How many have actually HIT a deer? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 58 Old Jun 5th, 2006, 12:22 pm Thread Starter

Cool How many have actually HIT a deer?

Thinkin about gettin some t-shirts or something made..(maybe undershorts with embroidered skid marks)...

You know...kinda like us Year Round Riders!

Only this is a more special club in that we have SURVIVED a deer strike. We have earned our right to put a road-kill decal on the side of the tank just like WWII pilots! So, it is TIME we all stood up and proudly announced our status in life!!!

BTW, hitting a deer means physically touching it with your body part or a part of your motorcycle...beemer or otherwise. Blood, guts and sh*t will earn you special designation. So will multiple strikes!

I will be first:

Date: April 11, 2006
Critter hit: Deer
Speed: 50mph
Blood, guts, etc? YES
Damage to Bike? YES, left mirror $240
Critter status? DEAD, dammit
Rider status? Happy as hell.

Who's next?

Last edited by hawg; Jun 5th, 2006 at 12:37 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 Old Jun 5th, 2006, 1:56 pm

May have to do the whole category thing. Call 'em "Critter Cruncher" or some such T-shirts and have graphics for: Rodent, Prairie Goat, Deer (white tail or Mulie), Elk, Moose, Bear, Coyote (do domestic critters count? dogs 'n cats?. Cows?)

May need a whole 'nuther realm for winged critters too. Last years Turkey Buzzard impacts were fatal to several. But I've read stories of folks 'winging' birds and ride'n on. Some of 'em cleaner than others.

Tate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 58 Old Jun 5th, 2006, 2:49 pm

Do skunks count? The bike stunk for a week. No damage though.

2005 R1200GS (to be named)

2005 K1200LT Gretchen traded in for GS

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #4 of 58 Old Jun 5th, 2006, 3:29 pm

I had an '86 Ford pick-em-up truck that I treated like my favorite child. Last winter I hit two horned rats, one on a Monday and one the very next day which sent my beloved truck to the junk yard. Never hit one on my LT, thank goodness.

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC
post #5 of 58 Old Jun 5th, 2006, 5:33 pm Thread Starter

Talking

I-ite!!!

Let's start a list for those who have HIT a deer with a motorcycle:

1. Hawg

Add your name to the list and keep it going....
post #6 of 58 Old Jun 5th, 2006, 5:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawg
I-ite!!!

1. Hawg

Naw that'd be too easy for ya, I'm gonna raise the stakes

Let's start a list for those who have HIT an Elk with a motorcycle:

1. Hans & Pat

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #7 of 58 Old Jun 5th, 2006, 6:26 pm

I'll see your elk, and raise you a MOOSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
Naw that'd be too easy for ya, I'm gonna raise the stakes

Let's start a list for those who have HIT an Elk with a motorcycle:

1. Hans & Pat
2 Mark Conlogue

1978, late March. I was in College in Northern Maine, headed home after a night 7-10pm class on my Yamaha XS-750 triple. It was a balmy 36 degrees, and ground fog. I crested a hill, and descended into a low bog area. speed limit was 50, and I had slowed to 45 or so. Out of the fog, I saw a shape of a freakin moose, just standing in the road (crossways of course). I had dual disk in the front, and single disk in the rear (where the hell was the BMW abs then??)

I locked the rear wheel, and slid a bit sideways. The moose (all 2,000 + pounds of him) looked over at me kinda casual like..) and i smacked his lower rear legs with the right hand mirror, which promptly broke off, along with most of my front brake lever.

I did get stopped before I went into the water, and the moose was still just standing there looking at me.

So, there I was, on the wrong side of the road, the bike in 5th gear, and stalled, and the damned moose decides to come take a closer look.

screw that!! I banged back into first gear in record time, and bailed. the last I saw of him, was the 25 MPH trot alongside me while I was still in first gear.

Nope, I don't drive after dark on the bike NO MORE!!!

