Riding with new hip? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old May 11th, 2014, 12:08 pm Thread Starter

Unhappy Riding with new hip?

According to my Sports Medicine Doctor I'm in need of a hip replacement soon per recent pelvis x-ray and diagnosis, but I decided it won't be until after this year's good riding season. My current bike is an 09' R1200RT (with lowered PM pegs), and I only feel sharp pain in my right hip while removing and lowering my right leg from the footpeg at a stoplight. My dilema is that I presently have zero pain while walking, sitting down/getting up at home or work, but is only painful while lowering my rt. leg from the footpeg.

Does anyone here ride with an articial hip? Upon researching this procedure I discovered that hip dislocation can be an issue afterwards, and was wondering how that would affect getting on or off a bike?
(When I was young a friend's dad always said "its hell getting old".. and unfortunately now must concur with that statement)

Thanks in advance, and ride safe.

A. Jensen (Mean Dog)
09' R1200RT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bothell, WA

Founding member of the 'long in tooth' northwest mild dogs.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old May 12th, 2014, 5:45 am

Re: Riding with new hip?

I had a hip replacement a year ago December. Last season I put on 3 times the miles that I had in the previous 3 years that I have owned the RT. No pain, no worries about trying to get my leg down at stops, and no worries about getting it back on the peg (which was harder than getting it down). New hip made riding fun again.

post #3 of 10 Old May 12th, 2014, 7:12 am

I had my right hip replaced over 15 years ago and never gave up riding. It's lasted a long time. It does begin to bother me when I walk a lot (like following my wife around a mall shopping). I am careful throwing my leg over the seat getting on and off. Make sure your sidestand is firmly set. Lately, on long trips, I am more comfortable driving my sidecar. Just know your limitations.

post #4 of 10 Old May 12th, 2014, 9:07 am

get an airhawk pad or something similar, sometimes an inch goes a mile as far as relieving pain. No hip issues here, but had my right knee replaced a year ago and waiting on the left one, so I know your pain

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #5 of 10 Old May 12th, 2014, 12:10 pm

Obviously your doctor knows best, but surgery is nearly always the last resort. My doctors tell me that even when facing a decaying situation, that it is best to defer the surgical solution as long as possible.

I love riding and have been riding all my life, but I would give up riding before opting for hip replacement surgery if I could still walk, sit, and do everything else without pain other than riding. I might even think about buying a 3-wheeler or a convertible sports car as a surrogate for riding a motorcycle. If you defer the surgery for a time, you can always pick up motorcycle riding again later.

It is my understanding that in general, you get one joint replacement that should (must) last you the rest of your days. Subsequent replacements are difficult at best, when they can be done at all. There is always a chance of complications when undergoing surgery, and joint replacement does not always work out for everyone.

That said, if you must undergo the surgery, everyone I have known tells me what a miraculous relief it is after they have recovered and rehabilitated. Whatever you decide, best wishes and good luck!
post #6 of 10 Old May 12th, 2014, 1:02 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnDog View Post
According to my Sports Medicine Doctor I'm in need of a hip replacement soon per recent pelvis x-ray and diagnosis, but I decided it won't be until after this year's good riding season. My current bike is an 09' R1200RT (with lowered PM pegs), and I only feel sharp pain in my right hip while removing and lowering my right leg from the footpeg at a stoplight. My dilema is that I presently have zero pain while walking, sitting down/getting up at home or work, but is only painful while lowering my rt. leg from the footpeg.

Does anyone here ride with an articial hip? Upon researching this procedure I discovered that hip dislocation can be an issue afterwards, and was wondering how that would affect getting on or off a bike?
(When I was young a friend's dad always said "its hell getting old".. and unfortunately now must concur with that statement)

Thanks in advance, and ride safe.
First, I am not trying to be a clever here, but want to offer a serious suggestion. If the only issue that you have is when you lower your right foot off the peg, then why don't you just keep your right foot on the peg at all time?

There are no real reasons to put both of your feet down at a stop, and I never do. As a matter of fact, back in my old riding days (45+ years ago, and in another place altogether), I have never ever seen anybody on a bike come to stop with both feet on the ground. It might take some practice for you to get used to stopping with just the right foot down, but it is very easy and very natural....well, natural for me anyway.

Just a suggestion!

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #7 of 10 Old May 12th, 2014, 2:57 pm

Been there and done that, Left one in 05, leg off the peg issue, bought a new 06 LT spring of 06, made all the CCR's except last year, right hip, could not lift my leg, even tough getting in the car, I'm 9 or so weeks into it and riding is no pain. will have to wait a little and see how time in saddle works.
The pain will let you know, without question. take care of it when it's time and not to worry.
post #8 of 10 Old May 12th, 2014, 11:52 pm Thread Starter

First off, I'd like to thank everyone for the excellent replies and suggestions; you folks are awesome! I'll try to individually thank each of you for your suggestions, but you'll have to please excuse me if I mess this up since I'm new to this type of forum format.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
I had a hip replacement a year ago December. Last season I put on 3 times the miles that I had in the previous 3 years that I have owned the RT. No pain, no worries about trying to get my leg down at stops, and no worries about getting it back on the peg (which was harder than getting it down). New hip made riding fun again.
Thanks skydiver, this is exactly the answer I was hoping for since I can't imagine going on the remainder of my years without 2-wheels under me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afgrava View Post
I had my right hip replaced over 15 years ago and never gave up riding. It's lasted a long time. It does begin to bother me when I walk a lot (like following my wife around a mall shopping). I am careful throwing my leg over the seat getting on and off. Make sure your sidestand is firmly set. Lately, on long trips, I am more comfortable driving my sidecar. Just know your limitations.
Thanks for the sincere reply. I just turned 57 and can't imagine being without a nice breeze in my face. I'll definitely take your advice on the side stand, especially since my inseam is only about 31".

