Heavy Bike - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jun 8th, 2006, 7:44 am Thread Starter

Question Heavy Bike

Was visiting a friend yesterday, His Harley has been in the shop since winter, cracked crankcase. I couldn't believe him when he said his bike weighed 1200#'s I thought the LT was heavy. Can this be true. It is a 2 wheeler, don't know the model, because I haven't seen it and it's been in the shop.

Follow my South America ride at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2011 K1600GTL RECEIVED April 30th, 2011 @ 1:30 pm
2012 RED KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Jun 8th, 2006, 8:29 am

HD weight

Heaviest bike HD builds is the FLHTCUI Ultra Classic.factory listed dry weight is 788 lbs.Sorry Dave.ther's no way your 67 weighed 1250.New Gold Wing is 798.
post #3 of 11 Old Jun 8th, 2006, 9:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry_kramer
Was visiting a friend yesterday, His Harley has been in the shop since winter, cracked crankcase. I couldn't believe him when he said his bike weighed 1200#'s I thought the LT was heavy. Can this be true. It is a 2 wheeler, don't know the model, because I haven't seen it and it's been in the shop.
No, unless he put over 400 pounds of accessories on it!

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 11 Old Jun 8th, 2006, 10:49 am

Could it be...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
No, unless he put over 400 pounds of accessories on it!
His biker chick???

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #5 of 11 Old Jun 8th, 2006, 12:56 pm

Quote:

Your friend has more than a cracked crankcase... could be he's smoking crack... Just kidding. The Ultra Classic (HD's biggest) is in the same weight class as the LT and Wing.
post #6 of 11 Old Jun 8th, 2006, 8:37 pm

Ultra classic real heavyweight !

Just returned from Americade where I spent some time with a couple of guys with identical ultra classics.
THey both claimed that their bikes weighed around 1100 lbs. I thought that the LT was a little shy of the goldwing and that they were the heaviest.

If I thought the LT was heavy he suggested I try to heave the HD off the side stand.

Even though I didn't weigh it, I can attest that it is VERY HEAVY, Sure felt like every bit of 1100 lbs. and much heavier than the LT. Maybe because it has that girth centred so low and the side stand really lets it lean way over so you're starting with it really tipped.

Definately too much bike for me!
post #7 of 11 Old Jun 8th, 2006, 10:11 pm

2006 Ultra Classic

DIMENSIONS U.S. UNITS
Length 98.3 in.

Seat Height

Laden 27.3 in.

Unladen 30.7 in.

Ground Clearance 5.1 in.

Rake Steering Head/Trail 26.0 / 6.2 in.

Wheelbase 63.5 in.

Fuel Capacity 5.0 gals.

Oil Capacity 4.0 qts.

Weight

Dry Weight 788.0 lbs.

Running Order 819.0 lbs.

POWERTRAIN
Engine Twin Cam 88

Displacement 88.0 in.

Bore x Stroke 3.75 in. x 4.00 in.

Engine Torque 86.0 ft. lbs. @ 3500 rpm

Fuel System Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI)

Compression Ratio 8.9:1

Miles per Gallon

Carb. N/A

ESPFI 46 hwy / 39 city

Primary Drive Chain

Gear Ratio (overall)

1st 10.110

2nd 6.958

3rd 4.953

4th 3.862

5th 3.150

6th N/A

WHEELS/TIRES
Wheels

Front Black 9-spoke cast aluminum

Rear Black 9-spoke cast aluminum

Tire Size

Front MT90B16 72H

Rear MU85B16 77H

ELECTRICAL

Instruments Electronic speedometer; odometer; resettable tripmeter; tachometer; fuel gauge; oil pressure; volt meter; air temp

Indicator Lamps High beam; neutral; low oil pressure; engine diagnostics; accessory; speakers; turn signals; low fuel warnings; cruise control; security system (optional)

CHASSIS
Brakes

Front Dual

Rear Single

Lean Angle (per SAEJ1168) 30 / 31

Exhaust System Chrome, cross-over duals
post #8 of 11 Old Jun 9th, 2006, 9:45 am

you want heavy? try a boss hoss with the automotive v8.
post #9 of 11 Old Jun 9th, 2006, 11:31 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by starky
-----------If I thought the LT was heavy he suggested I try to heave the HD off the side stand.

Even though I didn't weigh it, I can attest that it is VERY HEAVY, Sure felt like every bit of 1100 lbs. and much heavier than the LT. Maybe because it has that girth centred so low and the side stand really lets it lean way over so you're starting with it really tipped.

Definately too much bike for me!
It IS because of the larger lean angle on the sidestand. My son-in-law's Soft Tail Heritage was harder to lift off the sidestand than my LT was, and it was a considerably lighter bike.

People have often wished for the Harley sidestand on the LT, and my comeback is always that if they had to lean it over as far as the Harley leans they would have a hard time getting it back upright.

On the Soft Tail I had to lean it a little to the right to get the sidestand to swing out, to clear the locking tang, then lean it WAY to the left to get it on the stand. I would NOT want that same stand on an LT!

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #10 of 11 Old Jun 11th, 2006, 9:38 am

Confusion?

Quote:
Sure he's not confusing weight with engine displacement? These weight numbers sound awful close to common displacement numbers.

Dan
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue

; Nolan 103 Helmet w/Bluetooth;
;
;
and
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Secures gear/luggage);
; Droid X (Replaces
and factory radio);
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Not installed);
(Currently unistalled),
; Clymer Manual; BMW Service DVD
post #11 of 11 Old Jun 11th, 2006, 11:28 am

I have owned many HDs, 2 of them Ultras and none of them felt as heavy (to me) moving them off the side stands the LT does, Maybe because I was younger!!!

Airborne "Never Forget"
Vonore, TN

2003 LT-E "HLZ BNZ"
2004 Rune "PNS EXTN"
1970 ZA-50 "JR"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in