Mark Conlogue
MCSE, MCT
CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker)
CBCP

I take Life with a grain of salt......and a slice of lime and a shot of Tequila

20 grand & 2K miles don't make you a biker

I COULD TELL THEY WERE BIKERS,
IT SAID "LIVE TO RIDE" ON THEIR TRAILER
post #8 of 58 Old Jun 5th, 2006, 6:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotter
May need a whole 'nuther realm for winged critters too. Last years Turkey Buzzard impacts were fatal to several. But I've read stories of folks 'winging' birds and ride'n on. Some of 'em cleaner than others.
Yep - this is the 5th week since I hit a Wild Turkey, and I'm still waiting to get my bike back (hopefully this week!).

Still glad it didn't flap a second sooner or a foot higher - wouldn't have been pretty.

Yarko
'05 Dark Gray LT

post #9 of 58 Old Jun 5th, 2006, 6:53 pm

Lightweights, all.

Last year I hit a full-size deer broadside on my R1100S doing about 80mph in Eastern Oregon. Three weeks in the hospital, mucho recovery. BMW was reduced to toothpicks.

Funny, that was my second deer. A year earlier I totalled my Ducati hitting a small deer going about 50 around a turn. She smashed the radiator into the motor, went under and thru the back wheel and squirted out the back taking the taillight with her to heaven. I didn't drop the bike that time.

My new bike license plate is DS III.

pg

Ducati Designs
post #10 of 58 Old Jun 5th, 2006, 7:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mconlogue
2 Mark Conlogue

1978, late March. I was in College in Northern Maine, headed home after a night 7-10pm class on my Yamaha XS-750 triple. It was a balmy 36 degrees, and ground fog. I crested a hill, and descended into a low bog area. speed limit was 50, and I had slowed to 45 or so. Out of the fog, I saw a shape of a freakin moose, just standing in the road (crossways of course). I had dual disk in the front, and single disk in the rear (where the hell was the BMW abs then??)

I locked the rear wheel, and slid a bit sideways. The moose (all 2,000 + pounds of him) looked over at me kinda casual like..) and i smacked his lower rear legs with the right hand mirror, which promptly broke off, along with most of my front brake lever.

I did get stopped before I went into the water, and the moose was still just standing there looking at me.

So, there I was, on the wrong side of the road, the bike in 5th gear, and stalled, and the damned moose decides to come take a closer look.

screw that!! I banged back into first gear in record time, and bailed. the last I saw of him, was the 25 MPH trot alongside me while I was still in first gear.

Nope, I don't drive after dark on the bike NO MORE!!!
3. John Pretti 1997 totalled a K100RS
post #11 of 58 Old Jun 5th, 2006, 7:59 pm

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman587
3. John Pretti 1997 totalled a K100RS

Mark Conlogue
MCSE, MCT
CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker)
CBCP

I take Life with a grain of salt......and a slice of lime and a shot of Tequila

20 grand & 2K miles don't make you a biker

I COULD TELL THEY WERE BIKERS,
IT SAID "LIVE TO RIDE" ON THEIR TRAILER
post #12 of 58 Old Jun 5th, 2006, 8:43 pm

Smile I'm in

Count me in, Hwy 136 in the georgia mountians. 55 mph and the deer's head hit the headlight. Deer spun around and landed in the highway dead as a door nail. Bllod coming out of his mouth and no guts anywhere. Did not go down as 1000+ pounds of energy was too much for him. 5500 dollars too fix and two months without the bike. Happened in the middle of the summer too. But all is well now.

Quote:
Thinkin about gettin some t-shirts or something made..(maybe undershorts with embroidered skid marks)...

You know...kinda like us Year Round Riders!

Only this is a more special club in that we have SURVIVED a deer strike. We have earned our right to put a road-kill decal on the side of the tank just like WWII pilots! So, it is TIME we all stood up and proudly announced our status in life!!!

BTW, hitting a deer means physically touching it with your body part or a part of your motorcycle...beemer or otherwise. Blood, guts and sh*t will earn you special designation. So will multiple strikes!

I will be first:

Date: April 11, 2006
Critter hit: Deer
Speed: 50mph
Blood, guts, etc? YES
Damage to Bike? YES, left mirror $240
Critter status? DEAD, dammit
Rider status? Happy as hell.