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevandyke View Post
get an airhawk pad or something similar, sometimes an inch goes a mile as far as relieving pain. No hip issues here, but had my right knee replaced a year ago and waiting on the left one, so I know your pain
Thanks for the pad suggestion pete, a good friend of mine that rides a 1300ST mentioned that his airhawk made a world of difference for comfort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider View Post
Obviously your doctor knows best, but surgery is nearly always the last resort. My doctors tell me that even when facing a decaying situation, that it is best to defer the surgical solution as long as possible.

I love riding and have been riding all my life, but I would give up riding before opting for hip replacement surgery if I could still walk, sit, and do everything else without pain other than riding. I might even think about buying a 3-wheeler or a convertible sports car as a surrogate for riding a motorcycle. If you defer the surgery for a time, you can always pick up motorcycle riding again later.

It is my understanding that in general, you get one joint replacement that should (must) last you the rest of your days. Subsequent replacements are difficult at best, when they can be done at all. There is always a chance of complications when undergoing surgery, and joint replacement does not always work out for everyone.

That said, if you must undergo the surgery, everyone I have known tells me what a miraculous relief it is after they have recovered and rehabilitated. Whatever you decide, best wishes and good luck!
Thanks XMagna, I definitely plan on waiting this procedure out until it becomes too painful to walk on. So far its just painful for lowering my rt-leg, but the ibuprofen I just started taking is definitely helping so far. Although surgury is a last resort type of procedure, my hip socket is now at bone to bone so it'll be a necessary replacement in my near future. Hopefully the newest long wearing ceramic ball & socket will last my remaining years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadG View Post
First, I am not trying to be a clever here, but want to offer a serious suggestion. If the only issue that you have is when you lower your right foot off the peg, then why don't you just keep your right foot on the peg at all time?

There are no real reasons to put both of your feet down at a stop, and I never do. As a matter of fact, back in my old riding days (45+ years ago, and in another place altogether), I have never ever seen anybody on a bike come to stop with both feet on the ground. It might take some practice for you to get used to stopping with just the right foot down, but it is very easy and very natural....well, natural for me anyway.

Just a suggestion!
Thanks Pad. For years now I've been in the habit of stopping and only dropping my left foot down, but if I'm at a long light I'll pop it in neutral just before stopping to aleviate excess clutch wear. The wear issue on my hip socket is definitely more costly than my clutch, so a simple change of habit will reduce a lot of unnecessary pain. Thanks again for that logical suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer2up View Post
Been there and done that, Left one in 05, leg off the peg issue, bought a new 06 LT spring of 06, made all the CCR's except last year, right hip, could not lift my leg, even tough getting in the car, I'm 9 or so weeks into it and riding is no pain. will have to wait a little and see how time in saddle works.
The pain will let you know, without question. take care of it when it's time and not to worry.
Thanks Beemer2up, I truly appreciate your experience and positive outcome, and I wish you all the best for continued results.
A colleague gave me the name of a nearby 'perfectionist' ortho surgeon that specializes in hip surgury, so when my time comes up I'll be ready for it.
The youtube videos I watched for hip replacement procedures (although explicit), has given me a good idea of the least invasive technique and product type I'd like installed for hopefully the best recovery.

Thanks again, and I hope you'll be enjoying many-many great miles ahead.

A. Jensen (Mean Dog)
09' R1200RT

Bothell, WA

post #9 of 10 Old May 14th, 2014, 6:20 am

Putting my leg down, and getting it back up was the most difficult thing before my hip replacement. I did the left leg only stop during normal stops (at lights, etc.), but one does not always get the choice to make a "normal" stop, which worried me a lot. I had at least one occasion in a parking lot when someone pulled out in front of me as I was making a slow right turn and I had to hit the brakes, the bike took a severe lean to the right and believe me it did hurt to get that foot down and save the bike, but I did manage to keep the bike upright. Being "impaired" in my driving skills in certain situations did not make me feel comfortable, so I stayed away from parking lots as much as I could and did not ride the bike as often. With the new hip I feel 100%.

post #10 of 10 Old May 14th, 2014, 7:53 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
Putting my leg down, and getting it back up was the most difficult thing before my hip replacement. I did the left leg only stop during normal stops (at lights, etc.), but one does not always get the choice to make a "normal" stop, which worried me a lot. I had at least one occasion in a parking lot when someone pulled out in front of me as I was making a slow right turn and I had to hit the brakes, the bike took a severe lean to the right and believe me it did hurt to get that foot down and save the bike, but I did manage to keep the bike upright. Being "impaired" in my driving skills in certain situations did not make me feel comfortable, so I stayed away from parking lots as much as I could and did not ride the bike as often. With the new hip I feel 100%.

The weather here has been excellent this week so I've been commuting to work on my bike. It's tough to keep telling myself to just leave it gear at the lights with just my left foot down, and a couple of the lights I forgot and popped it into neutral.. then had the ol' ouch, ouch, ouch, for every 2" until my right foot was on the ground.

I'm also very concerned with an emergency need to quckly put my right foot down, and realized my riding strategies has that as a high priority now. So far the good news is that my hip isn't locking up, and based on 1/2 day rides the last two weekends, the lowering pain is the same after 5 minutes or 1 hour.

I'm glad your new hip is working great for you and very much appreciate your sharing this with me. Hopefully my hip will hold out until after this season's good riding season is over, but realize that a repalcement is needed soon.

Thanks again; hearing of your positive outcome is exactly what I needed to hear.

A. Jensen (Mean Dog)
09' R1200RT

Bothell, WA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in