Beware of XP3 Corp. Hornet Deer Avoidance Systems - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old May 10th, 2014, 12:54 pm Thread Starter

Beware of XP3 Corp. Hornet Deer Avoidance Systems

I have never once written a bad review of another company's products or customer service. . . . . . . . . .Until now. Many know my OGB motorcycle comfort grips, and my reputation for above average customer service. I guess if I hadn't had such a blaringly bad customer service experience with a company like this, you would never have been reading these words. Also, I have "stepped up" many times in my OGB customer service experience, even when we had done everything right for a given customer, already. Sometimes the customer just needs you to take responsibility, because there is no one other than you who can provide the kind of quality solution needed to solve a particular dilemma

This is a bad company. . . . . BEWARE.!!!

Called the company to tell them that the toggle switch harness for my motorcycle setup of the Hornet Deer avoidance system I bought from them had been bad since day 1. Initially, was told to de-install the switch harness and send it back for a new one. Once I did the de-install, called the company back to get an RMA, and all I got was an argument from the guy's wife that I bought the Hornet more than a year ago, so no joy. Told her that the switch had been bought, separately, less than a year ago and had never worked properly, but this lady's message was: no joy.

The idea of an active deer avoidance system is good, but the company has inferior switches, and their customer service SUCKS, or is non existent.

I guess my message is CAVEAT EMPTOR with XP3 Corp. If you decide to buy and install this system from Hornet, be aware that they may not stand behind their products. I had to go and spend another $21 to get the switch replacement which the company should have stood behind. I will never understand companies that are so arrogant as to think we consumers don't share this kind of information amongst ourselves.

Peace!

Dave R.

Smile. . . .I used to be BEHIND YOU!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old May 10th, 2014, 1:12 pm

Re: Beware of XP3 Corp. Hornet Deer Avoidance Systems

A lot of these companies never thought that far. They always thought they could get away with it and didn't care about losing 1 customer. They didn't know or understand enough of the power of Internet forums.
post #3 of 28 Old May 10th, 2014, 1:47 pm

I've had my Hornet on my bikes for over 10 years. It still works great. I installed mine in conjunction with the fog lights on the GTL. Never used their switch. Sorry to hear of your bad service.
Tom

post #4 of 28 Old May 10th, 2014, 1:53 pm

I was with you until the $21 part. Life is too short to even argue over $20.
post #5 of 28 Old May 10th, 2014, 2:32 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchimedesRT View Post
I was with you until the $21 part. Life is too short to even argue over $20.
I agree with you about the small amount of money. Notwithstanding, it would be a lie to say that their shabby customer service approach might not extend to their more expensive products. After all, everyone's $ indifferent point is different, but a lousy approach to customer service has no limit on its value. . . . . . . . . . . . .with all due respect.

If you knew how much I put into my customer service on a product that is only $24.95, you might understand what I mean here. I have three rules when it comes to customer service:

1. Take care of the customer !
2. Take care of the customer !
3. Take care of the customer !

And the customer portion of my business model applies whether I am dealing with one of my large worldwide web dealers doing tens of thousands of dollars a year of business with me, or one lonely direct sale of a single set of grips for $24.95. . . . . . . . There is virtually no difference to me.

Dave R.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 28 Old May 10th, 2014, 2:35 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIRDDOG51 View Post
I've had my Hornet on my bikes for over 10 years. It still works great. I installed mine in conjunction with the fog lights on the GTL. Never used their switch. Sorry to hear of your bad service.
Tom
I agree that it's a great product. I just don't like the quality of their switches, and their dismal approach to customer service.

Thanks for commiserating with me, though.

Dave R.

post #7 of 28 Old May 10th, 2014, 3:55 pm

If you can't hear it neither can the deer. Caveat emptor

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Ponch

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement. Go anywhere, travel light, get in, get out, wherever there's trouble, a man alone."