Who's next?

looking around for a possible replacement

2001 K1200 LTC Mauve (Hi-Way Star) may she rest in peace!

CCR'2001 Hotsprings, AR., Sante Fe, NM., Gatlinberg, TN.
Breckinridge, CO., Grand Teton Nat. Prk, WY.
Chateau Elan, GA., Tan-a-Tar-A missed it!
post #13 of 58 Old Jun 5th, 2006, 9:17 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Did It Have To Be A Live Hit?

Coming into Missoula Montana after CCR last Labor Day. It was at 10:30 at night with lots of deer grazing on the shoulders. Doing 70mph I decided to follow a Knight Transportation truck about 5 seconds back on the left side of center in the lane. Pauline was snoozing on the back. Pink Floyd on the iPod was keeping me company. The truck made an abrupt left-right-left taking up a lane-and-a-half when deer carcass came at us in multiple pieces from under the trailer. We hit the main body parts head-on and the LT and I did a modified nacnac and Pauline awoke with a startled What Was That! The smell was a combo of Venison and other entrails roasting on the exhaust. Couldn't wait to give her a wash-down. Does this count?

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 68k (Totaled! 8/11/19 Deer strike)

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #14 of 58 Old Jun 5th, 2006, 9:28 pm

Mark says
I'll see your elk, and raise you a MOOSE

Dang, we gots all kinda critter crunchers on this board,
All you Harley boys listening, these Beemer boys are baaad-ass
an we ain't even heard from the boys down under or the dark continent yet,
come-on what else ya got? Elephants, Giraffes?

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer

post #15 of 58 Old Jun 6th, 2006, 1:01 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgeller
Last year I hit a full-size deer broadside on my R1100S doing about 80mph in Eastern Oregon.
I still think about that one, Paul. We met some friends of yours while taking the obligatory Lolo pass picture, and they mentioned they were meeting you in Montana. At that point none of us knew that you were already in the hospital.

Glad you've got a sense of humor about it all.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #16 of 58 Old Jun 6th, 2006, 1:03 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieA
The truck made an abrupt left-right-left taking up a lane-and-a-half when deer carcass came at us in multiple pieces from under the trailer.
I'd say that counts, as it sounds like the deer was still warm.

Fortunately I'm still not qualified for this list, unless we're counting birds.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #17 of 58 Old Jun 6th, 2006, 5:00 am

This officer hit a cow with a squad car.

Patrolman James Archuleta
New Mexico State Police
New Mexico
End of Watch: Sunday, June 4, 2006

Biographical Info
Tour of Duty: 2 years
Badge Number: 382

Incident Details
Cause of Death: Automobile accident
Date of Incident: Sunday, June 4, 2006
Weapon Used: Not available
Suspect Info: Not available

Patrolman James Archuleta was killed in an automobile accident when his patrol car struck a cow on US 84 near Espanola, New Mexico, at approximately 11:00 pm.

He was responding to a local hospital to investigate a shooting when the accident occurred. The impact caused his patrol car to overturn and he was ejected from the vehicle.

Patrolman Archuleta was a member of the US Marine Corps Reserves and had served with the New Mexico State Police for 2 years. He is survived by his daughter, son, and fiancee.

Agency Contact Information
New Mexico State Police
PO Box 1628
Santa Fe, NM 87501

Phone: (805) 827-9219

* Please contact the agency for funeral information

» View this officer's Reflections » Leave a Reflection
» List all officers from this agency » Update this memorial
» Printer friendly view
post #18 of 58 Old Jun 6th, 2006, 6:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieA
Coming into Missoula Montana after CCR last Labor Day. It was at 10:30 at night with lots of deer grazing on the shoulders. Doing 70mph I decided to follow a Knight Transportation truck about 5 seconds back on the left side of center in the lane. Pauline was snoozing on the back. Pink Floyd on the iPod was keeping me company. The truck made an abrupt left-right-left taking up a lane-and-a-half when deer carcass came at us in multiple pieces from under the trailer. We hit the main body parts head-on and the LT and I did a modified nacnac and Pauline awoke with a startled What Was That! The smell was a combo of Venison and other entrails roasting on the exhaust. Couldn't wait to give her a wash-down. Does this count?
Dang, me too. Was down in Alabama a few years ago and was behind a truck and pulled out to pass him. The second I pulled out I see a deer carcass about five feet in front of me - nothing I could do. I briefly hit the brakes and then figured I wasn't going to stop, so I clenched every muscle and hit the throttle. I bumped over the deer and wobbled a bit, but then it was over like nothing had happened and I was happily cruising down the road. Scared the crap outta me, but no damage to the bike. Yeah, the deer had probably been tenderized by a few trucks before I got to it, but was still a bump or two. I wouldn't want to do it again & I sure wouldn't want to hit one still standing.

