What do I leave on the bike when I sell it? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Jun 5th, 2006, 12:03 pm Thread Starter

Question What do I leave on the bike when I sell it?

It's no secret that I'm seriously contemplating a new GT. Whether that means selling the Ninja, the LT, or both to get it is still somewhat undecided. The bottom line is, one of them will go for sure...if not both.

The big question running through my mind is, "What do I remove before selling?". It seems to me that most of the time, people are basically just giving away the "extras" when they sell a bike. Is this true? What accessories make or break a deal?

There are no wrong answers here. Please respond. ('Cept you Meese! )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Jun 5th, 2006, 12:06 pm

Well, I would throw in the polished frame for starters.

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
'02 K1200LTC "The Silver Snoopy" (gone but not forgotten)
'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 Old Jun 5th, 2006, 12:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
It's no secret that I'm seriously contemplating a new GT. Whether that means selling the Ninja, the LT, or both to get it is still somewhat undecided. The bottom line is, one of them will go for sure...if not both.

The big question running through my mind is, "What do I remove before selling?". It seems to me that most of the time, people are basically just giving away the "extras" when they sell a bike. Is this true? What accessories make or break a deal?

Don't axe me...couldn't hardly GIVE my LT away for the longest. Finally got the best deal from BMW itself!!! Actually, from Bob!

I hear ya can get a quicker sale by giving all the farkles away...but I kept mine in "like new" condition. If ya DO give that crap away...only give away that which is obsolete or close to it!!! ...

Good luck!

post #4 of 18 Old Jun 5th, 2006, 12:14 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoog62
Well, I would throw in the polished frame for starters.
But I worked so hard!!!
post #5 of 18 Old Jun 5th, 2006, 12:37 pm

Motor, wheels, transmission, seat, that kinda stuff
post #6 of 18 Old Jun 5th, 2006, 12:58 pm

Farkles

My $.02 worth (remember, you get what ya pay for )

If the farkle was mounted in a way that modified the body work, I would leave it mounted. I.e. lites, foot pegs etc.

If you have a custom seat and only that seat well.....

Intercom, GPS, etc.. if you didn't butcher the wiring and have a use for it I would use your judgement on value to you.

If removing the farkle will do cosmetic damage leave it.

Tough decisions but follow your instincts.

Get a GL1800 and you won't need any of the Beemer farkles

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT

Last edited by bigbear; Jun 5th, 2006 at 1:35 pm. Reason: wording
post #7 of 18 Old Jun 5th, 2006, 1:02 pm
RMW

Joe,

I always want the new and improved farkles on a new bike. Seems to me the few cents on the dollar you get reselling accessories is not worth the effort.

The Moto-Lights I'd transfer if they will fit the new bike. I'd also keep my radar detector (if its a current model) Not much else I'd mess with.

A good clean bike like yours well equipped and maintained will always sell well.

Good luck with the sale (if you sell).

Ron Wilkerson
05 LT
07 KLR
09 GSA
post #8 of 18 Old Jun 5th, 2006, 1:45 pm

The question of what stays usually depends on who I'm selling to, any agreements with them about certain equipment, and what I can remove without causing any damage to the bike.

The usual things, GPS, radar detectors, etc I almost always take off. Safety things like additional turn signals, reflective stickers, etc I'll leave on there. If I were to sell my ST, I would probably also remove the bar risers, Givi top box, SmarTire, and various other electrical things that I've added (probably would leave the PIAA 910s though), and I've bought replacement plastics so that I can remove all the electrical switches I've added and not leave a trace of their prior existence.

I'd saw it really depends on what you could reuse on the GT, and what might bring enough value to sell separately to warrant the time needed to strip things off the bike.
post #9 of 18 Old Jun 5th, 2006, 2:06 pm
Premium Vendor

List the bike with two prices, with and without options but leave them on the bike to show. Have your "firm" price set in your mind that you want for it to sell for, including the accessories. Mark the whole thing up to full retail value(with "or best offer") and let the prospect work you down to your "firm" price. It's all about getting them in the door for the test ride. The options will generate more interest from real buyers that know what they are looking for.Check with your bank and see if they accept third party credit card transactions. If they do, list it with "credit cards accepted" and you will double your ad response.You make the sale take the buyer to your bank,run his card pay the 1.5-2.25% fee to the bank and deposit the money right to your account with them.