2009 RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335
VROC 8109-R
VBA 19
post #8 of 28 Old May 10th, 2014, 11:49 pm

I think the ultimate "active" deer avoidance system would be a PA loudspeaker sending the sound of a round being chambered in a Winchester 94.

Smile! I could be BEHIND you!
post #9 of 28 Old May 11th, 2014, 9:24 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo6 View Post
I think the ultimate "active" deer avoidance system would be a PA loudspeaker sending the sound of a round being chambered in a Winchester 94.
That works for me, although I have a Marlin 444. Will that work?

Ponch

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement. Go anywhere, travel light, get in, get out, wherever there's trouble, a man alone."

2009 RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335
VROC 8109-R
VBA 19
post #10 of 28 Old May 11th, 2014, 9:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponch View Post
That works for me, although I have a Marlin 444. Will that work?
Dunno, but one of my guys is an avid hunter, and swears that the deer are conditioned to the sound of his .30-30, disappearing when the first round is chambered at the opening of deer season, and not returning until the last round is cleared at the end of deer season.

post #11 of 28 Old May 11th, 2014, 10:27 pm

Product support is critical. Just look at the long history of Winchester. I own, and have owned, many 10's of firearms, and my favorite in a 1953 M94 Winchester.

Why? It's handy, it works, and there's product support from many sources.

The OP's observation should be taken to heart. Perhaps the Deer gizmo's owners are having a bad time.
post #12 of 28 Old May 11th, 2014, 10:58 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA1195 View Post
Product support is critical. Just look at the long history of Winchester. I own, and have owned, many 10's of firearms, and my favorite in a 1953 M94 Winchester.

Why? It's handy, it works, and there's product support from many sources.

The OP's observation should be taken to heart. Perhaps the Deer gizmo's owners are having a bad time.
Appreciate your comments and support. This issue certainly isn't the end of the world, and I am in agreement with many of the posters here that for a $21 part, let's not get out of hand. It's just that given how much importance I place on my own delivery of customer service to support a $25 purchase, it irks me when others don't seem to value the support process very much. My main purpose was to give a heads up to current and future purchasers of this equipment (for better or for worse), so they would know what they might expect from this company, based on my experience.

As long as that point has been adequately made, let's go on to focus on much more important things like what's for dinner etc.

Best to all,

Dave R.

post #13 of 28 Old May 11th, 2014, 11:00 pm

My brother has a "Brooklyn Scout" -- a 94 with a long-eye-relief scope mounted on the bbl forward of the action (like on a Steyr Scout), with all of the advantages that gives.

post #14 of 28 Old May 12th, 2014, 8:10 am

Quote:
Dunno, but one of my guys is an avid hunter, and swears that the deer are conditioned to the sound of his .30-30, disappearing when the first round is chambered at the opening of deer season, and not returning until the last round is cleared at the end of deer season.
I've seen crows that smart. When I was a kid, I used to spend summers in rural maine. I could practically walk up and touch crows unarmed, but if I had my 22, I couldn't get within 100 yards of them.

Ponch

2009 RT

BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335
VROC 8109-R
VBA 19
post #15 of 28 Old May 12th, 2014, 10:29 am

Quote:
My brother has a "Brooklyn Scout" -- a 94 with a long-eye-relief scope mounted on the bbl forward of the action (like on a Steyr Scout), with all of the advantages that gives.
The winchester lever guns were the original assault weapons. The 94 is pricey these days, but a 92 replica can be had for a reasonable price. That said, I love my 444. Hits like the hammer of Thor and shoots under an inch at 100 yards for 5 shots. I can't complain. If I had the dough though, I'd fancy a nice 1886 Winchester. That's the cats behind.

Ponch

2009 RT

BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335
VROC 8109-R
VBA 19
post #16 of 28 Old May 12th, 2014, 2:28 pm

I keep swearing that one of these days I'm going to buy a Rossi Ranch, that lever action pistol with the big loop. It's not practical, but imagine the look on my people's faces if I wore that in for briefing!

post #17 of 28 Old May 12th, 2014, 2:52 pm

Quote:
I keep swearing that one of these days I'm going to buy a Rossi Ranch, that lever action pistol with the big loop. It's not practical, but imagine the look on my people's faces if I wore that in for briefing!
Or if you had a saddle scabbard on the bike with a lever action. I see Rossi has one in 454 Casul.