post #19 of 58 Old Jun 6th, 2006, 7:47 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbrew
Dang, me too. Was down in Alabama a few years ago and was behind a truck and pulled out to pass him. The second I pulled out I see a deer carcass about five feet in front of me - nothing I could do. I briefly hit the brakes and then figured I wasn't going to stop, so I clenched every muscle and hit the throttle. I bumped over the deer and wobbled a bit, but then it was over like nothing had happened and I was happily cruising down the road. Scared the crap outta me, but no damage to the bike. Yeah, the deer had probably been tenderized by a few trucks before I got to it, but was still a bump or two. I wouldn't want to do it again & I sure wouldn't want to hit one still standing.

So, you and ME are certified deer jumpers?????!!!!
post #20 of 58 Old Jun 6th, 2006, 8:19 am

Twice in less than a year - Once on bike once in Mini Cooper. Wife was aboard both times and didn't see either deer.

Bike - Near Lasen National Park in Northern California heading to a bike show. Saw deer running across road, hit brakes, hit deer - Wife says "What was that" $2,500 in plastic damage. We stayed upright and continued onto bike show after picking up pieces. A friend used the cracked plastic packed with deer fur as a draw at the bike show. The kids at the school loved it.
Car - Heading into the town of Raymond Washington and hear a thump - look in the mirror and see a couple of deer getting up. Seems that a dog had chased them down a ridge and into our moving car - about $1300 in damage. The only time we saw them was in the rear view mirror. They can be real quick!

Steve
Olympia, WA
post #21 of 58 Old Jun 6th, 2006, 7:26 pm

Add me to the list. No damage to anyone or anything but he thumped me twice and I had some deer snot and hair to show for it. Plus those four little wierd scratches in my chrome.

Scott

2000 Canyon Red LTC
"Arizona"
"You are what you are and you ain't what you ain't."
post #22 of 58 Old Jun 6th, 2006, 8:36 pm

buzzard

Ovalo, TX. 70 mph, alone, helmet, golf shirt, levis, boots, no gloves (too hot). Buzzard flying low, crossed path left to right, braked, buzzard hit right handle bar of 2002 gold wing. Totaled bike, broke collar bone, bad road rash on top half of body and hands, helmet saved life. Buzzard apparently kept going. Lots of money spent, even with medical insurance and collision coverage for gold wing (deductibles, co pays, etc). Lessons: Bought better braking machine (1200LT), always wear protective jacket and gloves along with boots and levis (don't care how hot), hydrocodone is a wonder drug. Probably need protective pants as well, but the levis did well.
post #23 of 58 Old Jun 6th, 2006, 8:51 pm

Cool How about being hit by a deer. She hit me!

Quote:
I-ite!!!

1. Hawg

I had a doe hit me in the side last fall while running from Hurricane Rita. It damn near knocked me off the bike. All the screws loosened up a bit, two tabs broken, and a small crack in the vent that you look into to check the oil.
That was where she decided to stick her now. When I looked the next morning, I had blood, hair, and either spit or snot. The deer brushed by my leg just hard Rite to get my attention. The back wheel got a loose and I was really afraid I was going down. I could see myself run over by the innumerable other idiots out that night on 59. I got lucky, settled the bike down and continued to the next town.
Oh, I wasn't sleepy anymore either. I had been, but the deer cured that. I hate to seem vindictive, but I hope the beetch died.

