Who has an FJR - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old Jun 7th, 2006, 9:31 am Thread Starter

Who has an FJR

I seem to be spending a lot of time over in the FRJ forums. It very well become my next LD bike and for all you 'say it aint so folks' out there, I'll likely be keeping the LT. My wife wont let me let it go.
Anyway, anyone here have both or has moved to an FJR? I would appreciate any comments pro or con. I am looking at the 2006 1300A model.
With due respect to the brand loyalty of this list perhaps on off list reply would be appropriate.
Please email: [email protected]
Btw, no need to suggest the new BMW GT. I have read/heard/talked all I need about them plus after having logged a few miles on one, I have ruled it out. The cost difference and BMW shrinking dealer network didnt help either. Opps, did I say that out loud? Oh well, let the flames begin.

Mike
IBA #433

Last edited by mjac; Jun 7th, 2006 at 9:53 am. Reason: Added email address
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old Jun 7th, 2006, 9:43 am

Thumbs up Go for it!

Have you read the comparos in the GT forum? Some good information there. Doug Hines (drhines) is on his third FJR, and Todd (bmwhd) just bought his first.

I'd buy one if I wasn't such a BMW snob. Actually...the bike just doesn't speak to me like the new GT does. You gotta follow your heart man. And forget what "the others" try to tell you.

IRONY: As "bikers", we want to be nonconformists, dang it! Nobody's gonna tell us nothin' about nothin'! But let somebody buy I bike that "the others" don't like . . . and all that goes out the window! Gimme a break!
post #3 of 23 Old Jun 7th, 2006, 9:55 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Have you read the comparos in the GT forum? Some good information there. Doug Hines (drhines) is on his third FJR, and Todd (bmwhd) just bought his first.
No, I havent Joe. Thanks for the heads ups.
Regards,
Mike

Mike
IBA #433

post #4 of 23 Old Jun 7th, 2006, 12:01 pm

I don't own one, but my buddy lets me ride his. It's a nice bike, but too sporty ergonomics for my daily commute. My dream bike would be an LT with a motor like the FJR or the GT... that would be sweet!

I should add, the FJR is pretty good 'bang for the buck'.

Last edited by buddoggin; Jun 7th, 2006 at 12:08 pm.
post #5 of 23 Old Jun 7th, 2006, 2:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddoggin
I don't own one, but my buddy lets me ride his. It's a nice bike, but too sporty ergonomics for my daily commute. My dream bike would be an LT with a motor like the FJR or the GT... that would be sweet!

I should add, the FJR is pretty good 'bang for the buck'.
I concur with buddogin. I have ridden an FJR. It is a hoot in relatively small doses but not my idea of a touring bike in the realm of the R1150RT or especially the R1200RT. The paddle shifter is a very nice touch! I haven't ridden an '06 model FJR so cannot help with whether or not Yamaha has really corrected the heat or the alternator capacity problem(s).
post #6 of 23 Old Jun 7th, 2006, 2:49 pm

I used to own an 03 non abs FJR. Nice bike, did a fair bit of touring on it, two up with loads of luggage.

For:- Nice and light, fast, loads of power in any gear, acceleration that brings that stupid grin on your face, comfortable enough for all day riding. Battery failed regularly and on my earlier model was a nightmare to get at.

Against:- Only 5 gears, desperately needs that 6th one and has the power to handle it. Paint is as soft as chocolate, and very easily marked and scratched.
General finish not up to salt on the roads. Rear brake on mine was like a switch, either on or off, scary.

Would I buy another one? Not at '06 prices, quite happy with my LT now, although it's quite a different animal altogether.

FJR is a good all rounder and up for most things that you might ask of it.
post #7 of 23 Old Jun 7th, 2006, 3:45 pm

I bought an '06 FRJ and sold it already with a couple hundred miles on it. For a bike that's supposed to be a "sport-tourer", for me they stopped at sport and forgot the tourer. My hands got numb riding it more than a little while and my wife got spoiled when we test drove the LT. The bike itself was very nice, very strong motor and brakes, just not for me.

