Riding Gear for Big People - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jun 6th, 2006, 11:05 am Thread Starter

Riding Gear for Big People

OK guys, I'm coming off a Harley and used to riding T-shirt, jeans, and helmet. I am 6' 4" and 310 lbs. Waist 46-48 and jacket 56-58. Where do you find summer gear, especially pants. I know Harley is starting to make some summer stuff, but the price is crazy. I did spend the money on a FXRG jacket, but it is too heavy for summer riding.

"Lately it occurs to me, what a long strange trip it's been." Jerry Garcia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jun 6th, 2006, 11:21 am
Super Moderator

Cycleport makes suits for all sizes, and do a great job for large folks. I'm a big guy (although I'm getting smaller), being 6'3" and 325 at my largest. I bought 2 suits from them (Ultra II Kevlar and Ultra II Air Mesh) and didn't require any customization other than shortening the legs on the Kevlar suit.

www.motoport.com is their website, check them out.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old Jun 6th, 2006, 11:58 am

Hey Crawler, nice to see some other "well endowed" folks into the riding gear. I'm 6'1" and about 305 if I have a bowl of cornflakes and a grapefruit (no sugar on it) for breakfast, so we're pretty close.I've just finished doing an exhaustive search for some decent gear, bought an Aerostitch suit, the largest one they make + the side gussets, tried some RevIt gear, First Gear etc.
Here's what I found and I think you'll find it helpful.
Aerostitch - AWESOME quality suit IMO. However, sizes are not there. I could put it on and it fit well around me, but the distance from my crotch to my shoulders would not allow me to bend. Also, the thighs on the Aerostitch were very tight around my legs. When I called the company, they were not interested AT ALL in helping me find a solution SO, that's out. Which sucks actually because to me they make the best solution.
First Gear - I have a nice jacket I ride with all the time. It's a 4X and fits well, is relatively water resistant (ask the guys at the tech session last weekend! ) and has good features like armor, venting and pockets. It's a true 3 season jacket, with it being too warm for summer. They don't make pants to wear with the jacket however. (Why?)
So Here's what I use.
Cold weather all around use: First Gear Jacket + Joe Rocket Ballistic Pants,
Warm weather: Joe Rocket Phoenix Jacket and pants. I think you'll really like their prices as well.

Hope you and other larger folks find this helpfull.

Kevin

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)

post #4 of 10 Old Jun 6th, 2006, 2:00 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Kevin. That was what I was looking for. Just curious, have you had to modify the LT(seat, pegs, etc) to fit your size better? I test rode one for about 30 miles and found it pretty comfy, but could stand having the seat moved back an inch or so.

post #5 of 10 Old Jun 6th, 2006, 3:51 pm

I also have the girth problem. 6'1' 270lbs. I bought a Belstaff from Britishmotorcyclegear.com It is a xxxxl but is really only a three season jacket. BMG is great to deal with. Nice bunch of guys. i met them at the NYC International MC show. My wife and I both bought gear from them. However, i kept my Stich pants. I liked the fit on the Darien Pants better. I ebayed a Stich Darien Jacket a few months ago becuase I liked the Belstaff better. I need to get some summer gear though. Oh well. I liked the look of the FIrst Gear stuff, looked top quality.

Jim

Hey Kevin enjoy your trip.

2005 R1200GS (to be named)

2005 K1200LT Gretchen traded in for GS

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Blog

Last edited by Lzyellodog; Jun 6th, 2006 at 4:58 pm.
post #6 of 10 Old Jun 6th, 2006, 4:35 pm

First Gear and Joe Rocket for us larger sized folk.

Joel
'02 K1200LTC
"Mauve Mile-Eater"
post #7 of 10 Old Jun 6th, 2006, 5:51 pm Thread Starter

Anybody try Firstgear HT Air overpants? Can these be worn over shorts?

post #8 of 10 Old Jun 6th, 2006, 8:02 pm

Hey Crawler,
The major modification I really needed was to have the seat made firmer. With the stock seat after the foam warmed up (10 mins) I was literally sitting on the frame rails and could only take about 2 hours at a time and no more than about 6 hours a day or so max. I'm testing out a new Kontour seat right now, can't give you a full report yet as the bikes been "in the shop" getting all kinds of stuff done to it to get ready for my trip this week. By the way, whatever LT you get, get the HID headlight at least for the low beam - period. It needs it.
I think if you are able to do so, look into getting a new passenger and driver seat made and have them add a little more room to it front to back. I have the same problem you have, but am "just" able to get comfy front to back, but there's a definite hot spot at the back as you mention. Rick Mayer, Cee Bailey etc. seem to have the ability with theirs to add distance to the front to back, while the Kontour looks basically stock which is what I wanted as my SO is totally comfy on her seat and I like the look of the stock setup. Truthfully I don't know if I'm ever going to be "pain free" as it's just a lot of PSI when you're talking guys our size on a seat you can still put your legs down with. If you want more feedback on the Kontour I'll be back in about 2 weeks and by then will have close to 5 or 6k on it so will know if it's the cats heinie or not.

THANKS JIM! If you are playing hookie on Thursday let me know and maybe you could ride out for a while with me - maybe we could stop off in Danbury on the way!

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #9 of 10 Old Jun 6th, 2006, 8:11 pm

I'd love to but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1
Hey Crawler,
The major modification I really needed was to have the seat made firmer. With the stock seat after the foam warmed up (10 mins) I was literally sitting on the frame rails and could only take about 2 hours at a time and no more than about 6 hours a day or so max. I'm testing out a new Kontour seat right now, can't give you a full report yet as the bikes been "in the shop" getting all kinds of stuff done to it to get ready for my trip this week. By the way, whatever LT you get, get the HID headlight at least for the low beam - period. It needs it.
I think if you are able to do so, look into getting a new passenger and driver seat made and have them add a little more room to it front to back. I have the same problem you have, but am "just" able to get comfy front to back, but there's a definite hot spot at the back as you mention. Rick Mayer, Cee Bailey etc. seem to have the ability with theirs to add distance to the front to back, while the Kontour looks basically stock which is what I wanted as my SO is totally comfy on her seat and I like the look of the stock setup. Truthfully I don't know if I'm ever going to be "pain free" as it's just a lot of PSI when you're talking guys our size on a seat you can still put your legs down with. If you want more feedback on the Kontour I'll be back in about 2 weeks and by then will have close to 5 or 6k on it so will know if it's the cats heinie or not.

THANKS JIM! If you are playing hookie on Thursday let me know and maybe you could ride out for a while with me - maybe we could stop off in Danbury on the way!

...i will be in Tallahassee, FL. All i can say is give em hell. Ride Safe and PM me when you get back maybe we could hook with the SO's for a ride.

Jim

2005 R1200GS (to be named)

2005 K1200LT Gretchen traded in for GS

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #10 of 10 Old Jun 6th, 2006, 9:00 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1
Hey Crawler,

Thanks again Kevin. I will definitely get the HID. Once I get the bike and ride more than 30 miles I will know what exactly needs to be done to the seat. Have a great trip and let us know how that new seat works out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in