Lewis

Lewis

Pasadena, TX

Naturlized Texan after 34 years 'In State'.
BMW 2003LTC
IBA 21743 & 23281
AMA 278337
BMWOA 26977
Corvette National Museum Life Member 941
ARRL Life Member
post #24 of 58 Old Jun 6th, 2006, 11:33 pm

Exclamation Hit big rat with cute eyes

2001 I hit a deer goig about 45. Damn thing ran out of a yard in the middle of the day being chased by dogs. All I saw was movement on my left. I didn't know if it was a kid, dog or what. I tried to swerve behind but caught the deer. The front wheel got yanked hard left. I saw it was a deer as I was ejected over the handle bars and sent for my OH SH*T ride. I sailed about 200 feet and landed on my head and left shoulder. I broke collar bone in2 places, my shoulderblade in 2 place and three ribs. I had two joggers standing over me before i knew what happened. I knew I was busted up. I used a cell phone and called the wife and told her to meet me at the hospital. I thouht I was done riding but by Spring i was ready to try again. So far so good.

I HATE DEER!

Jim Andrews
Woodland, MN
2003 K1200 LTE
2014 Honda NC700X DCT
2010 Aspen Classic Pop Up Camper
post #25 of 58 Old Jun 7th, 2006, 9:09 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanMan
Add me to the list. No damage to anyone or anything but he thumped me twice and I had some deer snot and hair to show for it. Plus those four little wierd scratches in my chrome.

Scott

Them near misses are tough on the ol undershorts,too, huh???

Here's one of my posts from sometime ago about a near miss:

"Hawgs and..Bull!

Well,
Just remembered my last LD trip up the east coast with my riding buddy, Scott. We rode to Pittsburg for a wedding and back on, not LT's, but our HD's...this was before the age of enlightenment.

Anyway, my riding buddy and I set off for the wedding...him on a Road King, me on my Dyna Convertible. Great fun! The ride up from Atlanta was really nice the first day riding around the verdant foothills of the Smokies...until we got just above Johnson City. As lead, I set the pace through the sweepers and the weather and scenery were perfect until I rounded a curve and saw a KID running left to right across the road in front of me toward a farmhouse! Right BEHIND the kid was the biggest [email protected]#$#@! black bull I ever saw!!!! chasing that kid. That bull was at least 10' tall and all I could do was hit my brakes hard!!!! Stopped about 50 feet in front of that bull who had already stopped, looking confused...... Then, all of a sudden my buddy went right by me trying to stop his Road King...didn't make it and swerved around the bull at about 10mph and crept up the road. The bull was looking both ways, still confused!

He started to run after my buddy and that was when I opened full throttle! Roared around that big bull and opened up about 100 feet before I slowed for my friend, stopped and looked around and that bull was still comin'! Opened the throttle....stalled....finally cranked and burned out of there!!!

Don't know if my brakes were better than his or what...but now that I think about it...if he hadn't gone around the bull and drawn him away...I would have really been stuck...no way could I have turned around!! So, maybe, bad brakes can bring good breaks!!! "
post #26 of 58 Old Jun 7th, 2006, 9:16 am

That's one of the best .......ah....Bull ....stories I've heard.

Just maybe your buddies brakes were fine,
it was the stuff he was sliding in?

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer

post #27 of 58 Old Jun 7th, 2006, 9:42 am

I don't have all the details yet but just last week good friends of mine from Georgia were riding near Jackson Hole Wyoming. Tom was riding a Goldwing 1800, his wife Ginger was out front on her Goldwing trike. Ginger hit a deer broadside that catapulted over her head, taking her windshield wth it and hit Tom full force putting him in the hospital with broken ribs and a broken collar bone.
post #28 of 58 Old Jun 7th, 2006, 9:43 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
That's one of the best .......ah....Bull ....stories I've heard.

Just maybe your buddies brakes were fine,
it was the stuff he was sliding in?

BTW, forgot da graphics, here's da bull!!!!

post #29 of 58 Old Jun 8th, 2006, 6:37 am

Sign me up

Sign me up for the club. Had a doe jump out in front of me, followed by her young fawn. Momma got out of the way in time, but not Bambi. I braked as hard as I could, yet still maintain control in a straight path. I hit the fawn in the hind quater doing about 25 mph. Knocked the little critter right off it's "pegs" as it spun around violently. No damage to the bike and it seemed the fawn was OK too. Although, I bet it had some nice bruises later that day. I think young Bambi was just as shocked as I was. We both looked at each other when it was over...and she scampered away to re-join mom....who stood there watching it all unfold.

