• 1 Post By Lynn_Keen
  • 1 Post By dukey33
  • 1 Post By 2191
  • 1 Post By Temesvar
  • 1 Post By Lynn_Keen

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Mar 14th, 2015, 8:48 am Thread Starter

Helmet attachment to the bike

We have just purchased a new 2014 R 1200 RT. We also purchased two new Schubert C3 helmets. In the past we have had Arai helmets that we have been able to attach to the bike on a installed helmet holder. We purchased the helmet holder but can't figure out how to attach our Schubert helmets. If this is impossible, what other way can we do this. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Mar 14th, 2015, 9:55 am

Re: Helmet attachment to the bike

With something like this?
Lock Straps Jacket / Helmet Lock - RevZilla

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 Old Mar 18th, 2015, 10:09 pm

I bought a bicycle lock like the one in the photo, it loops easily through two helmet chin bars and the passenger grab handle. I know it is not going to stop a determined thief but there isn't much that would.

Gerhard

post #4 of 18 Old Mar 19th, 2015, 7:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorroy View Post
We have just purchased a new 2014 R 1200 RT. We also purchased two new Schubert C3 helmets. In the past we have had Arai helmets that we have been able to attach to the bike on a installed helmet holder. We purchased the helmet holder but can't figure out how to attach our Schubert helmets. If this is impossible, what other way can we do this. Thanks
Been using one of these from REI for several years. One loop to helmet and 2nd loop around passenger grab handle or any other accessible place on the bike. Very compact and easy to store.

REI Double Cable Lock - REI.com
Boulder35 likes this.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 Old Mar 19th, 2015, 8:29 am Thread Starter

Thank you for the suggestions. Our problem is their doesn't seem to be anything on the Schubert helmet to attach to. There isn't a ring on the chin strap.
post #6 of 18 Old Mar 19th, 2015, 8:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorroy View Post
Thank you for the suggestions. Our problem is their doesn't seem to be anything on the Schubert helmet to attach to. There isn't a ring on the chin strap.
I put the wire through the visor opening and under the chin bar it works fine and is secure and the wire from the bicycle lock is long enough to secure both helmets.

Gerhard
post #7 of 18 Old Mar 19th, 2015, 8:43 am

Garage

I have a C3 Pro also. When I asked the dealer how I can secure it he told me to lock it in the top case. I don't always have the bags on my RT. I think I'll try the cable lock. Thanks.

Mark

Chesapeake, Virginia
'14 BMW R1200RT - Quartz Blue Metallic (paint code=A18)
'11 Victory Cross Country - Imperial Blue SOLD
'03 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100 - Purple SOLD
post #8 of 18 Old Mar 19th, 2015, 9:07 am

Would this work on the Schubert?
T-Bar Helmet Lock - Nolan-USA

tvguy likes this.

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
-------------------------------
Life's too short to ride ugly motorcycles
post #9 of 18 Old May 21st, 2015, 9:28 am

Talking Re: Helmet attachment to the bike

good morning: I saw this the other day but, was busy, an forgot to add my reply.

I have a SS coated cable which I pass the helmet and out under the face shield of both helmets, then hook the looped ends under the seat and close the seat.

lock bags, top case and we are good to go.
Boulder35 likes this.
post #10 of 18 Old Aug 6th, 2015, 12:06 pm

With a helmet now at $6-700 and a $400 communication system attached, I take my helmet with me if I can't get it out of sight and weather protected inside a saddlebag or top box.

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S
post #11 of 18 Old Aug 6th, 2015, 3:31 pm

I'd just like a place to put it so it doesn't fall, even if not locked. Right now, that place is hanging by the chin bar on the left passenger peg.

All twins:
2017 R1200GS low
2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom
2012 Ducati Diavel
2014 R1200RT (gone)
2008 R1200GS (gone)
2007 SV650 Naked (gone)
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge (gone)
2006 Harley Ultra (gone)
1992 Harley Electra Glide Classic (gone)

post #12 of 18 Old Feb 12th, 2016, 5:03 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukey33 View Post
Would this work on the Schubert?
T-Bar Helmet Lock - Nolan-USA

You can get them from Schubert as well. Call their US # Some dealers also have them.

