! My friend called me and said, 'I think we should finish that ride we started last year...' So we dug out the bikes - it had snowed the previous few weeks - met up at our usual spot, drove the same circuit we had the year before and when we reached that stop light, took the long way home!

If it wasn't for that friend, I don't think I would have started riding motorcycles. Unfortunately, as happens so many times in life, people come in and then go out of your life. For some reason, we just seemed to drift apart. I had always thought we would remain close friends, in particular because of the bikes. But, that just didn't seem to be the case for us. But, I will always be grateful that he allowed me to ride his bike, practice on it, and get inspired to ride as much as I do now. For that, no matter where we are in life, I will always thank him.

That is my true Winter riding story. Two men, riding into a cold winter sunset, enjoying every minute of Northern Ontario riding season... to the bitter, cold ,end.

Ride safe everyone!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in