Not terribly exciting....no guts, blood, excrement or tufts of hair between my teeth ....but I did hit one....so sign me up for the club.

Cheers, Toolman

I wish I could think of clever things to say in my signature.
post #30 of 58 Old Jun 8th, 2006, 6:56 am

I'm in

Totaled my first '05 LT with only 700 mi. on it in Dec. of '04. At 4:30 in the afternoon going about 45mph on a Florida country road I got T-boned by a deer running at full tilt trying to jump across the road, it hit into the left side of my front wheel. The bike and I cartwheeled about three times according to my two buddies who were riding behind me. Insurance bought me a new LT and paid for some of my 3 day stay in intensive care. My broken bones healed pretty quick, but it took several months to clear out all the cobwebs from my skull fracture. I been riding more than ever but I'm always looking for the next big rat on the move.
post #31 of 58 Old Jun 8th, 2006, 11:55 am

Ran 1 over last year, as it spun across the road after being hit by a car traveling in the opposite direction. No damage, just a big bump in the road.

A few years ago, a doe jumped up onto the road from a ravine and her nose spun the right hand mirror on my Virago. Scared the crap out of me.

Vince Weidig

2000 LT - LandyachT
2005 Ural Patrol
2003 Artic Cat ATV - Horse
Bayliner Cutty Cabin - Anytime
Airstream B190 -
post #32 of 58 Old Jun 8th, 2006, 12:04 pm

Daz OK - seems you slapped the snot outta her.

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #33 of 58 Old Jun 9th, 2006, 9:45 am

I killed a deer with my '99 LT in December 2004. I now have a '05 LT. I did not get hurt, just a sore ankle, arm, shoulder. Totaled a helmet, jacket, riding pants, boots and gloves, though.. OH yeah.. and a cell phone!

Thanks,
Bill Hoch
K1200LT Lt. Yellow
post #34 of 58 Old Jun 9th, 2006, 10:27 am

Hill Country Deer

I comute 50 miles rt in the Texas Hill Country and every day is an adventure. As it get lighter, its not as scary but the rats are still there. Just this morning I spotted one off to the right and then about 10 miles farther, almost hit one that had already been smushed. I'm not even sure it was a deer....wrong color but too big for a dog. Smelled quite rank and very fresh.

Just old, clutchless and clueless
Russ Locke
Lakehills, Texas
post #35 of 58 Old Jun 10th, 2006, 7:07 am

Cool Valkyrie 1 Bambi 0

I nominate this guy for one of your T shirts...may as well give one to the wife device on the back too.

http://lifeisaroad.com/deerkilling.html

Hmmmmmmmm Valkyrie looks like it could do with a bit of a clean....sorta looks like what the BMW front wheel would deteriorate too if you let the brake dust build up...hehhehehehehe

No doubt one could just delete the antler part and add the Skippy pouch if you ride out here during dusk......

cheers

Phill
post #36 of 58 Old Jun 10th, 2006, 9:34 am

Does clipping one with a Motolight count?

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #37 of 58 Old Jun 10th, 2006, 9:22 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Put me on the list as of yesterday, I hit one in eastern Montana. A glancing blow with the right front of the LT blew the little b****** into the weeds so to speak. Plenty of deer hair along and around the boundary between the tip-over wing and upper fairing. I thought I had gotten off with just a broken turn signal lens and a bent tip-over wing, but closer examination today has some fine cracks in the fairing panel at the point of impact, and an assortment of smears down the side. The carcass had a six inch circle of hide ripped off its rear quarter where the LT attempted to rip it a new one.

Motor On ,/'

post #38 of 58 Old Jun 11th, 2006, 3:48 pm Thread Starter

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkersh1
Put me on the list as of yesterday, I hit one in eastern Montana. A glancing blow with the right front of the LT blew the little b****** into the weeds so to speak. Plenty of deer hair along and around the boundary between the tip-over wing and upper fairing. I thought I had gotten off with just a broken turn signal lens and a bent tip-over wing, but closer examination today has some fine cracks in the fairing panel at the point of impact, and an assortment of smears down the side. The carcass had a six inch circle of hide ripped off its rear quarter where the LT attempted to rip it a new one.