Ponch

2009 RT

BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335
VROC 8109-R
VBA 19
post #18 of 28 Old May 12th, 2014, 3:31 pm

Quote:
Or if you had a saddle scabbard on the bike with a lever action. I see Rossi has one in 454 Casul.
Nah, you gotta do the Steve McQueen thing, with the holster.

post #19 of 28 Old May 17th, 2014, 9:50 pm

Ah the ole "bad customer service" complaint... I guarantee that bad customer support gets around at about the same rate as good, but the impact of bad reviews is far more harmful.
I feel for you AJ, and stuff like you've experienced should be a HUGE warning to others. Yep only a $20 switch this time, but the next customer might have a more expensive issue they can't handle for $20.
Unfortunately we have far too many bike related businesses cropping up with the sole intent of making a buck and buyer be damned.
post #20 of 28 Old May 20th, 2014, 10:19 am

for the most part customer service is non existant in this country anymore. I make appointments to have contractors come out and they cant even show up to bid the job. how do you have a company that cant even bother to look at $20,000 jobs? give em a bad review, throw their crap in the garbage and buy a good switch
post #21 of 28 Old May 20th, 2014, 1:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach View Post
Ah the ole "bad customer service" complaint... I guarantee that bad customer support gets around at about the same rate as good, but the impact of bad reviews is far more harmful... Yep only a $20 switch this time, but the next customer might have a more expensive issue they can't handle for $20....
Actually, marketing statistics reveal people will typically go out of their way to tell their bad experience with at least 12 others, yet on average a good experience is mentioned once or twice.
While it's only a $20 part to the customer, it's also only a $20 part (retail) to the company. So, that says even more, if they're not willing to rectify the small things.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #22 of 28 Old May 20th, 2014, 2:56 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

When you're selling Snake Oil, do you really care if someone's unhappy with the lid of the container it comes in?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #23 of 28 Old May 20th, 2014, 4:55 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Please don't be offended......... I can't help myself. They probably figured if you would buy a deer avoidance system that doesn't work, why would your switch need to?

Seriously though, honk your horn, flash your brights, and you'll kill them all day long.
I think the deer hear the devices, they're just too stipid to know what to do about it.

And finally, those people have a pretty short businees plan for not comping on a 20 dollar part.

post #24 of 28 Old May 20th, 2014, 5:07 pm

The only thing that may work is FLIR. I have seen it on IBR bikes.

Ponch

2009 RT

BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335
VROC 8109-R
VBA 19
post #25 of 28 Old May 20th, 2014, 5:14 pm

Quote:
I know this continues to derail the OP's thread, but it's time to roll out this photo again. I just love it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Texas motorcycle seat.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	56681  

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #26 of 28 Old May 20th, 2014, 5:30 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I can see someone running up to the deputy in the background and screaming "Officer, there's a handgun on that mortoecycle!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Deputy says.......... "so"?

post #27 of 28 Old May 20th, 2014, 11:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese View Post
When you're selling Snake Oil, do you really care if someone's unhappy with the lid of the container it comes in?
Only if you're interested in repeat customers for your snake oil.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #28 of 28 Old May 24th, 2014, 8:38 pm

Bikerj, I think your statistical data may have been relevant in 1980, but not so much today. Yep a person with a bad experience might tell 12 folks, while a good experience might only get mentioned to 2-3.... BUT we live in the 21st century and folks post this stuff on the internet. So if you make one bad experience post, or one good, it makes little difference to the saturation rate. That bad review though is gonna have a much greater impact.
I think this company was foolish to not handle a $20 part. Doing so will likely cost them thousands in lost sales because of a single bad review.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in