My thought originally was to have this "interim" bike (FJR) until the "new" LT came out with a different motor. But after riding it, I decided to move straight to the LT now. Life is short, why ride something you don't love. I should be picking up my '06 LT this weekend hopefully.
post #8 of 23 Old Jun 7th, 2006, 4:58 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniemuth
and my wife got spoiled when we test drove the LT.
Indeed. Exactly why I will be keeping the LT. My intention is to use the FJR as a solo LD rally bike.
Quote:
I should be picking up my '06 LT this weekend hopefully.
I am sure you will like the LT. It is a fine touring bike. Good luck with it.

Mike
IBA #433
post #9 of 23 Old Jun 7th, 2006, 5:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjac
Indeed. Exactly why I will be keeping the LT. My intention is to use the FJR as a solo LD rally bike.
Lots of people use them as LD rally bikes. When I was shopping bikes last, I compared the FJR and ST1300. For my needs, the ST1300 was better suited. I didn't care for the lack of wind/weather protection on the FJR, it was more sport oriented in it's seating position, lacked in alternator capacity, and coming from large displacement sportbikes, it didn't have the low end grunt that the ST's V-4 puts out. The FJR has more overall horsepower and torque, but you have to ring it out of it, not like I was accustomed to coming off a Hayabusa.

Just my experience with the two bikes, and probably not the same as anyone elses. I would suggest getting a test ride on one if at all possible ... that was what I needed in order to make up my mind.
post #10 of 23 Old Jun 7th, 2006, 7:20 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I owned an '01 LT and put about 36k miles on it including several SS1Ks and a BBG.

I have had my '06 FJR for a great big 800 miles now but I'll try to answer your original question.

I find the FJR to be a fantastic bike for me. At 43 y/o, 6', 210 lbs, I'm no sport bike rider. I was afraid the ergos would be too sporty for me. Turns out to not be the case at all. The riding position is almost perfect and Doug H. is making risers that will make it perfect. I was also shocked to find that the wind protection is right in line with that of the LT which is amazing given the smaller foot print of the windshield and fairing.

I am amazed at how well the OEM seat and windshield work. My longest ride without stoping has been a single tank of fuel (240 miles) but I had no issues with the seat and the windshield is great.

The '06 has resolved the heat issue and the fit and finish are first rate.

Given the lower entry cost, cheaper maintenance, better dealer network, no servo brakes, and KILLER motor and handling, I highly recommend it!

Todd R.
Grapevine, TX USA

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"You will now be thrown into the Obamaucracy. In his belly you will find a new definition of pain and suffering as you are slowly taxed to death over the next four years."
post #11 of 23 Old Jun 7th, 2006, 8:39 pm

Exclamation Warrenty?

FJR one year. ST1300 Honda 3 Years. No Brainer.....

Craig Hutchison
02 Pac Blue (Aka Blue Ox)
34 14 12.63 N
119 01 21.64 W

Why coast through Life when you can Corner it.
post #12 of 23 Old Jun 7th, 2006, 8:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomadman

I would never let the length of a warranty decide which bike I would buy.
post #13 of 23 Old Jun 7th, 2006, 9:06 pm

> Snip>
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhd
I owned an '01 LT and put about 36k miles on it including several SS1Ks and a BBG.

Given the lower entry cost, cheaper maintenance, better dealer network, no servo brakes, and KILLER motor and handling, I highly recommend it!
Agree, For many this is te Bike.It all depends on th requirements of the rider. My profile suggests this model. But if the expense was equil I would choose the BM and could be making a Mistake. Good luck with the FJR !

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #14 of 23 Old Jun 7th, 2006, 9:25 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhd
At 43 y/o, 6', 210 lbs, I'm no sport bike rider. I was afraid the ergos would be too sporty for me. Turns out to not be the case at all. The riding position is almost perfect and Doug H. is making risers that will make it perfect. I was also shocked to find that the wind protection is right in line with that of the LT which is amazing given the smaller foot print of the windshield and fairing.
I had the opportunity to sit on an 06 in Hyder AK that was fitted with a lowered custom seat from Rich's custom sets and boy did it feel good. I am 6'2" and fortunately for me on this bike my height is in my torso (and a bit older ) and certainly didn't need the low seat but otherwise the stock ergos re: footpegs and bars were spot on for me.