Tony 05

Last edited by BUGKILLER; Jun 5th, 2006 at 6:58 pm.
post #10 of 18 Old Jun 5th, 2006, 2:10 pm

Definitely, indubitably.... your ass. You might have to be hauled off it kicking and screaming.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
post #11 of 18 Old Jun 5th, 2006, 2:39 pm

Smile

I'd say it depends on the accessory - do you want to keep it and put it on the next bike, if so, what's it worth used, what will it cost new, is it worth the time and trouble to remove it, etc.

When I bought my RT (used) it came with bag guards, cylinder head guards, backrest. The seller didn't value them, and so I certainly didn't. I took all that stuff off and sold it, adding PIAAs, Corbin, C.B. w/s, barbacks, Kisan, supplemental brake light, Throttlemeister. When (if) I sell it, I'll probably leave all the electrical stuff and keep the other stuff to either put on the next bike (if it's an RT) or sell them separately.

The LT that I bought (used) had zip options other than a tank bag, which I also removed. Now it also has the PIAAs, C.B. w/s.... damn, this disease never stops, does it? :-)

Michael

Life is too short to compromise on your toys.

Current collection:

'08 R1200GS Namabia Orange
'08 335 Coupe
'11 535 Sedan (on order)
post #12 of 18 Old Jun 5th, 2006, 2:56 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

I left everything on the bike when I sold it. Listed what was on it in on the farkles thread a while back. Roger saw that list. When I mentioned I was thinking of selling the bike, Roger said he was interested. I sent him the list with the prices of the 35 farkles on the bike. He bought it. He did not want anyone else to beat him out of buying it. No ads in Classifieds, no scam emails.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #13 of 18 Old Jun 5th, 2006, 3:01 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaffyK
I left everything on the bike when I sold it. Listed what was on it in on the farkles thread a while back. Roger saw that list. When I mentioned I was thinking of selling the bike, Roger said he was interested. I sent him the list with the prices of the 35 farkles on the bike. He bought it. He did not want anyone else to beat him out of buying it. No ads in Classifieds, no scam emails.
Are you trying to talk dirty to me?!
post #14 of 18 Old Jun 5th, 2006, 3:10 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

No Joe.

Just that it sold without any advertising effort due to the farkles on the bike in my case. YMMV

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #15 of 18 Old Jun 5th, 2006, 4:00 pm

I would take off whatever I was going to be putting on the GT...If it doesn't go on the new GT it stays with the old bike,,,, Just my thoughts after all you didn't buy all the gadgets for their resale value did you??? ............Regards Pete
post #16 of 18 Old Jun 5th, 2006, 4:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaffyK
You forgot to mention that you offered me the bike with or without three of the major farkles on the bike. I believe the GPS, Radar and Hela Micro HID's. But I really wanted those three things so I was willing to pay you more.

And I added two more to make it 37 farkles, or accessories, after all this is Joe's thread.

The two I added were a Throttle Rocker and a Bigfoot. Man am I cheap. I wonder still if Wayne might have more than me?

Roger
BMW R1100RT '00
HumpDayDinnerClub

post #17 of 18 Old Jun 6th, 2006, 1:33 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Apparently there are just wrong responders.

I don't figure my '02 will be worth much when I sell it. It's got close to 80K now, and will probably have over 100K by then. Plus I spend more time riding it that washing or detailing it. It is well taken care of, and has a few well-earned battle scars. But it's also brought me years of fun that can't be quantified in dollars.

Having said that, everything I've done to the bike is easily reversible. I stripped my '99 when I totaled it, and bolted everything on to my '02. I doubt most things will bolt right up to my next bike, but many of them will remain useful with whatever I get next.

Add-ons won't usually increase the value of the bike, but may make it sell easier than a stock bike. If something is worth your time and trouble to remove, either to reuse or to sell on, then do it. Otherwise, jut let it go with the bike.

But whatever you get, be sure to put aside a few $$ to get it set up properly. You know you'll need it.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #18 of 18 Old Jun 6th, 2006, 7:27 am

The way I see it, when it comes time to sell barbara, the person buying her will be buying the farkles and uni-go. The bike will be free.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in