Model differentiation - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By JNW003
  • 2 Post By Lynn_Keen

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Oct 17th, 2017, 7:51 am Thread Starter

Model differentiation

Hi Admins.
If you click on a members public profile there is nowhere to include current motorcycle.
Could this be added? It would really aid when giving advice. Particularly on the RT series which could include the R100 airhead, the r1100 Oilhead, the R1150 Oilhead, the R1200 Hexhead, the R1200 Camhead and theR1200 Wethead.

Advice on the forum really needs the bike type otherwise there are many unnecessary posts and even more confusion.

In fact, i'd go as far as to say that each of the models is so different now, that ideally there should be a different forum for each of the iterations.

2003 R1150RT & 2017 R1200RT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Oct 17th, 2017, 9:40 am
Administrator

Garage
Re: Model differentiation

Hey,

This is something we could look into adding. First, we'd need to hear from the community and see if this is something they like added?

Niall
post #3 of 11 Old Oct 17th, 2017, 7:56 pm

That would make a lot of sense and come in very useful in discussions.

mars red 2018 R1200 RT LC

post #4 of 11 Old Oct 17th, 2017, 10:25 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Aren't the bikes listed on your posts below your current bikes? As you can see from mine, my current is a '16 K1600GTLE. I'd be more interested in reiterating to the forum participants the need to include their location as well as their current bike as I have done.
mtrevelino likes this.

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 Old Oct 18th, 2017, 9:26 am
Administrator

Garage

@JNW003 - are you referring to the signature space where you have your likes listed? If so, this is usually where people will post their vehicle info (whether it be a bike, car, truck, etc.) so when others reply to give advise/tips, they can see right there what you have (if you include it in your signature area).

That said, we could look into it if there's a large demand to have a dedicated page on your profile page, perhaps as an individual tab next to About Me or somewhere along that line.

Model differentiation-bmwltprofilepage.jpg

Would you want it so that there are fields to fill in by answering the applicable questions like

Model:
Series: (like RT to include the R100 airhead, the r1100 Oilhead, the R1150 Oilhead, the R1200 Hexhead, the R1200 Camhead and the R1200 Wethead)
Year:

What other fields would you suggest? Would it be better to have an empty response box where you could type in whatever or better as a drop-down menu to select one of the options given?

Thanks,
Nate
post #6 of 11 Old Oct 18th, 2017, 3:52 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin View Post
@JNW003 - are you referring to the signature space where you have your likes listed? If so, this is usually where people will post their vehicle info (whether it be a bike, car, truck, etc.) so when others reply to give advise/tips, they can see right there what you have (if you include it in your signature area).

e
Yes. I really don't see the need to go through a lot of changes to the forum if we just reiterate that what is being requested can be accommodated by simply modifying the signature space and avatar spaces with the location and current/past bikes by the user. Thanks for the followup!

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 Old Oct 18th, 2017, 10:10 pm

Garage

I just bought my RT this summer and am fairly new to the forum. A lot of my topic searches get a lot of results for the LTs that don't really apply to me, so it would be nice to be able to narrow the search to RT's or hex head.

Thanks,
David
post #8 of 11 Old Oct 19th, 2017, 7:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaDave View Post
A lot of my topic searches get a lot of results for the LTs that don't really apply to me, so it would be nice to be able to narrow the search to RT's or hex head.
Try this. When you hit the search button, select Advanced Search. You can enter what you want to search and select what forum you want the search to look at. It you select RT, it will only search the RT forum.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #9 of 11 Old Oct 19th, 2017, 8:55 am
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino View Post
Try this. When you hit the search button, select Advanced Search. You can enter what you want to search and select what forum you want the search to look at. It you select RT, it will only search the RT forum.
Good suggestion. Let us know how you get on @JavaDave

Fergus
post #10 of 11 Old Oct 19th, 2017, 8:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW003 View Post
Yes. I really don't see the need to go through a lot of changes to the forum if we just reiterate that what is being requested can be accommodated by simply modifying the signature space and avatar spaces with the location and current/past bikes by the user. Thanks for the followup!
I agree with Mr Beck.
Now, If you (ADMIN) want to do something that I think might be worthwhile, how about cleaning up the Classifieds. There are items listed For Sale there that have been languishing for over two years. If they ain't sold yet, they ain't gonna sell. Anyway, how about setting a time limit for ads of say 3 months or 6 months, or some other finite number. At the end of the designated period I'm sure your software could be programmed to send the author a PM or email notifying them that their ad is about to expire and if they would like it to continue they should renew it.
Dick and JNW003 like this.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #11 of 11 Old Oct 19th, 2017, 2:45 pm
Administrator

Garage

Hello there,

Unfortunately, we do not delete any posts as it will cause loopholes within the forum. It is a rule that we have established through many forums that we monitor.
Also for the time limit for ads, we will look into it and see if the system would be capable of doing so. Thanks!

Best regards,

Edward

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in