Quote:
I am amazed at how well the OEM seat and windshield work. My longest ride without stoping has been a single tank of fuel (240 miles) but I had no issues with the seat and the windshield is great.
I also rode a older bike (04?) up there and while it wasnt as long as your ride my experience mirrors yours.

Quote:

Yep, I just talked myself into it. Thanks your comments.
I suppose its like the old saying goes, the bike spoke to me.

Mike
IBA #433
post #15 of 23 Old Jun 7th, 2006, 9:28 pm

I think you'll be happy with it. I have it's cousin, the 06 FZ1 (think naked R1) and love it!!!
post #16 of 23 Old Jun 7th, 2006, 9:36 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomadman
Ahem, some of us ride over the mile limit long before the warranty period expires.
And if one was so inclined a 48 month extended warranty from Yamaha is $698, considerably less than other marque brands..........

Mike
IBA #433
post #17 of 23 Old Jun 8th, 2006, 12:17 am

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddoggin
I would never let the length of a warranty decide which bike I would buy.
AMEN!!!
post #18 of 23 Old Jun 8th, 2006, 8:14 am

Mike,
I have an 02 LT and an 05 FJR. I love both bikes. The LT for 2up riding primarily
and the FJR when riding alone.
The FJR fits me, I love it. Larger wind shield, different seat, throttle lock and bar backs are the primary modifications I've made. The engine is sweet! I've got 25,000 mi. on it now and all I have done is change the oil a few times and spoon on some tires. Just got back from Elkhart Lake and the Superbike races and there were a ton of FJR's up there. Good luck with your decision, It's a nice problem to have, trying to decide what bike to buy.

DCH
post #19 of 23 Old Jun 8th, 2006, 8:37 am

Just My Take

I still have my FJR, and intend to keep it for now. I moved from an LT to the GT, but there are some (for me) important differences between the two bikes.

Yamaha has solved the heat management problem on the '06, so the 'fix' that many of us owners did on the pre-06s is not necessary. The FJR for me makes a good LD, one-up tourer. I have a taller Cee Bailey's windshield and Sargent seat on mine (more comfortable than stock, which was WAY more comfortable than the stock GT seat), and I think the bike so equipped provides fairly good weather protection. The performance of the bike is close to the GT, but not quite on par (YMMV) because of the suspension and options available on the GT which are not available on the FJR. I also added a BrakeAway throttle lock, risers to completely relieve the pressure on my hands, and highway pegs, all of which makes it about as good a tourer as you can get with a bike as sporty as this one.

You can also get an extended warranty backed by Yamaha (YES) at a fairly reasonable cost. I really don't believe that you can go wrong with an FJR; it's an excellent bike.

The Touring Professor

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2007 Honda Gold Wing
2004 Honda Rune
1999 H-D Dyna-Glide Conv.
1996 Porsche 993 Turbo
1991 Acura NSX

Gone But Not Forgotten:

2006 K1200GT
2005 Triumph Rocket
2001 K1200LT
2002 K1200LT
2003 Hayabusa
2002 1800 VTX
1999 HD Sportster
1988 HD Softail Custom
1975 Yamaha 100cc
post #20 of 23 Old Jun 9th, 2006, 12:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjac
Ahem, some of us ride over the mile limit long before the warranty period expires.
And if one was so inclined a 48 month extended warranty from Yamaha is $698, considerably less than other marque brands..........
Honda's warranty is 3 years, unlimited mileage. I extended my factory warranty to 7 years, unlimited mileage for $400.

The problem I have, is finding a Honda shop to can reasonably service the ST1300. While Honda dealerships are everywhere, finding a mechanic who knows what an ST1300 is can be quite a challenge. I live in Dallas, but the only Honda mechanic I've found who I would let service my bike is down in Houston.
post #21 of 23 Old Jun 9th, 2006, 12:00 pm

Got both in my garage!

Mike,

To reply to your original post, I do have both in the garage. The LT is mine, the FJR is the wife's. As a consequence I get to ride the FJR as much as I want (when she's not on it).