Dang, sorry to hear ya joined the club....

You guys keep 'em coming 'cause we gots to get a list together and make this an official club!!!!
post #39 of 58 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 5:27 pm

My wife and I joined the club

On July 4th my wife and I hit a deer just south of Stanley Idaho. The deer just seemed to materialize out of nowhere. Actually the shoulder of the road dropped off sharply about 10 feet down and she just jumped up on the road without checking for traffic.

We were the second bike in a small group when the accident happened, and I can’t tell you exactly what happened because there is about a weeks worth of my memory that doesn’t exist. Everything I know is what I have been told by other people.

My wife spent about 8 hours in emergency with a few broken ribs and broken shoulder blade. I was air lifted to a hospital in Boise and spent the next month there with broken bones and various internal injuries. I am now doing well and going to therapy at home in Utah. The deer didn’t make it to the other side of the ride. Our 2001 LT is history.

Both of us were wearing full-face helmets and complete riding gear, neither of us had any road rash and from the looks of our helmets it would have been much worse.

This is not a club I wanted to join, but I'm thankful I'm here to be a member in this club.

Monte Kartchner
Riverton, Utah
2001 Champagne (Totaled 2006)
post #40 of 58 Old Aug 25th, 2006, 6:51 am
THE Democracy Doctor

Location: We LOVE illegals and Socialists, Sunny, Southern Kommyfornia,
How many have actually HIT a deer?

Has anyone ever hit a deer in SO CA or SO NEV?

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!
post #41 of 58 Old Aug 25th, 2006, 6:53 am
THE Democracy Doctor

Location: We LOVE illegals and Socialists, Sunny, Southern Kommyfornia,
How many have actually HIT a deer?

What, if anything, can you do to avoid hitting a deer?

Reduce speed? Anything else?

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!
post #42 of 58 Old Aug 25th, 2006, 8:09 am

Quote:

Hans ol buddy, The moose story is up near the top but I'm backing your play with the elk story as the best one, since you actually knocked the elk down. A dubious honor perhaps but you earned it.
Buffalo anyone?

Follow your front wheel...
Steve S.

1998 Harley Davidson FLHR-P
1998 BMW R1100RT-P (Black Mariah)
2002 BMW K1200LTE (Bayou Buffalo)

If it rolls, floats, flies or shoots, runs on gasoline or gunpowder, is loud, goes fast, or shoots a big bullet, thus producing Torque or Recoil....It's Cool.

post #43 of 58 Old Aug 25th, 2006, 8:17 am

Glad to here you’re on the road to recovery. What kind/brand of gear were you wearing?

Malcolm McGee
Little Rock, AR
'00 K1200LTC Canyon Red
'09 Kawasaki KLR 650
'96 Bunkhouse
IBA #24557
BMWMOA #117769

post #44 of 58 Old Aug 25th, 2006, 8:35 am

Never a dear, or a deer, but did hit an antelope jackrabbit on my 1000 Honda Hurricane doing 80 miles per hour at night. I'm not talking jackalope, they only exist in Texas , this was Arizona near Florence. These antelope jacks get up to 45 pounds, mine was about 20. I saw the jackrabbit in my headlights crossing left to right in front of me. I went left, he went left. I went right, he went right and at this stage there was no avoiding him. Felt like quite the speedbump, cracked my fairing slightly.

Oh, and I did almost hit an elephant in the Kruger Park in South Africa in a car. They don't allow motorcycles there for obvious reasons. You should have seen the look on the elephant's face, he almost peed himself. I almost did not. How do you almost hit an elephant? I was going around a turn, and he suddenly came out of the thick brush on my left and right in front of the car. I missed him by about a foot. Almost got hit by a rhino too, but I was standing still, and he was coming at me in a real pissed off mood. How fast can a car go in reverse? About 1/2 mph faster than a rhino..

