Quebec, Ontario trip - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Mar 15th, 2015, 11:02 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quebec, Ontario trip

I am in the process of planning my summer trip. I live in NL and plan to start by traveling the Trans Labrador highway, on to Saguenay, Quebec City, Val-d-Or area, into Ontario. I would like to travel central to northern Ontario as I have only passed through in my previous trips I drive an RT and looking for back roads with hills, turns, scenery, wildlife, wilderness, etc.
I have travelled Quebec quite a bit in the past such as Gaspe, Chibougamau to Val-d-Or and loved every minute of it. That's why I don't mind riding some of them over and over!
I have about 2 weeks and usually spend long days in the saddle. I will be camping when the weather cooperates. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

2011, R1200RT
2006, R1200GS (located in Ireland)
2006, K1200LT (sold)
1981, Kawasaki CSR 650 (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Mar 15th, 2015, 1:57 pm

Re: Quebec, Ontario trip

Last summer my wife and I took a trip that took us through some of the parts you are thinking of, we took the route in the opposite direction though. We started in Southern Ontario went up the Bruce Peninsula to Tobermory and then the ferry to Manitoulin Island where we spent a night in Gore Bay. From there to Sudbury and then North Bay. Across to the Ottawa River and then followed it south, we spent three nights in Montebello Quebec at the biggest log cabin in Canada a Fairmont resort. Montebello Hotel - Luxury Resort in Montebello - Fairmont Le Château

From there we headed to Trois Riveres via Mont Tremblant where they had some of the best motorcycle roads of our three week trip. From there we headed to the Eastern Townships and then into the states.

Here is a little video I made the day we had to sit out in Montebello because of and all day down pour, there are worse places to be stranded for the day.

https://youtu.be/xN5sHgNkpJk

Gerhard
post #3 of 5 Old Mar 15th, 2015, 5:33 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Hi Gerhard,
The roads up around Mount Tremblant look great. How about around Algonquin Park, Timmons, and surrounding area. Are there any "loved...must do" areas? I will be solo and just touring around enjoying being on the RT!
Your video was great...wow, what rain! Your accommodations looked pretty nice!
Thanks for responding and please add any thoughts you have over the next while. Still a ton of snow here!

2011, R1200RT
2006, K1200LT (sold)

post #4 of 5 Old Mar 17th, 2015, 7:54 am

Ride The Highlands | Ride the Highlands

This is a website that is created by the tourism folks at the Ontario government but it really does provide a lot of good information on motorcycle routes. They even have GPX files to download. I have ridden in the Ottawa area along the Ottawa river and Calabogie in eastern Ontario also spent a couple of weekends in Prince Edward County but that is further south on Lake Ontario. Lots of nice riding all through the area as long as you stay off the major transportation routes that are filled with transport trucks and the RV crowd.

Gerhard
post #5 of 5 Old Mar 17th, 2015, 9:13 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

This is a great website and information for me to digest. I will do some of these roads for sure! Looks like I will eat well by the look of some places!
Thanks!

2011, R1200RT
2006, K1200LT (sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in