I'm not sure I can add much more than what others have already stated, but I can add my personal impressions.

Let me start by saying the LT is definitely my choice for LD riding. It is more comfortable, and just consumes the miles. While these bikes serve a similar purpose, they really are two different tools for the job.

The FJR is way, way fun to ride! Maybe too fun. It's not only rider friendly, it's rider seductive. It loves triple digit speeds and seem to creep up there if I don't keep an eye on the speedo. Speaking of the speedo, the FJR has one of the most accurate ones i've ever seen on any vehicle. It is spot on with the GPS (unlike my LT which is about 8% off).

I've decided that riding the FJR is bad for my health. Every time I get on it, all that power, handling, and braking capability just goes to my head. What's the saying... "power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely." This phrase describes my relationship with my wife's FJR. Five minute after I get on it, the power, handling and braking ability gets me to thinking I can do ANYTHING! Before I know it, I catch myself doing JUST STUPID STUFF! ... and I can't seem to stop myself. As a result, I have banned myself from the FJR (except when I'm feeling spunky!) Fortunately my wife is much more mature, and exhibits greater self control.

As for LD riding, as I said, the LT is the king! I've ridden about 100 miles non-stop on the FJR, and that's about all I want. Anything longer than that and I will want to be on the LT. Conversely, my wife rides tankful-to-tankful without a problem. Of course we have set the bike up for her with barbacks, a Russell Day Long seat, hiway pegs, etc. The ergo's are set for her, not for me, so I'm sure she finds it more comfortable than I do.

Speaking of tankful, both bikes have about the same range which is really nice for riding together. We both need gas about the same time. The FJR has a slightly larger tank (6.6 FJR to 6.3 LT), but the LT gets slightly better mileage.

The only real downer of the FJR is heat management that I understand is fixed on the 06 models. This is only a burden during the summer months, and it becomes a highly desired feature in the winter months (we do ride year round). My wife has also complained about not having a true cruise control. I did install ThrottleMeister bar ends, but this just locks the throttle in one position, and still requires frequent adjustment.

In summary, the FJR is fun to ride, but the LT is my number one bike. I may ad bikes to the collection, but I can't think of anything that would replace my LT... except maybe another LT!

Bill B

2000 K1200LTC - Mighty Matilda
2003 KLR650

There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #22 of 23 Old Jun 11th, 2006, 8:31 am

same boat

Hey Mike,
We're in pretty much thinking the same thing - I started contemplating an FJR last year, and I put my $500 down on an FJR a few months back. I'm now just waiting for it to arrive (hopefully in the next week or two) I've really enjoyed the 20,000+ miles I've put on my LT over the past couple summers, and I just returned from a 6 day, 3,600 mile ride out from MN to Colorado and New Mexico. Lot's of peg-scraping roads, and while the LT was fun, I could only imgine how much more fun the mountain/canyon roads would have been on an FJR. Of course the 1,000 miles between Minneapolis and the mountains were made much more comfortable on the LT than it would have been on the FJR.

I spent time on the FJR boards over the past year as well, and last fall I got the chance to ride an '05 - I loved the way it handled, and while I don't expect it to be the long-distance touring champ as the LT is, it was sooo much fun to ride, that I just had to put in an order for one. I haven't decided if I'm going to sell the LT. (The summer in Minnesota is the best time, and since I'll have a new "toy" in the FJR, I don't know how much riding of the LT I'll be doing) But if I do sell the LT, it would only be until BMW comes out with a newly revised LT. (hopefully '07 or 08?).... Or maybe I'll just hang on to the '03 LT. decisions, decisions....

There are some great options out there - GT, RT, RS the Honda ST, all of which I've riden, and the FRJ just seemed to be the one for me for a second bike. The great thing is that while each of us have an opinion, at the end of the day, the only opinion that matters is yours. The bike that is right for you, is the right bike.

You will have to make sure to let us know what you decide - I know we all learn from others, that's what makes this a great forum.

Scott
post #23 of 23 Old Jun 11th, 2006, 9:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
Joe, please don't make a habit of being helpful, it will just confuse us!

OH come now, it's *way* to late for that!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in