Current rides:
2003 BMW 1200 LT (bought in 2006)

Past rides:
97 Kawasaki ZX11(bought new in 1997, sadly sold in September 2014)
89 Honda Hurricane (sold)
88 Honda Hurricane (traded on an SUV)
86 Kawasaki 1000R (stolen but recovered)
84 Honda 750F (traded on 1000R)
81 Suzuki GSX1100 (sold)
78 Suzuki GS750 (traded on GSX1100)
74 Yamaha RD50 (sold)
post #45 of 58 Old Aug 25th, 2006, 12:48 pm

Hit an Elk Last Sept 3 in Jackson Hole

After last yeas CCR I was taking my daughter to the airport at 5:30AM. Very dark cloudy night with no moon or stas visible. We came over a ridge doing about 40, and the road was blocked with a herd of elk. I almost stopped and was going to stop, but the bull turned and bolted. I hit him in the neck with the LT windshield, left mirror and my face. My daughter had my full face helmet on and I had an open face helmet with safety glasses. The glasses wer pushed into my face and cut from my nose to hairline.

We did not go down, and could not get help, so we rode to the airport and I got treatment. Had the bike fixed and shipped home. I flew home to heal. My daughter was not hurt, and the elk, well I think he is still chasing his herd of cows.

Carl
PATTI 2002 K12000LTC Toscanna Green
NO NAME 1993 FXDWG Red/Dk Red
post #46 of 58 Old Aug 25th, 2006, 12:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod
Glad to here you’re on the road to recovery. What kind/brand of gear were you wearing?
Arai full face helmets, Joe Rocket Phoenix Jackets, and I can't remember the brand but a good pair of leather chaps. Boots and leather gloves.

Monte Kartchner
Riverton, Utah
2001 Champagne (Totaled 2006)
post #47 of 58 Old Aug 25th, 2006, 1:21 pm

..wimpy Brit (we don't have many horned rats in the UK) but, my road kill list so far is a horse that landed on the roof of my old Ford Escort in 1985, and squishing a hedgehog (not sure if you've got them in the States, but there like a little mini porcupine) .. hedgehog just went 'ploof', and bits of blood & snots over the front of the bike - no punctures (from the spines), bit of twisty front wheel, but rode through it.

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

post #48 of 58 Old Aug 25th, 2006, 1:58 pm

Wildlife

After reading many of these tales it makes me glad that we do not have the same problem over here, it is mainly suicidal sheep and smaller animals:

Riding into work this morning I noticed a rabbit in the road in front of me,
remembering some advice I headed straight for it.... and ran it over.

IIRC the advice to aim for small mammals in the road is based on the
assumption that the animal will run off in one direction so swerving will
give a 50% chance of hitting it whereas aiming for it will mean you miss it
(IYSWIM).

This advice needs to be modified.... it doesn't hold true if the animal is
already dead.

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #49 of 58 Old Aug 25th, 2006, 3:39 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hagar
How fast can a car go in reverse? About 1/2 mph faster than a rhino..
Remember, you only have to go 1/2 mph faster than your buddies's car.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #50 of 58 Old Nov 5th, 2006, 7:00 am

Thankfully the only deer I've ever hit have been with a 12 ga load of No. 1 buckshot. I won every one.

However on one of my first trips to work on my BMW, I had a near miss. Does that count? Not only was this a new bike for me, it was the first one I'd ever ridden that I had to shift gears, and use a foot brake, so I had to learn in a hurry.

I was leaving the house, and the road out to the "main road" is liberally mined with deer, but I have almost never seen one actually in the road. On the sides yes, but not on. I was running about 40 mph, and spotted "something" on the road, just at the edge of my low beam lights. Remembering someothing I had just read in "Profecient Motorcycling" the night before, I grabbed the front brake, and the clutch at the same time, dropped down a gear or three, while feeding in some rear brake all at the same time, and came to a near stop in plenty of time to miss a 4 point buck standing in the road. He jumped back into the woods, I eased out the clutch, checking to see if there were any more around and went on my way.

Someone mentioned following a truck. My step-son and his GF were following a truck through Wyoming when the truck hit a cow. A very large cow I might add, but when they're flying at you, from under a truck, at night, I'm sure the all look pretty big. They hit bits and pieces of the cow, other bits and pieces hit them. It was a pretty good mess. Almost totaled the car.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in