Doug Sorchilla
La Quinta, CA
2012 K1600 GTL

Growing Old is Mandatory Growing Up is Optional
post #13 of 18 Old Jan 31st, 2018, 3:01 pm

Garage

Many years back, bikes came with locks. Even then I found them useless, and apparently so does the manufacturer, since they are not offering that option anymore. I remember many years back noticing a guy with a gorgeous girl leaving their helmets hooked to that device, thru the rings. A few hours later went back to the bikes, and noticed that them helmets were gone, with only four rings still dangling in the locking device. As we were pulling out of the parking lot, I noticed in the mirrors somebody running after us! Recognized the guy that left the helmets there. Stopped to see what he wants. The kid was crying, thought we may have taken his helmets. Easy to see he was wrong. "brand new helmets, was wearing them for the first time today" he says. Helmet law is in place so he can't go home to get the old set of helmets, so he wants to borrow mine. The girlfriend is to stay with us until he comes back. Hmmm, nice girl, was thinking, but what if he is not coming back? Had a great Freddy Spencer replica Arai at the time, so I offered to take him home with my friend's helmet. Never forget foreseeing them helmets to be gone...And yes, I would have traded the helmet for that girl, but for sure, the helmet staid with me!
post #14 of 18 Old Jan 31st, 2018, 3:09 pm

Garage

Unless I have the top case with me and can lock the helmet in there, out of site, my helmet comes with me!
Nothing will keep the helmet with the bike!! Well, depends on the helmet as well...
motorhead1977 likes this.
post #15 of 18 Old Jan 31st, 2018, 6:07 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn_Keen View Post
Been using one of these from REI for several years. One loop to helmet and 2nd loop around passenger grab handle or any other accessible place on the bike. Very compact and easy to store.

REI Double Cable Lock - REI.com
Check the reviews at REI . . .

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #16 of 18 Old Jan 31st, 2018, 11:17 pm

I have left my helmet on the bike many times. Usually, I just carry my helmet inside with me, even though I can put it in the top case. Why? When it's hot outside, the helmet stays cool when inside. In winter, the helmet stays warm inside. Today, at lunch, my helmet was on the table and my jacket was on the back of a chair... no problem.

Not sure who would want my smelly old helmet anyway.

You could print out an "official" sticker that says there is a GPS tracking chip in the helmet and put it on the back of the helmet. Use a reflection paper to make it useful at night.

Current Ride: '02 LT - The Mistress
post #17 of 18 Old Feb 1st, 2018, 7:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMitchell View Post
Check the reviews at REI . . .
As with any product I'm sure there are some problems and while the posted reviews seem problematic I guess I'm lucky 'cause been using this lock for about 5 years without a problem.
zippy_gg likes this.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #18 of 18 Old Jan 6th, 2019, 7:19 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorchilla View Post
You can get them from Schubert as well. Call their US # Some dealers also have them.
You can get them off Amazon but not branded as Nolan. Had a couple of somethings similar that came with the GL1800 when I bought it. Never had any issues with anyone trying to snag helmets from the GL1800 off the rear built in helmet locks (under the top trunk) and have worn Arai helmets for years. They were very useful when the top box was packed full (and side bags as well) for OTR trips. Since I have no helmet locks available on the RT I now either lock the helmets in the top box (if attached) or side bags if empty. Otherwise we take them with us. Installed helmet locks on the Ducati and also use a cable lock for jackets since the Duc has no luggage. No issues there either.

Motorhead1977, Albany, NY
"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him."--John, Viscount Morley On Compromise, 1874
Dissent is Patriotic - Let us never forget that America was born of dissent.

2018 R1200RTW - Mars Red
2015 Ducati Scrambler Icon - '62 Yellow
1987 Honda VFR400R Rothmans livery

Last edited by motorhead1977; Jan 6th, 2019 at 7:40 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in